Start by marking “Love in Mid Air” as Want to Read:
Love in Mid Air

Love in Mid Air

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  830 ratings  ·  180 reviews
A chance encounter with a stranger on an airplane sends Elyse Bearden into an emotional tailspin. Suddenly Elyse is willing to risk everything: her safe but stale marriage, her seemingly perfect life in an affluent Southern suburb, and her position in the community. She finds herself cutting through all the instincts that say "no" and instead lets "yes" happen. As Elyse em ...more
Paperback
Published February 1st 2011 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love in Mid Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in Mid Air

Irene
As an unmistakable respite from the contemporary fiction that I typically read, I optimistically chose Kim Wright’s debut novel, LOVE IN MID-AIR. I completely immersed myself in a surprisingly interesting cache of characters unconstrained in their lucid display of similar and diverse views of love, marriage, friendship, and infidelity while attached to a suburban lifestyle which not only suggests privilege, but also ambiguity with respect to some of the mores that ordinarily unite or divide such ...more
Bonnie
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

There are some books that need to be read when you’re at the right place in your life to be able to fully appreciate it. If you’re super happy in your current relationship I could see this being a very negative book, from that perspective. If you’ve had your relationship ups and downs and even occasionally daydream of simply running away from life, I believe you’d be able to understand this book more.

This was a very powerful book, and at first glance not a very happy on
Edward McKeown
A cautionary tale of what happens when you treat a woman like an item of househould furniture. This is a voyage into the female mind and the nature of friendships between women. Not my usual reading, but I know the author and I found it very unusual and interesting, taking my mind in directions it doesn't normally go. Kim writes in a very natural way. I always hear her voice when reading her work I am in good company in liking the work as People, Kirkus and Publisher's weekly agreed with me. Sha ...more
Lori
From my blog:

This is author Kim Wright's debut work and if this book is any indication, she is looking at a successful career as a writer. Because this book is a literary grand slam.

From the first page, I was hooked. Hooked on Ms. Wright's writing style, hooked on the story and hooked on the characters. I literally snuck reading in whenever I could, so anxious was I to find out what was going on in Elyse's world, putting off sleep and household chores to read.

Elyse was a complex character. On
Colleen
Though the underlying plot of a woman assessing her unhappy marriage is a common one, I found this treatment of it very unusual and original. I was delighted that the book focussed on a woman making decisions about her marriage rather than finding herself left behind for a younger woman. I mean, I'm married and so obviously frown upon the idea of adultery, but the thought of living in a marriage like Elyse's where your partner doesn't really see you or hear anything you say, and is content to be ...more
Jason Pettus

So why do I continue to read so-called "chick-lit" novels on such a regular basis, a lot of people ask, when I end up despising so many of them? Well, because I'm convinced that there actually are a few titles out there in the world that manage to be not only smart and unexpected but that wallow in the tro
Ruth
This book.. what can I say. I thought the characters were shallow. I could hardly keep their histories straight and they were all so shallow and dissatisfied with their lives. Elyce the main character I kind of hated from the beginning and I just didn't believe in the immediate connection she makes with Gerry on the plane. There was almost nothing to it and we are supposed to believe there was this huge spark between them that compelled them to become lovers. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to f ...more
Monica
I started reading this book yesterday, I got behind on reading and realized, oh no, I have a blog tour tomorrow. So I pick up the book and start reading, and reading, and reading. I find myself so utterly engrossed in Elyse's life that I have completely tuned out of my own. That is what this book did for me, it let me lose myself for a little bit.

I feel a strong connection with Elyse, she is strong, she knows what she wants but she just doesn't quite know how to get it. She loved her daughter an
From my blog...
Love In Mid Air is a novel, which looks into the world of marriage, one woman's in particular, who realises she no longer cares about her marriage. While Kim Wright wrote a splendid novel, it simply made me sad to think there are women living lives such as the woman in this novel. Kim Wright's character development is well done and one can easily imagine listening to Elyse, Belinda, Nancy, or Lynn and yet I related to none of her characters. I continued reading, hoping something w
Jolene
Thanks for passing this on Irene!

This was definitely a page-turner. Once I started reading it, I was determined to get through it. Unsettling (for me) from the very start. Kind of like seeing how the other half lives.

