Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas

Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas (Nate the Great #20)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Annie's dog, Fang, is unhappy. And when Fang is unhappy, everyone is unhappy. Especially Nate the Great. So Nate agrees to sniff out Fang's mysteriously missing Christmas mail. It's a cold and snowy business! But Nate the Great and his dog, Sludge, do their best to solve this holiday case in time for Fang to have a crunchy, munchy Christmas.

Nate the Great and his faithful
Published October 6th 1997 by Yearling (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Crunchy Christmas

Sheila
Dec 18, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, christmas
This is another book in our Christmas book collection which comes out every December for a re-read. My daughter always enjoyed the Nate the Great stories and the mystery that had to be solved. This book revolves around a missing Christmas card that was sent to Fang. One thing that I like about this book is that it is not only a Christmas story, but it is also a Chanukah story, as Nate himself is Jewish, and the story contains not only Christmas wishes but Chanukah ones as well.
Rosa Cline
Jan 07, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This was our first "Nate the Great" book to read and my special needs teenage son and I both enjoyed this chapter book. It's not as long or as complex as some of the other chapter books like the Magic Tree House or Jigsaw Jones but was still a good chapter book. Would be nice for beginners to chapter books but not so 'easy' that those that enjoy those series I just mentioned wouldn't like. Nate the Great is a little boy and he has a dog the two pair up to solve various mysteries.

In this book th
Mark Baker
Dec 09, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Annie’s dog Fang hires Nate to find the Christmas card his mother always sends him. It’s a week late, and Fang looks forward to it all year. (Or so Annie claims). Can Nate find it?

This is a fun entry in the series with a dash of humor (especially when Rosamand appears), and decent clues that a kid or adult could use to solve the case along with Nate. Not that I did, of course.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Bel & Bunna / Story in Me
Feb 17, 2016 Bel & Bunna / Story in Me rated it really liked it
I love the Nate The Great books. Easily read, easily understood, lovely drawings. In this book, Fang hasn't received his Christmas card from his mother. As ever, while Nate is looking for clues, hijinks ensue. Such fun. A great read for those who are reading confidently but aren't quite ready for chapter books.
Calvin  Kwon
Nate the Great is detective who is little and every time the mailman comes, he would drop the mail on the snow and run for his life because Fang, who is a dog, would chase him when he runs away. Every week, Fangs mom gives him a card but this week he doesn't get one. That's why you have to solve the mystery.
Dolly
Sep 15, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love the Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont and have read a lot of them. We love the narrative style, the goofy notes to Nate's mother, and of course, the pancakes (nice touch with the latkes this time!) We get very excited when we go to our local library and find one that we haven't read before. We saw this one in the Christmas section today and just had to read it right away. It is a fun story about Christmas and Hanukkah - we enjoyed reading it aloud tog ...more
J.E.
Apr 18, 2016 J.E. rated it it was amazing
"This book was funny. My mommy read it to me while I climbed my tree and I thought it was a chapter book at first but it is just a really long story. I want to be a detective like Nate the Great." -James, age 6
Sarah Adamson
Jan 20, 2016 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it
Another great Nate the Great Mystery! Great for young readers, and for challenging them to think about the story and the possible outcomes!
Seth
Feb 10, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-myself
The case is that fangs card is lost and Fang buried it in the land. It was a Christmas card from his Mom.
Emily
Wow! This book took me back to elementary school because I use to love reading Nate the Great books because they were a little bit thicker and longer than a usual picture book. They made me feel older and smarter because I could read a "big kid's" book. I think children also like them because they are mysteries. They make you think about what you are reading because just like Nate, you are trying to solve the mystery.

I would use this book during the winter holidays as well as to help students to
Julie G
Sep 26, 2014 Julie G rated it really liked it
(My son's Mystery Book Report)
Fun, little read!
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Jessi
I used to love Nate the Great when I was younger. That's because it was an interesting series and developed a story in a short number of pages.
In this one, Nate is asked by Fang's owner (Fang is a Great Dane, big dog) to find out what happened to the Christmas card from Fang's mother. Of course, there are quirky characters but Nate is able to think it through and help save Christmas.
Heather
We read this yesterday because we're trying to read a Christmas book every day and this was the first one I could find on my bookcase.

My boys really enjoyed it and laughed at Nate's sarcastic asides. I think the reading level is perfect for kids just starting to read longer books.

While the story was cute and very typical Nate the Great, it's not a fantastic Christmas story.
Lindsay
Jun 15, 2013 Lindsay rated it liked it
We listened to this. He loved it--five stars he says, but since this is my goodreads account, my opinion wins. I did get a little annoyed with the reader of the audiobook overemphasizing "I, Nate the Great" repeatedly. It was like a speed bump in the listening experience. Ian was thrilled to read that the author lives in our city.
Kim
Dec 20, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Maybe I shouldn't count books that are 20 pages (maybe) and made for 2nd grade readers for my Goodreads list, but Nate the Great is great! Simple, rhythmic, and sarcastic, these mysteries are somehow riveting, even if they are about things as silly as a missing Christmas card.
Katharine
Apr 21, 2009 Katharine rated it it was amazing
Nate the great is a great detective, he solves every case. He has lots of friends who help him solve his mysteries. My favorite character in the book is Annie, Nates friend who has a cute dog named fang.
Theresa
Mar 01, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for young readers, makes a great connection to young boys
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
I liked these stories when I was younger. I'm not sure why exactly - probably had something to do with the fact he has a dog.
Bea
Dec 06, 2013 Bea rated it really liked it
The mystery was just ok, but B thought this was HILARIOUS. Esp the part about Fang chasing the mailman.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children-s
Annie gets way too many catalogs in the mail! A cute story for kids.
Barbara
Dec 07, 2011 Barbara rated it it was ok
Figured it out wayyyy toooo soon. Don't love that. :p
LeLu
LeLu rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Claire Hua
Claire Hua rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Daksh Pandey
Daksh Pandey marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Laura Owen
Laura Owen rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Đỗ Thanh
Đỗ Thanh marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mateo Graif
Mateo Graif rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Minnie and Moo Go to the Moon (Minnie and Moo (DK Hardcover))
  • Who Broke Lincoln's Thumb? (Capital Mysteries, #5)
  • The New Padawan
  • Poppleton In Fall
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Spotted Cat Mystery (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #12)
  • Get Well, Good Knight
  • Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery
  • Chato and the Party Animals
  • Angel Child, Dragon Child
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Penny and Her Doll
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue