Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals

Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Just in time for New Year's resolutions, learn how to reach your goals-finally-by overcoming the many hurdles that have defeated you before.

Most of us have no idea why we fail to reach our goals. Now Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson, a rising star in the field of social psychology shows us how to overcome the hurdles that have defeated us before.

Dr. Grant Halvorson offers insi

Audio CD, 1 page
Published December 1st 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks

Mitton
This is NOT a clichéd self-help book.

In a similar vein to Piers Steele’s book “The Procrastination Equation” and Kelly McGonigal’s “Maximum Willpower” Heidi Grant Halvorson’s “Succeed” is written by an academic (day-job when not scribbling is that of a Social Psychologist).
And just like those other two books, Grant Havorson’s ”Succeed” distils the results of published dry academic research papers (that no one outside of an academic institution would be likely to get their hands on or understand...more
Lance
It wasn't so much the purple cover that intrigued me (I mean, purple is the default wardrobe color for comic book villians) as it was the subtitle: How We Can Reach Our Goals. I had always been troubled that every year I make goals and only achieve a portion of the them. No matter what changes I seem to make, I could never get at the real root of the problem because the percentage of unmet goals would remain more or less constant year after year.

Now I have some answers. Halverson is a social psy...more
Michele
I'm definitely a goal-oriented person, so I wondered how reading yet another book on the subject might help me do even better at setting/achieving goals. After all, how complicated can it be, right? Even still, I did glean some useful insight that I hadn't really considered before like, "Don't visualize success. Instead, visualize the steps you will take in order to succeed."

I enjoyed Halvorson's research-based study of goals, though I did occasionally get bored with the details and ended up ski...more
James Shoop
I really liked this book. It didn't have the cheesy, hokey feel that most self-improvement books I've read do. The author's style was very personal and non-preachy- which is rare for books written by professionals- and the topics were addressed in a very orderly fashion, which is also rare. Her constant allusions to her dislike of exercise were so predictable and not-funny that they were hilarious in a weird sort of way...
Much more importantly, though, is the content! The book is very well rese...more
Angela Alcorn
I just found this book from an article on bright young girls. I've heard similar things about bright kids in general, but never thought about how easily it might apply more to girls than boys. And if you've ever tried to control a classroom of kids, you know how easily this can be true.

All kids need to be reminded that effort-based learning is required, not that there's some "smart/not smart" or "good at this/not good at this" switch in place.
Lu
Dr. Halvorson has written a book that addressed a big gap in my goal setting practice that I didn't even know existed.

There are many type of goals and rewards. This book clearly illustrated the difference between the types, and most importantly, defined which type of goals should apply to which type of situations.

The first couple of chapters alone on "why" and "what" of goals are worth the book price alone.

I also like how the author uses her personal stories to illustrate her points.

Highly recom...more
Nancy
The tipoff in this book comes in the Forward, where Carol Dweck (who was the author's mentor) compliments Grant Halvorson on the research she selected to shape the book: Dweck's own work. So if you're looking for a book to "extend" Dweck's mindset theory, then beef it up with some reheated studies on willpower being a muscle, and positive thinking being a trap, this is your book.

The tone is chatty, just short of the Exclamation Point!! school of self-help writing. But where I got off the bus was...more
Jina
If Halvorson's book Focus gets a bit repetitive because the author is covering one finding over and over again, Succeed feels the opposite: a bit breathless because Halvorson is now trying to cover several findings to make a comprehensive book about motivation and goals. Despite that, I think the information within is very good. Halvorson covers a lot of ideas that are more exhaustively explored elsewhere: for example, that self-control is like a muscle (Roy Baumeister in Willpower), that our li...more
Daniel
Leitura recomendada para todo coach e pessoa orientada a metas e objetivos (donos de metas).

Traz novidades importantes para abordar o processo de elaboração e execução de uma meta. Justifica a ferramenta SMART (sem citá-la), principalmente porque devemos os elementos de Ação, Relevância e Tempo.

