Idlewild (Idlewild, #1)

Idlewild (Idlewild #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,711 ratings  ·  168 reviews
From a bold new talent comes a smart, stylish near-future thriller that fuses the fierce imagination of The Matrix with the chilling social vision of Minority Report.

Set in the day after tomorrow, Idlewild opens as a young man awakes with amnesia: He cannot remember who he is and doesn't recognize anything around him-all he knows for sure is that someone is trying to kil...more
Published July 6th 2004 by NAL Trade (first published August 8th 2003)

Z
Idlewild starts out part Orson Scott Card, part Neil Gaiman, and part Chuck Palahniuk - so much so that you start to wonder when the author will find his own voice. Gratifyingly, about halfway through, the themes cohere to hit a note that is uniquely Nick Sagan. I finished this book in two days flat and found myself thinking about it and admiring various aspects of it during the time (read: working hours) that I couldn't read it.

Halloween is a special, genetically gifted student at the Idlewild...more
Beem Weeks
This novel surprised me. I am not much of a fan of science fiction, but not knowing this book belonged in that genre, I picked up a copy and settled in for a read. Immediately I felt myself being drawn inside the story. It became one of those stories I couldn't put down, needing to see where the next chapter would lead. The characters are fleshed out and well-written, the plot is solid, and the story remains interesting from start to finish.

In the late twenty-first century a virus has decimated...more
Amy
Hated everything about this book and it took everything I had to finish it.
Deozaan
Apr 11, 2010 Deozaan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Allen, Chad, Kenya,
Recommended to Deozaan by: Challis
I am still reeling from the ending of this book.

In the first chapter or two, I wasn't sure I would like the book. The writing style is different from what I'm used to. It's more a stream-of-consciousness written from the first person. And it starts out extremely vague and confusing. Lots of questions but very few answers, or answers that just bring more questions.

But it's definitely gripping. I read it in one sitting, taking perhaps 5 or 6 hours.

The story unfolds slowly, methodically, and layer...more
Jessi
Ok this is very Sci-Fi, so if thats not your thing then this , this is not your book. A lot of people seemed to have given this a good rating on Goodreads, me not so much.

I hate when a book makes me feel dumb, like I don't get the joke that they are still laughing about 2 pages later.The characters make reference to things that have not been covered in the book,I am sure that this is a tool the author used to show the comradery between the teens it sort of annoyed me.

It was like "Inception" if...more
Keri
When I started reading this, I had a distinct mental image of the exact setting described in the first few pages. And that mental image kept going through the whole novel.

The story, a mix of sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, and loss of innocence is good for YA and adult readers alike. As I was reading, I couldn't decide which it section it fit best in...before I gave up. A good book is a good book so who really cares?

Halloween is our main character and immediately, he's not exactly the best narrator, c...more
Logan K
Idlewild by Nick Sagan is a science fiction and mystery book. I think it is a great page-turner full of suspense and action, and the characters, setting, and story pull you in so you just can not stop reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, and action in books. Idlewild is one of the best books I have ever read.
Idlewild is about a teenage boy named Halloween who wakes up with no memory of who he is. He soon learns that he is in a school that is in virtual re...more
Rich Stoehr
The first 20 or 30 pages of "Idlewild" frankly had me wondering if I should bother reading the rest of the book. The characters and situations seemed just a bit fake, and the early premise seemed trite. Now, having stuck it out and read the whole book, I think that was intentional. The odd beginning sets up expectations for the reader early on, and then the story carries on to improve upon itself almost constantly. By the end, I was left fairly impressed and pleased with a book I hadn't been sur...more
Juan Valera
Sarcasm. Plain, unadulterated self-loathing, nicotine addiction. None of these are good in the grand scheme of things, nor are they good for you. I love them now. Why, I hear you ask? Simple. Halloween likes them. And Halloween is the single most fascinating character I have ever read. I've never smoked in my life, but just reading Sagan's "Idlewild" makes me crave the cloves Hal is constantly lighting up. Hal is the protagonist, but he's one of the best examples of an anti-hero ever: he's sulle...more
Ryan
This book follows the life of a teenage boy -- the archetypal bright, world-weary loner with authority issues -- who is being educated at a special virtual reality-based boarding school along with several other teenagers, while the world outside progresses towards apocalypse. Of course, nothing is exactly what it seems, and a conspiracy reminiscent of The Matrix and other cyberpunk-ish works begins to come to light.

