Start by marking “Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song” as Want to Read:
Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song

Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every U2 Song

Millions of listeners around the world have responded to the music and lyrics of the groundbreaking Irish rock band U2. Into the Heart uncovers the reality that touched off the imagery and emotion of these works, revealing the true stories and the actual people and places that have inspired their lyrics. 160 photos.
Published October 1st 1996 by Thunder's Mouth Press

To ask other readers questions about Into the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Heart

Milan
U2 is my favourite band and I was looking for a deeper meaning of their songs, but this book does not do justice to that. It does not provide the meaning and story of each song, although it does provide a little understanding for some of them. The book gives some information on what the band was doing at that time each song was being written and recorded and what kind of a phase the band was going through while producing the albums.

It does not provide much insight into Bono's mind. The author d
Paul Cantle
Read it again whilst listening to U2's entire canon for another paper...a useful resource from a close and long-time associate of the band.
Daniel Currie
Feb 01, 2014 Daniel Currie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Valerie Richardson
I would give this 2.5 stars if they had that rating.

As a long-time U2 fan I'd always wanted to read this book and was lucky enough to receive it as a
Christmas gift. But once I started it I couldn't keep reading it. It took a concerted effort 8 months after starting it just to finish it.

The mostly one page 'stories' of each song are not that most of the time. They are more of an essay about the song rather than what is about and includes lots of personal comments from the author about his feelin
J.J. Lair
Jan 05, 2015 J.J. Lair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love these kinds of books. What inspires a writer? What is that song really about?
This book answers a lot of that. I don't know every U2 song so here so there were parts I just skipped. I did look up some songs because the story sounded interesting. When it came to songs I knew, the story was thorough and told me what I wanted. There is little from the actual band in the book. The meanings come from associates but I don't have a reason to doubt them.
If you saw my twitter page this week, it's
Michele
Jul 10, 2011 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a pretty fast read for me, read primarily on the way to see my 8th U2 concert. As I read it quite quickly, many of the stories associated with each song blur together for me.

This book does not highlight the meaning of each song, although it does give insight into some of them. Rather, it pieces together information about what the band was doing and dealing with at the time of the writing or performing of each song.

Interesting, if you a serious U2 fan.
Janne Paananen
Tällaiset yhtyeen kaikkien laulujen taustat läpikäyvät kirjat ovat yleensä hieman puuduttavia. Eikä tämä U2:n tuotannon ruotiminen ole poikkeus. Tämä on sentään kohtuullisen miellyttäväksi taitettu, suht ok kuvitettu ja aivan täydellinen eli kattaa sinkkujen b-puolet ym harvinaisuudet. Mutta ei tuo mitään uutta hienoa sisältöä sinällään.
Matt
Aug 12, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided some good insight into each song by U2 (up until ATYCLB), but mixed with some random meandering prose from the author. Where he offers historical insight, it's great. Where he goes off on some tangent or his feelings on the song, I tended to lose interest. I hope they issue an expanded version next year with both albums that are coming out this year.
Lucija_c
Feb 28, 2016 Lucija_c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lyrics, u2
Super knjiga, seveda, ker je povezana z U2ji. IN z besedili, kar je sploh 1e bolje! Sem pa mogoDe priDakovala Disto miDkeno veD vpogleda v besedila. In pa ... kako je avtor lahko pozabil na 3 pesmi; Electrical storm, Hands that built America in Window in the skys??? Precej neodpustljivo ... ...more
Eben
Jul 19, 2007 Eben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book to get insight into Bonos head, and the genius that is his songwriting. Listen to Joshua Tree while reading this book. (chills) On Joshua Tree you will uncover some of the most amazing poetic lyric of our time.
Jeanette
Nov 20, 2011 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This was an enjoyable book, which I would recommend to any U2 fan. It's always fun to read about how each album came about and how and why the music changes from album to album. You get a little bit of information on nearly every song, just as the title promises. :)
Jen
Nov 03, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still love and devour everything written about U2, but this was not the best one. I don't need to be told what the songs are about. I know what the lyrics mean to me, and that's really what's important.
Jonathan
Aug 23, 2008 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A retread of what many other authors more accurately and intelligently reported years ago. This book is full of more of the author's speculation and "interpretation" than actual fact. It's almost embarrassing. There is very little real story here, despite the book's title.
Susanne
Aug 14, 2012 Susanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Fun light reading. U2's lyrics rarely reveal everything the song is about, so another perspective is interesting.
Beth
Jan 24, 2010 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
Interesting, though you probably need to be a die hard fan to truly appreciate it.
Jesper Sorensen
Aug 03, 2011 Jesper Sorensen rated it liked it
great if you want to know anything abouy any song
Brisbride13
Feb 28, 2013 Brisbride13 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read for U2 fans! Im glad it wasnt a song by song meaning kind of thing; a song means to me what it does for a very specific reason and I dont want anything messing with it!
Steven Thorn
Aug 09, 2016 Steven Thorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. I would love to see Niall Stokes write an updated edition about the songs from No Line on the Horizon and Songs of Innocence.
Sharon
Sep 03, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: U2 fans
Shelves: musicans
This is a good book if you are a fan and want to know the stories behind their songs!
Brandon Burrup
Jun 03, 2011 Brandon Burrup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any diehard U2 fan. Stories behind each song, the inspirations, stories, and other details of interest behind the history of some of the best music ever made.
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Javier Leo
Javier Leo rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Jet
Jet rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Annie Parksdale
Annie Parksdale rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2017
Paul Palmer
Paul Palmer rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2007
Mark Buckley
Mark Buckley rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Dave Wainscott
Dave Wainscott rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Ken Adams
Ken Adams rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2012