Start by marking “The Robber Bride” as Want to Read:
The Robber Bride

The Robber Bride (Daring Debutantes #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Daring Debutantes, Book 1...

When Victoria Barclay, privileged daughter of the Viscount Grantham, has a life-altering experience as a young girl, it sets the course for the rest of her life. She is determined to make a difference in the world, no matter the consequence, and becomes a highwayman—or woman, as it were—robbing the rich and donating her pilfered gains to the poo
Published May 2nd 2011 by Night Shift Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Robber Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Robber Bride

Erin
Oct 05, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I love stories of women who defy traditional gender roles but novels of female highwaymen are a dime a dozen and a large portion of them aren't worth the time it takes to read the covers. After reading Celia Rees' Sovay, I've avoided these titles like the plague. Still, something about this novella said take a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Robber Bride. The characters aren't as polished as
Suzie Grant
Aug 22, 2011 Suzie Grant rated it it was amazing
Firmly on the shelf, Victoria Barclay had a little more freedom than most of the young ladies and after witnessing her mother's abuse toward "the poor" she swore she would find some way to make things right. Her determination to do the right thing really endeared her to me and though she was often naive in her beliefs she was adorable.

How could I not fall in love with one, Phineas Dartwell, the third earl of Leyburn. Finny was her brother’s best friend and when her older sibling took off to plac
April
I really fun little Historical Romance. This is the first book in a series with feisty gals and delightful rogues. This book sets the tone for the series and is terrific. These are clean romances, no steam, but they do have some lovely heart-stopping kisses.

Victoria is a great character, I am always a fan of a girl with courage and pluck. She thumbs her nose at typical things young ladies in London obsess over. A truly engaging and dynamic character. Although, she was a bit slow on the uptake wi
Trish R.
Mar 13, 2015 Trish R. rated it really liked it
I just bought this a while ago and enjoyed it immensely. There wasn’t any sex but there was a touch of sexual tension on Finn‘s part so anyone who wants to read a really cute love story this one is for you. As cute as the story was I don’t see where the title of The Robber Bride comes from. I almost considered not getting it for that reason but then my daughter read it and said it was so cute that I decided to get it. Victoria was definitely a robber but she was a Highwayman and she was not a br ...more
Tracy T
Mar 13, 2015 Tracy T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. Loved the heroine, Victoria, she was cute and sassy with a mind of her own. The hero, Phin was awesome. He was charismatic and sexy. There was no sex in this book so it is rated G. There is attraction and the mention of "breeches tightening" LOL so there is that.

The story line and plot was good. This book was full of great dialogue, lots of it. Since it was fairly short it wasn't full of filler nonsense. Always a plus not have to read or listen to all that filler non
Eli Yanti
May 13, 2012 Eli Yanti rated it it was amazing
i love this story, another robin hood story where the robin hood is a lady, wow, isn't it more nice story ;).

Great Jerrica ;)

Victoria Barclay adalah seorg lady yg didik sangat ketat / disiplin oleh ibunya, mulai dr cara berpakaian, cara duduk, hrs selalu mematuhi permintaan ibunya, dsbnya. Namun tidak ada seorang puy yg tahu bahwa sebenarnya victoria sudah berkecimpung sebagai highwayman / perampok jalanan selama 2 tahun.

Sampai ketika sahabat / teman bermain wkt kecil sekaligus tetangganya : Ph
Thom Swennes
Jun 20, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Robin Hood fueled on estrogen, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.

When eight-year-old Victoria Barclay peered out of the carriage, against her mother’s express instructions, she saw the world through the eyes of a child. This London neighborhood wasn’t like anything she could imagine. The grimy streets were bustling with activity. Unkempt men and women noisily went about their lives while dirty urchins rushed about; nothing like the ordered world to which she belonged. The shock was
Jenn Green
It wasn't bad and I liked the concept, but it just did not seem to be set up in a plausible manner. I try to suspend my disbelief as much as possible when I'm reading, but the way everything happens just seemed a little ridiculous - especially the ending.

I liked the hero, but was not too much a fan of the heroine. She seemed arrogant to me, playing judge and jury, and acting morally superior to everyone, including the hero. She didn't even try to give anyone a chance to help her, despite the her
Julie
Dec 04, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
Not my favorite. I started skimming it to get to the end.
Tonileg
Historical childhood friends turn into more in this English aristocracy romance.
Lady Victoria Barclay is well born, beautiful, smart and the wealthy daughter of the Viscount Grantham who get the terrible idea to try the 'Robin Hood' steal from the rich to give to the poor in her small poorhouse hospital in the slums of London. Which is more then a little unrealistic that she could get away alone to run this place because young well born ladies are never left alone in this time. So it comes to no
Liloshadow (ReNee)
Jul 20, 2013 Liloshadow (ReNee) rated it really liked it
Engaging story with a great plot...but poor character descriptions.

Pros: I really enjoyed this story about a young lady trying to right the 'wrongs' of the world. She is a brave heroine that knows her own mind and becomes the female version of Robin Hood. Her best friend the hero sets out to try and save her from herself. The ending of this story was spectacular, and the story as a whole was a thrilling page turner.

