Start by marking “Pierre and Jean ” as Want to Read:
Pierre and Jean
Read Book* *Different edition

Pierre and Jean

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  3,111 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Considered one of the world's best short story writers, de Maupassant crafted flawless tales, often known for their surprise endings, that have influenced generations of American and European writers. This unique collection contains 19 of his most famous stories and his brilliant novel Pierre and Jean.
Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Pierre and Jean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pierre and Jean

Manny
[Fresh from his triumphs in Bel-Ami, ROBERT PATTINSON will shortly be appearing in Pierre et Jean, directed by A FAMOUS FRENCH DIRECTOR. The following outtake has turned up on YouTube]

FRENCH DIRECTOR: Vous vous souvenez peut-être, j'ai dit que tout le monde doit lire le roman. Monsieur Pattinson, nous comprenons bien que vous êtes la grande star américaine, mais avez-vous le lit, oui ou merde?

INTERPRETER: He asks if you have read the book.

PATTINSON: Well, I've had a lot of shit going on, you kno
Shari
What can easily ruin the relationships between mother and son, and siblings? Maupassant offers an answer in this novel and he presents it so simply, so matter-of-fact, and so straightforward that I found myself completely moved by the story of Pierre and Jean. The psychological impact of this book got me thinking about the characters long after I have finished reading. The dilemma and heartache of Pierre over his slow discovery of his mother's past and his subsequent "exile" to resolve the rift ...more
Travelling Sunny
Two grown brothers. A lifetime of competitiveness and jealousies. A woman. An inheritance. A secret.

Gosh, and that ending! When my oldest son went off to military boot camp, I felt that same sense of loss and emptiness.
Chrissie
I quite simply could not relate to the main characters - i.e. Jean, Pierre and their mother. Everything they said and thought, well I thought differently! We live in different eras, but I do believe it is not just a question of that. One doesn't have to do what is the norm. Then there is the father. He is drawn as a total idiot from start to finish. He understood nothing. There was no depth to his character.

Then there this question - who is a father? Is it he who raises a child or is it the bio
Tanuj Solanki
Office read on the Adelaide edu website.

As a review, I'll share a few of the notes I made while reading it.

(1) In his preface to the book, Maupassant writes, in an essay, that action should be present to conceal the psychology of a character, simply because psychology should not be flaunted. I never imagined anyone putting it so succinctly.

(2) There are nine chapters. Chapter 5 is notable – the character, Pierre, who is almost the conflicted center of the novel, feels here the germs of misogyny.
Loredana Adriana
Uitasem cât de faină e scriitura lui Maupassant! Ei bine, cartea asta mi-a adus aminte. Nu a făcut povestea, cât au făcut joculețele mentale dintre Pierre, Jean și mama lor. Mi-a plăcut la nebunie felul în care Maupassant a descusut conștiința și procesele de gândire ale fiecărui personaj în parte! O carte micuță, dar care închide între paginile ei o lume întreagă. Recomand!
MJ Nicholls
Unlike Robbe-Grillet’s predatory eyes and unspoken menace, Maupassant offers a tale of overt bitter jealousy, with a healthy dose of bastardism thrown into the mix. Jean is the sole inheritor of a family friend’s fortune, leaving his brother Pierre dazed as to his own bad luck. Quite rightly in that situation, you’d be gutted—nothing for me? who was this tosser? So Pierre arrives at a simple conclusion that tears his family apart, all very suddenly, after many pleasant pages of boating and court ...more
Caraliotiscrivo
Che scrittura Maupassant! Mi ha ricordato un po' "Thérèse Raquin" di Zola, non per la trama, ma per l'incredibile capacità di sondare l'animo umano, riuscendo poi a trasmettere i tormenti e i pensieri in modo reale, ma allo stesso tempo poetico, avvolgente e penetrante.
Maupassant mostra una profonda sensibilità e non si può fare a meno di venirne travolti.
La storia di Pierre e Jean è semplice, ma i personaggi sono delineati perfettamente, direi cesellati, come se Maupassant fosse uno scultore. E
Sketchbook
Isn't it romantic ? Younger son Jean is left a fortune by "a friend of the family" and older brother Pierre perceives that mum may have sought other hugs years ago. Moral : Be careful what you sniff for.
Stephen Durrant
In one of his last novels (1888/89), Maupassant turns to the old and familiar theme of fraternal jealousy and also depicts the unhappiness and hypocrisy that so often lurks just below the surface of the “happy family.” The character of the two brothers provides much of the novel’s interest. Pierre is tempestuous, Jean is placid; Pierre is insightful, albeit not so much as the prostitute or the immigrant (just one more expression of the literary motif of the “insightful social or political outsid ...more
Just arrived from France.

