Start by marking “John Muir: America's Naturalist” as Want to Read:
John Muir: America's Naturalist

John Muir: America's Naturalist

In a series of richly painted landscapes, Thomas Locker brings the world and words of John Muir to readers of all ages. Equally at home in the wilderness of California and Alaska, Muir was a fervid naturalist who wrote inspiring lyrical descriptions of nature for the benefit of future generations. He also founded the Sierra Club to encourage citizens to protect what he co

Published April 1st 2010 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published May 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about John Muir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Muir

Shiloah
A great biography for kids about John Muir with beautiful illustrations by Thomas Locker.
Holly Beth
Oct 24, 2016 Holly Beth rated it liked it
This is a great book if you are interested in Yosemite. I think this book shows just how important this piece of our country was to John. When reading this book I could feel the passion that John had for the wilderness. I would take my students on a nature walk and tell them to look for different things in nature so they could draw pictures.
Matthew
Another story that is obviously well crafted by Thomas Locker. As ever, his paintings are museum worthy. He kind of exists on his own level when it comes to children's book illustrations. Sure, there are the Bagram Ibatoullines and Wendall Minors out there as well, but Locker's work seems to be on par with that of Thomas Kincade as nature scenes go. You almost want to walk into the page and go for a leisurely stroll. He's really an incredible artist. The writing is always pretty good, but the ...more
Janet
The paintings illustrating this title are lovely, but I felt like this was a mood piece with not as much info about Muir as I would have liked. While there was mention of Muir having a huge influence on various people who took up of cause of preservation, there was no text about his relationship with Teddy Roosevelt even though Roosevelt is depicted in the painting. Overall this title lacked substance and was not a balance between text and illustration.
Miri
Jul 01, 2016 Miri rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Locker's illustrations are lovely, but not as stunning as Stanley Fellows's. In this book the text is on pages with brown and dark green backgrounds, the illustrations only on facing pages, so the overall effect is—while appropriate—much darker and more muted, and I prefer the other. I really did like the quotes from Muir's journals, though. He had beautiful things to say about the wonders of nature.
Fran
Oct 08, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages
Recommended to Fran by: Won it on Goodreads
Thomas Locker's JOHN MUIR is a beautiful first introduction to the life and works of John Muir.
The book can stand alone as a book of art, yet the graphics of the print, white print on colored pages facing Locker's artwork is alluring. Each page of print compliments the artwork it faces.

I suggest the pairing of Thomas Locker's JOHN MUIR and John Muir's STICKEEN: THE STORY OF A DOG for young people on your gift list. If you are a John Muir fan, give this book a look for your own library.
Becky B
A picture book biography of naturalist and preservationist, John Muir.

The best thing about this book were the amazing illustrations. They are gorgeous and do a fantastic job of capturing the beauty of Yosemite. There are quotes from Muir’s writings scattered throughout the book, as well as further information and a timeline in the back. A nice, simple introduction to Muir that is a feast for the eyes.
Pancho
Apr 13, 2012 Pancho rated it liked it
I like reading this to my kids. A little above their reading and comprehension level but it has good pictures. They never pick it out themselves and is not one of their favorites but I think it is important to try to embrace nature as did John.
Beth
Mar 22, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The layout of the book includes a few facts on a page with a direct quotation to the side accompanied by a full page illustration. This book demonstrates his impact on preserving nature.
J.Charles
J.Charles rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2011
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Jake Wavra
Jake Wavra rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Tammy Johnson
Tammy Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
2bibliophiles
2bibliophiles rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Mindy
Mindy rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2008
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
MissKAS
MissKAS rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Kate Rice
Kate Rice rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Thomas Locker was one of the major American painters of the past century. In a career that spanned almost 60 years, he had over 75 solo exhibitions. His work ranged from the delicate to the monumental, but all had one thing in common: the beauty of the natural world. He had a deep appreciation for the elusive link between the human spirit and the sublime force of nature.

He spent his entire life in
More about Thomas Locker...