Start by marking “The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)

The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  745 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
ebook
Published April 10th 2011 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Kindling Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindling Heart

Kathy ~ Bookworm Nation
Overall, I enjoyed this one. I liked our main characters Ruan and Bree, and I’m a sucker for an arrange marriage story line. Ruan had a rakish past, but saw the error of his ways and had become a pretty moral man over the years. He is manipulated into a marriage with Bree, who was escaping from the only home she knew and ironically another arranged marriage when she is tricked into marrying Ruan. Neither trusts one another and it takes awhile for a friendship to grow. At first, I thought Bree’s ...more
Shannon Mayer
May 30, 2011 Shannon Mayer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruan MacLeod was through with women. They were nothing but trouble. Leaving the rash life of his youth behind, he returned to Skye, seeking peace. He never meant to split the clan or start a war with the MacDonald of Duntulm. He certainly never foresaw an arranged marriage to the most scandalous woman in Scotland. Even though she was twice his age, the size of a horse and mother to more than one illegitimate child, he agreed to secure his sister’s freedom.

However, even that plan goes drasticall
Brenda
Jan 02, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this free books so much I bought the second book in the series. I love Scottish books
Zoe
Jul 06, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will confess that my 2 stars are a bit harsh and perhaps premature. If I was not in such a reading rut, I would probably have rated higher. But after 3 weeks of boring books my patience is at a record low, which attributed to my 2 star rating. If I was in my right frame of mind this book would have been a weak 3 stars book.

I am uncertain how Bree ended up being the replacement bride for Ruan. It was a lot of angry highlanders and some old and/or mean women and boom Bree was married to Ruan. I
Suzan Tisdale
Jan 21, 2012 Suzan Tisdale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the very first "Scottish Romance" novels that I ever read. This is the one that got me hooked! ;o) It remains one of my favorites.
Terri
Jan 23, 2012 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Ho hum. It was ok. It felt a little like this was a self-published book. The heroine had no real voice. She was 'shy' and hence spoke very little throughout the story (external dialogue, nor internal dialogue). The author rushed through some plot elements at break-neck speed, leaving me wanting more details and more development, but spend oodles and oodles of time in other parts of the story that could have been told with more efficiency. For me, this book just didn't have a good road map, nor a ...more
Mary Ashley
I thought that The Kindling Heart is a good book but not a great one. The forced marriage story line is not new and had some good and funny parts. The problem is I found myself thinking get on with the story at times and felt like I was pushing myself to finish. Some will like it and want to read the next in the series but I don't think it is for me.
Sandy Grissett
Aug 07, 2015 Sandy Grissett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Carmen Caine is an excellent writer. I fear I read this book out of sequence yet I am glad I did. Close to the end of the book I got to see Cameron again and I knew of his fate. This is a story about Bree who has been abused and her mother was going to sell her off to be married to another who would do not but abuse her also. Thank goodness Afraig notified Domnall (Bree's father) to come before she would be married off. Domnall takes her to a place called Dunvegan and would you believe
Bluejay44
Jan 14, 2012 Bluejay44 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this as a freebie recently and it leapt straight up to the top of my TBR mountain. I love historical novels and was not disappointed with this one. Am so glad to find that there will be others in the series, I am definitely not ready to say goodbye to Bree, Ruan and the rest of the clan.
Ashley Lavering
Jul 13, 2012 Ashley Lavering rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this historical romance. There are some adult scenes but they are short and modestly done for a romance. The plot was so cool and I loved the tension between the two characters! for 18+ years old.
Angie Cornelison
I really enjoyed this little gem of a book. I love a good romance and this did not disappoint! I liked it so much I'm ordering the next one in the series.
Cindy Woods
Mar 16, 2016 Cindy Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars!

What a great book....great writing...memorable characters. Couldn't put it down. I plan to read this series now as this was the first I've read by this author. The writing is fresh, skilled, not overlong with frivolous adjectives...to the point. The dialogue is very well done. I rarely give five stars, and I read a book a day normally. This was an adventure from start to finish. Fell in love with Ruan, of course...who wouldn't?! Bree is truly a unique and pure soul. I cannot say enoug
Kristin
Sep 19, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting and a quick read. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Jeene Hobbs
Sep 22, 2015 Jeene Hobbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected clan leader and an unlikely wife

Ruan doesn't want to lead the clan and never expects to do so. He also doesn't plan to wed or to fall for the woman he is forced to wed. Bree just wants to escape the awful place she lives and the people who would wed her off for 3 sheep.

This first book in the series is full of deceit, jealousy, spite, misunderstanding, and second chances.

Originally, I read book two and really liked the first third or so. I decided recently to read the books in prop
Alan
May 14, 2015 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Respectively good!

A brother rescue's his sister from a under age marriage an is forced to marry in her place or she will be sent back his intended dies so they the clan must find a replacement bride for him. One of their members of the opposing clan finds out he has a daughter he never met so he gets her from her mom's custody an marriage's her off for the replacement bride.There is a lot of action roller coaster of up's an down's between them two an conspiracy in his clan to end his life.Read t
Nic
Feb 13, 2012 Nic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was awful.
Jane
Ruan MacLeod, The Kindling Heart is fifth in line for his clan's leadership being the youngest brother. He returns to the Isle of Skye, his home seeking peace and is ordered to marry the worst harlot in the British Isles; he finds a substitute bride on his wedding day. Bree travels to Scotland with her father to escape the brutality of how her mother and step-father treat her; she understands little of her father's plans for her until she finds she is wed to Ruan.

