Start by marking “Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon” as Want to Read:
Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon

Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  18 reviews
“There were times I was a bit reticent in taking out my camera, like when some ‘old friends’ stopped by to hang out. I didn’t want to intrude on these moments, but John insisted. He felt that I captured him in ways that no one else did because of his comfort level with me…For years, only my closest friends got to see these photos—which were literally tucked away in a shoeb ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Instamatic Karma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instamatic Karma

Krystal
May Pang re-lives the "Lost Weekend" (aka two year relationship) with John Lennon in this book, complete with the beautiful candid photography she took that are now historic Lennon pictures. It's not a detailed biography of their personal life together, but I think more of a remembrance of what Lennon was like behind closed doors. Despite what most people think about his documented tempestuous personality, this book shows the side of John that was kind-hearted and loveable.
George Bradford
Somewhere between the heroic myths fabricated by Hunter Davies / Neil Aspinall / Ray Coleman and the slanderous lies perpetrated by Albert Goldman / Robert Rosen / Fred Seaman rests the truth. A truth we may never know. A truth even Yoko obscures from public view.

But here we catch a breath taking glimpse. In over 150 amateur photographs taken between 1973 and 1975 (and the genuinely frank text that accompanies them) this book presents John Lennon as he's never been seen before. He's complicated.
Anna
hoorah for pictures!
Maybe its just me, but in MOST John/Yoko photos he looks glum or too serious...
In this collection of photos taken by May Pang (with a couple by Julian), John is beaming from almost every page! I don't know where Yoko's "PR machine" gets their info on him "being so desperately lost" during this time... The photos speak volumes otherwise

He looks happy, he's relaxed, he's hanging out with friends + Julian and just doin his thing.

The shots aren't pro (some are blurry, some have f
Peter
I love the Beatles and John Lennon. I thought I had seen everything there was to see about them but this book contains the only photo of John Lennon and Paul McCartney after the break-up of the Beatles that I have ever seen. Think about it. Have you ever seen a photo of John and Paul post-1970? There is one in this book. Great book for Beatles/Lennon fans. And if you email May Pang, she will write back!
Gary Schantz
Since 99% of the books about the Beatles as a group or as individuals are written by people who don't know them personally so I found this book to be fun look at a small part of John Lennon's life put out by someone who not only knew him but had no axe to grind.

The book covers the time between the end of Lennon's anti-war politics; his break-up with Yoko Ono; the final dissolution of the Beatles (contractually); and the last of his recording career before he walked away from the music business t
Rob
This book provides some wonderful insight into Lennon's life during the time when the Beatles disbanded. The photographs are candid and intimate, and make him seem like a "real person" as opposed to a superstar rock icon. May Pang, the author and photographer of the book, was probably the woman closest to Lennon during the 18 months the story covers, ad really makes the pictures come to life with her excerpts and various commentaries. I think this would be a good book for younger reluctant reade ...more
Asm
This was a great, easy read full of some rare and wonderful photographs of John Lennon during the mid-70s. It's obvious that May cared for him very deeply and tried to help him pull his life back together in the wake of the Beatles' break up. She also seemed to help John get back onto a good track with Paul McCartney, despite their often tumultuous relationship. John looked healthy and happy during his 18 months with May, who seemed to be a very good (and welcomed) influence on his life.
Kevin A.
I never read her "Loving John" book, but May Pang's commentary on these Polaroids from 1974 make her seem quite likable. The fact that one of them is a view of Paul & Linda McCartney coming up the stairs reinforces the notion that Lennon's "lost weekend" year represents a tantalizing possibility of what might have been without the isolating influence of Yoko Ono. Which is a fan's fantasy, of course, because Lennon himself by all accounts was happier by her side.
Ryn McAtee
The love May had (has) for John emanates from every single photo in this book. I found myself in tears more often than not... and usually with a huge smile on my face. May is a wonderful human being, and her photos provide such an intimate glimpse into her and John's life.
Stephanie
This photo album helped me see John Lennon as a person, rather than an icon.
Jerry
unique look into a different side of John Lennon. worth the time to look through.
Peacegal
This is a good-natured collection of candid snapshots taken during what is mistakenly called Lennon’s “Lost Weekend” with his assistant/girlfriend/etc. May Pang. The photos here don’t convey a sense of being lost at all—indeed, most radiate joy and contentment.

This is an essential piece of history for Beatles fans.
Katherine
mostly pictures but they open a window into the private life of Lennon so if you're a fan, it's worth it
Jasmine
Good Book. Good read. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............ I could go through it over and over again.
Gretchen
Great photographs & stories. A quick read. I'd like to read May Pang's other books as well.
Hicksnco
150 never before seen photos of John Lennon, a feast!
Tama
Yeah.. i was curious....
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Isaura
Isaura added it
Dec 15, 2014
Rhiannon Henderson
Rhiannon Henderson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Krystle Chandler
Krystle Chandler marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Ronda Brett
Ronda Brett marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • The Beatles
  • Imagine: John Lennon
  • Lennon
  • The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions: The Official Story of the Abbey Road Years 1962-1970
  • Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
Loving John John Lennon: In Their Own Write: A Loving Tribute From His Fans and Friends john lennon: in their own write, a loving tribute from his friends and fans A Practical Guide to a Task-Based Curriculum: Planning, Grammar Teaching and Assessment