Page 14: "L' artiste essaie, reussit ou echoue."
" Le critique ne doit apprecier le resultat que suivant la nature de l'effort: et il n'a pas le droit de se preoccuper des tendances."

Page 17: "Le vrai peut quelquefois n'etre pas vraisemblable."

Page 24: "Le talent est une longue patience."

Katie Grainger
One of my literary failings is that if a book is published before a certain date I generally find them hard going and unfulfilling. There are a few exceptions to this rule and with Pierre et Jean I am happy to be able to add one to the list.

Pierre et Jean is a story about two brothers, Pierre the older and Jean the younger. When an old friend of the family dies he leaves Jean all his money. At first the family are happy with the windfall, however as time passes Pierre is consumed by jealously a
Bookworm4ever
Sandra
Pierre et Jean is a story about two brothers. If you have brothers and sisters, you may have wondered yourself sometime how similar they are two you or how, in some way, they are totally different. Is this all just a question of genes or of upbringing? Maupassant focused on the similarities and differences of the two main characters, which again are reflected in the secondary characters – his parents and their social environment. Maupassant has a good sense for lively and detailed character desc ...more
Jim
Pierre E. Loignon
Dans ce roman, comme dans tous les romans de Maupassant, les personnages sont complètement dénués de profondeur. Ce sont de petits êtres fragiles, sensibles aux moindres contrecoups de leurs destinées.
Cette absence d’humanité digne de ce nom est le secret d’auteur qui permet à Maupassant de fondre parfaitement ensemble sa trame narratrice, ses personnages, son récit et le contexte où l’ensemble se déploie dans son style parfait. Ceteris paribus sic stantibus, comme en sciences, l’on se sent, co
joy pun-joz
Pierre et Jean and Continuity in Maupassant's Stories

Illegitimacy and women's extra-marital infidelities are apparently among G. dM's "pet subjects" and well-explored issues. He, being a lawyer, thankfully has the ability to lay open a psychological struggle and its connections with willed unpleasant family outcomes. With the high sensitivity and considerations in presenting these controversies, it was remarkable accomplishment to churn out a string of works on these cases, alongside this Pierre
Jason Carlin
What I love about the French is that they're perfectly happy to present you with a character, make them suffer intensely, and by the end of the book have no fear in leaving them that way. It's true to life and makes me realise how much of an illusion certain books are, most obviously evident with Dean Koontz. His novels always begin with some impossible-to-overcome difficulty for the central characters, and then somehow they manage to wriggle their way to a happy resolution. It's fine if you're ...more
Dagny
M. Roland is a retired jeweller who, loving the sea, has retired to Havre with his wife. Pierre and Jean, their two grown sons have now completed their eduction in Paris, one a doctor, the other a lawyer, and have joined their parents for a rest before setting up in their professions. The brothers have been competitive their entire lives and now they meet Mme. Rosemilly, a well-to-do widow of only twenty-three. But this is only the first incident in a series of happenings that threaten to tear t ...more
Jason
I liked this novella just fine but it did not come close to Bel-Ami. Partly it may have been my higher expectations, partly it may be that it felt like a slighter work, and partly I think Bel-Ami accomplished something novels today do not really do--in describing a particular social world and navigating through it--while Pierre et Jean was a more psychological novella and in that regard has been topped many times since. My favorite scene was when Jean declares his love for Madame Rosémilly, a ch ...more
Haïfa  Braïki
Cette histoire ne dure qu'à peine une centaine de pages, mais elle est remarquablement écrite. Je rêve d'atteindre une telle densité d'écriture. Maupassant y aborde beaucoup de thèmes dont certains lui sont très personnels. Il voudrait nous faire croire que cette oeuvre est une sorte d'étude clinique de la famille bourgeoise dans sa préface mais la mère de Pierre et Jean est comme un souvenir de sa propre mère, Laure, aimée et admirée, et Pierre et Jean ne sont que les deux faces de la même pers ...more
Plucino
"Zut !" s'écria tout à coup le père Roland...
Il libro parte come con un colpo di fucile; si sviluppa poi robustamente attorno al conflitto sotterraneo fra i fratelli Pierre e Jean, il giorno e la notte dal punto di vista fisico e caratteriale.
La trama è tutto sommato convenzionale e inquadrabile solo nel contesto della società (piccolo)borghese del XIX secolo, ma de Maupassant è uno di Schwarzenegger della letteratura, ti porta dove vuole lui e c'è poco da discutere.
Philip Jackson
A fine little novella from a great French novelist. Familial harmony is shattered when one of two brothers receives an unexpected inheritance from a family friend. The older brother cannot understand why his younger brother should receive all the inheritance, until realisation dawns that the family friend may have been closer than any of them thought. Sibling rivalry erupts, and the story ends with a beautifully understated, but very reasonable conclusion.
Sebastien
Je suis tombé sur une boite de livre littéraire que j'ai lu lors de mon Cégep, comme ça devrait compter dans mes roman lu je vais les décrire brièvement. Je ne ferai pas de critique de pièces de théatre car je ne le considère pas comme un roman. Voici la courte critique de ce livre:

