Start by marking “What I Hate” as Want to Read:
What I Hate

What I Hate

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  463 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
The pages of the New Yorker are hallowed ground for cartoonists, and for the last thirty years, Roz Chast has helped set the magazine's cartooning standard, while creating work that is unmistakably her own- characterized by her shaggy lines, an ecstatic way with words, and her characters' histrionic masks of urban and suburban anxiety, bedragglement, and elation.
What I Ha
Published October 18th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What I Hate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Hate

Caterina
May 31, 2015 Caterina rated it really liked it
Fun with Anxiety.
(Why did I read this before bed, why, why why ... ???)
8=O
Briana
Oct 03, 2011 Briana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Sedaris. People with general anxiety (only if you have humor about it!).
Recommended to Briana by: Goodreads Giveaways
**ACTUAL RATING = 4.5 STARS**

This book was pretty freakin funny. She uses the alphabet as a guide to illustrate her anxieties. For example, A is for Alien Abduction. Each letter has a little blurb about the anxiety and an illustration of the anxiety. I think the blurbs were funnier than the drawings. I definitely related with 90% of her worries. The only disappointment I have is that the book was too short. Not much could be done about that because the alphabet isn't that long. Sigh. It looks li
Toni
Feb 04, 2015 Toni rated it really liked it
I think Roz and I might be distant cousins, or sisters separated at birth. Right; I wish. This little book is a great pick-me-up if you're in a down mood and need to laugh and smile.
I currently have a library copy but I want to get my own and keep it on my night table. This way I can grab it for emergency down moments.
Some of my favorites of her "fears" or "hates" are elevators, quicksand, and rabies. She's right about kids books also being censored for illnesses. Oh, and definitely tunnels ma
Kirsti
"If you are the sort of person who never worries about spontaneous combustion, has fun at carnivals, and thinks that the shape of a hammerhead shark's head is just fine the way it is, that's terrific. I'm happy for you. This book is for everyone else."
Erin
Dec 23, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is what I love about the library. This was on a cart for our displays and I picked it up because the title is funny and very grinchy for this time of year. I also just recently read "Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant" and it was very funny and moving.

From the back "If you are the sort of person who never worries about spontaneous combustion, has fun at carnivals, and thinks the shape of a hammerhead shark's head is just fine the way it is, that's terrific. I'm happy for you. This
Licha
Apr 21, 2015 Licha rated it it was ok
Shelves: illustrated
Is this a picture book for kids or adults? Wasn't quite sure. It's not cute enough, or has better illustrations, or has that cool/wow factor to be a kids' book. It's too simple, obvious, and not funny enough to feel like a picture book for adults. It was just meh.

Q=quicksand X=x-rays Y=yellow Z=the letter Z itself

Not very impressed with the above alphabet selections. Shows no creativity whatsoever. In fact, most of the letter selections are obvious.
Karen
Apr 26, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karen by: Jim & Tam's Bookshelf
Roz's hates are really her fears, and her fears led to an A-Z page by page conversation with my 5 year old cousin about what we are and aren't afraid of and why, and how scary things like lightning and heights can both be beautiful and scary, or more beautiful exactly because they're scary. Also my cousin pointed out that on the cover the annoying kid offering a balloon (Roz hates the insistent cheerfulness of balloons and fears their imminent explosion) was the one frightening the "villain" fro ...more
Julia Davis
Jul 01, 2011 Julia Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
The illustrations in this book are quite charming, and hilarious. Though if you are the type of person who worries about everything, you probably shouldn't read this book as it will make you worse.
I have my fair share of anxieties and some were covered in this book. It's a lovely quick read full of humor... and a bit of dread.
I mentioned over reacting and my anxieties. Well when I was reading "S" which in this book is for spontaneous combustion, just as I read the word "Boom" something in my apa
Helen
Jan 26, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
A fun A to Z Alphabet Book for Grown Ups by well known New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast. Includes a cartoon for each item on the alphabetized things that Roz hates, as well as a short comedic vignette. Some items, like Spontaneous Human Combustion, are obvious hates, but the funniest items on the list are the more benign things to hate. Like balloons.
Gregg
Sep 02, 2014 Gregg rated it really liked it
I picked up this little book (which is dedicated to the author's parents) after reading Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant?. It is basically an alphabet book of fears, anxieties, and least favorite things. For example, C is for Carnivals, which she describes as:
A huge crowd of moronic-looking people hell-bent on "amusement"; brutish carnies running rigged games in which people try to win hideous stuffed animals; dangerous rides where you get flung around to the point of nauseousness, ma
Yvensong
Aug 06, 2011 Yvensong rated it really liked it
Recommended to Yvensong by: Darlene
Shelves: arc
This is the paperback ARC version of this book. Same ISBN

I enjoyed this clever, humorous look at different anxieties that the author claims to have (and I share many, if not all, to some degree or another). She depicts these with a little commentary and an accompanying cartoon.

I will definitely look for more of Roz Chast's publications.

Katie
Aug 03, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
It's a list of things she hates due to the fact that they cause her anxiety and as an anxious person myself I either found myself agreeing with her or using her book as a guide for things i should fear. I found this to be a very relatable, cute, and funny book.
Judy
Dec 28, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Roz Chast is a cartoonist for the New Yorker magazine, but I first heard of her when she was interviewed on NPR about her book about her experiences taking care of her elderly parents, Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant. I was surprised to find What I Hate: From A to Z is about the size of a children's picture book. It's also formatted like a picture book; each two-page spread has a paragraph on the left-had page and a full-page cartoon on the right. Extremely quick read, of course, and ...more
Marjorie
Aug 27, 2014 Marjorie rated it liked it
good silly fun.
Jason
Jun 23, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, taught, humor
I've been a subscriber to The New Yorker for a while now, and I've always enjoyed Roz Chast's cartoons. Here, the cartoonists lets loose her greatest fears and anxieties, as organized by the alphabet. The comics are funny, as always, and Roz's brief commentary on the opposing pages is equally hilarious.

