Start by marking “Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)

Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield #1)

When disgraced sales associate, Darby Stansfield, discovers he has six months to save his job, he does what any normal person would do. He freaks.

Desperate to resurrect his career at Teleco Wireless, he conjures up an international scheme filled with the promise of endless high-spending clients. It's brilliant, it's successful, and it involves doing business with organized
Published May 1st 2011 by Createspace (first published April 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Chop Suey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chop Suey

Melki
Nov 10, 2011 Melki rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous-mystery
Pity poor Darby Stansfield, a loveable everyman who is continually cheated out of glory (and sales commissions). One day, he gets the brilliant idea to become a "telecommunications consultant to the underworld" and sets off to peddle his product to the criminal element. The solid waste soon hits the rotary blades, and Darby realizes too late the caliber of people he is dealing with AND what horrors they are capable of committing. Throw in a love interest and a nasty serial killer, and you've got ...more
Mark McKenna
Jun 08, 2011 Mark McKenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Chop Suey
Author: Ty Hutchinson
Genre: Thriller
Page Count: 370 (131 chapters)
Reviewed For: Reading Review (readingreview.com)

Excerpt:

One long, endless night. That’s what it was like for Sulyn day in and day out. It was the same, over and over. But that changed today.
Sulyn detected movement off to the side of the tub but the door didn’t open. He was already here, watching her. For how long, she didn’t know. Even though her sight was hampered by the dark, she was sure something moved off to
Lauren
Jun 11, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Wow, knocked it out of the park for me. Hutchinson had me turning page after page. I finished this book in 2 days and walked away feeling like I had just been whirled around on a scary carnival ride, but never wanting it to end.
Darby is a moron, but a brilliant one. His sidekick is hilarious and while he acts like an idiot, he is actually the voice of reason. (I would like more description of Darby.)
I could completely picture these characters at any office as my coworkers. The people they work w
Sharon
Feb 18, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Before reading Chop Suey I had no idea there could be a mashup of Thriller + Comedy. There is, and this is it, and it's well done.

The Amazon book description says, "Readers have described the series as Tarantino meets The Office" (this is Book 1 of the Darby Stansfield series) and that description is dead on. As you would expect with Tarantino there is language, blood, and sex, and just like in the The Office, lots of goofball humor, with the addition of Ty Hutchinson pulling off some amazing wo
Kitty Honeycutt
Oct 10, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
Awesome read! This book is about a man desperate to save his job and cooks up a scheme reminiscent of some of the best organized crime ideas in history. The story gets intense when he finds out there's someone that could destroy him and his dream of keeping his job, now he has to decide if he wants to give up or keep going. Very suspenseful and Ty Hutchinson is a great writer. I liked this one a lot.

Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud / http://www.greatmindsliterarycommunit...
Madlen
Nov 30, 2011 Madlen marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads, won
This was a very busy book with many fun characters. I liked Darby Stansfield from the very beginning. The setting being Hong Kong also pulled me in.
The planning and scheming involved in the book also made it an exciting read.
Overall a very good pace, great plot line, and a nice suspenseful atmosphere to get you hooked. I enjoyed the book. I recommend it.
L.A.
Jul 24, 2011 L.A. rated it really liked it
Article first published as Book Review: Chop Suey: A Darby Stansfield Thriller by Ty Hutchinson on Blogcritics.

Combine an obsessive, compulsive and desperate salesperson, willing to go to any lengths to make a sale, with an unlikely group of Triad members of the fan gang in Hong Kong, and see a recipe for disaster,the likes of which we have never seen before.

Jim
Feb 28, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The first book in a new series from author Ty Hutchinson, "Chop Suey" features Darby Stansfield. Darby works for a telecommunications company in their sales department. Darby as salesmen go is pretty much the bottom of the bottom. Darby spends most days playing around on net. Darby's best friend and co-worker, Tavish Woo-Kaminsky is half caucasian, and half Asian. "Tav" is slightly a better salesman than Darby, but not by much. Darby's supervisor Harold Epstein has had his full of "Darbyisms" an ...more
Elizabeth A.
Chop Suey is what would happen if you threw Glengarry Glen Ross and Office Space in a blender. Then added a serial killer. And Triads.

Telecommunications salesman Darby Stansfield is desperate. Having hit a bad stretch with his sales, he’s been put on notice he’s got six months to get his numbers headed in the right direction again or he’ll be fired.

Problem is, Darby doesn’t have any good leads. The one decent client he had was stolen out from under him by another salesman, leaving Darby with not
Tony
Aug 10, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Disclaimer: I won this ebook in the LibraryThing Member Giveaway direct from the author.

Darby Stansfield has to believe in sheer luck because that's the only way he manages to make it in this world. He has crazy ambition but none of the skills necessary to make it happen--he'll apply the same solution to every problem that comes his way and simply expect it to work. So when his usual process threatens to put him on "double secret probation," he's got to think a bit bigger in order to win the res
Sue
Aug 03, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-humour
I won this book through Goodreads through "First Reads Winner".

In Chop Suey: A Darby Stansfield Thriller by Ty Hutchinson, we follow the often funny and goofy plans of Darby Stansfield to move back to the sales leaderboard at his job for a telecommunications company. When blackmailing his customers doesn’t work he comes up with even stranger ideas, which just create more problems, but he is determined to find a way to succeed.

Darby didn't have the good fortune of being able to sell to Fortune 5o
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Darby Stansfield - a man on commission at a telecom company. He hasn't been bringing in much custom lately so he is given six months to shape up or ship out. He hits on the perfect idea for bringing in those big sales, sell to organised crime gangs, namely the Triads. It all goes well until he meets and falls in love with an Inspector in the Hong Kong police who is investigating the Triad gangs, falls foul of a serial killer and winds up in the middle of a gang war.

This was
Susan
(fiction) Perhaps I started reading this book with the wrong expectations: a noir fiction or spoof on noir. But is it a comedy, a mystery, a thriller? Having finished the book, I'm still not quite sure what it is. The mystery was revealed too soon, it wasn't really thrilling or especially funny, it just doesn't fit into any of the niches one would expect, and failed a bit by not excelling at any one of them,

There was some humor. “Today I would prove to these knuckleheads I was the boss man.” Thi
Literary
Nov 06, 2011 Literary rated it it was amazing
Darby Stansfield finds himself in a seemingly dead-end job, unless he can come up with a new "Darbytastic" idea that can raise his sales and send him to the upper levels. While procrastinating on job leads, Darby heads to his favorite Chinese restaurant, Mr. Fu's. While dining on his standard Chop Suey, Darby finds out that Mr. Fu used to belong to a gang. And thus begins his journey into the underworld.

This Chop Suey really has it all. Humor, romance, murder, suspense, interesting characters, a
Maxine
Jun 27, 2011 Maxine rated it really liked it
Darby Stansfield is a sales rep at Teleco. He's a bottom feeder who dreams of entering the ranks of the heavy hitters. Unfortunately, his boss has other ideas and Darby has six months to save his job. No worries, though, because Darby, ever the starry eyed optimist, has a Plan.

However, to quote the great poet, Robbie Burns:

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley"

And Darby's scheme is about to gang agley in spades.

Because his plan has put him in a direct collision course with a seri
Bill Thibadeau
Jul 13, 2011 Bill Thibadeau rated it really liked it
The other reviewers are needlessly harsh on the author for the lack of professional editing. Yes, the obvious grammar, missing words, wrong words break up the flow. But get over it. This is an indie novel, given to most reviewers, and extremely cheap to purchase in the eBook format. It is a generally good read for a miniscule, if any, cost to the reader.

The storyline is well described by other reviewers. I need not add to the potential spoilers.

This is an entertaining read and a decent thriller
Angief
Oct 15, 2011 Angief rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Book Description: When disgraced sales associate Darby Stansfield discovers he has six months to save his job, he does what any normal person would do. He freaks.

Desperate to resurrect his career at Teleco Wireless, he conjures up an international scheme filled with the promise of endless high-spending clients. It’s brilliant, it’s successful, and it involves doing business with organized crime.

But soon those closest to him find themselves caught up in his dangerous plan, and one of these unknow
Stephanie Wolf
Aug 01, 2011 Stephanie Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Chop Suey

Take one man down on his luck, on the verge of losing his job.

Add one ingenious, out-of-the-box idea.

Mix in his best friend, who thinks the idea is not only crazy, but dangerous.

Throw in a girl, some intrigue, false identify, gangs, murder, theft, money, a serial killer, two countries and a bit of humor.

