Start by marking “Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song” as Want to Read:
Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song

Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Millions of listeners around the world have responded to the music and lyrics of the groundbreaking Irish rock band U2. Into the Heart uncovers the reality that touched off the imagery and emotion of these works, revealing the true stories and the actual people and places that have inspired their lyrics. 160 photos.
Published October 1st 1996 by Thunder's Mouth Press

To ask other readers questions about Into the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Heart

Paul Cantle
Read it again whilst listening to U2's entire canon for another paper...a useful resource from a close and long-time associate of the band.
Daniel Currie
Sep 14, 2014 Daniel Currie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Valerie Richardson
I would give this 2.5 stars if they had that rating.

As a long-time U2 fan I'd always wanted to read this book and was lucky enough to receive it as a
Christmas gift. But once I started it I couldn't keep reading it. It took a concerted effort 8 months after starting it just to finish it.

The mostly one page 'stories' of each song are not that most of the time. They are more of an essay about the song rather than what is about and includes lots of personal comments from the author about his feelin
Michele
This was a pretty fast read for me, read primarily on the way to see my 8th U2 concert. As I read it quite quickly, many of the stories associated with each song blur together for me.

This book does not highlight the meaning of each song, although it does give insight into some of them. Rather, it pieces together information about what the band was doing and dealing with at the time of the writing or performing of each song.

Interesting, if you a serious U2 fan.
Matt
This book provided some good insight into each song by U2 (up until ATYCLB), but mixed with some random meandering prose from the author. Where he offers historical insight, it's great. Where he goes off on some tangent or his feelings on the song, I tended to lose interest. I hope they issue an expanded version next year with both albums that are coming out this year.
Janne Paananen
Tällaiset yhtyeen kaikkien laulujen taustat läpikäyvät kirjat ovat yleensä hieman puuduttavia. Eikä tämä U2:n tuotannon ruotiminen ole poikkeus. Tämä on sentään kohtuullisen miellyttäväksi taitettu, suht ok kuvitettu ja aivan täydellinen eli kattaa sinkkujen b-puolet ym harvinaisuudet. Mutta ei tuo mitään uutta hienoa sisältöä sinällään.
Jonathan
A retread of what many other authors more accurately and intelligently reported years ago. This book is full of more of the author's speculation and "interpretation" than actual fact. It's almost embarrassing. There is very little real story here, despite the book's title.
Jeanette Burchaski
This was an enjoyable book, which I would recommend to any U2 fan. It's always fun to read about how each album came about and how and why the music changes from album to album. You get a little bit of information on nearly every song, just as the title promises. :)
Eben
Best book to get insight into Bonos head, and the genius that is his songwriting. Listen to Joshua Tree while reading this book. (chills) On Joshua Tree you will uncover some of the most amazing poetic lyric of our time.
Jen
I still love and devour everything written about U2, but this was not the best one. I don't need to be told what the songs are about. I know what the lyrics mean to me, and that's really what's important.
Brisbride13
Enjoyable read for U2 fans! Im glad it wasnt a song by song meaning kind of thing; a song means to me what it does for a very specific reason and I dont want anything messing with it!
Brandon Burrup
A must have for any diehard U2 fan. Stories behind each song, the inspirations, stories, and other details of interest behind the history of some of the best music ever made.
Susanne
Fun light reading. U2's lyrics rarely reveal everything the song is about, so another perspective is interesting.
Beth
Interesting, though you probably need to be a die hard fan to truly appreciate it.
Sharon
Sep 03, 2011 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: U2 fans
Shelves: musicans
This is a good book if you are a fan and want to know the stories behind their songs!
Jesper Sorensen
great if you want to know anything abouy any song
Brian
Jan 19, 2010 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: piscine@verizon.net
An informative romp through U2's discography.
Oscar Salas
Oscar Salas marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Julie M
Julie M marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Nazreen M.
Nazreen M. marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Joe Ziegenfuss
Joe Ziegenfuss marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Brett
Brett added it
Sep 30, 2014
Jennifer Mccarthy
Jennifer Mccarthy is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Jari Verschuere
Jari Verschuere marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • 1000 Record Covers
  • Saint Morrissey: A Portrait of This Charming Man by an Alarming Fan
  • Wild Boy: My Life in Duran Duran
  • What's That Sound?: An Introduction to Rock and Its History
  • How to Land an A330 Airbus and Other Vital Skills for the Modern Man.
  • Passion Is a Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash
U2 File: The Hot Press U2 History U2 (Stories Behind the Songs) U2-three Chords And The Truth North Side Story: U2 in Dublin 1978-1983 U2 Into the Heart