Start by marking “Dave Barry's Greatest Hits” as Want to Read:

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,771 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Ships from USA. Will take 25-35 days
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published April 28th 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,368 books — 6,419 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
2,583 books — 3,688 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
Aug 15, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed this and I knew I would even before I read it because I've always been a Dave Barry fan. It was such a short read though, I wished it had been longer and contained more of his greatest hits. It was everything I've come to expect from Dave Barry. He is definitely funny. I love the way his mind works and that he is able to translate on to a page.
Wes Locher
Jan 10, 2010 Wes Locher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of laughing
Shelves: humor, essays
This is one of those timeless humor books that holds up just as well today as it did when it was initially released 15 years ago! Dave Barry's mastery of the written word is at peak performance with this collection of columns. When they stuck the words "GREATEST HITS" on the cover, they were absolutely not lying.

Sure, some of the events and people discussed within these pages may be dated, but if you were alive for those times (or took a history class in school) then you'll still appreciate a fr
Int'l librarian
I don’t read when I’m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, “Some Thoughts on the Toilet,” didn’t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don’t. I’ve probably only read “Some Thoughts…” two or three times. I’ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There’s just so much to learn, such as Dave’s tips for truffle harvesting. “When
Honza Fedak
Jul 10, 2014 Honza Fedak rated it liked it
I just discovered Dave Barry when I saw his latest book You Can Date Boys When You're Forty at a local bookstore. After reading it, I was ready for more.

Greatest Hits is a collection of his newspaper columns. For someone like me, who never read any of them, it presents a nice profile and overview of his newspaper work. The columns are silly, often very funny, and each one if them is an easy read but reading dozens of them is quite a heavy dose; I am now ready to go and read something else.

But
Valerie
Jul 16, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ian will probably read these next. He's already convinced boogers are funny.
J.
Nov 25, 2016 J. rated it it was ok
I used to love reading Dave Barry's columns in the Sunday paper when I was a kid in the 80s. I found this book at a thrift shop recently and got a few chuckles, but the humor didn't age well.
Jack
Nov 03, 2016 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, funny, but forgettable. Some of his classic articles from his column. Some made me laugh out loud, but some are dated. Still, he's very funny.
Dylan
Aug 10, 2010 Dylan rated it really liked it
Often humour books are the last refuge for no-longer-popular comedians and one only has to look at the list of comedic authors to see the number of has-beens and sophomoric satirists. Case in point: a couple weeks back while browsing the humour section at a local bookstore I spotted a grinning, overtly-flabby Jay Mohr plastered on the front of a hardcover. For every “Me Talk Pretty One Day”, one of David Sedaris’s collections of wit-fuelled, self-deprecating essays, there are ten “Dirty Jokes an ...more
Rose Moore
Nov 16, 2015 Rose Moore rated it really liked it
Dave Barry, as always, is utterly hilarious in this collection of some of his best columns from the '80s.

Full disclosure: I adore Dave Barry. I started reading some of his collected columns when I was a kid sampling my Dad's bookshelves, and this is one of my favorites (re-read this month when I picked up a new copy). I will happily admit that being a life-long fan will have some impact on this review. Hopefully not too much, but in the interests of total transparency, it's worth mentioning.

Da
Shawn Sorensen
Jul 24, 2011 Shawn Sorensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
It’s not that John Ritter doesn’t give it a good go on this unabridged audio version of Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits (audio book didn't have correct cover...). While he tries too hard with timing, Ritter still reads at an appropriately accelerated pace and doesn’t commit the cardinal sin of audio book performers - muttering so low that you can’t hear a punch line no matter how much you tax your car's subwoofer.

