Start by marking “Dave Barry Turns Fifty” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry Turns Fifty

Dave Barry Turns Fifty

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,164 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist comes a celebration of the aging process. Not just Dave's, but that of the whole Baby Boom Generation--those millions of us who set a standard for whining self-absorption that will never be equaled, and who gave birth to such stunning accomplishments as Saturday Night Live!, the New Age movement, and call waiting. Here Dave pinpoi...more
Published August 31st 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Turns Fifty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Turns Fifty

1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussCatch-22 by Joseph Heller
Nothing but Numbers
114th out of 756 books — 113 voters
The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert SheaThe Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. HeinleinStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinTime Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein
Literary Libertarians
51st out of 86 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Russell Libonati
It's not his finest work. I remember reading articles by him when I was in college and just laughing out loud. This was more of a chuckle. But I really did love the drive-by down memory lane. I'm not a big history buff, but I really do like to see where things that I know fit into history, like when McDonald's opened or the first time a show appeared on TV, etc. I'd actually like to read more history this way.

The older I get the more I realize just how horrible history was presented in school as...more
Jessica
Includes the brilliant list "25 Things I've Learned in 50 Years", from which I still remember and frequently cite the following:
"#6. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
#13. A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)"
That second one is especially true, and I have often observed its truth in the decade since then. People, take note!
Sue
Oct 24, 2011 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I'm a big fan of Dave Barry -- have been for years -- but I did not think this was his best book. Though, to be fair, I would really give it 2.5 stars if 1/2 points were allowed. It did made me laugh out loud often enough that my husband asked me to read something else since "one of us is trying to get some sleep here."

Basically, I thought the humor in this book was so very specific to Baby Boomers that it would be hard for anyone else to really enjoy it, sort of a "you had to be there" humor bo...more
paul
Chapter 8 - 25 Things I have Learned in 50 Years

1. The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it.

2. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe "Daylight Saving Time."

3. People who feel the need to tell you that they have an excellent sense of humor are telling you that they have no sense of humor.

4. The most valuable function performed by the federal government is entertainment.

5. You should never say anything to...more
Ryk Stanton
I found this book on the Friends of the Library shelf for just twenty-five cents, and I have to say that it was definitely worth the money! I am not sure why exactly Dave Barry is so popular. I mean, the book was okay; it had a few chuckles and a few groans, but overall I wasn't that massively impressed. Maybe part of that is due to the fact that the book was published in 1999; I won't be fifty until 2017. So Dave Barry is eighteen years older than me, and I guess that qualifies him to be in the...more
gary h dicker
I laughed at inappropriate times while reading this in.public

My father is still angry when I burst out laughing when they lowered the casket containing my mom and remembered parts of this book
Marion
Typical Dave Barry - sometimes funny, sometimes annoying, always goofy. Non-boomers probably shouldn't bother.
Janet
I love all of Dave Barry's books, but this is one of my favorites. Perhaps because I was in my 50s when I read it. It's so funny.

For example, in the first chapter, he talks about ordering from menus. He says "At first I thought... that for some reason, possibly to save ink, the restaurants had started printing their menus in letters the height of bacteria." And "So, for a while I dealt with the situation by ordering off the menus of people sitting at other tables."

Maybe this is only hysterical...more
David Nelson
Great. Dave Barry makes getting older something to not fear, but rather, to embrace with a laugh.
Tlnorz
This was a very funny book and a pretty good history lesson to boot. Of course, the poignancy of a book like this is in the eye of the beholder/reader. It is very poignant to someone near the big 5-0 or past the big 5-0. To the younger set, not so affecting.
But, whether your 25 or 50, it's still funny stuff though a tad bit dated, it was written right at the end of the 90's so it still has Bill Clinton and Monica jokes and some references to the upcoming new millennium.
Jodi Sh.
Light. Fluff. Not terribly clever, but fun, Barry recounts the years that brought him to fifty, one at a time with an humorous overview of what was happening in the world at the time. What TV shows, fads, political events, etc. He manages to be serious when called for without really breaking the rhythm. If I never read this my life would not have been less, and it's not worth the weight of carrying around to read on the subway, but over breakfast each morning, why not?
Alissa
This was not his normal laugh out loud writing, so if you're looking for guffaw moments, this is not your book.
However what this book does have is a wonderful look at how Baby Boomers grew up, the challenges they dealt with and a humorous look at fads during these times.
I was looking for the guffaw moments, however I'm glad I read this book. I am a product of the Boomer generation, so this was a great look into what my parents went though in some cases.
Steve Miller
Dave Barry was one of the funniest people in the papers before he retired, and I'm turning 50 in a couple of years. When I saw this book at the bookstore for $2.00, I didn't think twice.

