Start by marking “Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas” as Want to Read:
Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas

Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas (Nate the Great #20)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Annie's dog, Fang, is unhappy. And when Fang is unhappy, everyone is unhappy. Especially Nate the Great. So Nate agrees to sniff out Fang's mysteriously missing Christmas mail. It's a cold and snowy business! But Nate the Great and his dog, Sludge, do their best to solve this holiday case in time for Fang to have a crunchy, munchy Christmas.

Nate the Great and his faithful
Published October 6th 1997 by Yearling (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
84th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Life of a Loser - Wanted by Lou ZuhrDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca Simon
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
147th out of 149 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheila
This is another book in our Christmas book collection which comes out every December for a re-read. My daughter always enjoyed the Nate the Great stories and the mystery that had to be solved. This book revolves around a missing Christmas card that was sent to Fang. One thing that I like about this book is that it is not only a Christmas story, but it is also a Chanukah story, as Nate himself is Jewish, and the story contains not only Christmas wishes but Chanukah ones as well.
Rosa Cline
This was our first "Nate the Great" book to read and my special needs teenage son and I both enjoyed this chapter book. It's not as long or as complex as some of the other chapter books like the Magic Tree House or Jigsaw Jones but was still a good chapter book. Would be nice for beginners to chapter books but not so 'easy' that those that enjoy those series I just mentioned wouldn't like. Nate the Great is a little boy and he has a dog the two pair up to solve various mysteries.

In this book th
Mark Baker
Annie’s dog Fang hires Nate to find the Christmas card his mother always sends him. It’s a week late, and Fang looks forward to it all year. (Or so Annie claims). Can Nate find it?

This is a fun entry in the series with a dash of humor (especially when Rosamand appears), and decent clues that a kid or adult could use to solve the case along with Nate. Not that I did, of course.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Calvin  Kwon
Nate the Great is detective who is little and every time the mailman comes, he would drop the mail on the snow and run for his life because Fang, who is a dog, would chase him when he runs away. Every week, Fangs mom gives him a card but this week he doesn't get one. That's why you have to solve the mystery.
Dolly
Sep 15, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We just love the Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont and have read a lot of them. We love the narrative style, the goofy notes to Nate's mother, and of course, the pancakes (nice touch with the latkes this time!) We get very excited when we go to our local library and find one that we haven't read before. We saw this one in the Christmas section today and just had to read it right away. It is a fun story about Christmas and Hanukkah - we enjoyed reading it aloud tog ...more
Seth
The case is that fangs card is lost and Fang buried it in the land. It was a Christmas card from his Mom.
Emily
Wow! This book took me back to elementary school because I use to love reading Nate the Great books because they were a little bit thicker and longer than a usual picture book. They made me feel older and smarter because I could read a "big kid's" book. I think children also like them because they are mysteries. They make you think about what you are reading because just like Nate, you are trying to solve the mystery.

I would use this book during the winter holidays as well as to help students to
Julie G
(My son's Mystery Book Report)
Fun, little read!
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Jessi
I used to love Nate the Great when I was younger. That's because it was an interesting series and developed a story in a short number of pages.
In this one, Nate is asked by Fang's owner (Fang is a Great Dane, big dog) to find out what happened to the Christmas card from Fang's mother. Of course, there are quirky characters but Nate is able to think it through and help save Christmas.
Heather
We read this yesterday because we're trying to read a Christmas book every day and this was the first one I could find on my bookcase.

My boys really enjoyed it and laughed at Nate's sarcastic asides. I think the reading level is perfect for kids just starting to read longer books.

While the story was cute and very typical Nate the Great, it's not a fantastic Christmas story.
Lindsay
We listened to this. He loved it--five stars he says, but since this is my goodreads account, my opinion wins. I did get a little annoyed with the reader of the audiobook overemphasizing "I, Nate the Great" repeatedly. It was like a speed bump in the listening experience. Ian was thrilled to read that the author lives in our city.
Kim
Maybe I shouldn't count books that are 20 pages (maybe) and made for 2nd grade readers for my Goodreads list, but Nate the Great is great! Simple, rhythmic, and sarcastic, these mysteries are somehow riveting, even if they are about things as silly as a missing Christmas card.
Katharine
Nate the great is a great detective, he solves every case. He has lots of friends who help him solve his mysteries. My favorite character in the book is Annie, Nates friend who has a cute dog named fang.
Theresa
Nate The Great And The Crunchy Christmas
Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman
good early mystery for young readers, makes a great connection to young boys
Taylor Troncin
I liked these stories when I was younger. I'm not sure why exactly - probably had something to do with the fact he has a dog.
Bea
The mystery was just ok, but B thought this was HILARIOUS. Esp the part about Fang chasing the mailman.
Kelly
Annie gets way too many catalogs in the mail! A cute story for kids.
Barbara
Figured it out wayyyy toooo soon. Don't love that. :p
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Thanh Nguyen
Thanh Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Badge
Badge marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kirby
Kirby is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2015
Audrey
Audrey added it
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Who Broke Lincoln's Thumb? (Capital Mysteries, #5)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • The Case of the Stinky Science Project (Jigsaw Jones, #9)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Pizza Shop Mystery (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper's House
  • Angel Child, Dragon Child
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Mice And Beans
  •  A Good Night for Ghosts (Magic Tree House, #42)
  • The One Hundredth Day of School! (Ready, Freddy!, #13)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case