Start by marking “Evidence That Demands a Verdict” as Want to Read:
Evidence That Demands a Verdict

Evidence That Demands a Verdict

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  2,198 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A classic, authoritative defense of Christianity containing arguments from the best apologetics of the ages. Scholarly, intelligent resposes for those who question or attack the basis of Christian faith.
Paperback
Published December 1st 1986 by Nelsonword Publishing Group (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Evidence That Demands a Verdict, please sign up.

MyNameIsTim If archaeologists had discovered Christ's body it would prove that Christianity isn't true. Of course in this case the lack of evidence does not…moreIf archaeologists had discovered Christ's body it would prove that Christianity isn't true. Of course in this case the lack of evidence does not necessarily prove that the Bible is true because there is so little evidence about the ancient world in general. (less)

Manny
Mar 11, 2009 Manny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not proven.

And I really got tired of him constantly referring to Christian apologists as "the famous such-and-such". If they're all so famous, how come I've never heard of them?
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2011 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a teenager, I read this to help strengthen my faith but found it to be full of logical fallacies. After reading this, I wondered why a leading apologetic book had to use fallacious arguments as supposed evidence for faith. This led to deeper examination and I have still yet to find any good evidence for Christian beliefs.
Terry Morgan
May 22, 2012 Terry Morgan rated it it was amazing
Have read this more than once, and several revisions. This is not a casual read. It is written more like a source book, or a thesis on the premises of who was Jesus Christ, and the claims of the Bible. Excellent read!
Jen
Apr 01, 2009 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schmutzwasser
The verdict is in. This book is schmutzwasser. And I don't have to prove that it is, since he doesn't really prove his points, either.
Denise
Best thing I can say is that Mr. McDowell has given an honest effort in gathering all the information he feels justifies his beliefs. The title of the book is misleading. Despite the impressive number of quotes and apologetics, evidence is lacking. This book suffers profusely from circular reasoning, "facts" with no support, and sources that don't matter. I love C.S. Lewis too, that doesn't mean his opinion carries any weight.
David Sarkies
Jan 18, 2013 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christians and Non-Christians alike
Recommended to David by: My Church
Shelves: christian
Not the most objective book
18 January 2013

I have noticed that this book receives some bad responses, but then that is not surprising when you have a book that is purporting to outline all of the evidence supporting the authenticity of Christianity. Unfortunately it has been a while since I read it but it is one of those books that ordered as notes as opposed to being written in prose to make it easier see the evidence that McDowell agrues. However, the problem, as one person suggested, is that
Gerald Curtis
May 24, 2014 Gerald Curtis rated it it was amazing
This was my second reading.

I love this book, written in defense of Christianity by a former doubter, now turned apologist.

It is an amazing collection of evidence from history, world experts and even skeptics, and hundreds of presentations of logic and debate that are overwhelmingly compelling.

