Start by marking “The Medium Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Medium Next Door

The Medium Next Door

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  58 reviews
At just five years old, Maureen Hancock discovered her ability to communicate with the dead. Descended from a long line of legendary Irish mystics, she was no stranger to the spiritual realm, but for fear of being misunderstood by her friends and family she kept the otherworldly messages to herself, eventually suppressing them completely.
Maureen wouldn't hear the spirits
Published April 7th 2011 by Health Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Medium Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medium Next Door

Carolyn Zeller
I found the author to be egotistical and her observations of questionable validity. She prays to her dead grandmother and others in order to connects with the dead and to bring "closure" to those who grieve. She says she takes no money for her gift of clairvoyance, however, she is obsessed with landing a television reality show. The show obviously is a bomb and so is this book. Watch out to whom you pray.
Laurie
So interesting, just as Maureen herself is. What I especially liked about this book is that she has a section at the end of each chapter of questions and ideas of things to think and meditate about in your own personal life that connect to her chapter. Very readable and upbeat.
Kristin Bateman
Absolutely amazing! Hancock's voice and tone is so enjoyable and pleasant. What a wonderful story, and an even more wonderful woman.
Hazellie
Very inspiring and moving. I learned a lot and it gave me assurance and confidence.
Christine Fay
This first novel by this amazing woman is a great read for those who believe in spirituality. I’ve seen her spirit connections firsthand and went to high school with her sister, Patrice. She is the real deal. And, her book is so well done and full of sound, inspirational advice that if taken, will make for more fulfilled living, and a lightening of your stress level as well. I was taken aback when she mentioned the death of my friend, Carla Bagtaz, in the Station Night Club Fire of Rhode Island. ...more
Dani
this book had been on my shelves forever - not even sure when/where it came from - but i finally read it and am glad that i did. i thought the author did a great job of outlining what she experiences and how she has lived her life to try and use her gift to help others. i talked about it a lot with friends as i was reading it and though i am not sure what i believe on the whole topic of afterlife and spirits, the way she describes her work it wholly believable and will make you question and thin ...more
Heavensent1
The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer is a new age spiritual book on channeling.

Maureen Hancock was raised in a large family of Irish Catholic heritage. It is said she was born with a veil over her when she was born and old wives tales and legends have always explained this as being "special" in psychic abilities.

Ever since she had a near-death experience as a little girl, Maureen has seen things that she was unable to explain and she decides to stifle her "gift" for th
Autumn Blues Reviews
Maureen is a gift from God for those in need of spiritual healing and comfort, she is the closest you can come to being in the prescence of an Angel.

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to review The Medium Next Door. In her book Maureen walks you through her life and how she got to where she is today. Maureen was raised Irish Catholic in a large family of nine children. She begins her story with her life as a child and how a near death experience opened up her intuition allowing her to
Norma
Maureen Hancock considers herself part of the God Squad. She feels that her ability to communicate with the deceased is a gift that was granted to her by God.

When she was little, she had the ability to speak with the spirits. However, she quickly learned to shut this communication line off. However, she was in an car accident that helped to reopen it. Once it was reopened, she was truly amazed at the gift she was given.

She now has the ability to give closure to families who have lost loved ones
McGuffy Morris
This was an interesting read. Maureen writes with the ease of speaking directly to the reader, making her book easy and a pleasure to read.

Born one of nine children in an Irish Catholic family, Maureen tells of being intuitive from an early age. She writes of coming from a lineage of intuitive women, including her mother and grandmother. As a child, Maureen experienced a serious illness which brought her near death. She feels this heightened her abilities, making her more sensitive.

Since accept
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/20...

Author Maureen Hancock comes from a long line of Irish healers and grew up with Southern, church-going women. Raised outside of Boston, she was born with a veil (or caul, as my Southern roots call it), which, according to some beliefs, indicate special gifts (ESP, etc.)

This book contains anecdotes telling the story of how she realized her gifts of healing and of hearing spirits, her family, her foundations, her work w
Lisa Winterburn
Great book

This book is fascinating and inspiring. Maureen is the real deal, and her stories of love that reach beyond this world and back will bring comfort and hope to anyone who listens with an open heart.
Susan
Couldn't put the book down!

Maureen has a lot to share and she does it in a down to earth, entertaining and engaging way. I saw her in person and received healing messages from spirit. She is amazing.
Lisa S.
Amazing book, by a very humble, talented and down to earth medium. I love her readings, and she adds humor to each chapter! Very inspirational and heartwarming!
Luminea
I was expecting an autobiographical book, but not one that I found so engrossing and moving! It made me cry and laugh out loud. As Maureen herself says, "...this book is so much more than just reading someone else's story. It's a culmination of stories from tragdedy to triumph. It's a guidebook on transitioning from life to death and back again, and on living life to the fullest in memory of our loved ones in spirit."

