Start by marking “The Ferguson Rifle” as Want to Read:
The Ferguson Rifle

The Ferguson Rifle (The Talon and Chantry series #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,598 ratings  ·  46 reviews
It began with gold that had once belonged to Montezuma. Stolen and cached in a church in Mexico, it was recovered by two army officers who fled north for the French settlements. Along the way one stabbed the other to death. The remaining officer was eventually killed by Plains Indians, but he buried the treasure just before he died.

Now Ronan Chantry, a handful of trappers
Published March 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Ferguson Rifle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ferguson Rifle

I read this many years ago (likely upon its first release) and I enjoyed the re-read. I find a few things in the story really, really far-fetched. First, the gift of the rifle to the young boy during the American Revolution. Some of the scholarly references were a bit much, I felt.

However, overall, this is meant to be taken as an action yarn. During the period of the mountain men, so a bit different than much of L'amours writing, but really, only a bit.

There is a cache of gold/lost treasure tha
Like most of Louis L'Amour's novels this was an enjoyable tale if you like his style and approach. However, what made this one a bit more remarkable for me was the history. L'Amour is known for blending fiction with some fact and real people, places, and events in his novels. This one was no exception, in that a real historical figure, Patrick Ferguson, made a brief appearance. The inventor of an early innovation in firearms technology, Ferguson might have played a key role in the American Revol ...more
This Louis Lamour title was not as absorbing as the last one I read. Maybe it's because the hero, after a tragedy in his life, is wandering aimlessly west. He's not exactly The Man With No Name, but he is sort of The Man With No Purpose Who Has A Really Cool Rifle. He falls in with some men along the trail, and then their group falls in with a young woman and her companion. The subsequent adventure flows from these other characters, rather than from anything the hero wants--which makes the story ...more
My first Louis. Never looked back.
I actually read The Ferguson Rifle for the first time years ago* and loved it, but I recently won the audiobook from Goodreads via their FirstReads program. This lined up nicely with a road trip my wife and I had to take, and so the adventure began anew….

I don’t usually do audiobooks, as I have little time for them. I don’t have copious amounts of driving built into my day (if this ever changes, I likely will start consuming larger quantities), I can’t listen at work, and frankly given the choic
Laura Verret
Ronan Chantry is a man running away from his past, running away from his grief. He hopes that by barreling west he can escape the memories of his dead wife, his dead son, and the horrible accusations that resulted from their deaths. All he wants is to be free from their memory, even if it means he must die.

Chantry expected to come up against Indians and Spaniards on his journey. But he never expected to find a young Irish woman stranded in the middle of nowhere with only a little boy to give her
East Bay J
For some reason, I found myself wanting to give ol’ Louis L’Amour another read. Any book would do, but I kept finding, like, the third and seventh book in the Sackett series or something. Never a standalone novel. On a recent excursion to Oregon, I happened to find The Ferguson Rifle in a thrift store for peanuts and knocked it out in a few hours of reading.

Which is the first thing I like about L’Amour’s books. They read fast. Part of this is L’Amour’s own skill as a writer, his ability to reall
It was pretty amazing! This novel was only the second second Louis L'Amour novel I have read, and despite the constant philosophical thoughts, I still love his writing. There is so much history embedded in these novels that you always learn something. This isn't a mystery book. Yes, there is a hidden treasure and a terrible villain, but there is so much more to the story. The people, the setting, feelings. Just be prepared.
Louis L’amour has always been one of my favorite authors. He is the consummate storyteller. This one is the story of a man haunted by his recent losses – his wife and son are killed in a fire in Boston. Ronan Chantry heads west after his loss, heading into the wilderness “west of the Mississippi” in the early 1800’s. He carries with him a breech-loading rifle given to him as a child by a British Officer who had designed and invented it. He meets up with some men heading west as trappers, running ...more
Lee McClain
I loved this old-fashioned Western for its hero. He's nicknamed Scholar, and has had a career as a writer and professor, but of course, he's strong and macho and a good shot with his Ferguson Rifle. Great descriptions of the west. Almost every chapter ends on a cliffhanger. Lots to learn from the master of Western fiction.
Yup, another Louie, but it was enjoyable the second time through. I remembered a few parts, but mostly it was fresh. Typical, lots of action, some history, a bit of a love story, and some philosophizing about human behavior. It was a good read.
This is an excellent book. I don't really like the typical "western" theme (cowboys) so I've avoided Louis L'Amour's books. This is my second one of his books, and haven't seen a cowboy yet. This one isn't really a "western" as it takes place at the time of the Louis and Clark expedition.

