Start by marking “Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,884 ratings  ·  101 reviews
You can't make this stuff up! Dave Barry would never lie--and here are the real life, laugh-out-loud stories from across America to prove it: a U.S. Supreme Court justice shares his remedy for preventing gas ("I had not realized that this was a matter of concern in the highest levels of government"); a newspaper headline in Ohio announces the combustibility of strawberry P ...more
Published February 27th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
188th out of 1,428 books — 2,072 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Excellence in sarcasm
242nd out of 262 books — 424 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
This was a couple of dozen of his columns which I've always loved. The perfect length as my sense of humor tends to trip out after a while. I was cutting up a tree that ice storm took partially down in the horses' field while listening to this, so I had to take a few breaks when things got dicey.

(Lots of energy & twisting left in that big, old hackberry. I wish the wood was prettier as it was 16" in diameter & should make some nice bowls, but I'll have to stain them or something. I don'
Bethany White
Would I Lie To You?
Dave Barry tells it like it is…kind of.

Dave Barry
Ballantine Books, 1994

Dave Barry draws from his experience as a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and extracts the humor from everyday life. He counts on his readers to assist him in gathering any news or events of great importance: UFO sightings, Elvis giving tours of Graceland, and high-top sneakers with air pumps. One can’t forget the invention of Beano, either. Although presumably silly, each o
Voracious_reader
Incredibly funny—Dave Barry is Not Making This Up—Dave Barry is the sort of person you’d love to sit close enough to eavesdrop on at a dinner party, but not close enough that you’d end up being in one of his stories. I particularly enjoyed invasion of the money snatchers: a story of a bunch of old guys trying to do the right thing by declaring income from a lottery win and ending up being sued by the government for money well in excess of what was won. The chapters are different 2-4 page article ...more
Jill
I came away from this book more convinced than ever that with DB, it's simply a matter of "the shorter the funnier". The REALLY LONG chapters (Elvis fans, and Trip to China, for example) = major snooze fest. The Lawn Rangers bit, also pretty nap-worthy. However I think I just should've put it down and come back to it a few more times rather than just go hell for leather and knock the whole thing off in one go. Because his formula can get boring if you don't take it in short, clean breaks.

In my
Jason Axley
I remembered Dave Barry as being more funny (lol funny) recalling when I read him as a kid. But I also recall thinking that comics were amusing as well. He is a good writer but sad to say I cannot avoid comparing him to David Sedaris. I was looking for that funny-but-more-than-a-clever-chuckle kind. My wife and I would crack up at David Sedaris. But alas, Barry's stories were fairly interesting but more clever and amusing than really funny that I was looking for.
Kristin
This was a rather average read. There were some absolutely laugh-out-loud parts, but by and large, he was only mildly amusing, and, during his longer essays, completely boring. I skipped tracks for his longer articles because he completely loses his humour in them. But, then there were parts where my guffaws filled every space in my car. Overall, a mediocre read.
Paul Beimers
Feb 01, 2015 Paul Beimers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: enjoy Barry, seek a light read.
Not the funniest book of Barry's that I've read, but I'm not sure that it's meant to be overtly humorous. There is undoubtedly an emphasis placed on the quirks and oddities of everyday life, with the occasional serious piece that seems to be included more for informational interest or emotional impact than laughs.

Whatever his goals may be, Barry is consistently enjoyable. When he wants to be, he's hysterical (his piece dedicated to a mock political thriller novel is a riot). When he decides to p
Suzanne
Although the situations were humorous, I was not laughing out loud like I expected to be.
Lucy
This book is a collection of Dave's columns based around real-life things and events. Naturally it's largely humour, but has a few serious moments--an exploration of the Elvis phenomenon, a visit to Hong Kong before its reversion to China's rule, and Dave's twelve-year-old son being hit by a car.

I was interested to find that this somewhat tied into the last book (The Mothman Prophecies)--one article was about a rash of UFO sightings in Florida, with some direct quotes from some of John Keel's bo
mairywo
This book is a collection of Dave Barry's best and funniest columns. They range from hilarious to quite serious and cover every subject imaginable.[return][return]He talks about a science fair project with ants for his son's school, snakes and other animals coming out of toilets, loud passengers on airplanes, pop-tarts blowing up toasters and setting houses on fire, boating trips to Bimini, UFOs in Florida, circumcision, Zebra mussels in bras, burglar alarms, criminals in New York, worst songs a ...more
Bill Eckhardt
If you like Dave Barry . .

