Start by marking “Raw Art Journaling” as Want to Read:
Raw Art Journaling

Raw Art Journaling

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Meaning in life is made, not found.

In a raw-art journal, you don't need to know how to draw; you don't need to know how to write well. You don't need worry about messing up techniques you've never attempted before inside your raw-art journal. You just need to be you because raw art is "you" and it thrives on creative play, on experimentation and even on making mistakes.

"Ra
Published July 20th 2011 by Northlight (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Raw Art Journaling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw Art Journaling

Chris
Sep 13, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
I really liked this one - creative ideas to use in one's journal, without a lot of focus on expensive materials and fancy techniques. As the author notes, "...a journal is the place to be free and imperfect...the place where being 'you' is enough."
Kymberleigh Anne
Jul 03, 2012 Kymberleigh Anne rated it really liked it
I found this book to be interesting and informative. It will give the reader a good starting point when breaking into the realm of art journaling. Seasoned art journalists may find the information contained a bit elementary, but the author does have some tips in the book that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Some reviewers felt this book was more about doodling and dressing up your writing. I can see why they felt this way; however, for a beginning art journalist any and all information about how to mak
Dawn Herring
Dec 06, 2012 Dawn Herring rated it really liked it
Making Meaning with Quinn McDonald: A Review

I first ran into Quinn's work when I was perusing some websites for the #JournalChat Links Edition for all things journaling. I noted her mix of art, journaling, humor, and an authentic point of view. Quinn has a voice that simply wakes up the creative muse, gives you something to chew on and consider, and maybe laugh heartily at the same time.

When I learned of her book, Raw Art Journaling, I decided to check it out and see what she had to offer. Quinn
Quinn Collard
Jun 09, 2016 Quinn Collard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I love love LOVED this book. I've been wanting to do more visual art and it was jam-packed with great ideas for how to incorporate that into journaling, which is something I already do a ton of. One of the things I particularly liked about the book was that it was very encouraging, reassuring the reader that they don't have to be the most skilled artist ever (which I'm not) to make art. I've already used some of the ideas from this book and it's been lots of fun!
Kim
This is an amazing book that somehow manages to make everything about journalling no-stress. I love the approach, and will adapt more of it when I'm leading my classes - esp with the adults, as there is more pressure/expectations on the end results instead of the process. The focus needs to be on the process and experience more - besindes that whole bit, there's a wealth of ideas in here. LOVE the book!! it could not be any better!
Linda
May 10, 2014 Linda rated it did not like it
I found this book rather remedial. It would, for example, be useful in organizing a summer camp class for kids.

There is so much emphasis on letting go of self-doubt and yet there's a chapter devoted to concealing your entries.

The aim of the book seems more like it wants you to pretend you're creating art loaded with meaning, instead of letting you actually put down your own thoughts and ideas.
Tristy
Jun 08, 2012 Tristy rated it liked it
I really love the work of Quinn McDonald and I was really excited to read this book, as I am an avid art journaler. And while this is an excellent book for those who are totally new to art journaling and/or really afraid to start making art journals, it was very remedial for me. This book covers the very beginning basics of art journaling and seems to be geared to people who are very fearful about "letting go" or "messing up." Obviously, there are folks who need this kind of encouragement and ba ...more
Emily
Dec 24, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting ideas

I don't normally come across a paper craft book with fresh ideas. This book included some ideas that inspired me and some that made me think of alternate uses.
Jamie
Neat Book

There are certainly some fun ideas in this book. I'll never look at a wall stain the same again, that's for sure!
Carmen
May 05, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it
4-13-13 There are techniques in this book that I discovered on my own, and some that I've read about elsewhere. But there are quite a few that are new to me, and I will definitely try some of them in the future.

5-5-14 I didn't realize until I came here to rate this book that I had already read it last year. My thoughts this time were that while there are some good ideas, most of them don't really fit my style of art journaling.
Robert
Feb 01, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
Gives the reader some interesting ideas on how to work with the Art Journal format.
Marian Streiff
Jan 13, 2014 Marian Streiff rated it liked it
Lots of good journaling ideas for teens.
Lindy
Sep 02, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it
I highly recommend that those who practice the art of keeping a journal or diary add raw art journaling to their inspiration. This book gives a way to express oneself through all types of activity or when thoughts are stalled. This book could easily become the journaling group handbook.
Jane
Mar 12, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
When I expressed an interest in art journaling, the art teacher at my school encouraged me and showed me lots of examples that were creative and profound and waaaay beyond my skill. This book is no fault, no artistic skills required--just what I needed.
Karen
Dec 05, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Quite enjoyed this. It incorporates a lot of basic art journaling info in one place, and has a very encouraging viewpoint.
Linda
Aug 21, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-and-art
a fabulous book one of the best on art jounraling I have come across
Emily  Ashley Haberman
Loving this so far!
Slynne
Slynne rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Mariam Moin
Mariam Moin marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mary-alice Michaels
Mary-alice Michaels marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Rachel Law
Rachel Law marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Jennifer Oberg
Jennifer Oberg is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Anna-Laura Hocker
Anna-Laura Hocker marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Cece
Cece marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Journal Fodder 365: Daily Doses of Inspiration for the Art Addict
  • Creative Doodling & Beyond: Inspiring exercises, prompts, and projects for turning simple doodles into beautiful works of art
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • One Drawing a Day: A 6-Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media
  • Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition

“We do not find meaning in life; we make meaning from life.” 0 likes
“You get better at creative work by doing creative work. Your creativity needs feeding and care. If you ignore it, it will wither. Taking time to write, draw, paint and collage regularly are ways to get better at them.” 0 likes