Star of Light

Star of Light

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Hamid does not want his little blind sister, Kinza, to be sold to a beggar, by their stepfather, so he decides to rescue her. Together they escape from their mountain village to a town where there may be a new home for Kinza. But this is only the start of their adventures.
Published February 1st 2002 by Moody Publishers (first published 1953)

heartwork.in.progress
Nov 25, 2008 heartwork.in.progress rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to heartwork.in.progress by: Sonlight
Shelves: readbyvf, sonlight
When Hamid finds out that Kinza, his blind sister, will be sold to a beggar, he escapes with her. He heads to a white woman, Rosemary, a follower of Jesus. Once there, Hamid gets accepted by the street boys and learns about God from Rosemary.

I enjoyed this story very much.

Vibrant Bea, 12 years old.
Tirzah
You know it's a good book when you're reading aloud to your children and they keep on begging for "just one more chapter". I love it when that happens and this was one such book it happened in. My 10 year old & 6 year old loved it.

Set in North Africa, a young boy rescues his little sister from a life of abuse because she's blind and infirmities such as Kinza's and especially because she's a girl are despised in this culture. The story follows these siblings & the help & hope they fi...more
Jodi
This was on my sons reading list. I heard that it was a classic but one I never had to read in school. It was about a young boy and his mother. She had three children. The husband died and she remarried an already married man. The man had no children and his wife was very jealous of the new wife. The wife and the three children were treated very bad. They were not given much to eat, the had to do most of the work and they were beaten. The mother kept her one child hidden as long as she could. Sh...more
Elizabeth Plumberg
This is a great story that we read for school a few years ago. It takes place in Morocco probably around the 1940's or 50's and is about a young boy, Hamid, who takes his blind sister to an English nurse/missionary for safe keeping to prevent his step-father from selling her to a beggar. Alongside Hamid's story, the nurse has a cousin who visits with her husband and young self-absorbed daughter, Jenny. Both children are touched by the gospel through the witness of this faithful servant. I won't...more
Hilary
I had this story told to me in a VBS seminar when I was very small in Africa. I carried it in my heart for years. One day, I stumbled across this book and as I was reading it realized it was the very same story- and have read it and re-read it for years and years since. It has a place of honor on my favorite classics bookshelf (in real life).

I guess it meant so much because it gave me the other side of the missionary story. I never really understood why we needed to be in Africa, it helped me s...more
Ashley Bowen
This was a very good book. Patricia St. John is a wonderful author. I have read two other books by her.
Tarissa
Hamid's baby sister is blind. Once his stepfather finds this out, baby Kinza is going to be sold to a beggar, because people take pity and give generous money to blind children.

So, a plan is hatched. Hamid will sneak away with his sister. He will journey until he finds the home of the English nurse in another town, many days away. Hamid's mother told him that this nurse can heal Kinza's sight.

This was a wonderful story that I enjoyed very much. Many lessons can be learned by reading it.
Once agai...more
Lynnae Spafford
This is about a family who are very poor. The father is cruel. The mother is expecting her second child to his dissapointment and even more maddening it is blind. He sells the child to a beggar. The other child of the family takes the blind, baby girl and flees. He ends up finding a Christian lady who adopts the baby. She also feeds the boy and teaches the bible. The young boy gave the baby to the lady not telling her who it beloned to. The child gets stollen...and read the story to find out the...more
Susanne
I read this book aloud to my two older children. I liked how the nurse taught the children that hard times come to everyone, but we can all have hope if we believe in the Lord.
Taylor
Sweet story for younger children.
Patra
This is a very simple tale and the point of the author is obvious from the beginning, but I enjoyed reading about children coming to know Jesus. One came from a culture that did not believe in Jesus and another came from a culture that professed to know Him but never really tried to draw close to Him. There is definitely some food for thought in this book and I think it is a worth read in youth literature.
Michelle
My kids and hubby are enjoying this book. Serious themes such as the main character running away from a cruel stepfather with his blind baby sister and living on the streets in a small town of Morocco are written without hesitation but with a great sensitivity to a child's audience. We've already had some great conversations about honesty and compassion.
Jean
Rosemary, a nurse in northern Africa, answering Jenny's question of why she does what she does:
"…but the reason I do it is not just to make them better. I give it because I want them to see that Jesus lives in me and He cares about their pain and wants to help them. You have got to show the love of Jesus by doing good things. "
Sara
This book was OK, but it was to easy for my tastes. The story plot was good, and I like how Patricia brought in them turning to god. But the way it was written was like for small children, and (I don't want to be mean) I just kept finding myself rolling my eyes. Cause lots of things were very obvious.
Megan
It was a gospel story (not sure which religion) about a little boy who lives in South Africa, I think, and he learns about the Bible. It's a really good story. I had to read it for school, and it wasn't an adventure story (except for the end), it was just a good story.
Starr
Tammy Swartzendruber jata
One of my favorite books when I was a kid. It was instrumental in my decision as a child that I was going to work in an orphanage some day. When I was 19 that dream came true. loved this book!
Catherine
I loved this book when I was twelve. My not-at-all-religious adult self still found the story to be suspenseful and well written, but skimmed over all the proselytizing.
Mikayla
This was not my favorite of her books because the ending seemed a bit sadder then most. But overall I did enjoy the book and have already started in on another of her books!
Sarah Jane
I remember liking this book. But it was very sad. I don't remember it having a really nice ending either, I think that was rather sad too, although I don't really remember.
It was a sad and triumphant book all at the same time. It is intended for younger readers but it was still a good story of hope, freedom, and seeing the light.
Mandi
I really love this author. This was a sweet story that really explained salvation for children in a great way.
Tammy
I like the way St. John writes. She really drew me in to the story and the characters seemed very real. Good book.
Lauren
i used to love books by patricia st. john so i'm a bit disappointed that they are not nearly as good as i remember.
Ginny
I love how Patricia St.John teaches Biblical concepts using interesting stories and likable characters.
Rachel
A favorite Christmas present from my childhood. I have enjoyed many of the books by this author.
Elise
The kids really enjoyed this book. They kept asking for me to read more to find out what happened.
Ria
This book was pretty good. It didn't have as much action as I like, but it still was decent.
Meadow
A very cute about a boy named Hamid and his constant watch on his dear litlte sister Kinza.
Maria Dahn
Great book to compare Islam and Christianity. Really made my 13-year-old think!
  • The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam
  • Water Sky
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?
  • Henry Reed, Inc.