Start by marking “The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia

The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Zombies are cautionary forms of humankind's most universally cherished ideal--life after death. Often ragged, unkempt, ill-spoken, rotting individuals, zombies (or the post-dead) seem socially awkward in comparison to the more popular and more aristocratic, undead, like Count Dracula and his peers. And so, the humble zombie remains, for the most part, unappreciated and una ...more
Published December 29th 2010 by McFarland & Company (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia

Heather
Apr 06, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-thing
Let's face it: I love zombies! Zombie movies, zombie books, whatever. They're just "fun"! So when I saw that I'd won The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia through Library Thing's Early Reviewers, I thought "What fun!"

I wasn't sure what to expect, but figured it was probably your standard-type of movie listing book. Just a list of movies, year released, actors, and quick synopsis.

What I found instead was a bit more than that. The book begins with an in-depth Introduction, whereby the author explains his
Mar 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: para-zombies
Why read: Received for review from LibraryThing Early Reviewers

What impressed me: I enjoyed that Dendle put his own voice and opinions in the reviews. It felt more personal that most movie encyclopedia reviews.

What disappointed me: The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia is terribly out of date. Why publish a book in 2010 if you haven't updated the information since it was first published in 2001? A huge amount of zombie movies have been released in that time period, all of which would be of interest to z
Jeremy
Oct 23, 2008 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie freaks
I got my copy straight from Mr. Dendle himself. Great author and great book. He even covers TV appearances of zombies. An invaluable resource.
Mimi
May 09, 2011 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I won a free copy of this book, I really wasn't sure what to expect. Campy Zombie Spoof? Bizarro Fiction? Really creepy, scary stuff of nightmares? As it turns out, none of the above is the correct answer. This book starts with a fascinating study of the Zombie as it evolved from the African-Caribbean tradition to the Western Suburban Mythological tradition. Written by Peter Dendle, an Associate Professor of English at Penn State Mont Alto who focuses on the monstrous (in film, folklore, an ...more
Amy
Apr 04, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-issue of a hardcover book that was published in 2000, so if you're looking for an up-to-the-minute guide to zombie movies, this probably isn't the book for you. For zombie movie fans who have been keeping up with the shamblings and nibblings of our undead friends via blogs and Rotten Tomatoes and want a well-written book on the evolution of zombies in film without all the annoying "film studies"ese, this is terrific.

Dendle has some wonderful phrases and one-liners throughout his rev
Andrea Blythe
Dec 01, 2011 Andrea Blythe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The first thing I do with a book like this, which is essentially a list of zombie movies, is to flip through the book, find all the movies I've seen, read the descriptions, and finally, check them off the list. I did not read the rest of the book; that's not how I work. I will, however, continue to read the book as I work my way through watching the rest of the movies mentioned within.

I found the descriptions I did read to be entertaining and contain a healthy dose of intelligent criticism. Den
Sunday
It's a comprehensive encyclopedia of zombie movies, with astute observations in the synopses. Better yet, the introduction has a great overview of the movei genre. I'm no stranger to zombie movies, but there was plenty to learn in the intro. It's a nice cred factor to have it on your bookshelf, but it's also a great read.
Marya
Jun 21, 2012 Marya rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Loved that I have a handy reference to grab when arguments on zombie movies get heated. Wish it was more up to date, but beggars cannot be choosers.
Carl
Oct 16, 2011 Carl rated it really liked it
Very informative. Found out about a ton of movies I never heard of. Alot of off the radar movies that are hard to find. Good read
Harri
Harri rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Adam Labatore
Adam Labatore rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2015
Penny
Penny added it
Aug 19, 2015
Ryan Newman
Ryan Newman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Chad Radford
Chad Radford rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Mike Browne
Mike Browne rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Michael Herndon
Michael Herndon rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Joshua Wiles
Joshua Wiles marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Corkey sinks
Corkey sinks rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Nyssa
Nyssa added it
Apr 09, 2014
Daniel Lomax
Daniel Lomax marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kristin Rommel
Kristin Rommel marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Thelma Kastl
Thelma Kastl rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Brianne
Brianne rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Jungle2
Jungle2 marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Cybil
Cybil rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013