I have to admit that I found Elyse despicable in the "Fall" section. I started getting into the characters a bit more in "Winter." Toward the end I was rooting for Phil and Lynn (and Tory).

While this story is not qute my cup of tea, Wright is a good writer and curiosity propelled m
Gaby
I enjoyed Love In Mid Air. Elyse is the lead character and although her failing marriage to Phil and her love affair with Gerry are critical and these relationships move the action forward, Elyse's friendship with Kelly is just as significant to the novel. It's the camaraderie and friendship of the different women in the book club, despite their small differences and occasional rivalries that made the characters come alive for me.

It's the dialogue that sets Love In Mid Air apart. Elyse's interna
Alicia
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I usually am deeply irritated by novels about infidelity because I can never figure out why the character doesn't do the right thing and divorce their spouse BEFORE they go out looking for someone new. Of course, that tends to make for a very short novel when the characters behave in sensible and rational ways but it almost always makes me not like and not care about characters who behave so dishonorably.

Anyway, back to this novel, I really liked this bo
Mike
this book rocks! i'm a 30 year old male, probably not the intended audience for this book. but guess what? I'm completely hooked. i won't go with the cliche line, "I can't put it down." I can put it down, i just don't want to. it really is a compelling, thought-provoking story. check it out for sure.
Miriam
I devoured this on my flight from New York to Roanoke. It's a fresh take on a novel about relationships. While so many focus on what happens AFTER a marriage goes awry, this one talks about HOW one goes awry in a very readable way.
Stephanie
I have to admit that Kim Wright's Love in Mid Air was a complete curve ball for me. Perhaps partly due to the fact that I won it through an Allen & Unwin Valentine's Day competition, partly due to the wanton woman dressed in red on the front cover, and partly due to the fairly coy blurb, I was expecting this book to be a bittersweet romance about unhappy housewife being swept off her feet to begin a new life. In fact, it turns out that Love in Mid Air places far more emphasis on the bitter a ...more
Scherry Siganporia
Readers! Have you ever been angry with the person you love? Have you ever wished 'he/she' went away ..far away from you for a day, a week, a month?? Do you realise how it is to live everyday and do the same routine..?? Well...the authoress does make us question our own relationships through this lovely story...written fabulously well...clearly bringing out the conflicts within a relationship. What struck me while reading this book is...all women think the same way!! So if you are dying to read s ...more
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
When Elyse Bearden is on a flight home from Phoenix she meets a man that makes her question her life. She comes to realize that she’s not happy and begins to wonder what she should do about it. Should she give up so much of what she values – her home, her friends, her marriage – and take a chance, or should she stick with the safety of what she knows?

Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright is the story of Elyse’s struggle. Much of the struggle is internal, but some of it is discussed with her friends as w
Nely
Elyse Beardon is on a flight back home to her husband and daughter when she sits down next to a stranger and they begin a conversation. This man and the feelings he brings out in her will make her question where she is in her life. She has been married for almost a decade now and her husband Phil is a great man... her only problem is that she has been trying for years to make their marriage work and she has begun to realize it is a losing battle.

Love in Mid Air is Elyse's struggle to find some s
Jonita
Elyse Bearden is on a flight on the way back from a pottery show when she makes a decision that will change her life. She switches seats with a stranger and ends up sitting next to Gerry, the man who will cause her to question everything that she's ever believed in. After a brief but chemistry-filled encounter with him, she returns home to her passive husband Phil, her fulfilling pottery business, and her young daughter Tori, but suddenly things don't look the same as they always have.

Weeks late
Michelle
3.5+ stars. Given the subject matter (wife/mother meets stranger on airplane; phone sex and regular sex commences) and what I expected of this storyline (e.g. not super unique) the writing is extremely strong and poignant. The author really knows how to turn a phrase and she uses the right tempo for whatever scene she creates. Sentences are to the point, but there is quite a bit of depth here. A couple of my favorite lines:

“The tears of women are cheap, a cheap kind of currency like yen or rupee
Jacqie
I read this one as fast as I could. The main character is a late-thirties housewife who is also an artist. After a fateful meeting on a plane on the way back from a conference, she realizes that she truly does not want to be married anymore to her husband, "a perfectly nice man who I just can't seem to love." The novel is pitch-perfect in its exploration of the emotions of letting go. Fears of losing married friends, how your child will react, whether you can make it on your own financially- thi ...more
Bridget

Elyse meets a man on an airplane and this one single act has changed her forever. She isn't the type of person who does the outrageous, spur of the moment, true love things like most hopeless romantics do. Now, here's the kicker, Elyse is married. She wants to trade her whole boring life for something more. This change in Elyse now has her friends wondering if life has more to offer them as well.

