Start by marking “Dewdroppers, Waldos, and Slackers: A Decade-By-Decade Guide to the Vanishing Vocabulary of the 20th Century” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Every era of the twentieth century from the "Roaring Twenties" to the "Me Decade" brought its own fads and trends and the language to go with them: fresh youth slang, up-to-the-minute buzzwords, and colorful catch phrases. Most of this new vocabulary exploded into the vernacular, only to fizzle a few years later as newer trends and more current events demanded their own te ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Dewdroppers, Waldos, and Slackers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dewdroppers, Waldos, and Slackers

Tracey
Dec 18, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each decade is covered in a general historical overview, with the slang words bolded. Then topics of interest to the decade are discussed, with the pertinent slang explained. For example, in the first chapter (actually covering 2 decades: 1900-1919) automobiles and motion pictures are two of the topics that spawned a large number of slang terms. Sidebars present additional historical information, and occasional pictures spice up the text.

I found this book very similar to Flappers 2 Rappers: Amer
Nancy
Jul 05, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
This was so much fun to read! If only my high school history textbooks had been in this format - lists of words and expressions representative of the culture (and sub-cultures) of a given time in (mostly) the U.S.
Roderick
Sep 06, 2015 Roderick rated it liked it
Decade-b-decade information about slang, popular culture and events of the 20th century. Notable lists of words, phrases, etc. which have seeped into common usage.
Rhonda
Mar 16, 2015 Rhonda rated it really liked it
This was not a read every page book but a jump around and remember... and then to read and realize where words and phrases we use and hear daily have come from in our lives...
Lucy
Good book on language and popular culture of the 20th century. Organized by decade, there's an introductory essay for each chapter and then word or phrase lists organized by topic. The only problem is that there's so much here that it's hard to hold onto what I've read. It was especially interesting to read the sections on decades I've lived through and see all the things I knew about and those I missed.
David
Aug 03, 2008 David rated it really liked it
A decade-by-decade guide to the vanishing vocabulary of the 20th century.

I'm a sucker for this kind of book to begin with, but Rosemarie Ostler does a fine job with this one. Organized by decade, it's fun to dip into. Or to read straight through, which is what I did.
Ryan
Dec 04, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
a microcosm of the evolution of language. each decade has hundreds of unique phrases and slang. some of them are with us today, some died out. i can't wait for the sequel to catalogue the next 50 years!
Karisa
This book married my three academic loves of language, history, and popular culture. It's more of a reference book, but it got me brainstorming a slew of new ideas for writing projects. I loved it!
DixieJo
Sep 25, 2010 DixieJo rated it liked it
a fun pick-a-page / glance at random information, dinner conversation with boys, etc. kind of book.
Kelly Paradise
Kelly Paradise marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Lira
Lira added it
Nov 19, 2015
Amanda Peterson
Amanda Peterson rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
S.I.
S.I. marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Mercer Smith
Mercer Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Terena Scott
Terena Scott rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Inknscroll
Inknscroll marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Thierry Cervantes
Thierry Cervantes rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Jesse
Jesse rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Laurel
Laurel added it
Nov 29, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Claire Eden
Claire Eden rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Rosemarie Ostler, a linguist and former librarian, writes books and articles about language, especially American slang, grammar, and linguistic history. She loves exploring the rich history of American language use.

Rosemarie's articles have appeared in The Saturday Evening Post, Whole Earth, Christian Science Monitor, Verbatim, Entrepreneur.com, and History News Network, among other places. She

More about Rosemarie Ostler...