Start by marking “How to Leave Twitter” as Want to Read:
How to Leave Twitter

How to Leave Twitter

Three years ago columnist and author Grace Dent joined new social network site Twitter, mainly as a place to dump her surplus jokes, rant about garbage TV and post exclusive j-pegs of her hot new toenail-varnish. But as every 're-tweet' and 'Follow Friday' saw her audience figures soar by tens of thousands, Dent found herself centre-stage in an all-consuming highly ...more
Published July 21st 2011 by Faber and Faber (first published July 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How to Leave Twitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Leave Twitter

Sophie
Aug 09, 2011 Sophie rated it it was ok
As a Twitter addict I had high hopes for this book but unfortunately it didn't quite deliver. Dent adopts the (very much self-appointed) role of the people's Twitter spokesperson, and a large portion of the book consists of her laying down the law regarding what people should and should not use the website for, with the air of someone who is under the impression that her word ought to be gospel.

The worst offence she commits is to devote pages upon pages to quoting what she considers to be her fu
Nicola
Sep 25, 2011 Nicola rated it liked it
How to Leave Twitter does not go very far to explain how to leave Twitter. And rightly so, because Grace Dent is very much still on it. In both senses of the term.

What How to Leave Twitter does do is give a brief and humorous guide to the social network (or "microblogging" network, as it is less and less frequently termed) some insight in how to use it well, and an array of wittily crated thoughts and experiences of Grace Dent's in her 3 years of using the website. In fact, a tidbit: she joined
Tria
Nov 16, 2012 Tria rated it did not like it
No. Just no. The title was intriguing. The book itself is 90% total rubbish. And no, I would NOT recommend it to people thinking about joining Twitter. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

It basically involves Grace Dent slagging off most other Twitter users with a cringe-inducing level of arrogance and explaining how and why Twitter is a horrible place and that the majority of people on it are annoying/boring and nearly everything tweeted there sucks. And then admitting she's addicted anyway.

If t
Christine Blachford
Aug 23, 2011 Christine Blachford rated it liked it
I'd spotted this book creeping up the charts but ignored it, because I figured it was a rant about how Twitter is bad for the world. A recommendation changed my mind and so I gave it a go.

As it turns out, it is a rant against Twitter, but only from a self-confessed Twitter addict. Grace Dent loves and uses Twitter a lot, and has plenty of experience to guide new and old users through the weird world of the microblogging social network.

I felt the book had highs and lows. I particularly liked the
Raz
Jan 19, 2012 Raz rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, comedy
It might sound ridiculous to say that I was really excited to read this book, but I was! I really love Grace Dent, having read her TV columns for a few years in the Guardian. And yes, I follow her on Twitter.

It was a dry, witty book that definitely had some well-observed pieces about the various people you find in the Twittersphere. This book was funny, but didn't quite live up to my expectations. As I was nearing the end my boyfriend asked me whether I was finding it funny. I asked why, and he
Morag
Mar 02, 2016 Morag rated it it was ok
'Read' this as an audiobook as part of my 'need something lightweight and humorous to listen to at bedtime' bookshelf. I really love Grace Dent's writing and her dry sense of humour - and maybe if I'd read it myself rather than listen to her, I'd have got on better with this book. Unfortunately GD's monotone delivery and glottal stop references to twi'r just got in the way. Probably much more pertinently, as someone who's an active user of social media I should have known better than to read a ...more
Jay
Aug 07, 2013 Jay rated it did not like it
I thought I liked Grace Dent.
However this is a truly abyssmal excuse for a book. For a good 30 pages she fills space with lists, which read like
1. I use twitter
2. I think of twitter a lot
3. If you are boring me.... I will be thinking of twitter!!!!!!!1
4. Before I was on twitter I did not know what it was like...
and so on and so forth, for such an insufferable amount of time and in such an unfunny way that you begin to wonder whether the book is not in fact a book, rather a horrific experiment to
Karen
Aug 19, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, non-fiction
I picked this book up in the library for 3 reasons:

1) To educate myself in the phenomenon I have studiously ignored thus far;

2) To strengthen my resolve to keep my facebook account disabled; although there have been benefits by the sackful (I now have a skincare routine. I have met up with 4 friends in the past week - in the flesh! I have avoided unwise drunken chats with my ex. My essays are ... um, not quite finished yet. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day...) I do miss it terribly;

and 3) An en
Amy Jones
Jul 25, 2011 Amy Jones rated it liked it
A very funny book, I was genuinely giggling out loud.

It would have been higher, but in the section about how great women on Twitter are it goes off into a slight rant about women, or the lack thereof, in the media. Which is fair enough and very well written, but it wasn't really "right" in the middle of a book about Twitter.