The story has some flaws besides its familiarity: a few of the characters feel in...more
Cassi
Amazing! I knew nothing about this going into it, so it was a great surprise. It was by far the best audiobook I have heard, despite the really poor start. If you are listening to it, know that the author "acts" out the book, so it seems incredibly over-dramatic at the beginning. Keep going!

The story goes from convoluted to intriguing. The characters are young, high school kids, and may feel flat in some places as a result. It takes a few turns that may or may not be expected, but overall, Nick...more
Challis
Never considered myself a sci-fi gal. This one is fantasy/reality enough to not be sci-fi, even though it is... Really reminded me of the matrix.
What a fun place to get lost for awhile. Unfortunately it was too quick of a read. Liked the tangle that slowly unravels in different layers. Wanted to stay in this IVR world a lot longer.
One big question unanswered: How does Mercutio find his way to 0?
Diana
I thought that this was really original. And I was totally surprised by the ending--totally didn't see it coming. And the author is very cool. I ended up communicating with him after I read the book and it turns out that he went to the same high school as I did and based the book partly on our school. Maybe that's why I liked it so much . . .
Ysabel
May 18, 2008 Ysabel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of matrix-style simulation-worlds
This is my most favourite book to date. It is so well written and set in a world I think I secretly crave to be a part of. I loved the twist at the end and definitely did not see it coming. I've read it at least five times since I bought it last year and will continue to do so for years to come.
Tricia Mchugh
Nick Sagan is the son of Carl Sagan. I met him and his wonderful wife when I worked at Barnes & Noble in Ithaca, NY.
He did a book signing there and it was at that time I learned of this trilogy.
My fiancé and I read all three of the books out loud to each other, taking turns throughout and putting our own personality into the characters
I loved all three of the books. Neither of us could put them down.
The characters were well-written. We identified with them on a personal level. The storylin...more
Calisrue
this book has cyberpunk feel at the beginning but also reminiscent of Roger Zelazney's Chronicles of Amber... and some MAJOR twists in the story line that will make you go WOW.
Tim
for any lover of scifi/fantasy, this is a must read. intelligent, wildly imaginative, totally engrossing. then go on and read edenborn and everfree. fantastic trilogy!
Mac
I wanted to like this book, but it fought me the whole way. The overriding premise was great, but had such a clunky execution. The main character remembers stuff when it's convenient for the author. The characters are flat. And it take forever for the plot to kick into gear.

Also...I couldn't decide if this was supposed to be a YA novel or not. It sits exactly on the line of YA fiction and general fiction, and not in a good way. It doesn't really work in either case.

I'm slamming this book, and I'...more
Donna Backshall
I'm proud of myself for not tossing this book within the first 30 pages, because until the story started to gel, it seemed all too much like one of Gaiman's nonsensical fantasies. (Clearly I'm not a fan.) I love scifi, but there is very little science and an awful lot of YA fantasy in here.

I stuck with it, and though I never found the scifi adventure I was hoping to uncover, it wasn't bad. It wasn't great either. It was a fairly drawn-out exploration of one young man's existential crisis, which...more
Marit
Sagan's book starts out strong with an amnesia-stricken narrator slowly piecing together the mysteries of his world. A world full of alternate realities, omniscient virtual caretakers, and a band of ten teenagers who have grown up together but circle each other with the wariness of feral dogs. A sense of impending disaster or violence seems to lurk behind every corner, heightened by the fact that the narrator Halloween cannot remember all the social or even logistical details of his existence. H...more
Valorie Engholm
Excellent story! Constantly surprising, and hard to put down.
Nuno Magalhães
Jul 17, 2013 Nuno Magalhães rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi, technothriller, virtual reality fans
Este livro de Nick Sagan, o 1º da trilogia "Idlewild-Edenborn-Everfree", apresenta-nos uma história pós-apocalíptica, interessante e imaginativa, que mistura conceitos dos géneros da Ficcção Científica com o Policial, resultando numa obra que se enquadra melhor no género do Technothriller. A forma como a narrativa foio desenvolvida causa alguma desorientação inicial no leitor, de resto uma extensão da desorientação inicial de Hal, a personagem principal.

Existem dois cenários onde a acção se des...more
Sean Randall
People are calling Sagan everything from a revolutionary to a thief, this debut novel has folk up in arms with rapture, for the most part.

I like Paul Skevington's character summation - he writes: "we are presented with a very realistic and credible depiction of a group of teenagers who are teetering on the edge of a grim precipice that they will be lucky to escape from."

I agree with the point, also; rather than just liking the sentiment - the characters are certainly nicely done and their world...more
Riah
I agree with other comments here. The less you read about Idlewild ahead of time, the better it will be. This was the most fun I've had with a book since those "Choose your own adventure" books I read in the 3rd and 4th grades! I don't know if I care enough to keep on with the series (Edenborn, & Everfree), but I definitely enjoyed this book. (I fear sequels may lose their ability to jolt me in any given direction).

That being said, I truly think that to enjoy this book you must already have...more
Rodrigo Sepúlveda
De inicio confuso, que refleja perfectamente lo aturdido que está su protagonista. Con racontos que van y vienen de forma un tanto inconexa que no hacen más que aumentar la confusión. Así parte ésta historia, que de a poco va entregando los elementos que permiten ir construyendo el mundo que habitan sus personajes e ir despejando la niebla que lo cubre todo.

Es imposible describir algo si arruinarle la sorpresa al posible lector. Lo que sí puedo decir es que Nick Sagan se encarga, con elegancia,...more
Dylan Beeman
Wr4ith0
From the first this drew me in. The particular edition had a pretty cover; what can I say, I'm an artist and these things catch my eye. The plot starts out with the amnesiac hero in a V.R. simulation. Trite right, maybe good for a laugh or satire? But the author wrote around it as if he didn't even suspect it was a cliche of video game convenience and mysteries that try too hard. Fifteen or so pages in I realize that he's not even going to acknowledge this thing. He has better things to worry ab...more
Gwen
Jean Tatro
A book I picked up on a whim when I needed a few extra dollars for free shipping. A piece of fanart first brought it to my attention and the main character's name caught my attention.

First off - everyone compares it to the Matrix, and I can see why, but really the comparison is only superficial. People plugged into a virtual world, yada yada yada. It's like comparing paranormal romance books because they contain vampires.

The style of narration puts me in mind of my early days on the internet,...more
Nicole Tuttle
Halloween wakes up disoriented, confused, with no memory, and is temporarily paralyzed. All he knows is someone (something?) is trying to kill him via electrocution, but he has no idea how to even begin to investigate.

Slowly but surely, our protagonist reunites with his friends and his environment, the pieces of the puzzle slowly clicking into place as time moves forward. Plagued by intermittent holes in his memory, Halloween re-integrates himself back into the land of the ... living?

Sort of.

Qu...more
Fantastic Fantasy: Idlewild copies 1 3 Jan 17, 2014 02:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: fixes for Idlewild 9780553815979 1 11 Jul 14, 2013 10:30PM
Addicted to Book ...: Idlewild by Nick Sagan 1 10 Nov 26, 2012 09:20PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED- Idlewild by Nick Sagan [s] 8 67 Jan 12, 2009 03:30PM
stolen ideas? 1 47 Dec 15, 2008 11:51PM
  • The Guardener's Tale
  • Plague Year (Plague, #1)
  • Yarn
  • Black Projects, White Knights: The Company Dossiers (The Company, #4.5)
  • Children of the Dust
  • Signal to Noise
  • Infoquake (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #1)
  • Malevil
  • Wasteland of Flint
  • After London: or, Wild England
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • I Who Have Never Known Men
  • The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
  • Time Travelers Never Die
  • Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
  • City at the End of Time
  • The Genocides
  • Invitation to the Game
Edenborn (Idlewild, #2) Everfree (Idlewild, #3) You Call This the Future?: The Greatest Inventions Sci-Fi Imagined and Science Promised Shrapnel: Hubris Shrapnel: Hubris 3

“When I think of Simone now, I think of butterfly wings. Beautiful and excruciatingly delicate. Touch them once and they might disintegrate.” 17 likes
“No existe justificación divina para el mal. Tal y como afirmaba Darwin: "Dios debe ser débil o perverso".” 2 likes