Start by marking “What I Hate” as Want to Read:
What I Hate

What I Hate

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  80 reviews
The pages of the New Yorker are hallowed ground for cartoonists, and for the last thirty years, Roz Chast has helped set the magazine's cartooning standard, while creating work that is unmistakably her own- characterized by her shaggy lines, an ecstatic way with words, and her characters' histrionic masks of urban and suburban anxiety, bedragglement, and elation.
What I Ha...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about What I Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Hate

Briana
Oct 03, 2011 Briana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Sedaris. People with general anxiety (only if you have humor about it!).
Recommended to Briana by: Goodreads Giveaways
**ACTUAL RATING = 4.5 STARS**

This book was pretty freakin funny. She uses the alphabet as a guide to illustrate her anxieties. For example, A is for Alien Abduction. Each letter has a little blurb about the anxiety and an illustration of the anxiety. I think the blurbs were funnier than the drawings. I definitely related with 90% of her worries. The only disappointment I have is that the book was too short. Not much could be done about that because the alphabet isn't that long. Sigh. It looks li...more
Gregg
I picked up this little book (which is dedicated to the author's parents) after reading Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?. It is basically an alphabet book of fears, anxieties, and least favorite things. For example, C is for Carnivals, which she describes as:
A huge crowd of moronic-looking people hell-bent on "amusement"; brutish carnies running rigged games in which people try to win hideous stuffed animals; dangerous rides where you get flung around to the point of nauseousness, ma
Yvensong
Aug 06, 2011 Yvensong rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yvensong by: Darlene
Shelves: arc
This is the paperback ARC version of this book. Same ISBN

I enjoyed this clever, humorous look at different anxieties that the author claims to have (and I share many, if not all, to some degree or another). She depicts these with a little commentary and an accompanying cartoon.

I will definitely look for more of Roz Chast's publications.

Kirsti
"If you are the sort of person who never worries about spontaneous combustion, has fun at carnivals, and thinks that the shape of a hammerhead shark's head is just fine the way it is, that's terrific. I'm happy for you. This book is for everyone else."
Jason
I've been a subscriber to The New Yorker for a while now, and I've always enjoyed Roz Chast's cartoons. Here, the cartoonists lets loose her greatest fears and anxieties, as organized by the alphabet. The comics are funny, as always, and Roz's brief commentary on the opposing pages is equally hilarious.

This book's format bothered me, though. There weren't any page numbers, but I suppose they aren't really necessary since you can just refer to one of the letters of the alphabet.
"Did you read R?"...more
Lisa N
Farcical A-to-Z inventory of phobias and unpleasant things. Originated from the anxieties of cartoonist Roz Chast, while playing the alphabet game as a cure for insomnia.

This was hilarious. I was hooked by the letter “B.” As a child, I had a morbid fear of balloons and always felt squeamish at parties.

B: Balloons: “Many terrible things begin with B: bears, blindness, boilers, bats, bridges, and brain tumors. But no one brings any of those things to a party to up the fun quotient. When I look a...more
Book Description

Roz Chast has been creating cartoons for the New Yorker since 1978. Right there, you know you'll get a combination of funny and smart. The book is exactly what the title says it is: a list of things that Roz Chast hates from A to Z. Each letter gets two pages. On the left side is some text (usually very short) describing exactly why Chast hates a particular thing. On the right side is a full-page drawing that illustrates the reasons further. Both the text and the drawings complem...more
Karissa
I picked an advanced reading copy of this book up at Book Expo America. It just looked like too much fun to pass up. It's a fun book, aimed more at adults than kids. Kids can read it but some of the stuff will go right over their heads.