These chuckle-inducing essays about making beer, poor eyesight or having the flu are no
Corielle
Sep 21, 2015 Corielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned

Dave Barry released this book (which I bought for a quarter at a book fair) in 1988, and it basically contains all of his newspaper articles for the previous several years. Despite the dated politics (it contains a lot of Nixon & Reagan jokes), it holds up surprisingly well, considering it's 27 years old (oh my god that means my little sister is also 27 years old...). A lot of it remains very relevant, overshadowing that which does not (such as a whole chapter on the perils of home telephone
ACS Librarian
I don 19t read when I 19m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, 1CSome Thoughts on the Toilet, 1D didn 19t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don 19t. I 19ve probably only read 1CSome Thoughts 26 1D two or three times. I 19ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There 19s just so much to learn, such as Dave 19s tips for t
Sarah Anne Carter
Aug 30, 2016 Sarah Anne Carter rated it really liked it
“Once again we find ourselves enmeshed in the Holiday Season, that very special time of year when we join our loved ones in sharing centuries-old traditions such as trying to find a parking space at the mall.”

Dave Barry is a funny man. His work is classic and it deals mostly with human nature. Published in 1989, Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits is a compilation of his columns published so far. It’s nice to read about a time before the Internet and cell phones were commonplace, though. Human nature is
Stacy
Jul 14, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous
There are two main problems with reading this book in the bathroom.

1) It will take you a really, really long time to finish it, unless you are prone to frequent gastrointestinal difficulties.

2) You must make sure that no one is within hearing distance who might feel uncomfortable upon hearing chuckles, guffaws, even hee-haw laughter emitted from the bathroom. This could be embarrassing for both you and them and should be avoided.

Dave Barry- what a guy. Funny in the 80's, funny-if a little dated-
Brett
Apr 26, 2008 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, humor
I read my first Dave Barry column back when I was probaby 13 or 14. I still remember that it contained some bit about how snakes were learning to move from toilet to toilet, which I thought was absolutely hilarious. As a middle and high schooler, I read quite a few of his books and generally enjoyed most of them a lot. Now that I'm somewhat older, I don't think Barry is quite the genius I used to, but I still find him surprising enough that I don't mind picking up one of his books once in a whil ...more
Tony
Feb 08, 2017 Tony rated it really liked it
Vintage Barry
Halla
Apr 13, 2010 Halla rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term-read
304 pgs, comedy.

This book is a whole bunch of humorous articles Dave Barry wrote for a newspaper, all assembled into a book.

A little dated, and some of the humour is hard to comprehend, but some of the lines, I have to admit are funny. I find this book slightly flaky; in some parts I'm laughing out loud, and in some parts, I just want to flip ahead and not read it. It's not very consistent that way.

For the funny articles, I would give them a 9. For the non-funny ones (because it's hard to find
Lisa
Sep 14, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
I used to love reading Dave Barry's column in the newspaper, but the book form was perhaps too heavy a dose. Some of the essays (especially about his family) were quite funny, but a good bulk of the others just felt repetitive. This would probably be a good book to pick up every now & again for a little chuckle... rather than reading it like a novel, as I did. Also, future readers should be warned that this was written in the late 80's. So be prepared for lots of Reagan jokes, and references ...more
Kickstand447
Aug 02, 2012 Kickstand447 is currently reading it
(This is the first Kindle book I've downloaded from my Library (and it probably won't be the last.) I love that I can read it on my TouchPad, my Android phone, and on my PC. So convenient.)

Re the book: I love Dave Barry & always look forward to his annual Year in Review in the Washington Post Magazine. This collection of short essays doesn't disappoint. I'm only about 1/4 through, and already there are a couple of stories he tells that are super-funny. I'm resisting saying side-splitting; bu
Kara
Mar 24, 2009 Kara rated it liked it
I devoured Dave Barry books when I was a preteen...I checked them all out of the Des Plaines Public Library and would go to the Mount Prospect Public Library for more. I love Barry's everyman style and funny turn of phrase. Some find his humor cheap, and it certainly is repetitive, but he pretty much introduced me to humor writing, and obviously many other readers love him; he was quite prolific at one point. I feel nostalgic about his books and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have developed the ...more
Dale
Feb 25, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Version a real treat

Read by John Ritter
Duration: 2 hours, 33 minutes

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits was read by John Ritter who was one of the few people who could actually read Dave Barry correctly - he put the emphasis in the right places and pauses to make the jokes work perfectly.

On to the material -

Pulled from Barry's earlier material in the early 1990s, it was a bit up and down, but mostly up..

