Start by marking “Jacob's Return” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Jacob Sauder abandons his Amish heritage when the woman he loves, Rachel Zook, agrees to marry his brother, Simon. Though he adapts to the ways of the "English" - even fathering twins - he remains an outsider. When the mother of his twins dies, Jacob knows only one way to raise his children - the Amish way. He brings them home to the community he vowed to leave forever. Fo ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Lachesis Publishing (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jacob's Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob's Return

Doris O'Connor
I read this on the recommendation of a friend, as I fancied reading something different. The blurb intrigued me and I've read the odd Amish romance novel before and quite enjoyed them, so I was looking forward to reading it.

Well, I can honestly say this is one of the best books I've read in a long time. This is not an inspirational novel, so don't read it if you're expecting one. Whilst there is a strong Christian theme, this book deals with some tough subjects. Adultery, domestic abuse, to name
Penny Watson
Jacob's Return is an incredibly moving and emotionally intense novel. This is an Amish love story and it is a powerful bit of storytelling. I found this book mesmerizing--could not put it down. Blair has done a superb job immersing the reader into the Amish way of life. The characters are wonderful....real, nuanced, conflicted, loving. This book does not shy away from tragedy....it's simply unavoidable here. But after an emotional roller coaster, the ending was absolute perfection. Lovely, unexp ...more
Maureen Timerman
Discription: Jacob Sauder abandons his Amish heritage when the woman he loves, Rachel Zook, agrees to marry his brother, Simon. Though he adapts to the ways of the “English” — even fathering twins — he remains an outsider. When the mother of his twins dies, Jacob knows only one way to raise his children — the Amish way. He brings them home to the community he vowed to leave forever. For his children he can do anything, even be strong when he sees Rachel, his love, married to his brother.

Years ag
Wendy Hines
The cover of this book is very misleading. When you look at it, you think bodice ripper. That is so not the case. Thee I Love IS a romance, but set in the Amish society.

Jakob was banished years ago from his Amish community, but is now back because he has a set of twins that he wants to raise Amish. When he left, the woman that he loved was about to marry his brother Simon.

He and his children are welcomed back into the community, and before long, Jakob and Rachel are trying very hard to stay one
Anita
reading this was frustrating!

I just wanted to throttle Simon, the brother/ husband/ deacon/ abuser! from childhood he has jeolousy and guilt issues. he tricked them with lies at his mother's funeral. has made her life miserable ever since - even using his church position to embarrass and shame his wife.

I thought it was sad that BOTH fathers did not act on what they saw and knew to stop the abuse.

Even after Simon stops abusing her directly he takes it out on her printing press. everyone sees .
Dianne
This is my second book by Annette Blair and my first Amish romance novel. I enjoyed this book very much. This book had an interesting storyline and I enjoyed reading about life in an Amish community. For an outsider it seems rather harsh at times - I have always been fascinated about the Amish culture and lifestyle. The characters in the book including the children were believable and the love between Jacob and Rachel was beautiful to watch grow and develop. I highly recommend this book.

Victoria
I liked this book very much. It is not a christian inspirational novel as such. It is a romance novel with a few mild sex scenes and a satisfying storyline. I grew up around Amish/Mennonite people in the Northeast. What I best liked about this book is that the Amish people were portrayed as regular people, with regular emotions and flaws, as opposed to the stereotype of Amish people are repressed, religious, and mean.

It is absolutely worth a read.
Sue Laitinen
I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved the story line and it kept moving and kept you engrossed the whole entire time. However, because of descriptive scenes within the book, this book can not be considered christian fiction. But even so, the scenes were tastfully done, and not in any way explicit. The story focused on struggling with forgiveness of others and self. Very good book. The author is a great story teller.
Amanda
Read this this morning. Could NOT put it down at all. I absolutely loved this story. The characters are so well written that you want Rachel and Jacob to get together no matter what the cost. Simon is a totally believable as the bad guy, and there is so much tension and sexual chemistry between the characters.

The story is wonderful, would suggest tissues handy. I class this book as a new favourite.
Cheryal
Oh my goodness! This is the best book I have read in a long time. I was surprised by the naughty part(s) but the story was real. I got to have one of my favorite genres mixed in with my Amish fascination and a very moral story on forgiveness. I recommend this book to everyone.
Erin
I loved this book! I can't believe I read it SO fast. This book truly warmed my heart with it's message of family and togetherness being home.
Carol Judge
Set in 1881, an Amish community in Pennsylvania. Very well-edited, and very readable! Published as "Thee I Love" in 1999, this novel was recently reissued with this new title. Some would not consider this "Christian literature," and the author issues warnings that tell us it was not meant to be. I found this story to be very rich with characters, life events, story line. It felt very true-to-life, with flawed and complex individuals that were painted with depth and completeness. This story deals ...more
Sarah Peralta
Loved it, and loved it, then loved it some more.
Erin
Love, Love, Love Amish Literature!
Nicky
Okay, I just finished this book and I give it three stars. It was good don’t get me wrong and I did like it but I guess because so much went on at the start of the story (view spoiler) I felt like it dragged. I kept sneaking looks at the percentage bar..