Mix well and you have a thrilling good read called Chop Suey. Here’s to Ty Hutchinson, hope you continue to write! Chop Suey A Darby Stansfield Thriller (Volume 1) by Ty Hutchinson
Scott Collins
Mar 02, 2012 Scott Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I liked his writing style. It's...relaxed, familiar. The story is that of a sales person, Darby, who is struggling to pay his bills and make a name for himself. He comes up with the idea to sell to the underworld. Who better to target than those nobody wants to deal with?

It's fun and it's funny. There's plenty of action, lots of twists and turns and the characters are believable. Corny in places? Absolutely, but that's one of the things I LIKED about it. Darby is so full of h
Francine
Oct 04, 2011 Francine rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, mystery
This is a comedy, mystery and thriller all wrapped up into one. Darby, the main character, is a quirky and likeable little guy with a bit of "moron" thrown in for some spice. The book read rather quickly, was fun and upbeat. Even though it was a mystery, I laughed the whole way through it, then again maybe I just have such a boring life that a mystery amuses me, who knows!
I think Chop Suey would make a great movie, both with the comedy areas and the heavy sections. A good marinade for a great re
Releanna
Aug 09, 2011 Releanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
this is a very interesting mixture of brutal murder-thriller and funny acting of the main "hero". This book got me hooked from the beginning. Darby Stansfield is such an egomaniac and totally clueless most of the time. His adventures with the triads are really hilarious! He creates a lot of confusion and is himself confused most of the time. Sometimes I really felt sorry for his friend Tav - he must have really strong nerves to stay in this friendship!
I really enjoyed reading this e-book and am
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Chop Suey by Ty Hutchinson
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
The author definitely has an easy way with humour, eliciting smiles and even spontaneous laughter, in my case.
I became interested in the plot because I am very familiar with both San Francisco's Chinatown and the areas described in Hong Kong. It was like taking a "detective tour" through the areas. Nevertheless, I found the crime thread too serious to be treated so lightly, and this produced some ambivalence.
A serious revision for grammar e
Tyrnesha
Jul 27, 2011 Tyrnesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: ty-hutchinson
Really enjoyed this book. I liked the element of surprise that the book had. It was not at all predictable. Darby is a great character and it was fun living looking at life through his eyes. Looking forward to reading Ty's next book.
Deborah
Sep 27, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
"I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads"

Very good storyline and plenty of suspense and action! The premise of the plot was a little far fetched ... but it worked ... Congratulations Ty on a job well done!
Susan Krich
Dec 15, 2011 Susan Krich rated it it was amazing
Great book. Fast-paced. Chapters are short enough to carry book and read whenever you have 15 minutes spare time. Stayed up late last night to finish it.
Mike
Jul 23, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Excellent story that is entertaining with character development and a good plot line that keeps you guessing. The main character is a weasel but the author makes him endearing.
Kristina Franken
Sep 04, 2012 Kristina Franken rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Kelly
Jun 12, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Great Job Ty! I loved it! : )
Kathy
Sep 03, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was quirky and funny with a little twist.
Susan
Jul 28, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
I started to read Chop Suey: A Darby Stansfield Thriller by Ty Hutchinson and put it down because I just couldn't get into it. Months went by and I picked it up again and I am so glad I did. I don't know if it was the mood I was in the first time I tried to read it or what but this imaginative and well written story had me turning page after page.

I admit that I did not find Darby, the main character such a likeable person. To me he appeared lazy and one of those people that don't want to 'work
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone #3)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • Three Days to Forever (Mac Faraday Mystery, #9)
  • King of Paine
  • The Undertaker
  • Noise
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • The Rainy Day Killer (Donaghue and Stainer Crime Novel #4)
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Not From Around Here
  • Far Shore
  • Black Machetes
  • Ghostly Summons
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Chill Run
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
Hello. My name is Ty Hutchinson. I'm glad you stopped by.

I'm the author of the bestselling Abby Kane FBI Thrillers, featuring the short and feisty Abby Kane. She made her debut in Corktown, which became a Kindle #1 bestseller shortly after its release. I also write the Sei Assassin Thrillers. Follow Sei as she searches for her missing daughter. For dark and humorous, try the Darby Stansfield Thril
More about Ty Hutchinson...

Darby Stansfield (3 books)
  • Stroganov (Darby Stansfield #2)
  • Loco Moco (Darby Stansfield, #3)