The Robber Bride

The Robber Bride (Daring Debutantes #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Daring Debutantes, Book 1...

When Victoria Barclay, privileged daughter of the Viscount Grantham, has a life-altering experience as a young girl, it sets the course for the rest of her life. She is determined to make a difference in the world, no matter the consequence, and becomes a highwayman—or woman, as it were—robbing the rich and donating her pilfered gains to the poo...more
Published May 2nd 2011 by Night Shift Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Robber Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Robber Bride

Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I love stories of women who defy traditional gender roles but novels of female highwaymen are a dime a dozen and a large portion of them aren't worth the time it takes to read the covers. After reading Celia Rees' Sovay, I've avoided these titles like the plague. Still, something about this novella said take a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Robber Bride. The characters aren't as polished as...more
Suzie Grant
Firmly on the shelf, Victoria Barclay had a little more freedom than most of the young ladies and after witnessing her mother's abuse toward "the poor" she swore she would find some way to make things right. Her determination to do the right thing really endeared her to me and though she was often naive in her beliefs she was adorable.

How could I not fall in love with one, Phineas Dartwell, the third earl of Leyburn. Finny was her brother’s best friend and when her older sibling took off to plac...more
April
I really fun little Historical Romance. This is the first book in a series with feisty gals and delightful rogues. This book sets the tone for the series and is terrific. These are clean romances, no steam, but they do have some lovely heart-stopping kisses.

Victoria is a great character, I am always a fan of a girl with courage and pluck. She thumbs her nose at typical things young ladies in London obsess over. A truly engaging and dynamic character. Although, she was a bit slow on the uptake wi...more
Eli Yanti
i love this story, another robin hood story where the robin hood is a lady, wow, isn't it more nice story ;).

Great Jerrica ;)

Victoria Barclay adalah seorg lady yg didik sangat ketat / disiplin oleh ibunya, mulai dr cara berpakaian, cara duduk, hrs selalu mematuhi permintaan ibunya, dsbnya. Namun tidak ada seorang puy yg tahu bahwa sebenarnya victoria sudah berkecimpung sebagai highwayman / perampok jalanan selama 2 tahun.

Sampai ketika sahabat / teman bermain wkt kecil sekaligus tetangganya : Ph...more
Tonileg
Historical childhood friends turn into more in this English aristocracy romance.
Lady Victoria Barclay is well born, beautiful, smart and the wealthy daughter of the Viscount Grantham who get the terrible idea to try the 'Robin Hood' steal from the rich to give to the poor in her small poorhouse hospital in the slums of London. Which is more then a little unrealistic that she could get away alone to run this place because young well born ladies are never left alone in this time. So it comes to no...more
Julie
Not my favorite. I started skimming it to get to the end.
Liloshadow
Engaging story with a great plot...but poor character descriptions.

Pros: I really enjoyed this story about a young lady trying to right the 'wrongs' of the world. She is a brave heroine that knows her own mind and becomes the female version of Robin Hood. Her best friend the hero sets out to try and save her from herself. The ending of this story was spectacular, and the story as a whole was a thrilling page turner.

Cons: Even though I really like the story, it has TERRIBLE character description...more
Kyra Dunst
Victoria is definitely a daring young woman. After seeing the injustices of the poor, she decides to take up the life of highway robbery against her peers to find charity for the poor. Her neighbor and life long friend, Fin, discovers her activities by accident. Their friendship finally develops into romance as Fin realizes he dangers she is in and rushes to her rescue. I would read more from this author.
Maggi Hesseling
I grew really bored with this novel and started skimming it to the end. It's a pretty standard story, but I just didn't click with the writing or the characters.
Teri
This novella is simple so my review will be as well. There's not much to criticize. It is a cut-and-dry tale of a female Robin Hood. This was my first shot at anything I'd call
historical fiction. While I am not the most interested in that particular category, I did admire Victoria Barclay's acts, her relationships with other characters. This book is charming and humorous and I'm glad I gave it a chance and spent the $.99 for the box set via kindle. While I did not fall in love with the book, it...more
Mary
I enjoyed this quick novella featuring a female Robin Hood who robs society snobs to fund a hospital. Will her childhood friend be able to protect her without losing his heart?
Jackie Lynn (loves cats)
Ok this was was really a disappointment. Victoria was annoying and she bitched about her mom too much. She acted like a child and was 24 years old. I like the story line but that's about it.
Turtles
I would have liked this more if it had been a bit more daring, as it was... it was the most vanilla, non violent robber-anything book. But it was sweet, the characters fit well together.
Sara
Nice take on Robin Hood story. Victoria Barclay is stubborn but lovable. Fin is the ideal romantic hero. I got choked up over his declaration in front of everyone.
Cristina
nice.. to be able to over come from what you are, and in the end to love someone that has been in your life... and to be able to help others before your self!!!
Zoe
Worth a read, it was a little samey but still quite good. A nice book to curl up with if you don't want have to think to hard.
Lisa
while characters speak in mostly modern language the story is good and moves along quickly.....liked Fin.
Patrice
Super Adorable!
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Shelly Matheny
Shelly Matheny marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sasha Cameron
Sasha Cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tarran
Tarran marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Hesta Rafuse
Hesta Rafuse marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Ice Captain's Daughter
  • To Marry a Marquess
  • Mine, All Mine
  • Forevermore (Jewel #2.5)
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • Stroke of Genius
  • A Knight's Persuasion (Knight's, #4)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Take My Heart
  • A Delightful Arrangement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #1)
  • Lynna's Rogue
  • Secrets of Midnight
  • The Training of a Marquess
  • Seducing Miss Dunaway
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Lost and Found
  • Lord of Devil Isle
  • Taffeta and Hotspur
After obtaining a degree in Vocal Performance from the Manhattan School of Music, and years of pursuing a career on the stage, Jerrica left the "glamorous" life of an actress in favor of writing romance. She continues to reside in the New York City area with her husband, cat and their precious daughter.
More about Jerrica Knight-Catania...
The Wary Widow A Gentleman Never Tells (The Wetherby Brides, Book 1) More Than A Governess The Bedeviled Bride A Summons From the Duke