What I didn't realize is that Barry is old enough to be my father, and this book was written a generation ago. The material probably would have made Boomers laugh back in the 90s. I laughed at his comments about going farsighted, but that was about it.
Adrienne
This was great for distracting me from a horrible toothache. He has such a funny take on pop culture. Some of the things that I thought had been around forever have only been invented in the last 50 years! Like what? Go read the book.

Actually, unless you are about 60 years old, a lot of this stuff might just be useles trivia. I mean, who cares what shows were on in the 1950s? Is that all this guy did? Watch TV?
Terry
I bought this book for my brother as a 50th b-day present. I am going to read it first though... he would want me to- really! B&N didn't have Dave Barry Turns 40, so I'll have to read this first.
Ok, not Dave's best, but there were some laugh outloud moments. It would be especially funny if you were born in 1957 or was he born in 47? Anyway, good, easy, funny book to read in between novels.
Deborah Markus
Usually I prefer Barry's columns, but this is a terrific read. It's unexpectedly informative, because he includes some terrific history. I love thinking about how he'd react to hearing that the decade he grew up in is history to me. And guess what? I'm not young. But read this book anyway. It's fun and funny and will make you feel a little better about your inevitable decay.
Joan
I have loved everything he writes. When I planned a "Turning 50" party for my husband and I and another coupld (A Bicentennial party with all of us!) I used excerpts from this book to help folks see what we have lived through. He humorously gives you the advantages of turning 50 and the 50 years of inventions (think Howdy Doody, Oreos, and other nostalgia!!
Jen
This book starts off absolutely hysterical, but once it gets into the year-by-year breakdown the laughs dry up. It's partly my fault, though; I'm too young to remember most of what Barry is reminiscing about. I'm sure it's far more entertaining for boomers, since the book is aimed at their generation.
Megan
Dave Barry is one of the best comedy writers out there, but the content of this book was definitely for a certain audience. I understood the jokes, but not the references. My grandma liked it when I read excerpts to her. It's a great nostalgia read for the Boomer generation.
Dan Kuhs
For those that are half way to 50; this book was the best history lesson you'll ever get. For those that are 50; Dave Barry seems to have a fantastic grip on the fact that he's becoming wiser. I would imagine that he hasn't changed much since this books debut in '98.
MisterFweem
One of the little blurbs in the back says "An average of three or four laughs per page." That may be. I know reviewers are lent to hyperbole. I found fewer laughs than that. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in this week. Pay me no mind. No one else does.
Ratforce
Sep 23, 2011 Ratforce added it
Shelves: humor
Dave Barry is one of America’s bestselling humor columnists. You may want to start with the large print edition of Dave Barry Turns 50, which is a funny look at all the best parts of the aging process.
Butterfly
Funny but a bit more serious and poignant than a lot of his other stuff in places as he reflects on the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War. A fun bit of history even for non-Boomers.
Jan
As well as the usual humor from Dave Barry, this contained a summary of each year from 1950 - mid 1970's. While funny, it was intriguing to see how each year was summed up in a couple of pages.
Don Gorman
Laugh out loud funny. He actually used a couple of the jokes in this book while on tour promoting his new one with Buffalo Bob. OK, you had to read this one to appreciate that line.
Joe
Had me laughing a lot. An historical, humorous look at the 50's, 60's and early 70's as well as some jokes about aging, paying for your kids' college, and saving for retirment.
Dan Leiske
There were some funny parts. I enjoy Dave Barry, however this did not live up to the other stuff of his that I have read.
Suzanne
Funny Dave Barry reviews the 40's to the 70's--it was a trip down Memory Lane, plus some thoughts about growing older.
Dad
Funny guy. This book reminded me of a lot of things (TV shows, products, etc.) from when I was a kid.
Steven Kent
He should have stopped at 40--writing these guides, that is, not aging. May he live to be 200.
  • The Return of the Lone Iguana: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
  • Random Acts of Management
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as...more
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.” 951 likes
“When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. ” 362 likes