If you're a Twitter user, read it and laugh loudly. If you're not, read it and you probably won't understand any of it.
Michael
Sep 07, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A funny rant about joining, using, and how to leave Twitter. I found towards the end I was losing interest, but it was funny in places, and raised a smile in other places. It is an accurate description of Twitter, and I'm glad I left Twitter a few weeks ago; and that's what made me pick this up at a local charity store for a pound. At 200 pages it's a short and light read. It's funny if you've experienced the same things Dent has, but Dent mainly just had a dig at other users.
Ingrid
Mar 22, 2015 Ingrid rated it really liked it
This was really funny and made me laugh a lot. It's a bit dated now but it was an enjoyable read :) not actually much a guide to leaving Twitter as it lists all the foibles and loveable hateable things about it. Still I enjoyed it, plenty of feminist slant a++
Bernard O'Leary
Apr 04, 2016 Bernard O'Leary rated it liked it
Saturday magazine article stretched thinly over 200 pages. It's from 2011 though, so it might make you nostalgic for those halcyon days before #GamerGate.
Lubna
Nov 13, 2016 Lubna rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
The title was very catchy and the beginning of the book gave me expectations, but then it just went horribly wrong.
It's supposed to be a light , funny book , but tbh It didn't make me laugh at all.
Dominic Stevenson
Jul 03, 2013 Dominic Stevenson rated it liked it
Grace Dent’s latest literary offering is a 198 page hug. The kind of hug you get from your Mum just after she has told you off for being very bad indeed. A hug that knows you couldn’t help yourself, couldn’t stop yourself from inflicting pain that turns into self-loathing.

‘How to leave twitter – My time as queen of the universe and why this must stop’ is a how to kit for knowing when you have just taken things a little bit too far and have become detached from real life.

The book begins with a li
Oliver
Apr 24, 2013 Oliver rated it it was ok
Madonna’s clever isn’t she? She made records like Vogue and Music with the title right there, repeating in the chorus. They aren’t great records beyond their 15 minutes of fame, but whenever some tired TV/radio journalist needs to run a news story about fashion or music, you can pretty much guarantee they’ll roll out those tunes in the background. Madge has presumably grown rich on the royalties. “Papa don’t Preach” and “Like a Virgin” are banished to drunken uncle dances at weddings, but Music ...more
Zarina
Jul 21, 2011 Zarina rated it really liked it
How To Leave Twitter is a witty, often laugh out loud funny (and not at all sassy) novel aimed at Twitter users that can't go five minutes without Tweeting their Tweeps. Eerily familiar it was almost as if author Grace Dent had been rooting around in my head (or more likely my Twitter account) for funny anecdotes. I mean, how else does she know about my habit of spending hours on the website with a full bladder because I simply cannot pry my eyes away from the screen for the minute it might take ...more
Paul
Apr 15, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
As someone who has an often fluid relationship with the world’s greatest networking site I wasn’t sure what I’d make of this going in. The title suggests a missive against social networking and yet it comes from someone who a quick check reveals is still very much ‘on Twitter.’ I also saw that many reviewers found the book preachy and dictatorial over how should behave on Twitter, and non-tweeters might find it all too dense and difficult to get into.

I can kind of see their point to an extent, b
Vivienne
Aug 10, 2011 Vivienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Three years ago Grace Dent joined Twitter and after some hesitation found herself addicted to the all consuming social networking site. How to Leave Twitter (Subtitled: My Time as Queen of the Universe and Why This Must Stop) is her wickedly witty guide to Twitter, that is not only hilarious but actually quite informative.

Dent advises on the stages of Twitter addiction (How to Join Twitter) as well as how to justify your Twitter addiction to non-Tweeting friends and family (I found this section
Heidi
Aug 14, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok
This book made me glad I never tried Twitter. I thought checking Facebook a few times a day was excessive. But there are actually people in the world--lots of them--who sit on the couch watching TV and tweet to the world at large about the program. I suddenly feel like I have a life.

I found this book hard to read. Partly this was because, not having used Twitter, I'm unfamiliar with any of the terminology--and there is a LOT of terminology. But I also think the author finds her own boisterous in
Alice
Sep 08, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Oh my, two 5/5 ratings in one week; I don't want to be perceived as easy.

But I genuinely loved this book and will be recommending it to anyone who has any kind of understanding of Twitter (read: not my mother). Oh, Grace Dent. You used to just be that person who Emma Kennedy was friends with and who tweeted all the time, but now you are that hilarious woman who has far more evolved theories on feminism than I do and who pointed out, quite rightly, that on Twitter "I feel something that I feel ve
Kate
Jan 12, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Do you use Twitter? If the answer is 'No' then this book probably isn't for you.

