Start by marking “Il totemismo oggi. Un'introduzione storica e critica allo studio del pensiero selvaggio ” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Il totemismo, ossia il particolare fenomeno per cui un uomo o un gruppo di uomini si legano con un rapporto di parentela e di mutua protezione a una specie animale - o a piante o a fenomeni naturali - è stato variamente considerato: gli sono stati di volta in volta riconosciuti e negati carattere religioso e carattere universale; a volte è stato considerato tipico di una f

Paperback, 3th edition Universale economica [483], 151 pages
Published November 1976 by Feltrinelli (first published 1962)

Be the first to ask a question about Il totemismo oggi. Un'introduzione storica e critica allo studio del pensiero selvaggio

Hortense
The boy in the library had a totem but he didn't know it until I gave it to him. His arcane consciousness so much older than his obvious years, his shaggy hair, feminine looks, big brown pupils, long eyelashes. I studied him. I flashed on his totem, it was the priapic spring of woodbine I cut outside that morning. When I took his Totem to his solitary table he looked up. I saw small fears in his eyes, I saw mischievous recognition.

The woodbine was wrapped nicely in a damp paper towel so it woul...more
Conor
Unless you've done some reading on Totemism, this probably won't be an enjoyable read. Unlike some of his other stuff, where he starts fresh and brings in other works much later, this one is deep in the texts of early 1900s Anthropology. Expect to need to be familiar with Durkheim, "Papa" Boaz, Evans Prichard, and a host of members from the colorful cast that was the British school of Structuralism.

Hell, I was prone to like liking this as a fan of Levi-Strauss, but I didn't really get friendly w...more
Matt
It's funny the kinds of things you turn up when you dig through your physical bookshelves-- this is a book I bought, it's probably close to twenty years ago now, and never read. But since I read Freud's Totem and Taboo, I thought I'd give this one a shot.

For me, it's primarily interesting as a way to set up Derrida's argument in his "Structure and Sign" essay. The argument L-S is making, I think, is that totemism, which sure feels "natural" is bound up in exogamy (that is, the incest taboo) whic...more
Rich
Everything I'm going to say in this review would be picked apart by Levi Strauss because he's very sharp. What I'm saying in this review wouldn't satisfy him or an expert on him so take it all with skepticism. This review is also an unedited mess.

Most of this book is a critique of other philosophers and anthropologists who study totemism. Most of the basis of what Levi Stauss says comes from an iteration of what someone else said. It is important to realize that Levi Strauss wrote this book with...more
Michael sinkofcabbages
no i did not have to read this for a class. I think for such a seminal Author and for how short the book is; everyone should read this book. I know that its isnt everyons cup of tea, but there are so many things to take from this. Just for a different point of sight is worth it enough. Let alone how people view in-animate objects in thier lives. Just the whole value and power of the use of "masks" can have you thinking for days on how this applies to modern cultural "masks".
Give it a try, youll...more
Anna
I can't really give it any more than three stars for the basic reason that I didn't take it all in. I read it all, but I can't remember most of it, as is the case with most of the things I have to read for uni >_>'. What I read and understand, I found interesting and enjoyed reading. But I think before I can decide whether to give it more than 3 stars or not, I'd need to re-read it, which I'm planning on doing (someday).
Anthony D Buckley
A seminal work. The topic is ostensibly totemism, but more profoundly, Levi-Strauss unveils an entire methodology, showing, inter alia, how metaphor organizes social organization.
Dalibor Mergel
Dalibor Mergel marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Carine
Carine marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Manny
Manny added it
Sep 16, 2014
Seneda
Seneda marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nicholas MR
Nicholas MR marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Valdimar
Valdimar marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mehdi
Mehdi is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Terio Adrián
Terio Adrián marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Tommy Keane
Tommy Keane marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Melek
Melek marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
مازن
مازن marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Claude Lévi-Strauss was a French anthropologist, well-known for his development of structural anthropology. He was born on November 28, 1908 in Belgium as the son of an artist, and a member of an intellectual French Jewish family. Lévi-Strauss studied at the University of Paris. From 1935-9 he was Professor at the University of Sao Paulo making several expeditions to central Brazil. Between 1942-1...more
More about Claude Lévi-Strauss...
Tristes Tropiques The Savage Mind Structural Anthropology Myth and Meaning The Raw and the Cooked: Mythologiques, Volume 1