I really didn’t get the Amish vibe throughout the story, there wasn’t much Amish in the story and that is one of the reasons for the 3 stars. It felt mor
Julia
Loved it!
Vicki Smith
A beautifully written book. I truly enjoyed reading this story, especially how well the author journeys into the lives of the characters, their struggles and relationships. I've always been fascinated with the Amish lifestyle, having visited several Amish farms and markets as a child. What I enjoyed most about the story: the rich details of the community's traditions, family and relationships. They live a simple life and yet their relations with one another can be very complex, particularly when ...more
Barbara J. Harbison
Jacob's Return

I would give this book a higher rating but the poor proofreading drove me nuts. The quote marks were missing or in odd places throughout the book. I had to reread sentences regularly to make sure I understood who was saying what.
The story itself was a good one and the twists and turns kept me up until almost four a.m. today.
Please send this book back to the proofreader.
Fiorela
The story is a beautiful one, full of love, it gives a good idea of how an Amish lives, their ideas, the structure of their world, which with equal rights would be amazing, but still there are always good people. Jacob is a lovable character and with all the other makes this book enjoyable. I love the sense of family and community portrait here, I even wanted to start baking while reading this book.
Kbee
I guess this not my type of book. Though I did really like the Rogues and Scoundrels...the Amish series is not for me.

Oct. 14...Been at it for 16 days on and off...Had trouble with the German/Hamish language. Still do, I think there's just to much.It was not that captivating until chapter 10 then at chapter 18 it's still dragging.
Will finish it but...it's getting, harder and harder.
Thursday Oct. 16, finally finish.
Glad I did. The ending was pretty good.
Linda
Jan 24, 2015 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Whereas I liked this book I felt the story drug on somewhat. Basic boy loves girl, brother marries girl, and so forth plot...
More passion than most Amish novels show.
Mandy
Faye
Jacob abandoned his Amish way of life and Rachel the girl he had loved forever. Then he found life with the English difficult. After discovering that he had fathered twins and the mother was dead he decided to return to his origins to raise the twins. He found Rachel married to his brother. Then discovered that his brother was physically and verbally abusing Rachel. The connection between the two is not approved of by the elders.
Eventually jacob is shunned and is leaving the community. He disco
Andrea Stoeckel
Much better than Butterfly Garden, her second Amish genre romance. Jacob left four years before after his mother passed. He returns with his twins in tow to find his homelife changed. His brother has married his sweetheart, and now is a deacon. His best friend has list his second wife and has let his life rundown. Jacob's return prompts situations to turn to the good and the bad. A very nice story
Phyllis
Generally a good read but a bit too much repetition. How many times did we need to be told that their love couldn't be, that she was married forever to someone else? Near the end I wondered how the author would resolve the situation and was surprised and happy with the outcome.
Amanda
This book was just blah for me. The premise was ok but it took everything I had to read it because I was bored and the character of Simon was just too over the top. I'm sure there are some Amish men who are jerks but this was just ridiculous.
Margaret Fraleigh
I find the stories about the Amish heartwarming. There are lessons in their struggles that can apply to all walks of life. Their love for God and their communities love for one another.

This was an excellent story.
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Jacob's Return is an emotionally powerful love story that sets up beautifully and takes you on a heartbreaking journey of love, loss, and redemption. Though set among the Amish, this is not a religious story.
Natalia
I really love this author's contemporary books, but this is not at all her best work. I'm disappointed and sad, because I expected so much out of this book and I didn't get it.
Julie
I got this for my Kindle because one reviewer said it was the best Amish book she had ever read. Well, I disagree. I found it trite and predictable.
  • Fields of Corn (Amish of Lancaster #1)
  • Sarah's Christmas Miracle
  • A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • Katie's Redemption (Brides of Amish Country, #1)
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Under The Mulberry Tree (Jacob's Daughter #3)
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • A Return Engagement
  • Amish by Accident
  • Plain Jayne (Plain and Simple, #1)
196212
Annette Blair's romantic comedies owe their beginnings to a root canal and a reluctant trip to Salem Massachusetts. Though she had once proclaimed she'd never write a contemporary, she stumbled into the serendipitous role of Accidental Witch Writer on that trip. Funny how she managed to eat her words even with an aching jaw. Magic or destiny; Annette's Bewitching Romantic Comedies became her first ...more
More about Annette Blair...
The Kitchen Witch (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #1) A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1) Sex and the Psychic Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #1) An Undeniable Rogue (Rogues Club, #1) Larceny And Lace (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #2)

“Here on earth, discover what you are, what your existence is, and how swiftly flees your span of life from time to eternity. For after you are gone, your deeds will speak louder than when you lived.” 0 likes