Read more at: http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2011/...
Susan
Jul 25, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious and even though it came out 21 years ago it is still so funny as history repeats itself. Didn't some of those comments about Reagan apply just as well to Bush? I thought the story about New York was the best and still current (cab drivers who don't speak English,the subway,"spare change"). I also remember some of those politicians involved in scandals, eg Gary Hart and it continues today. If you've ever traveled in Europe and esp Wales you can relate to 'Europe on 5 Vowels ...more
Carmen
Feb 29, 2012 Carmen rated it it was amazing
I keep this book in my car and take it with me for those unanticipated stops one makes in urban life--Jamba Juice, Rubio's, you know, little bits of time with short periods of sitting and snarfing. Comprised of short essays from his column, I can read (or re-read!) an essay or two before I finish my fish taco. I eat carefully, though, because inevitably, I guffaw, and if I guffaw with food in my mouth, I could die laughing.
Danarae
Aug 29, 2009 Danarae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My "desert island" book. If I could only pick one book to take, this would be it. Classic Dave Barry, released in 1988 I think. Absolutely hilarious columns about his son Robby, TV specials about sharks, and how *not* to get press coverage (hint: by issuing a press release, which journalists will immediately throw into the trash.) My copy is so old it has puppy teeth marks from our dog Ginger, who we first got in '90, I think. LOVE this book.
Benjamin
Feb 01, 2011 Benjamin rated it liked it
Funny story, while I was reading this, I didn't realize until the last few columns that the book was published in 1989. I did think it was odd that there were so many references to Lee Iacoca and Ronald Reagan, but hey.

Shortly after I finally turned to the copyright page, I continued reading and found a reference to Joe Biden, in which the author said, "who is actually an old Swedish woman."

That's right, Joe Biden was old as hell even back in 1989.
Tommy
Jul 11, 2008 Tommy rated it liked it
I guess you could say I went through a Dave Barry 'phase' about ten years ago. His humor quickly became predictable and felt too 'safe', that same vanilla attempt to please all with his jokes that watered down the once-funny Jay Leno when he took over Johnny's gig.

That said, Barry is funny, and this collection is the cream of his formidable crop. He's at his best when he relaxes into a subject and goes for satirical barbs over rim shots.
Carrie
Oct 13, 2008 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
This book was moderately funny - not his best. Dave Barry's Guide to Guys is my favorite by him. Anyway, this one was written in the late 80s, and I just don't know much about politics and stuff from that time. The book focused on beer, Reagan, Russia...not stuff that I identify with. :) I'm sure it was funny then.
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 Sarai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
This is a collection of artciles by humor columnist Dave Barry, writer for the Miami Herald. Some may be a bit dated for current readers, as they refer to events that were happening at the time, but the writing is laugh-out-loud funny. I like to re-read selected articles from time to time to give myself a lift. :)
Katherine VanderSluis
Definitely my favorite compilation of his essays so far. So many belly laughs! Hubby & I read this aloud on a car trip, and sometimes had to stop for the laughing tears to clear before getting back on the road. Essays are taken from the 80's, and much of the material likely woud be lost on someone too young to remember the news/events of that time.
Lucy
May 29, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual Dave Barry silliness (though apparently they only have Earnest, the large main backup dog, and not yet Zippy, the small emergency backup dog) with a review of 1987 containing a fair amount of real facts. Twenty-something years on, it's interesting to look back and think that I was really too young to appreciate the sheer ludicrosity of the '80s when they happened.
Dave Barry 2 15 Mar 18, 2013 01:16AM
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • Poems and Sketches of E. B. White
  • More of the Straight Dope
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

“2. The instant the doors open, you want to push forward as hard as possible, in an effort to get onto the train without letting anybody off. This is very important. If anybody does get off, it is legal to tackle him and drag him back on.” 10 likes
“Think, for a moment, of the countless happy childhood hours you spent with this amazing device: Drawing perfect horizontals, drawing perfect verticals, drawing really spastic diagonals, trying to scrape away the silver powder from the window so you could look inside.” 7 likes