Start by marking “The Robber Bride” as Want to Read:
The Robber Bride

The Robber Bride (Daring Debutantes #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Daring Debutantes, Book 1...

When Victoria Barclay, privileged daughter of the Viscount Grantham, has a life-altering experience as a young girl, it sets the course for the rest of her life. She is determined to make a difference in the world, no matter the consequence, and becomes a highwayman—or woman, as it were—robbing the rich and donating her pilfered gains to the poo
Published May 2nd 2011 by Night Shift Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Robber Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Robber Bride

Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I love stories of women who defy traditional gender roles but novels of female highwaymen are a dime a dozen and a large portion of them aren't worth the time it takes to read the covers. After reading Celia Rees' Sovay, I've avoided these titles like the plague. Still, something about this novella said take a chance.

I was pleasantly surprised by The Robber Bride. The characters aren't as polished as
Suzie Grant
Firmly on the shelf, Victoria Barclay had a little more freedom than most of the young ladies and after witnessing her mother's abuse toward "the poor" she swore she would find some way to make things right. Her determination to do the right thing really endeared her to me and though she was often naive in her beliefs she was adorable.

How could I not fall in love with one, Phineas Dartwell, the third earl of Leyburn. Finny was her brother’s best friend and when her older sibling took off to plac
April
I really fun little Historical Romance. This is the first book in a series with feisty gals and delightful rogues. This book sets the tone for the series and is terrific. These are clean romances, no steam, but they do have some lovely heart-stopping kisses.

Victoria is a great character, I am always a fan of a girl with courage and pluck. She thumbs her nose at typical things young ladies in London obsess over. A truly engaging and dynamic character. Although, she was a bit slow on the uptake wi
Trish R.
I just bought this a while ago and enjoyed it immensely. There wasn’t any sex but there was a touch of sexual tension on Finn‘s part so anyone who wants to read a really cute love story this one is for you. As cute as the story was I don’t see where the title of The Robber Bride comes from. I almost considered not getting it for that reason but then my daughter read it and said it was so cute that I decided to get it. Victoria was definitely a robber but she was a Highwayman and she was not a br ...more
Tracy T
I really enjoyed this story. Loved the heroine, Victoria, she was cute and sassy with a mind of her own. The hero, Phin was awesome. He was charismatic and sexy. There was no sex in this book so it is rated G. There is attraction and the mention of "breeches tightening" LOL so there is that.

The story line and plot was good. This book was full of great dialogue, lots of it. Since it was fairly short it wasn't full of filler nonsense. Always a plus not have to read or listen to all that filler non
Eli Yanti
i love this story, another robin hood story where the robin hood is a lady, wow, isn't it more nice story ;).

Great Jerrica ;)

Victoria Barclay adalah seorg lady yg didik sangat ketat / disiplin oleh ibunya, mulai dr cara berpakaian, cara duduk, hrs selalu mematuhi permintaan ibunya, dsbnya. Namun tidak ada seorang puy yg tahu bahwa sebenarnya victoria sudah berkecimpung sebagai highwayman / perampok jalanan selama 2 tahun.

Sampai ketika sahabat / teman bermain wkt kecil sekaligus tetangganya : Ph
Julie
Not my favorite. I started skimming it to get to the end.
Tonileg
Historical childhood friends turn into more in this English aristocracy romance.
Lady Victoria Barclay is well born, beautiful, smart and the wealthy daughter of the Viscount Grantham who get the terrible idea to try the 'Robin Hood' steal from the rich to give to the poor in her small poorhouse hospital in the slums of London. Which is more then a little unrealistic that she could get away alone to run this place because young well born ladies are never left alone in this time. So it comes to no
Liloshadow (ReNee)
Engaging story with a great plot...but poor character descriptions.

Pros: I really enjoyed this story about a young lady trying to right the 'wrongs' of the world. She is a brave heroine that knows her own mind and becomes the female version of Robin Hood. Her best friend the hero sets out to try and save her from herself. The ending of this story was spectacular, and the story as a whole was a thrilling page turner.

