Start by marking “Dave Barry's Greatest Hits” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,192 ratings  ·  100 reviews
WHEN DAVE BARRY IS ON THE LOOSE, NO ONE IS SAFE!

What Dave Barry did for the men's movement in his Complete Guide to Guys and for foreign relations when he did Japan he now does for . . . everything in America. The rapacious observer of Tupperware ladies and leisure concept salesmen sounds off on:

Football--Football is more than just a game. It is a potential opportunity to...more
Published April 28th 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry's Greatest Hits

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Best Humorous Books
114th out of 2,473 books — 4,789 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
250th out of 2,149 books — 3,120 voters

More lists with this book...

Weston Locher
Jan 19, 2010 Weston Locher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of laughing
Shelves: humor, essays
This is one of those timeless humor books that holds up just as well today as it did when it was initially released 15 years ago! Dave Barry's mastery of the written word is at peak performance with this collection of columns. When they stuck the words "GREATEST HITS" on the cover, they were absolutely not lying.

Sure, some of the events and people discussed within these pages may be dated, but if you were alive for those times (or took a history class in school) then you'll still appreciate a fr...more
Stevecrandell
I don’t read when I’m in the bathroom. But if I did, Dave Barry would provide most of the material. His work pretty much screams bathroom. As if the essay title, “Some Thoughts on the Toilet,” didn’t make that clear enough for his billions of readers.

Not that I like bathroom humor. I don’t. I’ve probably only read “Some Thoughts…” two or three times. I’ve read a few of the other essays in here a couple dozen times. There’s just so much to learn, such as Dave’s tips for truffle harvesting. “When...more
Valerie
Ian will probably read these next. He's already convinced boogers are funny.
Dylan
Often humour books are the last refuge for no-longer-popular comedians and one only has to look at the list of comedic authors to see the number of has-beens and sophomoric satirists. Case in point: a couple weeks back while browsing the humour section at a local bookstore I spotted a grinning, overtly-flabby Jay Mohr plastered on the front of a hardcover. For every “Me Talk Pretty One Day”, one of David Sedaris’s collections of wit-fuelled, self-deprecating essays, there are ten “Dirty Jokes an...more
Shawn Sorensen
It’s not that John Ritter doesn’t give it a good go on this unabridged audio version of Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits (audio book didn't have correct cover...). While he tries too hard with timing, Ritter still reads at an appropriately accelerated pace and doesn’t commit the cardinal sin of audio book performers - muttering so low that you can’t hear a punch line no matter how much you tax your car's subwoofer.

These chuckle-inducing essays about making beer, poor eyesight or having the flu are no...more
Honza Fedak
I just discovered Dave Barry when I saw his latest book You Can Date Boys When You're Forty at a local bookstore. After reading it, I was ready for more.

Greatest Hits is a collection of his newspaper columns. For someone like me, who never read any of them, it presents a nice profile and overview of his newspaper work. The columns are silly, often very funny, and each one if them is an easy read but reading dozens of them is quite a heavy dose; I am now ready to go and read something else.

But...more
Stacy
There are two main problems with reading this book in the bathroom.

1) It will take you a really, really long time to finish it, unless you are prone to frequent gastrointestinal difficulties.

2) You must make sure that no one is within hearing distance who might feel uncomfortable upon hearing chuckles, guffaws, even hee-haw laughter emitted from the bathroom. This could be embarrassing for both you and them and should be avoided.

Dave Barry- what a guy. Funny in the 80's, funny-if a little dated-...more
Brett
I read my first Dave Barry column back when I was probaby 13 or 14. I still remember that it contained some bit about how snakes were learning to move from toilet to toilet, which I thought was absolutely hilarious. As a middle and high schooler, I read quite a few of his books and generally enjoyed most of them a lot. Now that I'm somewhat older, I don't think Barry is quite the genius I used to, but I still find him surprising enough that I don't mind picking up one of his books once in a whil...more
Cathi
I've read a ton of Dave Barry books, and I used to read his syndicated newspaper column faithfully. In fact, I'm still sad that he no longer writes a newspaper column. :( This book is a collection of great columns from the mid-and late-1980s. It's witty, funny, silly, and typical Dave Barry. It was just what I needed this week!
Halla
304 pgs, comedy.

This book is a whole bunch of humorous articles Dave Barry wrote for a newspaper, all assembled into a book.

A little dated, and some of the humour is hard to comprehend, but some of the lines, I have to admit are funny. I find this book slightly flaky; in some parts I'm laughing out loud, and in some parts, I just want to flip ahead and not read it. It's not very consistent that way.

For the funny articles, I would give them a 9. For the non-funny ones (because it's hard to find...more
Susan
This book is hilarious and even though it came out 21 years ago it is still so funny as history repeats itself. Didn't some of those comments about Reagan apply just as well to Bush? I thought the story about New York was the best and still current (cab drivers who don't speak English,the subway,"spare change"). I also remember some of those politicians involved in scandals, eg Gary Hart and it continues today. If you've ever traveled in Europe and esp Wales you can relate to 'Europe on 5 Vowels...more
Kickstand447
Aug 02, 2012 Kickstand447 is currently reading it
(This is the first Kindle book I've downloaded from my Library (and it probably won't be the last.) I love that I can read it on my TouchPad, my Android phone, and on my PC. So convenient.)

Re the book: I love Dave Barry & always look forward to his annual Year in Review in the Washington Post Magazine. This collection of short essays doesn't disappoint. I'm only about 1/4 through, and already there are a couple of stories he tells that are super-funny. I'm resisting saying side-splitting; bu...more
Lisa
I used to love reading Dave Barry's column in the newspaper, but the book form was perhaps too heavy a dose. Some of the essays (especially about his family) were quite funny, but a good bulk of the others just felt repetitive. This would probably be a good book to pick up every now & again for a little chuckle... rather than reading it like a novel, as I did. Also, future readers should be warned that this was written in the late 80's. So be prepared for lots of Reagan jokes, and references...more
Kendra
Only one thing to say...hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Dale
Audio Version a real treat

Read by John Ritter
Duration: 2 hours, 33 minutes

Dave Barry's Greatest Hits was read by John Ritter who was one of the few people who could actually read Dave Barry correctly - he put the emphasis in the right places and pauses to make the jokes work perfectly.

On to the material -

Pulled from Barry's earlier material in the early 1990s, it was a bit up and down, but mostly up..

Read more at: http://dwdsreviews.blogspot.com/2011/...
Kara
I devoured Dave Barry books when I was a preteen...I checked them all out of the Des Plaines Public Library and would go to the Mount Prospect Public Library for more. I love Barry's everyman style and funny turn of phrase. Some find his humor cheap, and it certainly is repetitive, but he pretty much introduced me to humor writing, and obviously many other readers love him; he was quite prolific at one point. I feel nostalgic about his books and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have developed the...more
Amy
The best of the best!
Joan
Dave Barry is still funny.
Benjamin
Funny story, while I was reading this, I didn't realize until the last few columns that the book was published in 1989. I did think it was odd that there were so many references to Lee Iacoca and Ronald Reagan, but hey.

Shortly after I finally turned to the copyright page, I continued reading and found a reference to Joe Biden, in which the author said, "who is actually an old Swedish woman."

That's right, Joe Biden was old as hell even back in 1989.
Danarae
My "desert island" book. If I could only pick one book to take, this would be it. Classic Dave Barry, released in 1988 I think. Absolutely hilarious columns about his son Robby, TV specials about sharks, and how *not* to get press coverage (hint: by issuing a press release, which journalists will immediately throw into the trash.) My copy is so old it has puppy teeth marks from our dog Ginger, who we first got in '90, I think. LOVE this book.
Tommy
I guess you could say I went through a Dave Barry 'phase' about ten years ago. His humor quickly became predictable and felt too 'safe', that same vanilla attempt to please all with his jokes that watered down the once-funny Jay Leno when he took over Johnny's gig.

That said, Barry is funny, and this collection is the cream of his formidable crop. He's at his best when he relaxes into a subject and goes for satirical barbs over rim shots.
Carmen
I keep this book in my car and take it with me for those unanticipated stops one makes in urban life--Jamba Juice, Rubio's, you know, little bits of time with short periods of sitting and snarfing. Comprised of short essays from his column, I can read (or re-read!) an essay or two before I finish my fish taco. I eat carefully, though, because inevitably, I guffaw, and if I guffaw with food in my mouth, I could die laughing.
Lucy
The usual Dave Barry silliness (though apparently they only have Earnest, the large main backup dog, and not yet Zippy, the small emergency backup dog) with a review of 1987 containing a fair amount of real facts. Twenty-something years on, it's interesting to look back and think that I was really too young to appreciate the sheer ludicrosity of the '80s when they happened.
Kathy
Dave Barry can make me laugh out loud in the middle of very quiet places and he can also make me cry. He writes about embarrassing things in a way that makes me say, "Yes! That's exactly how it feels!" His story about his dog ("Yay!!") is a crack-up. And when he writes about visiting his dying father, well, I can hardly see the book for tears.
Carrie
This book was moderately funny - not his best. Dave Barry's Guide to Guys is my favorite by him. Anyway, this one was written in the late 80s, and I just don't know much about politics and stuff from that time. The book focused on beer, Reagan, Russia...not stuff that I identify with. :) I'm sure it was funny then.
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 Sarai rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
This is a collection of artciles by humor columnist Dave Barry, writer for the Miami Herald. Some may be a bit dated for current readers, as they refer to events that were happening at the time, but the writing is laugh-out-loud funny. I like to re-read selected articles from time to time to give myself a lift. :)
Alison
This is a 1988 collection of Barry's columns, which shows in all his talk about Reagan as president! I like Barry, so I enjoyed listening to this hour-long book while I tried to stay awake (we left home at 6am!). Bonus points for having John Ritter as a narrator.
Whitney
It definitely made me laugh, but I think I was too young when some of these things happened, so I didn't appreciate it as much as I would have with something more recent. It is, of course, Dave Barry though, so I loved reading it and laughed out loud often.
Duane
Dave Barry does a great job of making me laugh out loud no matter where I might be reading this book. His quick wit and simple use of words, makes anything he writes a complete joy to read. I just wish I had a fraction of the wit he enjoys. I love this book.
Susan
I enjoyed the part that I read. In fact, I laughed out loud at some of the early essays. Then I ran out of steam on reading it and stopped reading. Not really a book to read straight through. More a book to pick up and read bits of here and there.
Dave Barry 2 15 Mar 18, 2013 01:16AM
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Dilbert Gives You the Business
  • The Get Fuzzy Experience: Are You Bucksperienced
  • Deep Thoughts
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Say Hello to Cactus Flats: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as...more
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“2. The instant the doors open, you want to push forward as hard as possible, in an effort to get onto the train without letting anybody off. This is very important. If anybody does get off, it is legal to tackle him and drag him back on.” 9 likes
“Think, for a moment, of the countless happy childhood hours you spent with this amazing device: Drawing perfect horizontals, drawing perfect verticals, drawing really spastic diagonals, trying to scrape away the silver powder from the window so you could look inside.” 5 likes