Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Are you concerned about the freshness of commercial baby food? Are you frustrated with making separate meals for your picky eater? Would you like move toward a plant-based, whole foods diet? Families all over the country have found satisfying, delicious answers to these questions and more in Cynthia Lair's Feeding the Whole Family.

There are over 150 family-tested recipes

Published January 1st 1998 by Moon Smile Press (first published 1994)

Inder
Obviously, I'm very pro-whole-grain and fruits and veggies, so this seems like the kind of book I would like.

But I was immediately turned off when, reading her section on infant nutrition, she recommended home-made formula with raw milk. What? That's just downright scary. She's putting babies' lives at risk with this sort of advice.

Frankly, raw milk is not safe enough for babies. Unless the cows are maintained in impeccably clean conditions, it's easy for a little fecal matter to get into the mi...more
Beth Bender
This book is an excellent example of why many people are overwhelmed and put off by the thought of whole foods. I consider myself pretty crunchy, and I use mostly whole foods cooking for my family, but I thought most of the recipes in this book were just plain weird.

I took issue with her liberal use of sea vegetables. Okay, maybe they are good for you and part of the reason the Japanese diet is so healthy. But I live in the Midwest. It would be completely ridiculous and environmentally irrespon...more
Hawley
This book has been great, albeit a bit heavier on the fall/winter meals than on spring/summer eats. I've used a lot of the recipes and many have become staples: particularly the Middle Eastern Falafel (we make it almost once a week now and I've shared it with TONS of friends who've loved it, too!), the "Cream" of Asparagus Soup (using oatmeal to make it creamy instead of actual dairy), and the Lemon Tahini Dressing. Some really spectacular recipes that are really well laid out: clear, fairly sim...more
Charity (CJ)
Nov 30, 2008 Charity (CJ) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: moms with young children, people who want to eat but don't want to spend a lot of time cooking
I borrowed this book from a friend who borrowed it from another friend. The cover is well-worn and torn in places, so I knew it must have been well-used (always a good sign in a cookbook, I think).

We have tried several recipes from this book and have loved every one of them. The recommendations for meal planning are realistic, nutritious, and affordable. There are food sensitivities in my family (to gluten and dairy) and these recipes are mostly GF/CF (except for the baked goods) and those that...more
Anna
The cover has a picture of an adult and a child preparing dandelion greens. If that is what you're looking for, I bet you'd love this book. I feel very fortunate that we do not have to eat dandelion greens, and I didn't find much to like in this book.
Elke
I loved this book so much that after my checkout time with the library expired (which was pretty quick because it seems like everyone wants this book) I just had to buy it. I still need to make the recipes in the book, but they look so yummy and healthy! I go to an Asian market every week and will totally be taking a slow stroll down the sea vegetable isle. I love simple things that you can add to a meal to increase the nutritional value. I also really liked the illustration in the book about wh...more
Katie Cole
This book, really is a great resource for me. I am just starting as a member of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm and am reading this book in preparation for my first veggie box. I love that this book explains a bit of the history of a particular food, how it developed as an edible, nutritious food through out history, and also explains a bit of the science behind it (without being overly technical) and lastly, how you can prepare it for everyone in the family (even young children and...more
Principle Based Learning
(recommended by Kathleen)
In this book you will have the pleasure of reading astute food philosophy along with rich tasty recipes that are responsive to your challenges as a parent. It’s unusual, yet so rewarding to find a cookbook that includes the breastfeeding years, early food for babies and tips for feeding children. And there are menus! The book is very comprehensive and that is comforting. What we need as parents is just one book, a guide. Feeding the Whole Family is that guide.