That is... unless you're caught up in the middle of a tediously niggling 'Should I start using Twitter?' procrastination-fest, in which case I would suggest that you DO read this book. And then I suggest you make your mind up, one way or another, because it really isn't THAT tough a question. *eye roll*

If you do use Twitter and follow Grace Dent then you won't need me to tell you how enjoyable this book is because, n
Katya Vinogradova
Mar 09, 2012 Katya Vinogradova rated it liked it
Recommends it for: tweeters
Shelves: british, non-fiction
This book describes a life cycle of a tweeter, from the moment of the first nervous tweet, to enchantment, to illusions of grandeur, to reaching a stage of annoying the beejesus out of your followers, to disillusionment, to rehab. The author has gone through these stages "117 times", so she knows what she's talking about. And if you follow her lead, so will you.
On the whole, I enjoyed this book. It was funny (up to the point of snorting on the metro) and brimming with enthusiasm for the texts-th
Joanna
Oct 18, 2011 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am both an avid twitter fan, and follower of @gracedent so upon seeing a tweet in my feed from @emmak67 I immediately got onto the kindle store to check it out. The book isn't out in paper/hardback just yet- it has had an earlier release on kindle.

This book is a hilarious account of twitter, the types of people you get on it and the way the community interacts. Dent has a very dry and honest style which had me laughing from start to finish!

If you're not a twitter user, this probably isn't for
Godzilla
I picked this up on a whim, my only Twitter knowledge being that everyone bangs on about it!

The book serves as a wry criticism/cautionary tale of the world of Twitter.

It inspired me to dip my toe into it further, and I can concur that there are a lot of pitfalls, needy wannabes and celebrities full of their own self importance out there.

The book itself reads more like a chat with a friend, Grace Dent has a warm and engaging style of writing.

If you're already immersed in the world of Twitter I do
Jessica
Sep 25, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok
It's a really accurate account ofTwitter, or more specifically Grace's experience on Twitter. It was occasionally enjoyable but mainly made me think how Twitter's short and punchy one liners really suit Grace, an effect she somewhat replicates in her book with numerical lists and lots of bullet points. If you're really new to twitter it could be useful, however I'm not sure if you were new to it you'd have the interest to sustain your reading. For anyone else I'd just say, follow @gracedent on ...more
Vikki
May 21, 2012 Vikki rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was fun, it’s supposed to be fun, I didn’t expect anything else. I think you definitely have be a Twitter user to appreciate a lot of it, but why read it otherwise. The first chapter ‘100 things about me and Twitter’ was laugh-out-loud-on-public-transport hilarious. Although the rest of the chapters were not as funny and some of the look-what-I-tweeted lists were a bit annoying, it continued to make me smile and come out with a few “that is so true”s.
Good light reading.
Mat
Aug 14, 2011 Mat rated it liked it
Picked up this book after attending a QA session with the author. I feel that both then and in the book, she is able to articulate the draw that Twitter has for people, in a way anyone can understand. As someone who uses Twitter on a daily basis some parts of the book really made me chuckle, whilst others such as the section on celebrities seemed unnecessary and just filler. Definitely going to lend the book to my friends who don't get Twitter.
Jolyon Tuck
May 03, 2013 Jolyon Tuck rated it it was ok
So I picked this one up thinking that I was addicted to Twitter. Oddly, I thought the book would help me out. In a sense it has. I realised I wasn't addicted at all, and that there are people who have it far worse than me! There are laughs along the way and familiar characters, but this was something and nothing. It is clear that I am one of the many kinds of Twitter users that Grace Dent can't stand. But it doesn't matter.
Giney
Feb 06, 2014 Giney rated it liked it
A quick and enjoyable read. Dent has an ease, charm and wit to her writing which works as well here as it does in her other opinion pieces.

There are no earth shattering revelations, or even a huge amount of new/eye-opening information, but then I am a proper twitter-addict myself, so there wouldn't be...Still it is a well written observation on the effect Twitter has had on many of us.

If anything, this made me want to read more Dent, which can't be a bad thing
Rachael Phillips
Jul 08, 2012 Rachael Phillips rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love twitter
This has been in my reading list since October, I started the first few pages and didn't feel much of a desire to continue to read. However, I picked it up again a few days ago and really got in to it. It's like a conversation with a friend - in fact, if some of my skype conversations were transcribed it would probably read much like this book.

Really enjoyed it, love Grace Dent's style of writing and if you're a twitter user then you'll be lol'ing and guffaw'ing all over the place.
What's everyone reading over the bank holiday? 1 1 Aug 23, 2013 03:08AM
  • Hope & Glory: The Days That Made Britain
  • God Collar
  • Going to Sea in a Sieve
  • All Cheeses Great and Small: A Not So Everyday Story of Country Folk
  • The Hell of It All
  • The North (And Almost Everything In It)
  • Becoming Johnny Vegas
  • Huorasatu
  • Defending The Guilty: Truth And Lies In The Criminal Courtroom
  • Etc Etc Amen
  • Blood Tears
  • Hive Monkey (Ack-Ack Macaque, #2)
Grace Dent is one of the hottest names in teen fiction right now. No other author nails how young people REALLY speak and behave. In fact, the many 1000s of SBW fans refuse to believe that the vivid Essex sensation is a fictional character!

Grace says: ‘....kids who claim to have never read anything longer than a text message are ploughing through my books nagging me for the next one. This makes m
More about Grace Dent...