Start by marking “The Little Universe” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Little Universe

What if you could create a universe: a miniature self-enclosed universe? Imagine having probing cameras that could focus to any star or planet looking for life. And once you found life, what if you could accelerate time and watch it evolve? What might you find? These are not the questions Jon Gruber ponders as he pedals to his next carpentry job. Over thirty and unmarried, ...more
Published June 16th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Universe

Alana Woods
Nov 23, 2013 Alana Woods rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered about The Big Bang? What it was, how it happened? Wonder no more. Instead, follow the characters in this huge-in-scope novel as they set about re-creating it. Do they succeed? Oh yes. And how. With the help of an infinitely talented and intelligent computer named Jim they build their own little universe within the confines of a purpose-built building and then proceed to tweak, play and interact with planetary inhabitants to suit their own purposes.

The investors see only th
Charlotte Abel
Oct 12, 2011 Charlotte Abel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi and philosophy fans
“The Little Universe” by Jason Matthews is worth more than the $2.99 price and lost sleep you’re sure to experience once you begin this un-put-downable novel. Even after finishing the book, I’m still losing sleep because I can’t stop thinking about it.

There are quite a few excellent stories by indie authors, but all too often they are riddled with typos, formatting errors and grammatical gaffs. This book is NOT one of them. Not only is the plot based on a brilliant and original concept, it is we
Jason Matthews
Aug 26, 2011 Jason Matthews added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first novel, would like to see the movie version.
_yay_
This copy was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Kindle Edition, published June 16th, 2011
Create Space
Thank you for the review copy!

What defines a loser? Jon Gruber wonders if it’s him. He’s an unmarried carpenter without a car. Do I even need to mention he’s over 30? Maybe meeting Webster Adams is a blessing, for the astronomer gives Jon a new outlook on life. He’s a brilliant inventor trying to create a universe in miniature form. Against all odds the experiment works
Alexis
Aug 31, 2011 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Summary:

Jon Gruber is an average guy, a carpenter who lives his life without questioning too much. Then one day Webster Adams, a man who hired him for a routine job, starts talking about how the universe began. Interested, Jon accompanies him to his workplace where Adams shows Jon that he’s attempting to recreate The Big Bang in a model of the universe. There, Jon meets Jim, an artificial intelligence entity who assists in the project. Adams hires Jon as an assistant, as well, and soon Jon meets
David
Sep 03, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
This delightful, subtly humorous novel asks the question, "What might happen if you could create your own universe in miniature, and explore it to whatever level of detail you desired?" From the very first page, I was pulled into the story, and I couldn't put the book down. Most of the book is conversational rather than narrative, which helps to propel the story forward; there are no dull moments.

There are many social aspects to the story that seem implausible; how an experiment of this magnitud
G.F. Smith
Nov 02, 2011 G.F. Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Matthew’s the Little Universe is a work of art, not only as his book’s cover depicts, but as its content reveals. A group of scientists, with the help of an anthropomorphically interesting computer, create a miniature universe in a lab. As the little universe grows exponentially, the group microscopically observes degrees of life and development on numerous discovered planets. The group itself then begins a journey of technological, as well as spiritual growth.
Using accurate terminology fr
Jessica Buike
Sep 01, 2011 Jessica Buike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Though touted as a "spiritual novel," this book really can appeal to all people interested in existentialism, evolution, creationism, sci-fi, science, and more!
Imagine being able to create a self-contained universe in a room, and being able to monitor how it evolves and changes throughout millions of years while you are only experiencing days - that is the intriguing concept behind this book. Would you want to learn more about spirituality? Or scientific advancement? Or human nature? Evolution?
Adam
Wow, loved this book.

For me, The Little Universe is a beautiful, deep and moving experience. Matthews has a gift for flowing, artful prose and vivid characters--Jim especially had me transfixed. The plot twist towards the end is masterful and completely spun my brain around inside my head. That was awesome.

The ending is brilliant as well and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, "Jim's Life."

This book took me awhile to read, not because I wasn't captivated, intrigued and mesmerized, but
Kelly Waks
Sep 24, 2011 Kelly Waks rated it it was amazing
As an atheist, reading this book bring a creative light to a lifetime long argument that everyone has been part of at one time or another. By taking the idea of creationism and applying it through science, the author makes you think about what if someone did make us, whether you look at it as did God make us, or our we a small universe in a science experiment gone right.
Andrew
Sep 16, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Scientist achieves his goal of creating a miniature universe in a lab. But not only are galaxies, stars and planets formed but life establishes itself in this universe. The Scientist, who has been an atheist all his life, gradually questions his views on creation. I enjoyed this book which raised questions of science, creation, evolution and religion.
Jack Webb
Sep 09, 2014 Jack Webb rated it it was amazing
an amazing book. I did not want to put it down but to go to the next and then the next page to see how it would turn out. I cannot say enough about how impactful the book is on many levels. Makes me want to look into the subconscious.
InD'tale Magazine
For those who have ever wondered how the universe started, what it was like, or when life really began, this is the perfect book!

Read full review in the 2012 October issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Anders
Anders rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Ura Auckland
Ura Auckland rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2013
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Rodica McCoy
Rodica McCoy rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2012
Rhonda Stratton
Rhonda Stratton rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
john donohue
john donohue rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2014
Tina Clark
Tina Clark rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Nicki805
May 15, 2012 Nicki805 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Robin Thomas
Robin Thomas rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Tui Allen
Tui Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2011
Frederik
Frederik rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Laureano Villanueva
Laureano Villanueva rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend
  • Astronauts and Heretics
  • Passion, Power & Sin - Books 1-5
  • United Moon Colonies
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 6 (Yesterday's Gone, #6)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • The Big Jump
  • The God In The Clear Rock
  • Realms Unreel
  • There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Gabriel's Redemption
  • Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)
  • When Lightning Strikes
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Ninja
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
Jason Matthews author writer
Jason Matthews is an author, self-publishing teacher and blogger working with writers around the world. His novels and how-to guides include:
Jim's Life
Self Publish to a World of Readers: with Amazon, Apple, Google and Other Major Retailers
How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks All for Free
Get On Google Front Page
How to Make Your Own Free Website: And Your Free Blog Too
Bette
More about Jason Matthews...