Start by marking “Lysis” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  360 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Ah, Hippothales, I said; what a noble and really perfect love you have found I wish that you would favour me with the exhibition which you have been making to the rest of the company, and then I shall be able to judge whether you know what a lover ought to say about his love, either to the youth himself, or to others.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published -380)

To ask other readers questions about Lysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lysis

May 21, 2014 Manny rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Very confused people
The Trial of Socrates and Rolf Harris (part 1)

[A courtroom at The Hague. SOCRATES, ROLF HARRIS, various COUNSELS and COURT FUNCTIONARIES, JOURNALISTS and members of the PUBLIC]

COURT USHER: The case of Zeus versus Socrates and Rolf Harris, Lord Justice Cocklecarrot presiding, all rise, all rise.

COCKLECARROT: Please be seated. Socrates and Rolf Harris, you stand accused of corrupting the youth of Athens and Perth. How do you plead?

HARRIS: Not guilty.

[Murmurs from the public galler
And I would rather have a good friend than the best cock

Lysis is the Plato dialogue on Friendship.

After a preliminary discussion with Lysis about his parents and the things he is and not premitted to do, Menexenus enters into the dialogue and the focus shifts to friendship.

Socrates says, "I should greatly prefer a real friend to all the gold of Darius, or even to Darius himself: I am such a lover of friends as that. And when I see you and Lysis, at your early age, so easily possessed of his tr
Melika Khoshnezhad
من تازه شروع كردم به خوندن محاورات افلاطون و نمي دونم همه شون اينجوري هستن يا نه ولي خيلي هيجان شون بالاست واغلب گيج كننده ان، جوري كه وقتي داري ميخوني چند بار بايد هي برگردي صفحه هاي قبل و حتا ترتيب استدلال رو بنويسي تا درست بفهمي جريان مكالماتشون به كدوم سمت داره ميره. اين محاوره درباره ي دوستي بود و از اون محاوراتي بود كه به نتيجه هم نمي رسه ولي فكر و خيلي درگير ميكنه.
Plato offers a very clinical and detached view on "Friendship". There is a utilitarian view on this subject and Socrates subtly implies he prefers having a good friend over love.

Lysis seems like an easy read but isn't so as Reason plays alongside the dialogues on necessary of others in our lives. Great primer to Plato's dialogues.

People walk around calling everyone there best friend. The term doesn't have any real meaning anymore. Mere acquaintances are lavished with hugs and kisses upon a sec
Great and readable primer on the Lysis. I'd definitely recommend it as a first read to get one's bearing on the actual dialogue. It doesn't bog the reader down with all of the interpretive disputes about the dialogue. It is a straight read. If the reader is interested in disputes, the final chapter will point them to the greater issues at stake in interpretation.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Well.. It was a perfect lesson on how to keep on talking for an hour and mean absolutely nothing at all. I do not understand the need to confuse things when it could've been done the easy way. It seems like Socrates is talking like the sophists,simply creating confusion without intending to reach any conclusion. I wouldn't recommend this dialogue to people who don't have enough patience.
Read this in relation to some background research for a chapter in my thesis. I am totally unfamiliar with Plato's work, though I am generally familiar with his ideas on a second-hand basis. This was a good work on friendship, which had broader definitions than our modern concept. I like how his philosophy, this work in particular, takes the form of a short story: it makes the ideas a lot easier to digest, although this was a tough one with rather complex arguments. And, after all that, it came ...more
Jackson Cyril
Socrates meets two boys that are friends and proceeds to delve into what it means to be a friend or more specifically what one means by friendship. He proposes a few theories regarding this and tears them all down after finding paradoxes within them. Ultimately he leaves them with the comment that 'bystanders will imagine ourselves to be friends, and as yet we have not been able to discover what is a friend!" It's a confusing dialogue to follow at times, but there are some really interesting tid ...more
The arguments didn't seemed more scholastic than insightful, and Socrates does not pretend to have reached any conclusion. But, there is something touching about this group of friends hanging out one night like nerdy kids who don't want to party, comfortably in their friendship, but unable to say what friendship is.
Bob Nichols
I don’t know what the point of this dialogue is. To guess a bit, and consistent with other Platonic dialogues, Socrates’ intention is to instruct Hippothales on how to court his beloved Lysis. Socrates advises that Lysis must be humbled, taught that he doesn’t know that much, and thereby to inspire a hunger to learn and to develop an admiration for his teacher (the older lover’s role is to instruct the younger beloved) in that way. That type of learning, though, is only a step on the way to a hi ...more
This was actually pretty difficult to follow because of all the ideas they bring up and agree with before Socrates quickly tears them down. They never reach an actual conclusion on friendship either; they just understand that they are friends.
Sidharth Vardhan
Please do not waste your time reading this. Read a book or watch an episode of Dr. Who or sleep - Just don't read this. Life is too short for nonsense like that.
Plato talks on and on - about good, bad, neutral, friend, like, bad, good, friend, opposite, friend.... always rejecting his own conclusions while his audience 'yes-boss' him.
Totally absurd and inconclusive - specially considering the fact that it can from one of best philosophers of all time. Just how can these people be so ignorant,
It's short at least. Very similar to The Symposium.
I can't be the only one who giggled through this.
Temeika  Beasley - Spruiells
Before reading most should be warned about the origins of the conversation which begins as Hippothales expresses a desire in a young boy, Lysis. For those familiar with this time period it is understood that pederasty was a common practice in Greece. (I do not advocate or condone this practice during anytime period.) Hippothales's advances had gone somewhat unnoticed, Socrates believed he had been too generous, which resulted in Lysis absorbing the comments as ego inflators . Socrates, offers H ...more
Apr 29, 2010 §-- rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, especially the teenage
Shelves: philosophy, greeks
Everyone should read this. The question is, what is friendship? What is erotic love? What is the purpose of friendship? Is it an illusion? It's a shame philosophers no longer talk about things like friendship. Everyone should ask themselves these questions. Plato doesn't answer them--much like other dialogues, it ends with no one satisfied and no conclusion reached--but you will be more alive for having asked.

