Start by marking “EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches” as Want to Read:
EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches

EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,237 Ratings  ·  357 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author and nationally syndicated talk radio host Dave Ramsey comes the secret to how he grew a multimillion dollar company from a card table in his living room.

Your company is only as strong as your leaders. These are the men and women doing battle daily beneath the banner that is your brand. Are they courageous or indecisive? Are they servi
Published September 20th 2011 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about EntreLeadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EntreLeadership

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
84th out of 560 books — 1,030 voters
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. KiyosakiThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieElegant Entrepreneur by Danielle   Tate
Best Books For Beginning Entrepreneurs
34th out of 253 books — 385 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex
May 30, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
I like Dave's straightforward approach to... pretty much everything in life. Finances, business, employees, parenting... The list goes on and on. I was listening to his podcast almost daily for 2 years and I still enjoy listening to it occasionally. He really helped me to solidify certain rules for myself and, yes, also get out of debt. My finances were not horrible, but nothing to be proud of either and now I can see a drastic change which I attribute first and foremost to his principles.
Now
Ben Donahower
Jul 27, 2013 Ben Donahower rated it it was amazing
Really good. With a title like EntreLeadership, I thought this book was going to be a little cheesy, but not so. There were some rock solid tactics and strategies for improving your business acumen and your leadership skills.

The book is pretty methodical too, so it's easy to see where you're going and where you've been.

One of the stories that stuck out to me illustrates his hiring practices. He would take the potential employee and the spouse out to dinner. Dave was always surprised by the numb
Amy
Mar 06, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One of my resolutions this year was to read more “business” books and this is one I’ve had on my shelf for awhile. I’m a huge Dave Ramsey fan so I went into this book expecting to really enjoy it. His advice (and he will admit this) is usually common sense stuff – some of it you already know and some of it is new but good. This book is more of the same of that. So did I like it? Meh. I think DR’s personality was featured a little too strongly in the book and it came as a bit of a turn off. He’s ...more
Greg Strandberg
Dec 04, 2015 Greg Strandberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I really enjoyed this book. It has tons of good ideas for people that are self-employed or run their own business.

I work as an author and also writer for others. This gave me good ideas on leadership, staying consistent, being patient, managing change, and dealing with ups and downs.

What stands out is that you get perspective. This guy had a good business and then went broke. Now he counsels people on how to get out of debt. Overall, he has good insight from 30+ years in the field.

I recommend t
Gail Welborn
Nov 03, 2011 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews

EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches, Hardcover, by Dave Ramsey, Howard Books, 2011, 320 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1451617856, $26.99

Dave Ramsey, well-known author, financial guru and nationally syndicated radio host calls his new release a “playbook” that led to his financial success, satisfaction and joy. His unconventional practical advice, devoid of theories and formulas, comes from twenty years of practical, hands-on business experience that began on his living
Chad Warner
Mar 22, 2015 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Torey Heinz
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Ramsey dispenses both leadership philosophy and practical advice about running a business. He emphasizes ethics and integrity, showing from firsthand experience how to apply Christian principles to business and use the Golden Rule when dealing with customers, employees, and vendors. He both tells and shows with his stories that business requires hard work, and that with success comes criticism.

The book is filled with Ramsey’s personal experience, which comes mostly from his twenty-plus years run
Ryan Seamons
Jun 03, 2015 Ryan Seamons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, product
Awesome book. Perfect for the entrepreneur, but also great for anyone wanting to get practical advice on being a leader.

Some big takeaways for me were:

Passion beats almost anything. Passionate people win. He would take a less talented person with passion over an passionless top talent person every day. Dave talks about how important passion is and some specific things he does to hire passionate people and bring out the passion in his current employees

I love that Dave shares specific stories from
Mikayla Fleetwood
Apr 16, 2013 Mikayla Fleetwood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book should be read by any person in leadership, ministry, business, or any position of authority, whether big or small. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the thoughts, advice, and experiences of someone who has been on both sides of the fence.
In Entreleadership, Dave Ramsey pours his heart out to the reader in giving all the advice that he has learned through his twenty-year-journey through the ups and downs of business. He will make you laugh talking about the ignorance of some, and he will
Gil Bradshaw
Mar 26, 2013 Gil Bradshaw rated it liked it
Dave Ramsey is full of good advice and anecdotes from his own personal business career. This book contains a lot of practical advice for someone who is starting their own very small business and contains good practical suggestions for people who have companies that are at later stages as well.

It is clear that Mr. Ramsey has been extensively trained and counseled by some very good minds on the subject of leadership. The content of the book is an amalgam of Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich," D
Michael Garner
Oct 21, 2011 Michael Garner rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about understanding competent business leadership, an area many companies of all sizes lack. I am not in a leadership role in my current position, nor am I self-employed. However, this book has given me insight to improve my current role as a low-ranking team member, and makes me excited for the future. I have also been thinking about starting some sort of business on the side, but I am not yet there to begin that. When I do, this book will be a great educational asset when I do. ...more
Matthew Stephens
Nov 19, 2013 Matthew Stephens rated it it was amazing

Go back to first chapter for list of things you must always be doing.

Positional leadership vs Persuasion Leadership
Head of fries is positional, persuasion is discussion.

Leader must have a servant mentality.
teaching
meantoring

start with a dream - end with a goal
Dream and do something
Vision is what happens to the dream
where there is no vision, you will perish. business, family, etc..

chapter 3
what do you do
how do you execute
why do you do what you do

goal are visions and dreams with work clothes on
go
Lauren Sheil
Apr 25, 2014 Lauren Sheil rated it liked it
Dave Ramsey is one of those guys you either love or you hate.

I can see why. He has an ego the size of Texas, which is all the more impressive when you consider he's from Tennessee. But if you can get past the ego and ignore the politics (he's about as right-wing as Wayne Gretzky) Ramsey has some really important things to say about building the culture of your business.

The story of how he chartered a jet to bring a team member home who's wife was killed in a car accident speaks volumes about t
Eric Burgan
Jun 23, 2015 Eric Burgan rated it really liked it
Great book period.

Its not just about being an entrepreneur, although it is greatly focused as such, but it gives you guidance on how to display qualities of entrepreneur and leadership within your current role.

Pick this up, simple read, engaging, and is totally full of 20 years of practical business wisdom.
Jeremy
Apr 27, 2016 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
I love Dave Ramsey. He lays out a series of common sense practices for entrepreneurial leaders; everything from hiring to managing processes. Dave is a great story teller and the book was pleasurable as well as informative.
Robbie Pruitt
Jan 21, 2013 Robbie Pruitt rated it liked it
This was a good book on leadership with a lot of fun and practical stories, but I felt like it was more of a book on business management than a book on leadership. Dave Ramsey's "style" and "tact" are also not for the "faint at heart," but as someone who grew up in the South, I was able to track with him some. If I could buy only one book on leadership, this would not be the book, it would not even make the top ten. However, if you have a spare Saturday, an extra few bucks, nothing to loose and ...more
Emma
Feb 21, 2012 Emma rated it it was ok
Not sold on this... Some of the advice about not hiring employees, sorry team members, could border on discrimination. My favourite, not hiring the admin assistant who mentioned that US citizens will need financial advice because of the clown just elected (George Bush) was extremely accurate.

Also personally, taking a massive platform against public health care, yet preaching giving money to church? Nope these priorities are wrong. I will not be spending any more of my money on Dave Ramsey's pro
Rusty Fulling
Dec 2011 - Great use of QR codes throughout the book. The QR code links help reinforce the contents of each chapter through video or supporting documents. This is a good practical book for business owners who are just starting up or business leaders who want to gain some new perspective on effective leadershihp.

Chapters include:
1. EntreLeadership Defined
2. Start with a Dream, End with a Goal (Vision, Mission, Goals)
3. Flavor Your Day with Steak Sauce (Time Management)
4. "Spineless Leader" is an
Charlie Hecke
Jul 31, 2014 Charlie Hecke rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine suggested EntreLeadership and it did not disappoint. It would be tempting to view EntreLeadership as Financial Peace for business and management. But the views, wisdom and advice are much broader and can be applied in many roles. Yes, Dave gets into taxes, budgeting and how to “act your wage.” He also shares insights on handling people, growth and leadership.

One of the quotes that I put up on my wall is “Goals convert vision into energy.” P 31 This is a reminder to keep dreamin
Cecil
Jun 26, 2012 Cecil rated it it was amazing
Dave Ramsey likes to say he "gives the same advice your grandmother would give but (he) keeps his teeth in!" In EntreLeadership, Ramsey includes leadership principles, financial advice, and perspective gained from two decades of starting and building a successful business with 300 team members. He is humorous and homespun, in-your-face but encouraging. This is an excellent read for someone wanting to start and operate their own business or be entrepreneurial within an existing organization.
Don Weidinger
Jan 24, 2013 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing
those who never make mistakes work for those who do, problem and solution is you, servant leader, passion over ed and talent, personal finance is behavior, measurable goals written, traction is satisfaction, no trust with situational ethics, no decisions with fear, options and info dispel fear, disc 10lion 25otter 40retriever 25beaver, key spousal input, qualify rapore educate/info close, act your wage,Belgians 8 or 24 or 32, negative up positive down, gross gossip.
Steve
Mar 09, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
A good book on what works and what does not work in terms of successful leadership. How to build teams, build a company, and succeed is something that is lacking in today's corporate culture. And even though this book is geared to entrepreneurship, the principles apply to any team. Sadly most of the teams and "leaders" that I have worked with in industry have been sorely lacking in the principles and skills Dave Ramsey presents in this book.
Ryan Waggoner
Jan 18, 2016 Ryan Waggoner rated it liked it
Shelves: under-200
Ah, Dave Ramsey. I'm a big personal finance reader and I've listened to his radio show podcast for years, though not religiously anymore. After awhile it's very...repetitive :)

Anyway, this is his book on how he's built his business from just him twenty years ago to having around 500 employees today.

