Start by marking “Judas Child” as Want to Read:
Judas Child

Judas Child

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,981 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Sadie Green's purple bicycle was found abandoned at the bus stop. Then her friend, Gwen, disappeared, which led the police to propose a runaway theory to the press. But State Police Investigator Rouge Kendall wasn't convinced. On a barstool in Dame's tavern, where Kendall spent a little too much time, he remembered his own mother, begging for the life of his twin sister, S ...more
Paperback
Published October 28th 1999 by Arrow (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Judas Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judas Child

Jonetta
Two 10-year old girls disappear one afternoon from a small, upstate New York village town. The investigation resurrects the lives of those involved in a similar case from 15-years ago and involves local, state and federal law enforcement departments and agencies.

This is an extraordinary story with vividly drawn characters and venues. Heroes aren't always completely virtuous and morally challenged individuals can't be tossed aside. It's a tough subject matter that can be disturbing at times. I f
Maria João Fernandes
"Deve ser reconfortante estarmos apaixonados por nós próprios. Não há o medo da rejeição - nunca."

O'Connell conta-nos uma história sobre um assassino de crianças, ao mesmo tempo que faz uma análise, mais ou menos profunda, do comportamento humano.

Duas raparigas desaparecem: uma filha de importantes figuras políticas e outra filha de uma família normal. Ambas mais perspicazes e criativas que as crianças da sua idade. Na investigação deste caso destacam-se o policia Rouge Kendall e a psicóloga for
Joyce Lagow
Two 10 year old girls are missing in a small village in New York days before Christmas, and the fear is that a serial pedophile/killer has kidnapped the two girls. It is a brutal reminder for Detective Rouge Kendall, whose twin sister was kidnapped and then murdered 15 years before to the day. Supposedly, her killer was apprehended. Btu the convicted man, a priest, is in prison, and no one has any idea what has happened to the two girls.[return][return]That is the bare premise of an absolutely t ...more
Tami Lollis
This book took a bit to get me interested in it, but then it was a page turner. I am still unsure about the ending. Left me wondering if what I thought I read was real or not.
Kristin
Deliciously creepy. And well-done poignancy saves the ending from feeling too Sixth Sense. I'm looking forward to checking out O'Connell's earlier books.
Rachel
scariest frickin' book EVER.
Lara
Feb 18, 2011 Lara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lara by: Kristi Moore
I really did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I figured it would pretty much be your typical, predictable mystery-thriller, blah, blah. And in some ways, it totally turned out that way, but in other ways? Not so much. Certain characters (Ali, Rouge, Sadie and Gwen, Father Paul Marie, Arnie Pyle, Ellen Kendall) are well-written and really interesting and likable. And there are a few really great twists. While I felt like I knew who the culprit was pretty early on, and I turned out ...more
Nancy K
Carol O'Connell amazes me she writes stories and creates character who are amazing and full of surprises. I always have to be in a good place to read her stories for they are dark and show the worst and best in us humans. This story centers on a serial child killer but it centers on survival and on the incredible human mind and spirit to keep on going and to fight for survival. I think what I find wonderful about her books is that I cannot predict what will happen or that I know how these charac ...more
Tonya
I have the strange feeling I have already read this book... but can't be sure. It's not in my Kindle library - so maybe not?!? I digress... I find myself at a loss. I am not really sure what to say. I liked the plot, but it all seemed a bit too shallow for me. You never really got deep into anything... things were just left dangling - like say David, mono-zygotic twins, the "shadow" under the bed, the whole story about the scar... and did they say they "buy" kids for scholarships?? It all seemed ...more
Jeanean
Kwoomac
Not something I would have chosen for myself but I received this as a birthday gift just because it has an orange cover (my current favorite color). Okay, I'm game. For the most part this was a fast-paced story about a small town, a double kidnapping, and a corrupt (and possibly dangerous) ex-cop. While I loved the kidnapping story, I felt a little overwhelmed by the number of characters and some of the side plots.
Amanda Patterson
Terrifying. This was Room before Room was even conceptualised.
An excellent example of third person viewpoint attached. Two girls are abducted. How do they survive? Trapped by a monster in a greenhouse, the one girl protects the other.
So well crafted that the ending will leave you breathless.
Trina Hollis
Really good who dunnit that kept me guessing right to the end and then finishes with an extra surprise I definitely didn't see that coming.
Stacy
Suspensful story of fiction about how child predators will use one child as bait for the real object of their desire. A lot of research must have been done into the mind of child predators and what motivates them. This one will have you on the edge of your seat.
Christi
I thought this was a clever "stand-alone" novel by Carol O'Connell. Some of it was predictable, but other pieces threw me for a loop. I felt guilty reading this one--it does have a certain pulp fiction quality, but it's enjoyable all the same.
Karen Bonilla
I've read this book several times and just love it. The writing is very well done and I found myself on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happens. The ending was an awesome twist that I never suspected.
Julie
Absolutely my favorite mystery writer ever! This book may be 16 years old, but it will knock your socks off. It kept me guessing until the last page of the epilogue!! Carol O'Connell never disappoints!
Kristin
Loved this book. I was completely obsessed with it. Dark and messy. If you like a happy ending, don't read the last chapter. Nothing Carol O'Connell writes ends well with all the loose ending tied up.
Darcy
Enjoyed the characters. Story-line difficult but the read was a good one.
Tasula
So sad I had to blink away tears at the end. Wonderful story about a loathsome subject- sadistic pedophiliac killer. Much of the story is told through the eyes/voice of a kidnapped 10 year old girl. Fortunately for readers, there is little if any detail about the killer's actions. Besides the killer, there is another despicable character- a doctor who puts the ethics of doctor/patient confidentiality above the life of a child. I love all O'Connell's books, the Mallory series and Bone by Bone. I ...more
Sam Woodfield
I was actually surprised by how much I liked this book. I have found that some of O'Connells other novels have been lacking something but this was actually very well constructed with well developed characters. I also really liked the twists which come out at the end - the wrong suspects, the truth about the scar and what really happens in the cellar! I dont think I really expected anything which occurred in the final stages of the novel, which to me is a really well written crime novel.

I will be
Erin
Decent thriller, but I had a little trouble distinguishing some of the characters from each other. The young girls are written well and their voices sound true. Oh, and almost no one involved understood the true nature of doctor/patient privilege, which was rather problematic. So, overall, fine.
Randy
I liked the story. It had some intriguing elements to it, but the writing just left too many gaps. I found that I was often re-reading to find out if I missed key descriptions of what was going on, but I didn't miss it, it just wasn't there.
Jason
I don't know if O'Connell's two worst books being the standalones is because it's harder to care about characters we only "know" for a few hundred pages as opposed to thousands, but the worst they are. This book has pretty shallow characterization - the only characters I cared about at all were the victims, while everyone else had about one dimension of depth. The writing is still relatively good, but it didn't really engage me. The solution to the mystery and the way it tied things together mad ...more
Gretchen Stein
What a good suspense novel...kept me up all night to finish it. For the past 15 years at Christmas two young girls disappear. the first one taken lures the rich protected girl.
Spetty84
Bello, un bel thriller che in alcuni momenti mi ha messo addosso agitazione..scritto bene, con un'ottima suspense e un buon coinvolgimento del lettore..sicuramente proverò a leggere altro di questa scrittrice!
Magic Mary Austin
This stand alone novel was a refreshing change from the Mallory series and shows great range for this author. It kept me turning pages well into the night.
Ginny
I would have given this book 5 stars, but I'm still confused about something that happened in the story. Ergo, I feel I should only give this 4 because of this pretty important thing that happened that wasn't addressed. :-/
*language

I have re-read that specific part of the story a few times and finally caught on. I feel the book should still get 4 stars since it didn't take into account my dimwittedness and elaborate this occurrence.
Jill
I love the Mallory series so much that I almost feel guilty this is my absolute favorite book by Carol O'Connell. She weaves a wonderful story with well chosen words.
Bevjirwin
wow! suspenseful,wicked exciting,dark. way too dark. think i need to read something normal. child killing just not my cup of tea
  • The Barrens
  • The Face-Changers (Jane Whitefield, #4)
  • A Darker Place (Anne Waverly)
  • The Bones of Others (Skye Cree, #1)
  • This Time You Lose
  • Fear Itself
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
  • Acid Row
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
  • A Place of Execution
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • The Immortals (Taylor Jackson, #5)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Deviant Ways
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...
Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1) The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10) Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4) Bone By Bone Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)