I love it when a woman's eyes are opened and she learns that it's time to start living her life her w
Curt Huffman
I’m on the fence about this book. Firstly, full disclosure: I am a man. Depending on your point of view, I may or may not be allowed an opinion on this book. It is clearly a book for women.
In my completely hypothetical opinion, I think that most women would find it very empowering. The main character, Elyse, goes through quite a journey at the end of her marriage and ultimately finds the ‘will’ to end her marriage once she discovers ‘its edge’. Ironically, even this turning point is given to her
Abby Lyn
When adultery is addressed in popular culture, it's often the story of the bored middle aged man who leaves his wife and kids for the peppy twenty-something secretary that we hear. This book is different. Here it's the thirty something bored North Carolina housewife who has emotionally left her marriage. When Elyse has a chance encounter on an airplane with a handsome (also married) stranger, she uses her attraction as a catalyst for making a decision she had already been struggling with for som ...more
Lstirl
I can see why this book has mixed reviews. As someone who has been in a marriage similar to Elyse's, I felt like she was in my head. The plot was rather mundane and lacking in suspense, but I still couldn't put it down. If you want a glimpse inside the head of a woman trapped in an unhappy marriage, this is a great read. If you want love, revenge and drama, this is not the book for you.
Renee
I almost gave this book five stars, just for the sheer talent, wit and cleverness of the writing. Simply, this book is about a close group of southern woman contemplating divorce. Although the content doesn't seem too earth shattering, and the main character is hardly likable; the author's writing carries any lacking subject matter. This is Kim Wrights debut, and she hits it out of the park.
Christine Paiva Stewart
This novel was quite dire and depressing, but I loved the style in which it was written. The language was most poetic.
The relationship btwn Elyse & Kelly was the most interesting part of the story, for me. I loved all Elyse's friends and the town she lived in. I did not love the ending, but I admit it kept me thinking LONG after the last page was read.
Tiffany
I hate giving a book such a low rating. I so admire anyone who has the creativity and discipline to write a book, much less the luck and perseverance to get it published. But I'm sorry, I really did not like this book at all. It was only a bout of horrific insomnia that kept me reading - there was little else to do at 4.30am.

I mean really, if five minutes into a flight, the complete stranger next to you suggested you both jot down your sexual fantasies and then compare notes, would you do it? I
Diana
I completed this book within 24 hours. I had such a hard time putting it down. Kim managed to draw me into each character with vivid descriptions and amazing writing. The fact that this a debut novel would lead me to believe the author is going to have a very long successful career! I would highly recommend this book to anyone!
Jessie Persse
Easy on the brain... thought provoking. Very much easy to relate to when you have been married for as long as me. Will probably forget this book by next week.
Love in Mid Air discussion group 3 36 May 19, 2010 01:28PM
  • Turning Thirty-Twelve
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • Alexandra, Gone
  • Husband and Wife
  • New York Valentine (Annie Valentine, #5)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Life After Yes
  • Perfect Reader
  • Corked

When I was a kid I was so obsessed with books I used to check out four at a time from the library - that was the limit in the small NC town where I was raised - then walk down the street, sit under a tree, and read them as fast a I could so I could go back to get four more. I've always been obsessed with books.

Now I am the author of Love in Mid Air and the sequel The Unexpected Waltz, published by
More about Kim Wright...
City of Darkness (City of Mystery, #1) The Unexpected Waltz The Canterbury Sisters City of Light (City of Mystery, #2) City of Silence (City of Mystery #3)

“In novels, women run off with their lovers. In real life, women stay.” 8 likes
“It's true," I admit. I put two fingers up to my throat to feel my pulse. "I've never trusted anybody to catch me.” 3 likes