Click here...more
Bethany
Jul 19, 2007 Bethany rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who wants to eat right
I absolutely love this cookbook. I am single, and I just ignore the baby food instructions. The recipes are usually very easy to follow. You might have to make a trip to Whole Foods for a couple of unusual ingredients or spices but once you get it you will use it in a lot of the recipes. I rely on this book for helping me to detox and avoid processed foods. Everything is pretty good leftover too. My favorite recipe is the Red Bean Quinoa Chili. I also like Curried Lentils and Cauliflower and Red...more
Amberjean
A basic whole-foods book, nothing terribly revolutionary. Could be good for families with young children, perhaps. It has some of the common flaws of the moosewood-ish genre of cookbooks: every other dish is based on a cooked-grain mush, and tamari, shoyu, and the ubiquitous "sea vegetables" are applied liberally in every section. That said, there were good basic directions for handling vegetables and fruits, including some simple, tasty, and oft-overlooked stuff like dried-fruit compote.
Julie
what an incredible book! as our baby is beginning to share more and more of our meals, i really need to make sure those meals are as healthful as can be. this book helped by inspiring and motivating me and by offering many good suggestions for using more whole foods in my cooking. it contains many wonderful recipes for porridge, applesauce, bread, granola, hummus, etc. as well as a lot of helpful information about buying, storing, and cooking whole grains.
Abby
I absolutely love this cookbook. If I had to choose just one to own, it would definitely be this one. All of the recipes are amazingly easy to make, healthy, and delicious. Seriously, I find it hard to not gush about this book to everyone I know, and I've found myself on the author's blog more than once raving about different recipes. Lair includes recipes and tips for cooking for babies, but even if you don't have kids, get this cookbook! It's amazing.
Danna
This book helped our family as we made better food choices, indispensable really! I have given copies as gifts many times and recently bought the new edition as mine had fallen apart from all the love!!
Caution: a couple of our favorite recipes are not in the new edition and a few recipes are changed a bit!!
When ever I want to entice my sister to come over I tell her we are having the red bean and quinoa chili. She always shows up!!
Christine Cato
This book was lighter on content and heavier on recipes than I expected, but I ended up liking it. A nice guide for how to include whole foods. What is cool about the recipes is that at the bottom it tells you what to do to make the recipe ingredients appropriate for babies/ kids. Also a good introduction to things I didn't know I wanted to know more about - like sea vegetables and sugar that isn't sugar.
Aimee
This is a cookbook I go back to time and time again. It is my favorite, even though I have a few favorite recipes in it, and haven't done as much exploring as I should. I use the bean and rice cookery section the most, for cook times, ideas on what to do with the leftovers and how to use different beans that I am not used to cooking. My son loves the recipes in this book and so does my husband!
Marisa
I love Michael Pollen's books. After reading his books I have often felt that I had all this great knowledge about the way I should be eating, but don't know how to implement it. This book has the information on what we should eat, along with recipes so we know how to implement it. I haven't tried the recipes yet, so I'm giving it 3 stars. If I like the recipes, I will raise my rating.
Kristin
I really liked the ideas from this book on how to feed your family, even your new babies whole foods--grains, vegetables, all kinds of options that don't come from a box, can or anything else that's processed. And, it looks like it's going to be very reasonable--money wise too. I'm excited to have more options in the "wheat-free" baby diet!
Sandra Kimmet
I got the new edition and it is a great book. I heard about it from a mom in my playgroup who worked on editing it. She highly recommended it, and it is a great book. It has some great ideas for quinoa and lunches. I love her checklist to use when you shop. It is easy to follow and totally kid friendly.
Lauren4johnson
Such a great go to for the whole family. Great for when you have a baby. There is a whole beginning that goes through food groups (including sea vegetables!) as well as baby nutritional needs from infancy onward. Every recipe has an option for the baby at the table. The author is a local Seattlite!
Jen
This is an excellent book, and I think if I used it to cook for my family, we would be just overflowing with health and happiness. But I am so not ready to add Tofu Kale Supper Pie, Hijiki Pate, and the entire recommended sea vegetable food group to our menus. Maybe one day?
Kelsy
The bread recipe (using "recycled" grains) is fabulous. We've also enjoyed the whole grain cereals. Some of the "weirder" recipes were not enjoyed so well by my family (beet green & beet salad), but overall I find this book useful, and would rather not do without it!
Jessie
Good information, tried several recipes and they were fine although I once again feel like there's a real conflict with wanting to feed whole foods and having a full time job. We take shortcuts because we simply don't have time to prep everything from scratch.
Siona
Amazing book, amazing teacher! Lots of great whole foods recipes. Every recipe I've made is delicious. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning how to cook healthier well balanced meals. Great ideas for moms and babies too.
Jessica AKA Riley
Apr 11, 2008 Jessica AKA Riley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those looking to add more veggies to their daily regimen
This book was recommended to me because my son has a number of food issues and it provides recipes for healty, substantial meals that are easy to make and uses ingredients that are relatively easy to get at a normal grocery store.
Melanie
This book is used practically every day in my house. The recipes are great, and my toddler loves everything I have offered from this book. Good advice in the beginning, and good solid, healthy meals complete the book. Highly recommended.
Wilder
I got this out from the library and now I will buy a copy so I can get it all messy! This is just what I was looking for in a cookbook. The first section on food information and food politics was also very good. Simple and to the point.
Bernadette Emerson
I cannot say enough about how this book has helped me in my understanding of different ways to cook with whole grains. A great book to help with simple preparation of veggies and including younger children in your meal-planning.
Gail
Great book for anyone curious about the benefits of eating whole foods. Her recipes are a bit bland for my taste (probably due to gearing them toward children), but with a little extra seasoning they are very good.
Jasmine
Love her ideas: moderate but still healthy. Also, amazingly good, healthy recipes. Opened my eyes to some new ingredients. Great for moms but good for anyone who is attempting to both eat healthfully and yummily.
Meryl
I checked this book out because the summary on Amazon said it was about feeding the whole family whole foods. It's really about feeding kids whole foods. Which is fine, but not really what I was after.
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • Simply In Season (World Community Cookbook)
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Full Moon Feast: Food and the Hunger for Connection: Food and Hunger for Connection
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections
  • More-With-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Homemade Cheeses
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
Feeding the Young Athlete: Sports Nutrition Made Easy for Players, Parents, and Coaches Feeding the Whole Family: Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents Feeding the Young Athlete: Sports Nutrition Made Easy for Players and Parents