Start by marking “Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals” as Want to Read:
Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals

Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  673 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Just in time for New Year's resolutions, learn how to reach your goals-finally-by overcoming the many hurdles that have defeated you before.

Most of us have no idea why we fail to reach our goals. Now Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson, a rising star in the field of social psychology shows us how to overcome the hurdles that have defeated us before.

Dr. Grant Halvorson offers insi

Audio CD, 1 page
Published December 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Succeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Succeed

Mitton
This is NOT a clichéd self-help book.

In a similar vein to Piers Steele’s book “The Procrastination Equation” and Kelly McGonigal’s “Maximum Willpower” Heidi Grant Halvorson’s “Succeed” is written by an academic (day-job when not scribbling is that of a Social Psychologist).
And just like those other two books, Grant Havorson’s ”Succeed” distils the results of published dry academic research papers (that no one outside of an academic institution would be likely to get their hands on or understand
Lance
It wasn't so much the purple cover that intrigued me (I mean, purple is the default wardrobe color for comic book villians) as it was the subtitle: How We Can Reach Our Goals. I had always been troubled that every year I make goals and only achieve a portion of the them. No matter what changes I seem to make, I could never get at the real root of the problem because the percentage of unmet goals would remain more or less constant year after year.

Now I have some answers. Halverson is a social psy
Michele
I'm definitely a goal-oriented person, so I wondered how reading yet another book on the subject might help me do even better at setting/achieving goals. After all, how complicated can it be, right? Even still, I did glean some useful insight that I hadn't really considered before like, "Don't visualize success. Instead, visualize the steps you will take in order to succeed."

I enjoyed Halvorson's research-based study of goals, though I did occasionally get bored with the details and ended up ski
Jina
If Halvorson's book Focus gets a bit repetitive because the author is covering one finding over and over again, Succeed feels the opposite: a bit breathless because Halvorson is now trying to cover several findings to make a comprehensive book about motivation and goals. Despite that, I think the information within is very good. Halvorson covers a lot of ideas that are more exhaustively explored elsewhere: for example, that self-control is like a muscle (Roy Baumeister in Willpower), that our li ...more
James Shoop
I really liked this book. It didn't have the cheesy, hokey feel that most self-improvement books I've read do. The author's style was very personal and non-preachy- which is rare for books written by professionals- and the topics were addressed in a very orderly fashion, which is also rare. Her constant allusions to her dislike of exercise were so predictable and not-funny that they were hilarious in a weird sort of way...
Much more importantly, though, is the content! The book is very well rese
Angela Alcorn
I just found this book from an article on bright young girls. I've heard similar things about bright kids in general, but never thought about how easily it might apply more to girls than boys. And if you've ever tried to control a classroom of kids, you know how easily this can be true.

All kids need to be reminded that effort-based learning is required, not that there's some "smart/not smart" or "good at this/not good at this" switch in place.
Lu
Dr. Halvorson has written a book that addressed a big gap in my goal setting practice that I didn't even know existed.

There are many type of goals and rewards. This book clearly illustrated the difference between the types, and most importantly, defined which type of goals should apply to which type of situations.

The first couple of chapters alone on "why" and "what" of goals are worth the book price alone.

I also like how the author uses her personal stories to illustrate her points.

Highly recom
Leslie
I really liked this book. It was a good book to read not too long after having read Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strengthbecause much of the research and many of the ideas presented there are reinforced here. Grant Halvorson takes a different angle and emphasis than Willpower but there is lots of overlap.

I enjoyed Grant Halvorson's writing style and can tell I would have loved taking a class from her when I was in college. I really appreciated her including a very clear and concis
Nancy
The tipoff in this book comes in the Forward, where Carol Dweck (who was the author's mentor) compliments Grant Halvorson on the research she selected to shape the book: Dweck's own work. So if you're looking for a book to "extend" Dweck's mindset theory, then beef it up with some reheated studies on willpower being a muscle, and positive thinking being a trap, this is your book.