A delightful read, I read it again after finishing it the first time. The writing is clear, the characters are well-defined, and the plot is straightforward. The good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. Ther
Keith Bell
Found this one at a used book store and realized I didn't own it. Probably one of the only ones I don't.
I would rate that a good solid "Eh..." It started interesting, but as the story progessed (or didn't) it got dull and long. The opening chapter sets Ronan Chantry up to be the tragic figure, but that doesn't really play into the story. Basically Chantry sets off for the west, joins in with some fellas, meets a girl in need and together they help her search for a lost treasure. This would have worked for a short story, but didn't really have the meat for a full novel. Louis L'Amour is hit-&-m ...more
This was surprisingly not the typical L'Amour wild west novel. It takes place nearly a century before all the gunslingers during the time of the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark expeditions. The first half of the book was full of elegant words about the beauty of the country and the fur trappers and pioneers that were setting forth to make a home in the west. The story, however, moved on to hidden Spanish treasures, a helpless senorita and a series of gunfights which resulted in the or ...more
Not my favorite by Louis L'Amour, but good enough for an airplane.
A work worthy of a master.
Ambar Yadav
"The Ferguson Rifle" is a fairly typical Western, well deserving of the three stars I've allotted to it.
It's a relatively short work, and takes care not to unduly complicate a simple, yet efficient plot. Louis L'amour's regular readers will not be surprised to find that the action is fast paced, accurate and well articulated, after all, the name does speak for itself. Quite entertaining, and should be a treat for anyone who enjoys the genre. It is, however, nothing out of the ordinary. Nor does
This is a rarity for me. I have stopped reading this book at page 128. I don't know why I didn't stop at 50 since it was boring then. I think I was hoping for better. But, alas, better never came. There is just too much in this book. The villain is too bad. The hero is too pretty. The treasure is too old (200 years. Too many groups invovled: Anglos,, Mexicanos, Indians, Irish,
The book is just too much.
Calvin Daniels
First L'Amournovel in years. The main character was not particularly well-defined for me. An issue in a first-person narrative, where it's hard to give someone a voice that goves themselves depth.

The gal and the gold and the bad guys after both all seemed a bit thin too.

Quick read though, which is the allure of a western. A 2.5 but since we don't have the option, I'll give it a .
An Odd1
*** "The Ferguson Rifle", by Louis L'Amour, was given to young Irish lad by the maker. Having lost his wife and son to fire in Boston, he heads west to escape. Now nicknamed Scholar, he knows philosophy, history, botany, geography, knives, guns, and fists. We meet Indians, treasure seekers, fur traders, a maiden in distress, her evil uncle, grassy plain, deep forest, forgotten caves.
Fredrick Danysh
A treasure of gold once belonging to Montezuma is stolen by two army officers from a church. One murders the other and flees north with the treasure. He is killed by the Apache, but not before he buries the treasure. Several men and a girl come across a map and hunt for the gold. The get caught up in conflict and distrust when greed raises its ugly head.
An excellent unabridged audio-book figuring a scholarly fur trapper and colorful friends, a headstrong Irish lass in search of Spanish gold, and a formidable foe seeking the same with intent to buy himself a black-flagged vessel suited to his piratical inclinations. Enjoy it! This just filled the number two slot on my L'Amour favorites list.
...definitely not one of L'Amour's better books in my opinion - towards the end I found myself wondering if he was philosophizing about himself or it somehow still referred to the book. I'll never know I guess.
Michael Kennard
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Tome Addiction
Another story from Americas greatest storytellers. There is a deeper story in this short novel with adventure, gun fights, witty humor, treasure and yes no Louis L'amour would be complete with out a girl.

This was the very first L'Amour book I ever read. My brother had just read it & I needed something to read, so.... Since then, I think I've read almost all of his books.
Richard Mansel
L'Amour is at his best when he's teaching history and "The Ferguson Rifle" is a great example. This is one I'll have to read again someday.
Maybe this deserves 3 and a half stars. It's one of L'Amour's mountain man books and is pretty good.
Ronan Chantry and his prized Ferguson rifle are the headliners in this L'Amour. Not his best.
  • Desert Gold
  • The Untamed
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Forty Lashes Less One
  • The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Talon and Chantry series (8 books)
  • Borden Chantry
  • Fair Blows the Wind
  • The Man from the Broken Hills
  • Milo Talon
  • North to the Rails
  • Over on the Dry Side
  • Rivers West

“Somebody comin'," he said softly. "Five or six, maybe." His words were spoken over an empty fire, for each of us vanished ghostlike into the surrounding darkness. I, fortunately, had the presence of mind to retain my coffee. With the Ferguson rifle in my right hand, I drank coffee from the cup in my left.” 3 likes