Cons: Even though I really like the story, it has TERRIBLE character description
Natasha Scheffler
Apr 24, 2015 Natasha Scheffler rated it really liked it
Well written and enjoyable

This was a story full of true To the time period facts and details. The story is based more on the story line than the romance that it boasts to be about. The characters are well defined and intertwined early in the story together. The ending didn't have some huge plot twist but was perfect for the flow of the entire story line and ended it perfectly. Kudos to the author for this enjoyable story.
Kyra Dunst
Jul 28, 2014 Kyra Dunst rated it really liked it
Victoria is definitely a daring young woman. After seeing the injustices of the poor, she decides to take up the life of highway robbery against her peers to find charity for the poor. Her neighbor and life long friend, Fin, discovers her activities by accident. Their friendship finally develops into romance as Fin realizes he dangers she is in and rushes to her rescue. I would read more from this author.
Rachel
Mar 26, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Touching, amusing and dramatic. Loved this book and waiting for pay-day to download the next in the series. Believable characters, and the way Victoria and Fin's relationship changes over the course of the book felt genuine. I thought the way the events of the story and the romance element intertwined worked really well, as neither overshadowed the other.
Kathy Bunbury
Aug 16, 2015 Kathy Bunbury rated it really liked it
Delightful Robin Hood Story

A smart quick read with lots of heart. Interesting swashbuckling saga meets boy next door romance. I enjoyed reading this book which doesn't disappoint.
Frances Shellings
Oct 29, 2014 Frances Shellings rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable

Its good to read a book where the herorine is also the villian lol... Headstrong women that have a cause... And its great when your best friend is your soulmate
Kristine
Not what I envisioned

Not what I thought. I was hoping for descriptive love scenes. Author had plenty of opportunities. Book was a romantic dream.
Maggie Hesseling
Jun 03, 2014 Maggie Hesseling rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I grew really bored with this novel and started skimming it to the end. It's a pretty standard story, but I just didn't click with the writing or the characters.
Katrina Hart
May 07, 2015 Katrina Hart rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed The Robber Bride. I thought it was a nice story about a girl who wanted to help others. It reminded me a little of a classy robin hood.
P.
Feb 23, 2015 P. rated it did not like it
Ugh! Poorly written in all aspects but worse the driving idea that terrorizing and stealing from even the stupid rich is repellent.
Teri
Sep 23, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
This novella is simple so my review will be as well. There's not much to criticize. It is a cut-and-dry tale of a female Robin Hood. This was my first shot at anything I'd call
historical fiction. While I am not the most interested in that particular category, I did admire Victoria Barclay's acts, her relationships with other characters. This book is charming and humorous and I'm glad I gave it a chance and spent the $.99 for the box set via kindle. While I did not fall in love with the book, it
Sally Hannoush
Jul 24, 2015 Sally Hannoush rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most the story but the ending didn't seem right to me. The writing was good and the characters were great.
Ditte
May 22, 2015 Ditte rated it did not like it
Shelves: free-kindle-book
Very unrealistic. So it's okay to rob rich dislikable people? The trial was just ridiculous.
Kelly Snyder
Mar 23, 2015 Kelly Snyder rated it really liked it
Who couldn't love this story. I wished it was longer because I didn't want it to end.
Karen Darling
Apr 22, 2015 Karen Darling rated it it was ok
a cute story but a little dull.
Patricia
A lovely little Robin Hood type story, except that the story has a few little twists Robin and Maid Marianne never had to deal with.
The plot is summarized as that: Robin Hood with a twist to fit in Regency England. The characters are nicely developed, if a little stilted at times. The heroes are modestly heroic, being upstaged by the heroine, who is strong, wonderful, and totally unexpected. I enjoyed this story.
Mary
Dec 20, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
I enjoyed this quick novella featuring a female Robin Hood who robs society snobs to fund a hospital. Will her childhood friend be able to protect her without losing his heart?
Jackie Lynn
Ok this was was really a disappointment. Victoria was annoying and she bitched about her mom too much. She acted like a child and was 24 years old. I like the story line but that's about it.
Turtles
Jul 02, 2013 Turtles rated it liked it
I would have liked this more if it had been a bit more daring, as it was... it was the most vanilla, non violent robber-anything book. But it was sweet, the characters fit well together.
Sara
Jun 05, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nice take on Robin Hood story. Victoria Barclay is stubborn but lovable. Fin is the ideal romantic hero. I got choked up over his declaration in front of everyone.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:25PM
  • A Scandalous Wife (Scandalous, #1)
  • Compromised for Christmas (Tenacious Trents, #1)
  • Love Pursued
  • Scandalous Brides (Four Bestselling Full-Length Regency Novels)
  • At His Hand (​The Pirate and the Feisty Maid, #1)
  • To Lure a Proper Lady (Duke-Defying Daughters #1)
  • Bargaining With a Rake (Whisper of Scandal, #1)
  • Scandalous Virtue (The Saint of Seven Dials, #0)
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • Unexpected Comfort
  • Mad About Ivy (Berkshire Brides, #0.5)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • At Last
  • Red Satin
  • The Perfect Lady Worthe
  • Love is all You Need: A Sweet Romance Box Set
  • Lost and Found
  • Almost Perfect
After obtaining a degree in Vocal Performance from the Manhattan School of Music, and years of pursuing a career on the stage, Jerrica left the "glamorous" life of an actress in favor of writing romance. She continues to reside in the New York City area with her husband, cat and their precious daughter.
More about Jerrica Knight-Catania...

Daring Debutantes (3 books)
  • The Gypsy Bride
  • The Stage Bride (The Daring Debutantes, #3)