Cons: Even though I really like the story, it has TERRIBLE character description
Natasha Scheffler
Well written and enjoyable

This was a story full of true To the time period facts and details. The story is based more on the story line than the romance that it boasts to be about. The characters are well defined and intertwined early in the story together. The ending didn't have some huge plot twist but was perfect for the flow of the entire story line and ended it perfectly. Kudos to the author for this enjoyable story.
Kyra Dunst
Victoria is definitely a daring young woman. After seeing the injustices of the poor, she decides to take up the life of highway robbery against her peers to find charity for the poor. Her neighbor and life long friend, Fin, discovers her activities by accident. Their friendship finally develops into romance as Fin realizes he dangers she is in and rushes to her rescue. I would read more from this author.
Rachel
Touching, amusing and dramatic. Loved this book and waiting for pay-day to download the next in the series. Believable characters, and the way Victoria and Fin's relationship changes over the course of the book felt genuine. I thought the way the events of the story and the romance element intertwined worked really well, as neither overshadowed the other.
Kathy Bunbury
Delightful Robin Hood Story

A smart quick read with lots of heart. Interesting swashbuckling saga meets boy next door romance. I enjoyed reading this book which doesn't disappoint.
Frances Shellings
Very enjoyable

Its good to read a book where the herorine is also the villian lol... Headstrong women that have a cause... And its great when your best friend is your soulmate
Kristine
Not what I envisioned

Not what I thought. I was hoping for descriptive love scenes. Author had plenty of opportunities. Book was a romantic dream.
Maggi Hesseling
I grew really bored with this novel and started skimming it to the end. It's a pretty standard story, but I just didn't click with the writing or the characters.
Katrina Hart
I enjoyed The Robber Bride. I thought it was a nice story about a girl who wanted to help others. It reminded me a little of a classy robin hood.
P.
Ugh! Poorly written in all aspects but worse the driving idea that terrorizing and stealing from even the stupid rich is repellent.
Teri
This novella is simple so my review will be as well. There's not much to criticize. It is a cut-and-dry tale of a female Robin Hood. This was my first shot at anything I'd call
historical fiction. While I am not the most interested in that particular category, I did admire Victoria Barclay's acts, her relationships with other characters. This book is charming and humorous and I'm glad I gave it a chance and spent the $.99 for the box set via kindle. While I did not fall in love with the book, it
Sally Hannoush
I enjoyed most the story but the ending didn't seem right to me. The writing was good and the characters were great.
Ditte
Very unrealistic. So it's okay to rob rich dislikable people? The trial was just ridiculous.
Kelly
Who couldn't love this story. I wished it was longer because I didn't want it to end.
Karen Darling
a cute story but a little dull.
Patricia
A lovely little Robin Hood type story, except that the story has a few little twists Robin and Maid Marianne never had to deal with.
The plot is summarized as that: Robin Hood with a twist to fit in Regency England. The characters are nicely developed, if a little stilted at times. The heroes are modestly heroic, being upstaged by the heroine, who is strong, wonderful, and totally unexpected. I enjoyed this story.
Mary
I enjoyed this quick novella featuring a female Robin Hood who robs society snobs to fund a hospital. Will her childhood friend be able to protect her without losing his heart?
Jackie Lynn
Ok this was was really a disappointment. Victoria was annoying and she bitched about her mom too much. She acted like a child and was 24 years old. I like the story line but that's about it.
Turtles
I would have liked this more if it had been a bit more daring, as it was... it was the most vanilla, non violent robber-anything book. But it was sweet, the characters fit well together.
Sara
Nice take on Robin Hood story. Victoria Barclay is stubborn but lovable. Fin is the ideal romantic hero. I got choked up over his declaration in front of everyone.
Cristina
nice.. to be able to over come from what you are, and in the end to love someone that has been in your life... and to be able to help others before your self!!!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:25PM
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • The Last Honest Seamstress
  • The Pirate and the Feisty Maid: Part One - At His Hand (​The Pirate and the Feisty Maid, #1)
  • Wallflower (The Old Maids' Club, #1)
  • A Scandalous Pursuit (Scandalous, #3)
  • The Warrior's Wife
  • The Rejected Suitor
  • A Delightful Arrangement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #1)
  • Stroke of Genius
  • My Lord Wicked
  • Mine, All Mine
  • Promise Me
  • The Marriage List
  • Wonderland by Night
  • At Last
  • Lost and Found
  • A Perfect Gentleman (Tenacious Trents, Book #3)
  • To Tame a Renegade (Delaney Trilogy,#2)
After obtaining a degree in Vocal Performance from the Manhattan School of Music, and years of pursuing a career on the stage, Jerrica left the "glamorous" life of an actress in favor of writing romance. She continues to reside in the New York City area with her husband, cat and their precious daughter.
More about Jerrica Knight-Catania...

Daring Debutantes (3 books)
  • The Gypsy Bride
  • The Stage Bride (The Daring Debutantes, #3)
The Wary Widow (Wetherby Brides, #3) A Gentleman Never Tells (Wetherby Brides, #1) More Than A Governess (Wetherby Brides, #2) The Bedeviled Bride (Wetherby Brides, #4) A Summons From the Duke