Lysis

Lysis

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ah, Hippothales, I said; what a noble and really perfect love you have found I wish that you would favour me with the exhibition which you have been making to the rest of the company, and then I shall be able to judge whether you know what a lover ought to say about his love, either to the youth himself, or to others.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published January 1st 1979)

Manny
May 21, 2014 Manny rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Very confused people
The Trial of Socrates and Rolf Harris (part 1)

[A courtroom at The Hague. SOCRATES, ROLF HARRIS, various COUNSELS and COURT FUNCTIONARIES, JOURNALISTS and members of the PUBLIC]

COURT USHER: The case of Zeus versus Socrates and Rolf Harris, Lord Justice Cocklecarrot presiding, all rise, all rise.

COCKLECARROT: Please be seated. Socrates and Rolf Harris, you stand accused of corrupting the youth of Athens and Perth. How do you plead?

SOCRATES: Guilty.

HARRIS: Not guilty.

[Murmurs from the public galler...more
Greg
And I would rather have a good friend than the best cock

Lysis is the Plato dialogue on Friendship.

After a preliminary discussion with Lysis about his parents and the things he is and not premitted to do, Menexenus enters into the dialogue and the focus shifts to friendship.

Socrates says, "I should greatly prefer a real friend to all the gold of Darius, or even to Darius himself: I am such a lover of friends as that. And when I see you and Lysis, at your early age, so easily possessed of his tr...more
Viji (Bookish endeavors)
Well.. It was a perfect lesson on how to keep on talking for an hour and mean absolutely nothing at all. I do not understand the need to confuse things when it could've been done the easy way. It seems like Socrates is talking like the sophists,simply creating confusion without intending to reach any conclusion. I wouldn't recommend this dialogue to people who don't have enough patience.
Jackson Cyril
Socrates meets two boys that are friends and proceeds to delve into what it means to be a friend or more specifically what one means by friendship. He proposes a few theories regarding this and tears them all down after finding paradoxes within them. Ultimately he leaves them with the comment that 'bystanders will imagine ourselves to be friends, and as yet we have not been able to discover what is a friend!" It's a confusing dialogue to follow at times, but there are some really interesting tid...more
Johnny
The arguments didn't seemed more scholastic than insightful, and Socrates does not pretend to have reached any conclusion. But, there is something touching about this group of friends hanging out one night like nerdy kids who don't want to party, comfortably in their friendship, but unable to say what friendship is.
Max
This was actually pretty difficult to follow because of all the ideas they bring up and agree with before Socrates quickly tears them down. They never reach an actual conclusion on friendship either; they just understand that they are friends.
Sidharth Vardhan
Please do not waste your time reading this. Read a book or watch an episode of Dr. Who or sleep - Just don't read this. Life is too short for nonsense like that.
Plato talks on and on - about good, bad, neutral, friend, like, bad, good, friend, opposite, friend.... always rejecting his own conclusions while his audience 'yes-boss' him.
Totally absurd and inconclusive - specially considering the fact that it can from one of best philosophers of all time. Just how can these people be so ignorant,...more
Jane
It's short at least. Very similar to The Symposium.
Amy
I can't be the only one who giggled through this.
§--
Apr 29, 2010 §-- rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, especially the teenage
Shelves: philosophy, greeks
Everyone should read this. The question is, what is friendship? What is erotic love? What is the purpose of friendship? Is it an illusion? It's a shame philosophers no longer talk about things like friendship. Everyone should ask themselves these questions. Plato doesn't answer them--much like other dialogues, it ends with no one satisfied and no conclusion reached--but you will be more alive for having asked.

Some solid advice in here: "Most assuredly, I said, those [love:]songs are all in your...more
Forsythe
Socrates engages the youths of his day, the beautiful, beautiful youths. First, he questions Lysis. Your parents love you? Yes, Socrates, they do. And yet they restrict you? Oh, yes! And place you beneath (in terms of certain freedoms) and under the control of nothing more or less than slaves? Hmm. Lysis takes his interrogation beautifully, as the beautiful youth that he is, and Socrates moves on to Menexenus. What is friendship? For friendship to exist, must the love of which it consists be equ...more
Fred Fanning
I am a big fan of Plato. This is a great dialogue with a lesson for us to learn.
Cristina
Muy profundo y bueno para reflexionar sobre el tema de la amistad.
Garrett Cash
This is really just ludicrously difficult and tedious.
Sarvin
Sarvin added it
May 18, 2014
Thompson
In this dialogue, Plato uses the voice of Socrates once again. Here the discussion on " friendship." Socrates, through question and answer ("Socratic method") tries to demonstrate that we know what friendship is because we remember having once beheld "friendship" in its true Form. This is typical of Plato's dialogues. There is q and a to show that we know what something is (love, justice, friendship and the like) because we remember it. The q and a format is used to help us "remember" the Form w...more
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
FALSE
i!
A blazing, headspinning dive into aporia. The Good, The Bad, and That Which is In Between, as applied to friendship, at least overtly—but what really seems to be at the core of the matter is the apprehension of the paradox activated when you start talking about objective measures of good and bad, and friendship as an object instead of a process.
Adri
Kembali berpikir bersama dengan metode dilektika untuk menemukan makna akan persahabatan. Sebuah bacaan yang sebaiknya dibaca mereka yang ingin memahami lebih mengenai arti kata sahabat itu sendiri dan mengapa kita bersahabat.
Hireka Eric
Mengejutkan!! Persahabatan yang ideal menurut Platon tidak berakhir semata pada hubungan dua-arah antarsesama sahabat, melainkan SEGITIGA! Segitiga apakah yang dimaksud? Baca saja sendiri :-P.... hehehe
Lillian
Socrates so annoying sometimes.
This dialogue is convoluted to the point that its difficult to follow. Still, it's Plato and like everything he writes, I'm sure it's brilliant!
Neng Hannah
Buku yang akan dijelaskan Romo kamis depan...di bandung cari dimana ya? Buku terbaru "Arete: Hidup Sukses Menurut Palton" belum ada di goodreads.
Tamsyn
The commentary book I'm reading with these dialogues called this one "obscure and rambling". Yup.
Marts  (Thinker)
Socratic discourse on friendship...
Bruce L.
Bruce L. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Mert D.  A.
Mert D. A. is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
  • The Categories
  • The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates
  • Monadology
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • Ion
  • The Advancement Of Learning
  • The Suppliants
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • On Friendship
  • Natural Right and History
  • Hippocratic Writings
  • The Principles of Psychology
  • Summa Theologica, 5 Vols
  • Philosophical Dictionary
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most important Western philosophers,...more
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo