The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)

The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation #7)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The apparent suicide of a young Arapaho on sacred ground shocks the populace of the Wind River Reservation. But strange events following the death lead Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley to suspect foul play.
Published August 6th 2002 by Berkley (first published September 1st 2001)

Diana
This is another story in the Vicky Holden/Father O'Malley series. In the church confessional, a man tells Father O'Malley that there could be "other" murders. (he didn't even know there had been any murders) How can he find out who has been murdered and prevent other murders?? The body of a young man, who was on a vision quest, is found and is labeled as a susicide. The Indians on the reservation and Father O'Malley know it was murder, but how they convience the authorities?
Vicki Holden, an Ind...more
Lora
Oy. If the last book's tack was "partner abuse," this one is "can you trust priests?" I've never been a big fan of the whole Sanctity of the Confessional in the first place but I have to admit it's a perfect Jesuitical jumping-off place for a mystery: someone confesses to a crime and promises more to come so what can a priest do to fulfill the vows he's taken? He can't tell the police what he heard, and he can't let the confessor (whom he--naturally--doesn't recognize) get away with committing m...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
What does a priest do when he’s told something in the confessional that could cost lives? How can he alert the authorities without breaking his vow of confidentiality? This is the intriguing opening to “The Thunder Keeper”. It quickly shifts to the city of Denver and another strand... On her way to an appointment Vicky, Father O’Malley’s lawyer friend, sees the man she’s about to meet deliberately run down. No-one will believe her.
A suicide that isn’t a suicide, an accident that refuses to be s...more
Chris Jackson
Reading outside my genre for this one. I enjoy a good crime/murder mystery, so this looked good. The author really did her research with the history and ways of the Indian tribes, and probably went overboard with the streets of Denver. A bit too much "then he turned left on Maple street" detail for my taste there.

The plot was solid, but somewhat predictable. The characters were compelling but kind of shallow in some ways, though I liked the female lead a lot. The "Father John" character irritate...more
Janice
Working my way through the series...love the brief visits to Wyoming and, in this book, to Denver, Colorado where I was born. Brings me warm memories on these cold wet days of March.
Text Addict
A good solid mystery, and quite enjoyable and easy to follow despite the fact that I haven't read the other 6 volumes - always a plus.

The cast includes the Jesuit Father John O'Malley (in Wyoming) and Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden (in Denver), who wind up tackling the same mystery from different angles. Both have personal histories that are brought up periodically but not overdone, and credible reasons for pursuing the issues they're presented with. Nice dramatic endings for each plot line, too...more
Kaye Dewar
A good who dun it withthe backdrop of the. Arapaho rez.
Lane
another good story.
Derk
This book is one of a series, but the first and I think only, one I've read. I was not impressed. The dialog seemed dull, the two main characters making wild guesses that turn out to be true, unlikely action, etc. Maybe, one has to read more of the series to get the flavor and some interest in the characters. As an aside, the book had a number of comments about the flash of lightning following the sound of thunder. I doubt I'll try another one of this series.
Ruth
Deb
7th in the Arapaho series of mysteries w/Father John and Vicky (atty). Vicky had accepted job in Denver at a law firm at end of last book. A murder on the res ties in with the case she is working on in Denver bringing her and Father John back together to solve the mystery before more people are murdered. Vicky decides at the end to come back to the res to be an atty for Indian affairs.
Jeff Dickison
Not the best Coel I have read, still it's okay. Vicky and Father John, working independently miles apart, realize they're on the same case. Too much coincidence for me. Also I figured out the character responsible for the bad doings as soon as he was introduced into the story. Margaret can and has doen better.
Betty410
Vicki, in Denver, gets all entangled in some murders while Father John, back on the res is dealing with a seemingly unrelated murder. But we know it will all come together. And now we are dealing with diamonds on sacred ground. Margaret Coel wraps it all together.
Merceda
Good book. A lot of interesting Indian descriptions and references to their time, and the whiteman's way of keeping time and the Indian's lack of keeping time. References to the ways of naming in Indian as well.
George
#7 in the Wind River mystery series with Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holder. Story features Wyoming Arapaho Indian culture mixed in with the mystery involving murder and why it is going on.
Peg
Another enjoyable murder mystery from Margaret Coel - this time introducing the world of natural resource development as it intersects with wild lands, including reservation land.
June
Nov 20, 2008 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hillerman and Mystery fans
Recommended to June by: Cheryl
Father O'Malley and Vicky Holden try to discover why a man was murdered while on his spirit quest and what connection it has to a hit and run death in Denver.
Linconter
Her books really evoke the spaces of the reservation and the spirit of the Arapaho people and their culture. Such an enjoyable read.
Michelle
Intriguing and a fascinating look at the crossover between Christian ministry and native faith at times. Nice conclusion.
Carolyn
I love all of Margaret Coel's books and have read all I can find. They aren't new, so I sometimes have trouble finding them.
Helen
Another tense, satisfying mystery where the past affects the present, and the sense of place affects everything.
Margaret
Apr 14, 2012 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2012
Liked the characters and the setting, liked the Indian cultural aspects. I would read more in this series.
Molly
I didn't notice that this is in a series. It was a good read, different.
Ron
#7 in the series continues to be an easy read. Good, but not great.
Julie
Have never read a book of hers that I didn't enjoy.
Helen
Bruce Snell
A fun, fast read.
  • The Shaman's Game
  • Cry Dance
  • The Wailing Wind (Navajo Mysteries, #15)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #12)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...
The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2) The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5) The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6) Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)