The tone is chatty, just short of the Exclamation Point!! school of self-help writing. But where I got off the bus was
Daniel
Leitura recomendada para todo coach e pessoa orientada a metas e objetivos (donos de metas).

Traz novidades importantes para abordar o processo de elaboração e execução de uma meta. Justifica a ferramenta SMART (sem citá-la), principalmente porque devemos os elementos de Ação, Relevância e Tempo.

O argumento principal é: nenhuma meta deve ser abordada da mesma maneira. Uma meta depende de dois fatores:
- sua orientação pessoal em relação ao sucesso (e consequentemente ao fracasso)
- e do tipo de m
Zewei
In 'Succeed', Dr. Heidi Grant Halvarson attempts to bridge the fields of social psychology and personal development. Throughout the book, she artfully draws upon numerous studies exploring the topics of motivation and achievement. This jaunt through the latest scientific research is in itself an eye-opener. But Dr. Halvarson goes further: from this rich trove of empirical data, she teases out many concrete, actionable steps that we can all take to accomplish our goals. She also introduces severa ...more
William
Heidi Grant Halvorson has written an unusual book on how we can reach our goals. What makes it unusual is that her book is entirely based on research studies available in the academic psychology literature. I generally appreciate knowing the context or background of why I'm being told to do certain things, so I really appreciated this. This explanation is especially valuable where she makes recommendations that, while based on the empirical literature, are counter-intutive or against received wi ...more
Liz De Coster
Another psychological-research-based look at self-improvement, like 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot, Dr Grant Halvorson looks at different factors that affect how we set, approach and understand our goals. Part of the book promotes already widespread advice for how to reach your goals, such as 'practice your self-control' and 'set specific milestones.' Early sections of the book, which I found more interesting, covered attitudinal differences such as entity vs incremental theory (do you ...more
Peggy
Everyone should read this book. It can be a little overwhelming in some parts because it covers a lot of information. But it gives you concrete ways that you can make changes to reach any goal you have in mind, including starting good habits or stopping bad habits. The author is funny and gives insight into her own life and pitfalls, which I enjoyed reading.

This book is also great for teachers, or parents with examples of strategies that work for students.
Mark Tuminello
Like so many non-fiction books, this was more valuable as a catalyst for thought rather than a prescriptive list to follow. That said, this is no cheap book of self-help tips - this is much more than the average motivational speaker schlock.

The book serves more as a lecture - I could imagine the author actually saying these things out loud. Her thoughts on motivation (as well as de-motivation), goal-setting, and how the brain works are very well delivered.
Joielechong
this definitely great explanation book on self help. There are great length and great detail explanation about how we accomplish our goal. Every steps for success in many self help and personal development book are explained in detail in this book.
If you reading Napoleon Hill "Think and Grow Rich" book, this book is best companion book for it.
This is a must have book for everyone who learn and focus on personal development.
Eddie
“Improvement is always possible.” Ch. 12