O argumento principal é: nenhuma meta deve ser abordada da mesma maneira. Uma meta depende de dois fatores:
- sua orientação pessoal em relação ao sucesso (e consequentemente ao fracasso)
- e do tipo de m...more
Zewei
In 'Succeed', Dr. Heidi Grant Halvarson attempts to bridge the fields of social psychology and personal development. Throughout the book, she artfully draws upon numerous studies exploring the topics of motivation and achievement. This jaunt through the latest scientific research is in itself an eye-opener. But Dr. Halvarson goes further: from this rich trove of empirical data, she teases out many concrete, actionable steps that we can all take to accomplish our goals. She also introduces severa...more
William
Heidi Grant Halvorson has written an unusual book on how we can reach our goals. What makes it unusual is that her book is entirely based on research studies available in the academic psychology literature. I generally appreciate knowing the context or background of why I'm being told to do certain things, so I really appreciated this. This explanation is especially valuable where she makes recommendations that, while based on the empirical literature, are counter-intutive or against received wi...more
Liz DeCoster
Another psychological-research-based look at self-improvement, like 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot, Dr Grant Halvorson looks at different factors that affect how we set, approach and understand our goals. Part of the book promotes already widespread advice for how to reach your goals, such as 'practice your self-control' and 'set specific milestones.' Early sections of the book, which I found more interesting, covered attitudinal differences such as entity vs incremental theory (do you...more
Joielechong
this definitely great explanation book on self help. There are great length and great detail explanation about how we accomplish our goal. Every steps for success in many self help and personal development book are explained in detail in this book.
If you reading Napoleon Hill "Think and Grow Rich" book, this book is best companion book for it.
This is a must have book for everyone who learn and focus on personal development.
Eddie
“Improvement is always possible.” Ch. 12

Heidi Grant Halvorson, Ph. D. has constructed a practical and sensible book on goal setting and why we succeed or fail at reaching our goals. Using her own research as well as research conducted by her peers, Halvorson shares her cogent analysis on topics such as:
- types of goals (promotion-focused vs. prevention-focused)
- what type of mindset one needs to be successful at reaching each type of goal
- motivation (how to motivate ourselves and/or others)
- w...more
Amanda Marks
Science based self-help. Really smart, inspiring book about qualities successful people share/techniques they employ. Ms. Halverson writes often for Harvard business review and has the science bonafides to back up her claims. Really worth reading… and re-reading. I've given this as gifts.
Alexander Vorwald
Read this in conjunction with Emotional Intelligence. Get better goals better than do good, better to think why for simple tasks and what next for complex. There are preventative minded people and promotion minded people. Etc etc
April
I would give it a 4.5 if I could, but it's good enough that I want to buy it. I love advice books that are based on research.
Jerry Jennings
A lot of books are out there related to individuals setting goals and reaching them. This is on that makes a lot of sense to me. Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvlWW3...
Alex
First of all the title is deceiving, as I think it makes the book resemble one of those dime-a-dozen motivational books that promise easy step-by-step recipes to achieve "success in life".

Evidently, this is not the case.

Heidi Grant Halvorson manages to deliver a long lecture about what make one tick in terms of motivation or, for that matter, de-motivation, about the mechanisms of setting goals and how the brain reacts to the way a goal is set.

