Start by marking “High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2” as Want to Read:
High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2

High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2

In this pioneering anthology, Clint Willis presents 75 years of great writing -- from Neil O'Dell to Jon Krakauer -- on the fabled peaks. Here are stories of two British expeditions to Everest in the 1920s; a piece on the 1939 K2 attempt that claimed four climbers' lives; a firsthand account by the Sherpa who reached the summit of Everest in 1953 with Edmund Hillary; the ...more
Published December 23rd 1998 by Da Capo Press (first published December 22nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High

Nigel
Jun 15, 2016 Nigel rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable for anyone with a climbing bent reading wise. These are a good collection of stories about K2 and Everest over a number of eras. I found some of the earlier stories particularly interesting. In particular F S Smythe narrative of his climb on the 1933 Everest expedition was remarkable - the level of climbing with primitive equipment on an almost completely unknown route was very impressive. The other chapter I found really interesting was the one on the Wiessner controversy ...more
Wendylou Biggs
don't bother ... it's excerpts from other writings ... assemebled together in aparently random order ... and some of the excerpts just jump in (not so bad) but then jump back out at a point that leaves you hanging (or thinking maybe you fell asleep so you rewind and listen again ... but no ... his partner has fallen behind, may be dead in the snow bank, and he is fairly close to the summit because the tibetan prayer flags give him a sense of scale ... end of excerpt ... )
Ob-jonny
Mar 26, 2015 Ob-jonny rated it really liked it
Fascinating selection of short stories about historical climbs of Everest and K2. The stories were written by the climbers themselves and so you get an honest, first person perspective which makes it especially powerful. The reader knows what each climber was thinking about at the time and the painful decisions that had to be made. I had never read stories about early attempts on either mountain before it had been first summitted and I thought it was so interesting. I'm used to reading books ...more
Suman
Sep 02, 2012 Suman rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to "High" while enduring the monotonous training for my Mt. Rainier climb. "High" is not so much a book as selections from different mountaineering books and articles. One of stories I had read before in "K2: the Savage Mountain", and another one, about the Fritz Wiessner's 1939 K2 effort, was familiar since Dave Roberts, who wrote the article for this work, retold the story with Ed Viesturs in "K2: Life and Death on the World's Second Highest Mountain". The other five stories were ...more
Monique
Feb 12, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
Sixteen stories of survival from Everest and K2. Quite incredible stories. The thing that kept going through my mind was "why would anyone do this?" There are many accounts of people dying, being victims of altitude sickness, falling off the mountain,and yet the rest of the team just go on...most times helpless to do anything other. One account tells how wonderful it was to have a ciggarrette at one of the camps! What??? Who smokes and does alpine climbing? They sacrifice all just to try to ...more
ej cullen
Feb 19, 2011 ej cullen rated it liked it
None of the stories included gives you the whole story, leaving you asking for more info. Maybe that was the editor's point, but frustrating nonetheless, as you're, in effect, directed to read a dozen other books to find out. Great true, adventurous semi-stories nonetheless if the dangers of losing your mind and literally freezing your fingers and toes off way above the rest of the world is your bag, so to speak. (Does one still have a 'bag' these days?
Kris
Apr 13, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it
I like this kind of adventure story. And I've recently discovered how much I like anthologies from B.'s post-apocalyptic phase. Nice kind of adventure where I'm never going to try it either--doesn't make me quite as nervous. One bad thing though: many were excerpts from other books, which I'm not necessarily going to read, and they didn't tell me how it "ended"!! I mean, did they die or not? Please just add a note at the end to sum up the rest of the trip!
Aug 13, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
This is one of the books that my husband brought home and I stole. I have been notorious for this lately. The book was a collection of stories, or I should say, excerpts of stories. I didn't like the excerpt idea....just as you're getting into a story of ascent or disaster, etc, the piece ends and you have no idea how the story completely unravels. Then off to another story. I hated this disjointed collection of stories that didn't have enough information to leave me satisfied.
Hans
May 22, 2008 Hans rated it really liked it
I love survival stories. The only problem with this series is that they are only short-stories, so they leave you yearning for more. They don't explain what happens to the hikers in the end or even give much context. A bit frustrating. That is the only reason it didn't get 5 stars.
Ron S
Nov 13, 2013 Ron S rated it really liked it
An anthology devoted to the world's two highest summits spanning the years 1933 through 1996. The beauty of this book results from the qualities of its contributors, including Jon Krakauer, Galen Rowell, Walter Bonatti and Matt Dickinson.
Dave
Aug 31, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
This is a collection of stories from various K2 and Everest books. Some of the excerpts where pretty good, but some felt incomplete. I think I'd much rather read the original books themselves. So I guess this is a good way to get a sampler and see which books you'd want to read in full.
Carole
Aug 08, 2013 Carole added it
I found it interesting but he just gave you bits & pieces of different climbers experiences. Just when it got interesting it went off to another short description of another persons climb.
Scott Shields
Scott Shields rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
S
S rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2008
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Katherine Fahey
Katherine Fahey rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2016
Ben Fearn
Ben Fearn rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Jessie Brown
Jessie Brown rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Heidi Harkins
Heidi Harkins rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Jen Thornton
Jen Thornton rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Donna White
Donna White rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Michael A Kocher
Michael A Kocher rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Travis Shepard
Travis Shepard rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
CJ
CJ rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
John White
John White rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2009
Kevin Brooks
Kevin Brooks rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Last Man on the Mountain: The Death of an American Adventurer on K2
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Other Side of Everest: Climbing the North Face Through the Killer Storm
  • True Summit: What Really Happened on the Legendary Ascent on Annapurna
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Thin Air
  • Mountain Madness
  • A Life on the Edge: Memoirs of Everest and Beyond
  • The Eiger Obsession: Facing the Mountain That Killed My Father
  • Everest - The Hard Way
  • Addicted to Danger: A Memoir
  • Everest: Expedition to the Ultimate
  • Last Climb: The Legendary Everest Expedition of George Mallory
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • The Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory