Start by marking “Core Java, Volume I--Fundamentals: Eighth Edition” as Want to Read:
Core Java, Volume I--Fundamentals: Eighth Edition

Core Java, Volume I--Fundamentals: Eighth Edition

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This revised edition of the classic "Core Java(TM), Volume I-Fundamentals", is the definitive guide to Java for serious programmers who want to put Java to work on real projects. Fully updated for the new Java SE 6 platform, this no-nonsense tutorial and reliable reference illuminates the most important language and library features with thoroughly tested real-world exampl ...more
Published September 11th 2007 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about Core Java, Volume I--Fundamentals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Core Java, Volume I--Fundamentals

Mahmoud
This was the first programming book I've ever read.

I liked it back then, but I didn't like the fact that important concepts like networking in Java were considered to be an "Advanced" topic, while GUI programming was included in the fundamentals book.

But I admit it's a good introductory text to Java and programming in general.
Tallarico
I was looking for a book to get me moderately familiar with the Java programming language and this isn't it. The authors are *way* too opinionated and keep interrupting the flow of the book to note all the differences between Java and C++.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but this is a book about Java! I can understand the periodic interlude, but every page has multiple side notes. *Very* distracting.

This is a book of inside jokes and unfortunately I'm just trying to learn Java here.
Alpha
It covers most aspects of Java, maybe a little shallow on some topics, but already good enough for intermediate level programmers.

It might be a little bit difficult for beginners. The author had to skip some stuff to finish those topics in 800 pages.

The diagrams could be improved according to my personal taste.
Vladyslav
One of the best language books.
The content covers different parts of the Java language from simple things to complex details. I used it during my university Java course and it helped alot, explained everything that regular course left untold.
I would recommend it for anyone who started to learn Java.
Vladimir
Good description of Java programming language and various Java technologies. Sometimes long and verbose, but I think it's good for such book format
Abdelrahman El-tamawy
A very good reference for the basic to intermediate level of java programming.
Ivan
Very good book for everyone who wants to start learning Java!
Alex Ott
Good, but too long description of Java programming language
Marek
Marek is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Paka Wafu
Paka Wafu marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tennisha
Tennisha marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Douglas Shepherd
Douglas Shepherd marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Quintnerdy
Quintnerdy marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rob
Rob is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Desilva
Desilva marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Robert J.
Robert J. marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • C++ Primer
  • MongoDB in Action
  • Perl Best Practices
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • More Exceptional C++: 40 New Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions
  • Programming in Scala
  • Data Structures and Algorithms in Java
  • The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit
  • Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms (2nd Edition)
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Core Java 2, Volume I--Fundamentals (Core Series) Scala for the Impatient Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features Big Java Java SE 8 for the Really Impatient