Heidi Grant Halvorson, Ph. D. has constructed a practical and sensible book on goal setting and why we succeed or fail at reaching our goals. Using her own research as well as research conducted by her peers, Halvorson shares her cogent analysis on topics such as:
- types of goals (promotion-focused vs. prevention-focused)
- what type of mindset one needs to be successful at reaching each type of goal
- motivation (how to motivate ourselves and/or others)
- w
Amanda Marks
Science based self-help. Really smart, inspiring book about qualities successful people share/techniques they employ. Ms. Halverson writes often for Harvard business review and has the science bonafides to back up her claims. Really worth reading… and re-reading. I've given this as gifts.
Boon
With a lot of scientific research backed up, the author has make it clear for us to understand the non-secret path to success. I like the optimistic writing style. The only issue is that it's a bit too long with sometime too much emphasis on the non significant researches. However, I still gave five star for this one as it can be the life-changing book for someone who want to change themselves for better.
Alexander Vorwald
Read this in conjunction with Emotional Intelligence. Get better goals better than do good, better to think why for simple tasks and what next for complex. There are preventative minded people and promotion minded people. Etc etc
Melissa Hazelwood
Depending on the type of goal, you will need a different type of strategy in order to overcome it...this book will give you the knots and bolts of how to succeed and in essence what it takes to be successful. Read it twice!
Lori Ben-ezra
I enjoyed this book that outlines how social psychology research can be applied in real situations. Books like this one tend to get repetitive towards the end and this one isn't any different. The last 50 pages dragged, but still most people will get a few good nuggets of information from this book.
April
I would give it a 4.5 if I could, but it's good enough that I want to buy it. I love advice books that are based on research.
Jerry Jennings
A lot of books are out there related to individuals setting goals and reaching them. This is on that makes a lot of sense to me. Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvlWW3...
Eric
A great book about setting and reaching goals. It also has some good pointers on helping others reach their goals.
Susie
this book is so good I have it on my kindle, as an audiobook I frequently return to and I bought it for a friend.
John
she paints a good picture, sings a good song, and writes a good story. basic psychology here...
good better best
never let it rest
til the good gets better
and the better gets best
Alex
First of all the title is deceiving, as I think it makes the book resemble one of those dime-a-dozen motivational books that promise easy step-by-step recipes to achieve "success in life".

Evidently, this is not the case.

Heidi Grant Halvorson manages to deliver a long lecture about what make one tick in terms of motivation or, for that matter, de-motivation, about the mechanisms of setting goals and how the brain reacts to the way a goal is set.

It's a book full of great information, peppered wit
Melissa
This book was good, but it was a little to academnic for my taste. I listened to it on audiobook and found myself zoning out a lot in the later chapers, especially because I found that the information repeated itself over and over again. I did enjoy the use of studies to back up her analysis- and I really appriciated her insight regarding achieving goals and willpower (basically that you should attempt to achieve one goal at a time and focus your energy/willpower on that, because willpower is a ...more
Leo Polovets
“Succeed” is a terrific book about 1) how to think about goals 2) how to set goals and 3) how to work effectively toward goals. The advice and insights are based on scientific studies (as opposed to old wives’ tales and anecdotes). For example, sometimes it’s good to think about the big picture () while at other times it’s better to think about the details (What do I need to do next?); “Succeed” reveals which situations favor one approach over the other. The book is filled with tons of practical ...more
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment
  • The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It
  • Making Habits, Breaking Habits: Why We Do Things, Why We Don't, and How to Make Any Change Stick
  • Fat, Broke & Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson is a social psychologist who researches, writes, and speaks about the science of motivation. She is the Associate Director of the Motivation Science Center at the Columbia Business School, and author of the best-selling books:

Succeed: How We Can All Reach Our Goals, Nine Things Successful People Do Differently, Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing The World for Success and
More about Heidi Grant Halvorson...
Nine Things Successful People Do Differently Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence The 8 Motivational Challenges Trust Power Ego: The Three Elements of Successful Communication (or, Why No One Understands You and What to Do About It) The Psychology of Goals

“Molden found that when people are rejected (social exclusion that is explicit, active, and direct) they feel a sense of loss that leads to prevention-focused responses. These people feel anxious, withdraw from the situation, and feel regret about things they said or actions they took. When people are simply ignored (social exclusion that is implicit, passive, and indirect) they feel a failure to achieve a social gain, a missed opportunity, which leads them to more promotion-focused responses. They feel sad and dejected but are more likely to attempt reengagement and to regret things they didn’t say and actions they didn’t take.” 0 likes
“Prevention-minded people, on the other hand, are cautious. They want to be sure they saw the deer before they shoot, rather than risk making a mistake. They really hate false alarms, or taking a chance and having it turn out to be wrong. So in pursuit of prevention goals, they tend to say “no” more, or have what psychologists call a conservative bias. They don’t shoot—they keep waiting. They won’t scare away the deer or waste any ammunition, but they may come home empty-handed a little more often.” 0 likes