This book's format bothered me, though. There weren't any page numbers, but I suppose they aren't really necessary since you can just refer to one of the letters of the alphabet.
"Did you read R?"
Lisa N
Dec 22, 2011 Lisa N rated it it was amazing
Farcical A-to-Z inventory of phobias and unpleasant things. Originated from the anxieties of cartoonist Roz Chast, while playing the alphabet game as a cure for insomnia.

This was hilarious. I was hooked by the letter “B.” As a child, I had a morbid fear of balloons and always felt squeamish at parties.

B: Balloons: “Many terrible things begin with B: bears, blindness, boilers, bats, bridges, and brain tumors. But no one brings any of those things to a party to up the fun quotient. When I look a
Jan 05, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Book Description

Roz Chast has been creating cartoons for the New Yorker since 1978. Right there, you know you'll get a combination of funny and smart. The book is exactly what the title says it is: a list of things that Roz Chast hates from A to Z. Each letter gets two pages. On the left side is some text (usually very short) describing exactly why Chast hates a particular thing. On the right side is a full-page drawing that illustrates the reasons further. Both the text and the drawings complem
Karissa
Aug 21, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it
I picked an advanced reading copy of this book up at Book Expo America. It just looked like too much fun to pass up. It's a fun book, aimed more at adults than kids. Kids can read it but some of the stuff will go right over their heads.

After an introduction explaining Chast's struggles with anxiety, you delve into an alphabet of things Chast hates. Each letter gets a page describing something Chast hates (for B it is Balloons) and on the facing page there is a funny cartoon depicting or expandin
Robert
Nov 12, 2011 Robert rated it liked it
A delightful but ultimately rather trifling effort from the great Roz Chast. I think this would have been better had the illustrations been printed in full color (they were obviously originally executed in watercolors) and perhaps with a little more content. As it is there are some laugh out loud moments and I truly identified with some of the fears Chast explores here (nothing like driving in tunnels that extend DEEP UNDERGROUND, BELOW A BODY OF WATER for a horrifying taste of what it must be l ...more
Claire
Mar 18, 2014 Claire rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What I Hate: Claire edition. The Letter "W" is for What I Hate. This book is laaaaaaame. I mean - a joke about the experience of flying as being like sitting in a metal box suspended by nothing? Never heard that one before at Open Mic Comedy Night. Even if the book is not supposed to be ROFL here, it's never that charming, interesting, creative, or....anything.
Martha
Aug 20, 2015 Martha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The full title is "What I Hate from A-Z". This book is hilariously neurotic, and the semi-creepy illustrations add to the fun index. I have my personal favorite letters: D=Doctors and G=General Anesthesia. It seems that doctors have invaded my life an army of ants. As for general anesthesia, enough is enough after three surgeries, thank you ...
Christiane
Apr 01, 2014 Christiane rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, humor
I loved this book! While I share many of Chast's aversions (elevators, illness, tunnels) I am also excited to make up my own A – Z list. (Oh, and if you go ahead and Google Image cyclopia, which you know you will, do not do so while eating dinner. It is truly horrible.)
Apr 27, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
Don't really want to get started on a rant about the state of publishing and the waste of trees, etc. I like Roz Chast's perspective and her art, but it wasn't funny and stuff like this needs to be funny or it comes across as self-indulgent.
Catherine
May 21, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
An alphabetical picture book about things well worth hating. Takes just a few minutes to read, as there are only 26 letters in the alphabet. Well, plus a bonus page of runners-up, and an appendix (literally).
Marie Fouhey
Aug 13, 2016 Marie Fouhey rated it liked it
Who but Roz Chast would get anxious about the shape of a hammerhead shark? This book isn't as good as "Can't we talk about something more pleasant" but its very amusing.
Marcia
Apr 07, 2015 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Funny stuff. In her signature style, Roz Chast shares her anxieties from A to Z. It's good to laugh at the things that worry us-- the wires in the wall, tunnels, GPS failures....
Tracy
Oct 19, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Great graphic book outlining the author's fears. I loved to see that other people are afraid of some of the same things I fear.
Brandy
Enjoyed a lot of the commentary better than the cartoons. it's possible this catalog of anxieties hit too close to home for me.
Ashley
May 14, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
Loved it!
"When I look at a balloon, all I see is an imminent explosion. Where's the fun in that?" That's about it! ;)
Rachelccameron
Feb 18, 2014 Rachelccameron added it
Shelves: humor
I think this had the potential to be funnier. It was kind of an awkward rant and wasn't all that entertaining
  • Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made
  • Us: Americans Talk About Love
  • The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Bob's Burgers, Volume 1
  • Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials
  • You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Meteor Men
Rosalind "Roz" Chast is an American cartoonist and a staff cartoonist[1] for The New Yorker. She grew up in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, the only child of awn assistant principal and a high school teacher. Her earliest cartoons were published in Christopher Street and The Village Voice. In 1978 The New Yorker accepted one of her cartoons and has since published more than 800. She also publish ...more
More about Roz Chast...

“My rabies fear started with "To Kill a Mockingbird", the same way my appendicitis fear started with "Madeline", and my brain tumor fear started with "Death Be Not Proud". On an ideal planet, children's books wouldn't be censored for references to sex, but for illness.” 0 likes