Start by marking “William Morris in Iceland : Questions of Travel” as Want to Read:
William Morris in Iceland : Questions of Travel

William Morris in Iceland : Questions of Travel

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
William Morris in Iceland: Questions of Travel Lavinia Greenlaw's selection from Morris's Icelandic Journal ('the best book of travel written by an English poet', and the least known) is interposed with her own 'questions of travel', which follow the footprints of Morris's prose, responding to its surfaces and undercurrents, extending its horizons. The result is a new and ...more
Hardcover
Published 2011 by Notting Hill Editions

To ask other readers questions about William Morris in Iceland , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Morris in Iceland

Sienna
Sep 15, 2013 Sienna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Better in theory than execution. Greenlaw often simply paraphrases instead of elevating Morris's own remarks, which make for worthwhile reading on their own for the honesty and humor and humanity that shine from each page. His willingness to describe his flaws, his foibles, his fears would have won me over if I hadn't already counted myself a fan of the man.

Lord! what littleness and helplessness has taken the place of the old passion and violence that had place here once — and all is unforgotte
Fiona
Dec 26, 2014 Fiona rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in William Morris and/or Iceland.
Recommended to Fiona by: London Review of Books
Shelves: iceland, travel
I enjoyed this book on a number of different levels. I love Iceland - a truly beautiful, amazing and intriguing country - which is what first drew my attention to this book, and then the quote on the front cover completely sucked me in:
' . . . a great mass of dark grey mountains worked into pyramids and shelves, looking as if they had been built and half ruined.'
It reminded me of my own travels in Iceland and the sights I had seen. On top of all this I've always liked the work of William Morris
Homestic
More of an essay on the very nature of travel than necessarily on Iceland. Stunning in its own way. The occasional ramble, as journals are wont to do. Lavinia Greenlaws additional poetic notes taken from the journals are a fantastic addition.
Alastair
The perfect accompaniment to a trip to Iceland. Some of the commentary was a little superfluous, but Morris writes excellently.
Daisy Watt
Daisy Watt marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Lamp
Lamp is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Jul 15, 2013
Gabriel Winer
Gabriel Winer marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Darrell Hartman
Darrell Hartman marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Aisling
Aisling marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2012
Robyn Sim
Robyn Sim marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Belinda Webb
Belinda Webb marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2011
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 28, 2011
The Importance of Music to Girls Minsk Mary George Of Allnorthover The Casual Perfect An Irresponsible Age