I like Dave Barry. This is one more in his collection of absurd metaphors. Most are very clever and I find them entertaining for days after I've read the book. However you may find repeating them to others who you think might find them hilarious also . . . Well let me put it this way, it may lose a bit in the translation.

I'm about to get another Dave Barry book to perk me up.
Lesli
Steve
This book was really fun - and dated. I averaged two or three good laughs every four pages. Barry is a master at a skillful exaggeration. Some of the content in this book sent me back mentally to the years of the Clinton presidency. If I ever write a humor book I am going to follow Barry's lead and take a picture of myself looking like a famous rock star - in his case, Jagger.
Sarah Jowett
I love Dave Barry and this book reminds me why his page at the Miami Herald online was my favorite bookmark all through the 90s (got married and had my son at the end so I was kind of distracted but I still got the books!).
Jen
You can't read this book and wonder why Barry is one of the leading humor writers in the world; his writing is riddled with laugh-out-loud gems. It usually takes a lot to make me laugh, but this book had me quaking with giggles so often I had to stop reading it at night, so I wouldn't wake my husband. The two longer chapters - one on UFOs and the other Elvis fans - aren't as funny, but show off Barry's talent as a more "serious" writer, and are still entertaining in their own right.

This book is
Karenbike Patterson
Good for a few laughs while driving in the car. Especially funny the pieces on natural childbirth and circumcision.
Susan
A friend gave us tickets to hear Dave Barry speak at a Celebrity Forum in May. In anticipation of the event, I got this audiobook from the library so we could listen during our drive to Lake Tahoe. The introductions are read by Dave Barry and the stories themselves are read by Arte Johnson (remember "Laugh-In"?). The stories vary, but some are laugh-out-loud funny. Even my reticent husband was really laughing at some of the stories, especially those we could relate to like the airplane passenger ...more
Andrew
Simple humor is always good. "SPOILER" Dave Barry did it! :o)
Maria Dudley
Read this a long time ago, but I loved it and all Dave Barry books.
Ryan
Exactly what you want out of a Dave Barry book. I laughed.
Marcel Rodriguez
Dec 03, 2014 Marcel Rodriguez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who need to loosen up
Recommended to Marcel by: A friend at work
Shelves: crazy-funny
Dave Barry can find humor in anything, and I'm not making that up. After I've read something by him I just feel a whole lot better about everything. How can you not read him every day?
Janie
I used to really like Dave Barry, so I picked up this collection to read and I found that he is still enjoyable but the stories in here seem somewhat dated. Originally published in 1994 the stories seemed stale. I don't know if it is because I read them before (I might have since I used to watch for his column in the paper) or it may be that I am at a different place in my life. If you haven't tried a Barry book, by all means try one. but try one of his newer books. Very short collection.
Amy
I found myself laughing out loud several times. I really enjoy Dave Barry's humor.
Chy
I just needed to laugh and nod my head, and this is one I hadn't read. There are a few Barry collections out there like that, but I don't make any effort to get at them. Like with David Sedaris, I'm scared to be all done.

Now, for needing to just laugh, I go to Barry. For liking some grittiness and touched-ness in there, I go to Sedaris. But damned if Dave Barry didn't almost make me cry.

These humor people, they get me.
Stephanie
I have to include this because Dave Barry actually taught me how to be a satirist. Yeah...not Jonathan Swift, Dave Barry. My English teacher introduced me to him when I was in high school and asked me to start imitating his style. From essentially directly biting off of him, I was able to shape my own writing style and become an effective (and in some circles, popular!) satirist in my own regard. Thanks, Dave!
Lois Tucker
This was very entertaining on books on CD. The reader is excellent. Dave Barry is a humorist from Miami whose material invariably visits booger and scatological jokes, and his other stories can be very entertaining. I wondered, as I listened to one segment about readers sending in their votes for the worst song of all time (by snail mail), how the Internet has affected his column.
Meaghan
he is SO funny!!!
Jen
Feb 13, 2009 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I have this one on my nightstand for nights when I am too worried to go to sleep. The short essays in the book are perfect for giving me something to read to make me laugh and relax me. Yet they are not the long story that will keep me reading until the wee hours of the morning. I have read this so many times I practically have it memorized. Love it.
Sher
I love Dave Berry. He makes me smile. He makes me laugh so hard I cry. And sometimes he makes me think. He can be tender and serious, as this book proves out. But mostly he just makes me happy. Sometimes I just can't take another heavy book, and I need a little fun and lightness in my life. That is the time to turn to Dave Barry.
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • Shave the Whales
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • Fatherhood
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • Say Hello to Cactus Flats: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)