The Everything Potty Training Book: Professional, Reassuring Advice to Help You and Your Child Through This Challenging Time

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  10 reviews
As you may have heard, or are currently experiencing firsthand, potty training is one of the most stressful challenges of raising a child. From first introducing the potty seat, to using incentives for encouragement, to making the first diaperless trip outside the home, The Everything Potty Training Book provides practical, reassuring advice to help you survive this diffic...more
Published December 18th 2008 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Potty Training Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Potty Training Book

Robyn
Jun 26, 2008 Robyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first time parents, first time toilet trainers
The author of this book certainly has her opinions. Although she tries to present each type of toilet training in a positive light, it's clear that she prefers early training - what some call "elimination communication" (or EC) - over training toddlers. Her disdain for some methods comes through loud and clear, and is almost comical.
I did learn quite a bit from this book. I'm a first-time mom who's never dealt with toilet training. I find that the "Everything" series is generally informative an...more
Erin Ching
This book does present several methods of potty training, but it's clearly biased towards early and intensive potty training. So if you have a late potty trainer, or plan to use a more laid back approach, or your child has any kind of special needs - then i would find a different book.
Leighanne
I really REALLY liked this book. Although it is the only potty training book I've read so far, I thought it was encouraging for first-time potty training parents. It gives you a few different ways to go about it, and if one method fails, I'm glad to know I have another one I can easily start up. It is also really positive and teaches how to give feedback and deal with difficult situations.
Jenifer
Guess what we are getting ready to start at our house. These books drive me crazy. It is a 200 page book, but everything you need to know could be written in 5 pages. I don't need to be told 100 times that punishing my child for having an accident is wrong. Oh well, hopefully I will learn something from reading it.
Mary
Okay, I'm NOT actually trying to potty train my 19 month old son. I just like to brush up on upcoming stages in his life. So far we're in the "pretend play" phase of learning about the potty. He does get a kick out of all the books available these days with pictures of poop in them...
Sarah Sammis
The only really useful piece of info we pulled out of this book is to use an egg timer. There are a lot of ideas in here that just made all three of us scratch our heads. Perhaps someone else will get more use out of the book than we d
Bonnie Brien
I got some useful information but I'm still nervous about potty training. Although Audrey had her first pee in the toilet! We're going to do a "take it slow" approach, I believe the book calls it potty practice.
Bethany
A good overview of the most popular training methods and practical advice on a variety of issues one might face. It didn't potty-train my daughter, but it helped me deal with set-backs.
Isabelle
Great book to have when potty training! Has a lot of great advice and gives an overview of different potty training methods.
Holly Beely
It was a helpful book for both my husband and me, it gave us a broad knowledge of potty training before we started trying to PT our daughter.
Jovanna Walker
Jovanna Walker is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Leandra
Leandra marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
May 27, 2013
Holly Braun
Holly Braun marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Early-Start Potty Training The Everything Toddler Book: From Controlling Tantrums to Potty Training, Practical Advicfrom Controlling Tantrums to Potty Training, Practical Advice to Get You and Your Toddler Through the Formative Years E to Get You and Your Toddler Through the For... The Everything Tween Book: A Parent's Guide to Surviving the Turbulent Pre-Teen Years The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with ADD/ADHD: A Reassuring Guide to Getting the Right Diagnosis, Understanding Treatments, and Helping Your Child Focus Mommy Rescue Guide: Potty Training: Lifesaving Techniques and Advice for an Easy Transition