After an introduction explaining Chast's struggles with anxiety, you delve into an alphabet of things Chast hates. Each letter gets a page describing something Chast hates (for B it is Balloons) and on the facing page there is a funny cartoon depicting or expandin...more
Robert
A delightful but ultimately rather trifling effort from the great Roz Chast. I think this would have been better had the illustrations been printed in full color (they were obviously originally executed in watercolors) and perhaps with a little more content. As it is there are some laugh out loud moments and I truly identified with some of the fears Chast explores here (nothing like driving in tunnels that extend DEEP UNDERGROUND, BELOW A BODY OF WATER for a horrifying taste of what it must be l...more
Claire
What I Hate: Claire edition. The Letter "W" is for What I Hate. This book is laaaaaaame. I mean - a joke about the experience of flying as being like sitting in a metal box suspended by nothing? Never heard that one before at Open Mic Comedy Night. Even if the book is not supposed to be ROFL here, it's never that charming, interesting, creative, or....anything.
Christiane
I loved this book! While I share many of Chast's aversions (elevators, illness, tunnels) I am also excited to make up my own A – Z list. (Oh, and if you go ahead and Google Image cyclopia, which you know you will, do not do so while eating dinner. It is truly horrible.)
Julia Davis
The illustrations in this book are quite charming, and hilarious. Though if you are the type of person who worries about everything, you probably shouldn't read this book as it will make you worse.
I have my fair share of anxieties and some were covered in this book. It's a lovely quick read full of humor... and a bit of dread.
I mentioned over reacting and my anxieties. Well when I was reading "S" which in this book is for spontaneous combustion, just as I read the word "Boom" something in my apa...more
Yomiko
Loved it!
"When I look at a balloon, all I see is an imminent explosion. Where's the fun in that?" That's about it! ;)
Rachelccameron
Feb 18, 2014 Rachelccameron added it
Shelves: humor
I think this had the potential to be funnier. It was kind of an awkward rant and wasn't all that entertaining
Christa L
Short, sweet, and chilling. Never had a particular problem with tunnels BEFORE...:P
Amandaj
This was a quick one, short, and somewhat funny. With each letter of the alphabet is a cartoon to go with an anxiety/phobia. The anxieties chosen are her own, and some are silly, some are understandable--some I just didn't like. Like most comics, it is hit and miss. For me, this time it was more of a miss.
I have never seen her work before this. It didn't leave a really good impression, or a bad impression on me. For fans of her work this might be a good choice to pick up. I was curious about her...more
Alan Paris
I love Roz Chast. The world is a better place with her in it. Thank you.
Nancy
Roz Chast's work is, for me, IT. She's tender yet brutal, funny yet sad, etc. yet etc. Some of her comics explain life in the way that some episodes of the original Star Trek and Seinfeld and The Office do, and you can't imagine having to live without them. (Life happens and you say, "Yeah! It's just like in that one Roz Chast cartoon!")
This book didn't hit it out of the ball park. It was more of a grounder to second base. Maybe it was the typeset paragraphs for each letter? (The font?) The alph...more
Kaitlin
I could relate to some of the cartoons but didn't enjoy them. Most of the "hates" were actually fears, and none of those was original. Quick read, but disappointing.
Laurie
Perfect alphabet for anxious neurotics.
Caroline Horgan
Great lol snippets to pass the time. Especially liked 'vision loss.'
Stacey
Cute and funny.
Marissa
This book I do not hate.
Carolyn F.
Cute book. The little notations in the illustrations are worth a read. Love the cover.
Norma Wright
I received this book in a giveaway from Bloomsbury Publishing. Right from the beginning Roz Chast starts with a hilarious introduction. Chast gives a thorough list of things she hates, from A to Z, along with a cartoon for each one. The cartoons and narrative are funny and at times thought provoking. I mean have you ever really thought how you feel about Ouija Boards or tunnels? Roz Chast has. Over and over I found myself laughing and agreeing with her. This is a fun book.
Darlene
Jun 09, 2011 Darlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The comic or anxiety prone
Recommended to Darlene by: GoodReads First-Reads
Yay! This looks like such fun and I won! Can't wait to get my hands on this one! (Too many exclamation marks?)

Finished! Way too fun! Disturbing on all levels. Could have been longer had I personally known Roz Chast and been consulted. Then again, she did bring up a couple I have never worried about and now, thinking about it, I probably should--or will.

Going over and making sure to link up with the websites recommended.

Thank you for a quick fun read Bloomsury, Ms. Chast, et al!
Lee Anne
If you like Roz Chast, you'll like this book, although it's so slight it's really more of a pamphlet. I do like the premise, though: when Chast has insomnia, she picks a category, then tries to name a representative in that category for each letter of the alphabet (for example, Types of Fruit: apple, banana, cantaloupe, etc.). This book is an alphabetical list of her fears, some of which are very funny. I read the whole thing in about 20 minutes, probably less.
Marjorie
good silly fun.
Chris
This little book for kids and adults goes through the alphabet and lists all the bad things associated with each letter that people might think of when they think of that letter if they only think of bad things.

This book is a great example of all those people who only like to worry about the negative instead of both.

This is a book to keep away from people who actually do and for those that can find the humor in it, close by.
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
  • i am neurotic: (and so are you)
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 1
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • The Ruthless Romans
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
  • Should You Be Laughing at This?
  • A Treasury of Victorian Murder
  • Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil
  • We Learn Nothing
  • A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
  • Arab in America
  • Be Good: How to Navigate the Ethics of Everything
  • My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir
  • Dogfight: The 2012 Presidential Campaign in Verse
Rosalind "Roz" Chast is an American cartoonist and a staff cartoonist[1] for The New Yorker. She grew up in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, the only child of an assistant principal and a high school teacherr. Her earliest cartoons were published in Christopher Street and The Village Voice. In 1978 The New Yorker accepted one of her cartoons and has since published more than 800. She also publish...more
More about Roz Chast...
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006 The Party after You Left Too Busy Marco The Four Elements