Some solid advice in here: "Most assuredly, I said, those [love:]songs are all in your
Socrates engages the youths of his day, the beautiful, beautiful youths. First, he questions Lysis. Your parents love you? Yes, Socrates, they do. And yet they restrict you? Oh, yes! And place you beneath (in terms of certain freedoms) and under the control of nothing more or less than slaves? Hmm. Lysis takes his interrogation beautifully, as the beautiful youth that he is, and Socrates moves on to Menexenus. What is friendship? For friendship to exist, must the love of which it consists be equ ...more
Lee Walker
Lysis, or Friendship, by Plato. Another one of those Socrates debates where he chats with pals about a topic, spends a while trying to define it, but can't ever seem to arrive at a definition. Socrates asks who is the true friend, the admirer or the admired? And much more sophistry ensues, until we're left believing friends are enemies and all sorts of other impossible gibberish. Quite fun.
This is a tricky dialogue. You think it is about one thing -- they only talk about one thing -- but it's really about something else. And when you get to the end, you think back, and you're like "Dadgum. This is why people are still reading this stuff 2300 years later."

I highly recommend it, especially if you or someone you know is or was a student.
Sep 18, 2015 Colum added it
Shelves: philosophy
One of the more headache-inducing Socratic dialogues that I've read. Concerning friendship, love, and good and evil, with Socrates doing most of the talking. Really convoluted and hard to follow half the time. At one point Socrates alludes to evil being necessary for good to exist, as was believed by some Oriental philosophers that he wouldn't have been aware of, but he quickly refutes himself in that too. Ends on an amusing note from Socrates:- "O Menexenus and Lysis, how ridiculous that you tw ...more
Muy profundo y bueno para reflexionar sobre el tema de la amistad.
Garrett Cash
This is really just ludicrously difficult and tedious.
In this dialogue, Plato uses the voice of Socrates once again. Here the discussion on " friendship." Socrates, through question and answer ("Socratic method") tries to demonstrate that we know what friendship is because we remember having once beheld "friendship" in its true Form. This is typical of Plato's dialogues. There is q and a to show that we know what something is (love, justice, friendship and the like) because we remember it. The q and a format is used to help us "remember" the Form w ...more
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A blazing, headspinning dive into aporia. The Good, The Bad, and That Which is In Between, as applied to friendship, at least overtly—but what really seems to be at the core of the matter is the apprehension of the paradox activated when you start talking about objective measures of good and bad, and friendship as an object instead of a process.
Kembali berpikir bersama dengan metode dilektika untuk menemukan makna akan persahabatan. Sebuah bacaan yang sebaiknya dibaca mereka yang ingin memahami lebih mengenai arti kata sahabat itu sendiri dan mengapa kita bersahabat.
Socrates so annoying sometimes.
This dialogue is convoluted to the point that its difficult to follow. Still, it's Plato and like everything he writes, I'm sure it's brilliant!
Neng Hannah
Buku yang akan dijelaskan Romo kamis depan...di bandung cari dimana ya? Buku terbaru "Arete: Hidup Sukses Menurut Palton" belum ada di goodreads.
The commentary book I'm reading with these dialogues called this one "obscure and rambling". Yup.
Marts  (Thinker)
Socratic discourse on friendship...
  • The Categories
  • Letter to Menoeceus
  • Alfarabi's Philosophy of Plato and Aristotle
  • Four Texts on Socrates: Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Aristophanes' Clouds
  • Women of Trachis
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...