Start by marking “Voice Across Time” as Want to Read:
Voice Across Time

Voice Across Time

Published January 1st 2011 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Voice Across Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice Across Time

Sheila
Jul 05, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Christian/LDS fiction
Voice Across Time is a romance book full of spirituality, a small pioneer story and a young women torn between two men and two very different lifestyles.

The story has a slow start, but about 90 pages in the story picks up. Abigail (Abby) goes to her Grandmother's home in St.George, Utah to prepare the home for sale. Her Grandmother's recent passing is hard on Abby as she goes through the things in the home that remind her so much of her childhood. Abby has not been active in her Mormon faith fo
Kathryn
May 23, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Alicia
Sep 30, 2013 Alicia rated it it was ok
The idea behind the story was an interesting one. I enjoyed the weaving of the past and the future. Using journal entries to tell the story of the past and how it affect this woman in the future was a good idea. I just wasn't sure how I felt about the journal entries being shared with the reader before the main character discovered them.

I also felt like reality was suspended a few times to make it easier on the author to tell the story. For example when Abby goes shopping with her pregnant frie
Jenny
Jan 21, 2012 Jenny rated it it was ok
It was a good story. Predictable, but that is what we want from love stories right? It was kind of weird that on page 80 it changed from being written only in the main characters perspective, to begin sharing other character's thoughts sometimes when it was convenient. It seems like most of the cases where it shared a supporting characters thoughts would have been better done through conversation instead of changing the writing style so far into the book. A little repetitive with the main charac ...more
Tausha
Oct 24, 2016 Tausha rated it liked it
Once again I'm at a loss as to how to rate this one. I loved it at times and it also drove me crazy. Abby is sweet and I really liked getting to know her and watch her evolve into a better person with an increase in faith and desire to follow God's plan for her. BUT...I don't like a love triangle! Someone is going to always get hurt. You have to cheer for Blake because he makes a great Hero, but it made me feel bad for Scott. LOL It was interesting though how most of the story is centered around ...more
Patti
Sep 02, 2014 Patti rated it liked it
This was a quick read for me. I liked it and would recommend it to LDS friends, but don’t think it is one I will keep to read again. The message is good, however will be probably only be meaningful for that target audience. Know that before and it’s fine.

I was intrigued by the back page summary that told of an old hidden box that contained the journal from Abby’s multi-great grandmother. We get a glimpse of the undiscovered journal entries at the end of each chapter, following Abby’s progression
April
Jul 13, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Abby Peters leaves her real estate business in Denver to go pack up her grandmother's house in St. George. She becomes reacquainted with Blake Matthews and spends time with her friend Megan and husband Ryan.
She comes back into activity in the church as she is in St. George. Her parent also become active in Denver.
Abby left behind a serious relationship with Scott Shafer in Denver. Scott is not LDS. As Abby becomes active and gains a testimony, she faces a tough decision.
A past relative Abby didn
Susan
Aug 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Abigail Peters takes time off from work and away from her serious boyfriend to clear out her Grandmother's vacant home and ready it for sale. She attends church for the first time in years and realizes that she wants religion to be a bigger part of her life. However, her boyfriend has let her know that while he will support her attendance he doesn't want to be part of it. Abigail has to face some important decisions and finds her ancestor's diary to help her put things in perspective. Good story ...more
Susan
Jan 23, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
This was a cute story, but was very predictable. I thought the conversations were kind of stilted--not the way people talk to each other. I guess what bothered me the most was all of the details--what she was fixing for supper, what clothes she was wearing, etc. I also wonder why everyone was rich. I guess exciting things just don't happen to us middle-class folks. I thought the last 1/4 was good and it had a happy ending for both Abby and her 4th great-grandmother.
Scarlet Bushman
Feb 09, 2016 Scarlet Bushman rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this book. I began reading it and knew right away that I would not be finishing it. The style of writing was not my favorite . I skimmed most of the book but was not really interested in reading it all. I got the gist of the story by reading bits and pieces. I am sure that there will be many who love this book. It was just not for me. I didn't connect with the characters and lost interest in the story early on.
Melissa
Jul 31, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
The author did a good job writing in the historical writing aspect but had difficulty writing the way we speak now. I get it, I write that way too. She would do well writing historical novels or use more slang in her modern speech once in a while since it sometimes felt very stilted. I had a hard time getting into the story but wanted to find out what happened to Catherine so I kept going. I was glad I did because I did enjoy the last 1/4 of the novel.
Cheri
Jun 11, 2011 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
Abigail Peters is dating the perfect guy and leaving town so that she can go through her Grandmother's things. Each chapter ends with a journal entry of a long ago ancester. Abigail has some hard decisions to make when she meets Blake Matthews, and has to make a choice.
Dec 29, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
I liked most of this book but the mix of the pioneer story and current didn't mesh very well. I didn't agree that the pioneer experience answered Abby's question. I never liked Scott so I couldn't see why she didn't see all his flaws and reject him based on his personality.
Kristen
Jun 30, 2011 Kristen rated it did not like it
Absolutely a snoozer. No plot whatsoever and way too much detail. I don't need to know how many strawberries the girl had on her wheaties every morning. Could have been better if she had explored the pioneer angle more.
Sep 27, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
This was a good story about making choices. I enjoyed the parallel stories going on at the same time with a nice tie together at the end. Can't say it was particularly surprising or fast paced, but it was still a good story.
Sharon
Oct 24, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Although it was highly predictable and needed editing, I really enjoyed this little story.
Oct 25, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
the story was ok, but the writing left much to be desired. It had a very detatched voice and the conversation between characters wasn't realistic.
Rebecca
Squeaky Clean? - Yes. PG
Tammy
Nov 18, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book, it maybe a bit predictable but I love the devotion she finds on her journey while packing up her grandmother's home.
Janet H.  Weaver
Jun 15, 2011 Janet H. Weaver rated it liked it
An interesting story in which the main character has to choose between "good and good." What makes the difference?
Sally Leblanc
Feb 14, 2014 Sally Leblanc rated it it was ok
2-18-14. Super predictable. I did not like the present day story line--the way it was written But, I enjoyed the journal from the 1800's.
Ken
Oct 16, 2011 Ken rated it liked it
I must be too sentimental, but I enjoy this book even though it was very predictable.
Kristen Robison
Aug 03, 2011 Kristen Robison rated it it was ok
The constant use of a person's name in conversation was going to kill me! I only kept Reading to hear the pioneer aspect.
Jun 09, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction

Abby finds strength and guidance to face her trials in the pages of an ancestor's journal. Well written and engaging.
Debbie
Jul 03, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
My daughter and I like this book.
Dennilynne
Dennilynne rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2011