Start by marking “The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy, #2)

The Knight Templar (The Crusades Trilogy #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,466 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Published 2010 by Harper (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight Templar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight Templar

Jeanette
May 06, 2012 Jeanette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in the Crusades in the 12th century and religion
Recommended to Jeanette by: 0
I found this book to be an interesting and thought-provoking account of the Crusades. Guillou's discussions and interaction between Arn, the Knight Templar, and Saladin offer interesting insight into the struggle between Islam and Christianity that continues today.
Christina
An enjoyable tale. I liked the way the male and female story lines whent back and forth. I also enjoyed the character development and especially Celcelia Blanca's personality. Although, I do think it's clear the book was written by a man and not a mom. I am not sure how Celcelia rosa could pass any day with out feelings of horrible lose for the child taken from her. Nthe reunion is well done, but in think more time should have been spent on her feelings of loss for the child and just longing for...more
Joey
This is a fascinating historical and fictional work! I really enjoyed learning about life in the 1100's in the convents and monesteries of Norway, Sweden, and Finland and in particular with this book, the life of the crusaders in the holy land. The way the author weaves his story of the main character Arn around all of the pivotal events and politics of that day both in Jerusalem and Europe is amazing. He makes the characters so compelling that as you are reading about Arn's life in the holy lan...more
James
I was a bit worried about the pace of the first book in the series. It plodded along at times, and despite the title, Arn never made it to Jerusalem.

This book, however, definitely met and exceeded my expectations. The pacing is far better. Years have passed before the start of this book, and many years pass through the course of it. We're only provided with the most important points, with brief interludes of history to help explain the scenario.

Perhaps more important than the actual Templar Kni...more
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Arn Magnusson, Templar Knight, and Cecilia Rosa, convent resident
SERIES: #2 of 3
RATING: 4.0
WHY: I received this book for review and thought for sure that it would not be my cup of tea, as I am not really in to historicals. After I read it for a while, I realized that it wasn't even crime fiction; but by then, I was involved in the book. The second book in a trilogy, the focus shifts from Cecilia Rosa who is serving a 20-year penance in a convent for being an unwed mother, under an e...more
Coligne
Decisamente migliore del precedente, non ci sono quei punti morti che avevano penalizzato il primo volume della saga. Il libro scorre veloce, senza rallentamenti, complice una trama ben congegnata, avvincente e carica di emozioni.
Tra i personaggi meglio riusciti del libro spicca il Saladino, probabilmente il personaggio migliore del romanzo, che mette in ombra anche il protagonista. Interessante, e originale, il punto di vista di Guillou sulle Crociate, che fa esprimere per mezzo della voce narr...more
Carlos Eduardo
I found this book extremely interesting, amusing and entertaining. I have read this second chapter of the series after having read part of the history of the Roman Catholic Church (including the story of the Crusades and the time of the Outremer), as well as literature on the beginning of the Moghul empire. The combination of these three literary works led me to read over passages and stories over and over again to understand how impactful they were (I understand that two of the three are works...more
Michael
"The Templar Knight" continues the story of Arn Magnusson, now a Knight Templar serving near Jerusalem; he is the Master of the garrison of Gaza. He is aided by his sub-ordinate and Sergeant, Armond De Gasgogne who is close to becoming a Knight himself.

The book alternates between the perspective of Arn and his bethrohed, Cecelia Algotsdotter who is confined in Varnhem, a convent in Sweden. Cecelia suffers harsh treatment at the hands of the Abbess Rikisa, who is loyal to the Sverker clan. A clan...more
Stephen Plank
By far and away the best trilogy that I have ever read. Having seen ARN, a movie that spun all three books into one movie - a gem, I had to read the books. The movie was the most expensive adventure that Sweden had ever put into a movie according to Wikipedia and it was worth it with one exception - the third book was cut short in so may ways. This book takes place in the Holy Land for a period of 20 years developing the main character to return home for the dream of a united Sweden.
Justin
Two stars might be a bit harsh but "it was ok" pretty accurately sums up my experience with this book. I enjoyed it in parts, was bored in others and thought there were too many characters to keep track of. I suppose, just like with the first book in the trilogy, The Road to Jerusalem , I liked this enough to eventually go on to read the last one. But just barely.
Howard Anders
This is the second book in the trilogy. As with "The Road to Jerusalem" chapters alternate between Arn and his love, Cecilia. Arn is now serving as a Templar in the Holy Land, and Cecilia has been exiled to a convent in Sweden. They must serve in their respective situations for twenty years. How they cope with this Church-enforced separation forms the crux of the story. While filled with action on both fronts, the story deals as much with the secular and religious political intrigue and social c...more
Redfox5
This book was better than the first one, but still an average read. I liked Cecilia's chapters more than Arns. I'm not sure I could have spent 20 years doing what both of them were doing. Cecilia was treated so badly. I'm sad that they spent the whole book apart. I don't have the third one so I won't see if they make it back to one another.
Patricia Strot
The second book of the trilogy left me wanting the third. The knight, Arn Magnusson, is in the middle east as Master of Gaza so there are many battle scenes. Battles in written form are difficult for me to absorb or find interest in typically but as the story moved on I became engrossed with them. Meanwhile, Arn's betrothed, Cecelia Rosa, is living in Gudhem convent with the abbess, Rikisse (sp?), who is one of the most evil characters in fiction!