It's a book full of great information, peppered wit...more
Melissa
This book was good, but it was a little to academnic for my taste. I listened to it on audiobook and found myself zoning out a lot in the later chapers, especially because I found that the information repeated itself over and over again. I did enjoy the use of studies to back up her analysis- and I really appriciated her insight regarding achieving goals and willpower (basically that you should attempt to achieve one goal at a time and focus your energy/willpower on that, because willpower is a...more
Leo Polovets
“Succeed” is a terrific book about 1) how to think about goals 2) how to set goals and 3) how to work effectively toward goals. The advice and insights are based on scientific studies (as opposed to old wives’ tales and anecdotes). For example, sometimes it’s good to think about the big picture () while at other times it’s better to think about the details (What do I need to do next?); “Succeed” reveals which situations favor one approach over the other. The book is filled with tons of practical...more
Michelle
Not vapid self-help. Good organization of material. Provides details of academic research and offers strategies based on that research. Doesn't label one way "bad" and the other way "good." Instead, provides examples of when you want to use one way versus the other. Gives you an opportunity to discover your own predilections in various areas, which is important. Good for both personal life and work. There's a chapter on setting goals for other people and a chapter about giving feedback.
Ciaobella
Halvorson does an excellent job at explaining the various aspects of goal setting, attainment, management and motivation from a research perspective. This knowledge is important for all of us, and I heartily recommend "Succeed" to everyone high school and up. It's available in audio format, which may make it easier to absorb for some people. However, her conversational tone and mix of research with practical and personal examples definitely make this an enjoyable read.
AmblingBooks
"Once every ten years or so, someone says something original in the area of personal development.�Heidi Grant Halvorson is that someone. If you have ever failed at something or are seeking to accomplish something,�Succeed�is a must read." � Matthew Kelly,�New York Times�bestselling author of�The Rhythm of Life�and�The Dream Manager

Listen to Succeed on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
David Glad
Very nice and how-to in nature. Figured this would be worthwhile reading after seeing her critique in the Harvard Business Review of the (largely silly) self-esteem movement, that seems to stress to sticking to what you are mostly good at and going for the (often false) sense of accomplishment rather than working toward excellence and coldly analyzing progress made,

Would recommend alongside Willpower: Recovering the Greatest Human Instinct as well as The Power of Habit.
dara
As usual , before i enter new year, i read one of kind this book. actually this book is pretty amazing, because the writer abundant with scientific prove for what she suggest ( i love fact). it's really different from another self help book that I've read. And the are a lot tools that you can use to reach your goal, Think Why, be better, autonomous and make it hard :)
Bob Collins
Terrific book on how to set goals with practical, research based advice. Very well done. Heidi was a Keynote speaker for the last day of the 2012 ASTD Conference. I knew she had worked with Carol Dwek (Mindset) and was really looking forward to her presentation. She did not disappoint. Now that I've read it, it is time to really study it! And, put it into practice!
Mace
I have to be honest, this book kind of blew my mind.

I was expecting a rote self-help book, but instead was confronted by the workings and studies of a social psychologist. And it's really changed how I think about my own abilities. I am honestly sad I didn't know about her work when I was in my teens/early 20s. But I'm happy I can take this information forward with me.
Fatima Broom
This was my bed time book (audio) last week. I didn’t like the narrator at all. I thought she was slow. This is not my first book on the subject and so only few things were new to me. I also thought there were repetitions sometimes (it could be the fact the narrator was extremely slow). I liked the chapter on the distinction between “get better” vs “be good” goals.
Victor Barger
Jul 30, 2012 Victor Barger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, but especially teachers and managers.
This is, without question, one of the best research-based books I have read. Halvorson does an outstanding job of making psychological research on motivation and goal attainment accessible to the layperson. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get better at achieving their goals or helping others achieve theirs.
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • This Year I Will...: How to Finally Change a Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • The Hidden Brain: How Our Unconscious Minds Elect Presidents, Control Markets, Wage Wars, and Save Our Lives
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It
  • Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • The Pursuit of Perfect: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Start Living a Richer, Happier Life
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite
  • Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
  • The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
  • Achieve Anything in Just One Year: Be Inspired Daily to Live Your Dreams and Accomplish Your Goals
Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson is a social psychologist who researches, writes, and speaks about the science of motivation. She is the Associate Director of the Motivation Science Center at the Columbia Business School, and author of the best-selling books:

Succeed: How We Can All Reach Our Goals, Nine Things Successful People Do Differently, Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing The World for Success and...more
More about Heidi Grant Halvorson...
Nine Things Successful People Do Differently Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence The 8 Motivational Challenges Trust Power Ego: The Three Elements of Successful Communication (or, Why No One Understands You and What to Do About It) The Psychology of Goals