Rock Rockwell
Oct 07, 2007 Rock Rockwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Evidential apologetics to strengthen the faith of Christians. A good 'resource' to keep on your shelf.
Pete Bartel
Apr 17, 2012 Pete Bartel rated it really liked it
Excellent arguments for Christianity based on history.
Rick
Jul 30, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I read it page by page this is more of a reference resource. The chapter on the resurrection is worth the price of the entire book.
Sara
Jul 25, 2013 Sara rated it did not like it
When this showed up today as one of my recommendations, I remembered I read this book many, many years ago. Don't remember much about it and nowadays I don't think I'd be impressed with it.
Opa
Sep 15, 2009 Opa rated it it was amazing
Great reference book.
Michael
Dec 07, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Great apologetics reference with lots of fascinating material.
Bro
Aug 03, 2011 Bro rated it really liked it
you need this book in your library! You cannot find a more articulate defense of the truth.
Ashish Jaituni
Apr 12, 2012 Ashish Jaituni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
This is one book every apologist must have! It contains all the topics required by an apologist to make a case for Christianity.
Bill
Dec 27, 2010 Bill rated it did not like it
The worst of Christian apologetics. If taken seriously, it accomplishes the exact opposite of the authors goal.
Kenneth
Jun 23, 2009 Kenneth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize there are so many evidences for the truth of the Bible and the Christian faith. The evidences are too many to list.
Apryl Anderson
Mar 26, 2012 Apryl Anderson rated it really liked it
Evidence that Josh McDowell did his homework. I'd give it an A+ if it weren't so scholarly and dull. McDowell gives us the bare bones, it's up to the individual to bring faith to life.
Helen
Jun 23, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
Well, it has taken me a year to finish this book. Not because it was bad, or poorly written. There was a lot of content to take in, a lot of things to check against other sources, and a lot of things to pray over. This book has strengthened my resolve in the validity of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, as well as the validity of the content of the Bible as a whole. I recommend it for anyone who has questions about their faith, and anyone prejudiced against it.
James
Jun 01, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I first read this, but all-in-all I thought it was a very well written and researched book on Christian apologetics. I am not one to say that the Bible and science clash, and McDowell doesn't think so either. Many have opposed this book, saying it did not get all the facts right, but that is all stipulation. No one has it all right. He makes a big claim here and offers evidence to substantiate that evidence. For that I give the book five stars.
David Runyon
Feb 26, 2015 David Runyon rated it really liked it
There's a lot of interesting stuff here. I'd like to read the updated version, as some of the material in this edition is a little dusty. It seems overly biased in some spots, and the Christian faith still requires faith, but overall this is a valuable resource for the Christian seeking more information about the faith or the agnostic open to exploring Christianity's claims.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it

Tough slog, hence 3 stars, but it also has 5 stars in so much great information. I too hope to not only finish reading this tome but also absorb at least part of the indisputable information brought together by McDowell.
Kathyanngallagher
Jun 21, 2015 Kathyanngallagher rated it it was amazing
What an excellent book that "just sticks to the facts ma'am" I read this years ago and can't wait to read the follow up versions. When reading the Bible, not knowing the culture at the time can hinder some of the revelations that the Bible is eager for us all to know. Simply, an excellent read.
Angel
Oct 21, 2007 Angel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in apologetics
Hard to follow at times, but contained some hard to find condensed biographical references to historical, archeological, biblical and other experts in their respective fields.
Michaël Wertenberg
Jul 15, 2016 Michaël Wertenberg rated it did not like it
Wow.
I was a born-again fundamentalist when I read this book, and I still found it laughable.
It almost reads like a parody.
Nancy
Sep 03, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I read this book while taking the course Christianity Explored at my church. A great book. a bit academic.
Samuel Sammy
Jan 11, 2017 Samuel Sammy rated it it was amazing
The approach in this book is comprehensive. I felt good reading it. I will read it a few more times. Along the pages I came across several other titles of great interest. Unless you are just obstinate against this evidence, the verdict is clear.
Mark Schneider
Nov 22, 2016 Mark Schneider rated it it was amazing
There are answers to the a questions you have about the God of the Bible. This book gives you a very thorough and well researched start on finding those answers.
Marianne
Sep 12, 2011 Marianne rated it liked it
Many years ago I saw a video series based on this book. I not only enjoyed the series I learned a LOT! Naturally, I ran out and bought the two volume set thinking I'd get the same concise, well-documented information in book form. I was disappointed to discover that these books are more of an academic outline -- fine for a researcher who wants all his ducks in a row but hardly "readable". So, yeah, the info is all there if you want to wade through the massive outline, but this is not a book I ca ...more
MyNameIsTim
Apr 07, 2016 MyNameIsTim rated it really liked it
As a semi-trained historian the first hundred pages or so were fascinating. The author firmly establishes, with irrefutable facts, figures, and support from non-biblical sources, that the Bible is as reliable of a historical document as anything that exists from before the invention of the printing press.

After this section, the arguments become more philosophical than evidence-based, and thus are inherently less convincing for those interested in "evidence that demands a verdict." However it's s
  • Know Why You Believe
  • Amplified Bible
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • Who Moved the Stone?
  • Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
As a young man, Josh McDowell considered himself an agnostic. He truly believed that Christianity was worthless. However, when challenged to intellectually examine the claims of Christianity, Josh discovered compelling, overwhelming evidence for the reliability of the Christian faith. After trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, Josh’s life changed dramatically as he experienced the power of ...more
More about Josh McDowell...