Pierre est Jean est considéré comme un des meilleur livre de Maupassant. C'est le deuxième livre que j'ai lu de mon cours Littérature et Imaginaire. Très bien écrit il décrit l'histoire de jalousie entre 2 frère où l'
Wayland Smith
This book is like a recipe for family disaster. Take two brothers with a strong thread of jealousy. Add an unexpected inheritance. Let simmer.

Maupassant created a family drama with a lot ugly twists. The dark side of family life comes through here starkly and well.

Definitely not a book to share with your siblings.
Armand Chauvel
Bordeaux or Burgundy wine ? Flaubert or Guy de Maupassant ? I guess we born with that kind of predilection. Personnaly, I always prefered Maupassant to Flaubert, don't know why. Maybe because I was forced to read Salammbôt at school and never got other the trauma. One ot the most remarkable thing, in Pierre et Jean, is the preface. Maupassant writes about the novel's genre and dramaturgy in such a modern way that it reminded me of The Anatomy of Story, from John Truby, or even How To Write a Dam ...more
Janet Aileen
A gem of a novella...well drawn characters, sense of place, and period. The family tale of tragedy is written in deMaupassant's clean, beautiful prose to it's poignant end.
Craig
Masterful and succinct. I almost enjoyed the preface more than this great little slice of wonderful French writing.
C.
Extraordinarily skilful. If a better example of realism/naturalism exists, I want to see it.
Itzel
I had to read this for school and I must say I didn't enjoy it that much. The beginnig was long and nothing was really happening and then it got more enjoyable.

So this is the story of a family in Normandy, France. Every thing goes well until an old friend of the family dies and leaves all his money to the youngest of the boys (2). His brother is determined to find out why, and in his resolution, he uncovers a dark family secret...

I didn't like it that much because the realism movement does not
  • The Temptation of St. Antony
  • Born in Exile
  • Le Colonel Chabert
  • Castle Richmond
  • La Bête humaine (Les Rougon-Macquart, #17)
  • Marius the Epicurean
  • The Monastery
  • On the Eve
  • The Absentee
  • Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.
  • La mare au diable
  • The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
  • The Stechlin
  • Under Fire
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)

“The great artists are those who impose their personal vision upon humanity.” 9 likes
“There were some children round him playing in the dust on the paths. They had long fair hair, and with very earnest faces and solemn attention were making little mountains of sand so as to stamp on them and squash them underfoot.
Pierre was going through one of those gloomy days when one looks into every corner of one's soul and shakes out every crease.
'Our occupations are like the work of those kids,' he thought. Then he wondered whether after all the wisest course in life was not to beget two or three of these little useless beings and watch them grow with complacent curiosity. And he was touched by the desire to marry. You aren't so lost when you're not alone any more. At any rate you can hear somebody moving near you in times of worry and uncertainty, and it is something anyway to be able to say words of love to a woman when you are feeling down.
He began thinking about women.
His knowledge of them was very limited, as all he had had in the Latin Quarter was affairs of a fortnight or so, dropped when the month's money ran out and picked up again or replaced the following month. Yet kind, gentle, consoling creatures must exist. Hadn't his own mother brought sweet reasonableness and charm to his father's home? How he would have loved to meet a woman, a real woman!
He leaped up, determined to go and pay a little visit to Mme Rosémilly.
But he quickly sat down again. No, he didn't like that one!”
2 likes