Bree is shy but feisty and ready
Zoe Saadia
May 01, 2012 Zoe Saadia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two weeks in the magic of the highlands

For two wonderful weeks I was thrown back in time, into the magic of the Highlands.
The Kindling Heart had managed to take me far, far away, into the times and the places I was hardly familiar with. The amazingly detailed, yet flowing descriptions made me feel as if actually visiting the 16th century’s Scotland, enveloping me with the wonders of those long-forgotten times, but at the same time not making the reality into too clean or too pretty.

The Kindling
Judy
Sep 25, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the background of the court of King James III, the Earl of Lennox, Cameron Stewart, has had 7 politically arranged marriages but never bedded any of his wives. He believes himself to be cursed and thinks that anyone he aligns himself with in romance and marriage will be doomed to an untimely end. Thus, he decides to forego any and all hopes of having a true love, much less a real marriage. That is, until he meets the delightful Kate Ferguson.

Kate is an amazing little lady with hope and ch
Ronni
Feb 03, 2012 Ronni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish this book. It was a stubborn decision; reading this novel was akin to watching a train derail, I suppose. Confession: I love great literature; I read constantly, but every now and then I love a guilty pleasure. My guilty pleasure is reading historical romances, especially those set in the Scottish Highlands. My husband and I jokingly call the genre: "Throbbing Loins."

Did Ms. Caine self-publish? She must have, because it's obvious t
Barbara
Feb 28, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

Enjoyable read overall. Heroine was a bit closed minded at first and continually running away from her new husband. Husband shows more emotion than I'm used too (grief), which wasn't bad, but I would have liked to have read more about where all this emotion was coming from. I would have liked more interaction between hero and heroine. Appreciated that sexual situations were not graphic. I will read more by this author.
Petula
Sep 06, 2014 Petula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bree is dismayed to find out her father is selling her as a bride to an old man for the price of three sheep. If she refuses she will be beaten into submission.
Ruan is a despised younger brother of a vicious Laird. He has just rescued his battered little sister from a marriage to a nearby Laird by force. His brother insists a marriage must take place, and picks the worst possible bride for Ruan as a punishment.
When Ruan finds himself married to a terrified Bree he declares that he will have th
Sandra
Apr 04, 2014 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bree and Ruan. Bree is unwanted and beaten by her stepfather; Ruan is forced to marry Bree by family to avoid a feud. Ruan goes to enemy klan to bring home his 10-year old sister whom his brother has married off to another klan. She had been beaten. Ruan's brother Tormond vows to take Bree and "Get her with child". Too many "ach"s; almost no dialog, almost none between Bree and Ruan-she spends her whole time so skittish as to be completely ridiculous. With little to no conversation between then, ...more
Ann Gonzalez
Apr 10, 2016 Ann Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Highlander romance! I had read other books in the series in boxed sets. It is worth paying for. It was slow going and somewhat confusing for me in the beggining, but soon I figured it out and enjoyed it all. Characters were great! The setting is written with such detail. Carmen Caine is an author I would recommend to others.
Kendra
This was a nice highland romance book. The characters were likable and I never wanted to slap them across the face. The story itself was a nice blend of sweet/touching moments, action, and humor. I did struggle a bit initially with all the names. It was easy to blend people together. However, as the story progressed and each character developed I was able to distinguish them. I would certainly recommend this for anyone who enjoys Scottish historical romance.
Margaret Klein
Mar 30, 2015 Margaret Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A. Romance with Heart

The Kindling Heart ( The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance) by Carmen Caine. I really did enjoy the storyline, I'm a sucker for arrange marriages. This story has many characters, some are quite intriguing, others are just plain nasty.
Jenn
Dec 13, 2014 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Eh. The story here was passable and could have even been good. But the writing was choppy. The transitions were nonexistent, leaving the reading wondering how you got from one situation to the next. The "heroine" wasn't heroic in the least. And neither of the two main characters would talk to each other at all. Meh.
Melissa
Not my favorite. Writes like earlier Lynn Kurland but better without the repetition and more history and movement. No explicit sex scenes but a lot of innuendo but it's not slimy.
Sparrow
Jul 16, 2014 Sparrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read. A few errors in the writing, but nothing that would deter from the reading. Truly an enjoying read.
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • Angel of Skye (MacPherson Clan, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Highland Seer (Highland Talents, #2)
  • Legacy
  • Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series, #1)
  • Anna, Rachel & Charlet (Highlander #1)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Unleashed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #1-3) (The MacLauchlans, #1-3)
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, # 1)
  • Highland Legacy
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
Like many of us on this planet, Carmen Caine/Madison Adler is from another world. She spends every moment she can scribbling stories on sticky notes that her kids find posted all over the car, house, and barn.

When she is not working as a software engineer, she is busy ferrying her kids to various appointments, writing lyrics for her husband's songs, taking care of the dog Tigger and his heart con
More about Carmen Caine...

Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance (5 books)
  • The Bedeviled Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #2)
  • The Daring Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #3)
  • The Bold Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #4)
  • The Loyal Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #5)