I found the book thought-provoking in some places, but a lot of the advice is basic and wouldn't be new to anyone who has run a business or read more than a half dozen popular business books.

Also, Dav
Linda
Apr 21, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
This is definitely a good read - simple and direct - but it's just at a level that I don't think I'll ever want to be. I'm glad he honors his wife's good opinion and instincts, fires people who don't perform or reveal character flaws, but I don't want to become a household name. Best chapters that I'd recommend:

1. "Don't Flop Whoppers" - practical tips on micro businesses and actual small businesses (I don't think that his business qualifies as 'small' anymore).
2. "Business Is Easy, Until Peopl
Matt Crumpton
Oct 06, 2014 Matt Crumpton rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone who wants an overview of key business principles and best practices. Dave also throws in a lot of his own folksy advice - much of which I agree with.

The book can come off a little preachy at times - especially if you are not a person of faith. But, overall, it is a very solid business book. I would recommend for any leader with dreams of building an organization.
Parcoast
Dec 26, 2014 Parcoast rated it really liked it
I liked this book, largely because I like Dave Ramsey's no-nonsense view on business. He's a straight talker, and whether or not he is 100% correct he obviously believes what he teaches is 100% correct. His ideas feel authentic, in that he has practiced them and has achieved some level of success with them.

If I had any criticism of this book, it would be that it presents a single view on people management, and to me it is somewhat incomplete. Scaling his model would be tough. Also, sometimes Dav
Mar 28, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
I love Dave, I've read some of his other books, and I listen to his radio show almost every day. I could not get through this book. His ego was so huge in the first 20 pages it just turned me off. He does at times speak from a place of humility, but the opening pages of this book were boastful and so full of how wonderful and successful he is that I just couldn't stomach it.
Shai Sachs
Oct 11, 2015 Shai Sachs rated it it was ok
Shelves: professional
I read this book in large part because it was a free gift at a conference, and I was a bit bored on the plane ride home. You get what you pay for, it seems, because the book is rather shallow, and in parts fairly nasty and mean-spirited. What's worse, the "knowledge" in here is drawn largely from Ramsey's rather narrow field of experience; the book doesn't seem to allow for any suggestion that there are other viewpoints or experiences which might be worthwhile. All that said: I suppose it's a re ...more
Hunter Fiori
May 14, 2015 Hunter Fiori rated it it was ok
EntreLeadership is a great learning book far any entrepreneur.the book tells of ways to run a business how a work environment should be handled and what is proper way to handle a business.Ramsey gives examples from his experience and some of his friends experience.His tale of coming out of debt to being regarded as one of the best businessmen in the world.For a person interested in a business career this is perfect but even then it has issues.Ramsey at times "tries" to relate to the reader but f ...more
Matt Clem
A great book on leadership for people in any industry and of any organizational size, but particularly for the small business person. Dave Ramsey is a good story-teller and uses convincing analogies from his personal life to provide practical advice for leading people and managing some of the more routine business processes. He does an excellent job of taking an entire BBA and conveying it succinctly and simply in an easy to read book. If you are lookng for a magic pill- some earth shattering ge ...more
Mylon Pruett
Aug 09, 2015 Mylon Pruett rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Anyone not aware of who Dave Ramsey is, and what he does, must have been living under a rock for the last few years. But for anyone just peeking out, Dave is the "debt free financial guru" of our time. While there are many financial advisers out there Dave is one of the few who believes in completely debt free living.

With that brief introduction out of the way, this book is a bit different than his others. While everything he authors is geared to being debt free and financially responsible, Entr
Business-Related ...: Book # 6 EntreLeadership 9 15 Sep 25, 2015 07:34AM
Business-Related ...: Book # 6 Announcement of Next Read! 1 5 Mar 17, 2015 07:26PM
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job
  • Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
  • E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...

“If you don’t own the goal and it doesn’t come from your dream, then you won’t have the toughness to persevere when the going gets tough. And I will promise you that the going will get tough. There is never an exception—everyone who wins must push through obstacles, lots of them. You simply will not get up at dawn for your three-mile run because your wife wants you thinner. Big goals require big backbone—wimps need not apply.” 5 likes
“The weird thing is that the more efficient, on task, on goal you are with your time, the more energy you have. Working with no traction, or for that matter simply wasting a day, does not relax you, it drains you.//
Strange as it may seem, when you work a daily plan in pursuit of your written goals that flow from your mission statement born of your vision for living your dreams, you are energized after a tough long day.”
5 likes