I was also interested in how Maureen described her clairaudient experiences and
Jules
I really enjoyed this book.I have had some experiences similar to her but shut them out because they scared me.Her approach is so light/normal about it though that it seems to have made me more aware again of those around me in spirit and less afraid of it.Her compassion, honesty, humour and love shine through and you just can't read this and think she's a fake.It's so obvious she isn't.I'd love to meet her one day. Really interesting read and ultimately it takes some of the sting out of death f ...more
Barbara
this was such an awesome book. she is not only a great author but wonderful to see in person
Michelle
Maureen Hancock is the real deal. She lives her life with purpose and her work as a medium to help and support others is amazing.
Theresia Canniff
A most entertaining and fascinating book
Jym-ann
This book was so wonderful! I cried,laughed (she is soo funny) and wrote down inspiring messages. I have had the good fortune to be read by Maureen many times. I have brought everyone that I know who needs comfort after losing a loved one to see her. She is an earth Angel who comforts everyone that she comes in contact with. A MUST read. P.S. Her TV pilot just aired , "Psychic in Suburbia " on Style network and it was great. I hope it becomes a series.. God Bless Maureen Hancock. I think I will ...more
Jane Doy
This book adds a new twist to dieing. Since she is not the one who passed away she is the messenger for those who have. The book allows you to see a different perspective of the sprits around us. We have a tendency to look for signs with our eyes but the spirit world just makes a subtle gesture with a tap on your shoulder. The book teaches you to look with your heart and not your eyes and you too will realize our love ones do come through. If anyone lost someone close I highly recommend reading ...more
Jessica
She focused more on death than spirits. Yes, death involves spirits, but I felt like instead of telling the stories of the spirits, she focused on their deaths. The main deaths she focused on were those of young children and young adults. And she seemed to focus on cancer a lot. Also, she repeated herself quite a bit. I did enjoy the book, though. Towards the end of the book, it seemed like she finally figured out what she wanted to say and how she wanted to say it. The last maybe 3/4 of the boo ...more
Maureen
I loved this book. I have seen Maureen Hancock several times and believe that she truly has a gift. Her book is broken down into chapters, each one detailing either a part of her life, or one of the many spiritual healing methods she employs. It all ties together to give you a picture of someone who is literally the girl next door (she lives on the South Shore), but who has an extraordinary gift which she uses to help families and terminally ill patients, particularly children. Interesting read.
Tracy
Such an uplifting book
Courtney Oliver
Great book! Especially for grieving and tuning in on your in senses.
Elena
This was a very quick read for me. In some ways it was somewhat eviscerating. It highlighted ways in which I wasn't really dealing well with the losses in my life. I expected it to be somewhat funnier than it was as the writer is a comedian but her writing style is very serious and not funny although a limited number of the events she recounts are somewhat humorous. I enjoyed the book on one level but it did really make me think and confront some things, which wasn't always enjoyable.
Eileen
This was selected by a colleague at work. It was a really good read. Interesting and learned some about the role of a medium. The stories about the people the medium worked with were real and I enjoyed hearing about her work. There were some activities that I marked "to do" and will follow up and try them. Reading about the people that passed away made me miss the ones I lost, especially my dad. I do recommend the book for an easy read. She was local, too-a Boston based medium!
Kim
I absolutely loved this book! Maureen is such a pleasure to read. Her stories and life are so interesting. Her words actually helped me through a tough time I was having at the time I was reading her book. Someday I hope I am lucky enough to get the chance to meet her in person. I would read anything written by Maureen Hancock, so I hope there will be more to come! Take some time, have an open mind, and read "The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer!"
Michele
My friend took me to a group reading by this woman and I was extremely surprised. She definitely seemed to be on target with her readings. I read her book and really enjoyed it. She writes in a straight forward manner and recounts a number of incidents that happened to her. It can be emotional as she deals with personal losses and child angels. I recommend the book whether you believe in an after life or not - maybe it will help you make up your mind.
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • Reaching to Heaven
  • You Are Psychic: The Art of Clairvoyant Reading & Healing
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Life Among the Dead
  • The Esoteric Orders and Their Work
  • Meditation Motivation - A Quick Tour of Buddhism and 20 Easy Tips to Create a Daily Practice
  • The Haunted Ebook
  • Got to Live
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
  • Infinite Quest: Develop Your Psychic Intuition to Take Charge of Your Life
  • Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife
  • The People in the Attic: The Haunting of Doretta Johnson
  • Sastun: One Woman's Apprenticeship with a Maya Healer and Their Efforts to Save the Vani
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City