Following the many, many characters is very diff...more
Nicolas Briozzo
Excelente, aunque el cruze con Saladino es muy probablemente ficcion del autor, no deja de ser una novela muy disfrutable.
Angie Bollard
The wait if FINALLY over. It's been translated into English!!! And with that introduction I may safely say that the wait was worth it. This book was well researched and written. Not only was Arn's story rich and full of depth, but the convent life of Cecilia was also very intriguing. Sometimes I couldn't wait to get out of the holy land with Arn where the royal court was intriguing and generally ruining things to get back to Gudhem to see the latest evil plan of Abbess Rikissa and how Cecilia Bl...more
Diane
This swashbuckling adventure is the second installment of the author's Crusades trilogy. The hero and heroine are separated; each carrying out penance. The hero is living as a Templar knight in the Holy Land, while the heroine is living in a Scandanavian convent. Both face challenges, especially as Saladin gathers his forces for an assault against the Crusaders, and the Christian empire in the Holy Land rots from within. The characters are mostly likable, and the plot is fast-paced. The author a...more
Matthew Evans
After the scene-setting of the first book, this second instalment made for an enjoyable and action-packed read. Whether set in the Holy Land or in Gotaland, the pace was steady and fleshed out with well rounded characters, no matter how regularly orbriefly they featured. The writing was excellent and I am thoroughly looking forward to the concluding book.
Cindy
A lovely surprise--I picked up book 1 on a lark and thoroughly enjoyed it. Book 2 was good, too. The translation from Swedish can sometimes be a bit mechanical, and Guillou sometimes falls into a rather pedantic history lesson. But by and large I enjoy the characters and appreciate the religious history. I've just downloaded the ebook to my iPad and started into book 3. Following Arn's progress from innocence to knowledge (without losing his faith and integrity!) is a lovely experience.
Janne Paananen
Trilogian ensiosassa oli pääosassa Arnin kasvutarina. Temppeliherrassa seurataan hänen kaksikymmenvuotista palvelustaan Temppeliritarina pyhällä maalla. Tarina seuraa myös hänen elämänsä rakkauden, Cecilian, edesottamuksia pohjolan luostareissa. Koko trilogian kantavia teemoja ovat rakkaus, kaipuu ja kunnia. Tässä toisessa osassa keskitytään ennen kaikkea kunniaan. Tarina pitää hyvin vahvasti otteessaan ja kokonaisuutena tämä toinen kirja on aivan yhtä hyvä kuin ensimmäinenkin.
Francois
Kathy
Love this series!! It was a while since I'd read part 1 so I had to remember some of the story, but overall this was a great story on it's own, and certainly left me anxious for the last book. The story is broken in parts between Arn & Celia, back & forth following their lives, and equally interesting. Some parts in the Holy Land wars dragged a bit, but still quite a lot of new info about Templars & Jerusalem ... you'll like this one.
Uh ... yeaaah ... I don't know what I think about this. I mean, not that much happened but at the same time a lot of things happened. The writing style was so weird.
If you're interested in crusade-stuff, though, then I strongly recommend this series, it gives great inside on religion, and we even get to see some Richard Lionheart (that's what he's called in English, isn't it?) and some Ivanhoe, so that was pretty cool.
Anna
Jun 07, 2007 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: 2013
This is without discrimination one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. Ever. It might not have the best literary quality, but it's more than good enough, a solid text, and wondeful. It has a love story (which is primary without being so; it is an arch rather than the immediate plot), medieval Scandinavia, the Crusades, compassion, theology, practical politics, oh, and horses. It is love.
Kelley
Ok. I have been getting a lot more reading done while waiting for the baby to fall asleep at night. Book 2 picks up with the characters after one of the main characters from the first book heads to Jerusalem to serve as a Knight Templar. I really enjoyed this book and my biggest disappointment was seeing that the 3rd book in the series is not due to be published until the end of June.
Sergio
La seconda parte della quadrilogia del templare è ancora più bella della precedente: ambientata tra Terrasanta e Vastergotland, (antica Svezia) continua a narrare in maniera avvincente le avventure di Arn Magnusson, templare in Palestina al tempo delle crociate e della sua donna Cecilia Rose relegata in un convento in patria, sottoposta alle crudeltà della badessa Rikissa.
Björn
Jan 04, 2008 Björn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Björn by: dad
Shelves: swedish
This is a fun historical fiction series set in medieval Sweden. I read it in the original Swedish, so I can't say if the translation is any good, but the story is engaging. It's in the mode of a standard fantasy in the sense that the protagonist is unbelievably adept at anything he tries, a regular renaissance man 600 years before his time.
Lukas Nisztuk
well I read his crusades trilogy , my favorite is a second part " Knight Templar" . All tale is about punishment which was imposed on two youth for having sex before marriage, may be funny nowdays but it was not in medieval realities. Lots of romanticism but also bloody battles, heroic people and of course struggle for Holy Land
Andrew
jumpy - it goes back and forth. And it reminds me of dean koontz, how the main character is this attempted deep renaissance man who regularly finds himself in situations requiring him to act. A light read, maybe, but if you're going to read it by the pool or something, be ready to skip a page or ten here or there.
Bernie Charbonneau
Oct 19, 2010 Bernie Charbonneau rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Historical Fiction Reader
Fabulous!! Having read other Templar novels and trilogy's, I am finding this series very enjoyable. I found the first novel of the trilogy quite good but this second book is even better! I have the third reserved at the library and cannot wait to see what happens to our hero Arn. Highly recommended.
Popularity 3 13 Apr 14, 2014 06:44AM
  • Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)
  • Holy Warrior (The Outlaw Chronicles, #2)
  • Freja: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
  • Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot: His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred
  • Marathon: Freedom or Death (Long War, #2)
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • En komikers uppväxt
  • White Jacket or, the World on a Man-of-War
  • Nicolas Eymerich, inquisitore
  • Mina drömmars stad (Stadsserien, #1)
  • The Field of Swords (Emperor, #3)
Jan Oscar Sverre Lucien Henri Guillou (born 17 January 1944) is a Swedish author and journalist. Among his books are a series of spy fiction novels about a spy named Carl Hamilton, and a trilogy of historical fiction novels about a Knight Templar, Arn Magnusson. He is the owner of one of the largest publishing companies in Sweden, Piratförlaget, together with Liza Marklund and his common-law wife,...more
More about Jan Guillou...
The Road to Jerusalem (The Knight Templar, #1) Ondskan The Kingdom at the End of the Road (The Crusades Trilogy, #3) Arvet efter Arn (The Crusades Trilogy, #4) Brobyggarna