Start by marking “Everfree (Idlewild, #3)” as Want to Read:
Everfree (Idlewild, #3)

Everfree (Idlewild #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  801 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A small group of humans has survived the apocalyptic epidemic called Black Ep that ravaged the world. These survivors start to wake others who'd been cryogenically preserved to await a future when the disease might be cured. At first, everyone agrees on the basic principles of this new world - how lucky they are to have survived, how they're all in this together, how they ...more
Paperback
Published April 2nd 2007 by Bantam (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Everfree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everfree

Elisha
Everfree, though not awful, was nowhere near as good as Idlewild; after the first book, each subsequent volume got progressively worse.

I'm definitely not a fan of adult Hal in all of his negative anti-hero splendor. At least as a kid his attitude was been acceptable.

Sure, the text emphasizes that humans are pretty much genetically predisposed to mucking existence up for themselves every time; even at the end, DNA and evolution prove stronger than the "patch." It goes in a different direction t
Emily  O
May 09, 2009 Emily O rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Don't read this. Trust me. Once you have read the first two books this one is just a terrible disappointment. It completely destroys the former plot line and characters, adds a new plot in and then refuses to resolve it, and has a terrible cliche ending that is a disgrace to the previous two. I repeat, do not read this book.
Javier Maldonado
Oct 25, 2011 Javier Maldonado rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the Ender's Game series
Everfree is the last book in Nick Sagan's "Idlewild" series. The series centers around a group of genetically engineered "posthumans" that were designed during the late stages of an apocalyptic global epidemic. This book reminds me very strongly of the later Ender's Game books but with a greater emphasis on the underlying structures of a society. The plot focuses more on the protagonist, Halloween, than the earlier books where the books were written from multiple points of view. Everfree is prim ...more
Dj
The author sets up this situation that's extremely interesting. Anything can happen! Hal, a cynical, loveable asshole and main character, keeps the tone edgy and fun. Then 3/4 of the way through it's like Sagan didn't know what to do and realized he had to wrap up not just this book, but the trilogy in which this is the third installment. He handled this hastily and horribly in my opinion, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Laurie
Wonderful end to this trilogy. I wish Sagan would write more novels. He's got a really smart, witty and unique voice.
Deozaan
May 08, 2010 Deozaan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deozaan by: Challis
Everfree's tone and point of view is much more like a "normal" book. That is, less stream-of-consciousness and more first person narrative. As such, it sets quite a different mood right from the beginning.

I felt a lot more relaxed while reading this book than I did wile reading Edenborn. Nothing really seemed to put me on the edge of my seat (so to speak), which actually gave me a strange sensation during a particularly action-intense scene.

I felt so mellow when Hal was finally at peace with thi
Stephen
So, my general review is basically that the first half is better than the second, mostly because the switch in narrative styles bugged me and I think the first style worked better. The ending always was less than satisfying--though admittedly it would be hard to really wrap up.

Most of what follows is some scientific annoyance at the patch (which is at the end of the book, hence there be spoilers here).

So the patch is a genetic modification to incentivize cooperation. There are probably better wa
Alice
Not nearly as good as the other two books in the series. None of the characters are fleshed out, plot points are not developed or explored, things just happen with little comment. Not engaging and boring. I read it only to complete the series, wondering what would happen to the second generation after the plague.

BIG Spoilers:

unfreeze Isaac's kids: forget it
clash of rich and poor: not really
clash of 1st generation and 2nd generation: not as good as the previous book
new technologies: no
learn anyth
Ashley
Wow. This series picked right up and finished with a block of C4. I felt that most of the loose ends were tied up and it brought a good sense of closure. I would recommend this series to anyone who is looking for a great cyber-punk story, though it is so much more than that. It is a story that makes you question your own reality.

*(Spoilers)*

I was disappointed that so many of the characters were killed off, but with the way the story changed, it at least made some semblance of sense. The characte
Oscar
Everfree is a satisfying but underwhelming conclusion to Sagan's overall very enjoyable trilogy. For some reason, the novel lacked the clear and enticing vision of the first part, as well as the touching and at times heart-wrenching character sketches from the second.

Basically, it's a wrap-up, speculating on how humanity might slowly rebuild from cryostasis, after being practically decimated by an epidemic. Sagan's picture is cynical, but not overly so, tending toward what I would consider a hea
Ray
Nick Sagan has constructed a startling trilogy that makes you question the boundaries of human existence. His final installment in this trilogy "Everfree" leaves the reader piecing together unfinished business from his first two books, all the while trying to manage the rollercoaster of character and story development that takes place. Ultimately, the finality of the story begs the question of how far one would go to make our world a better, more suitable place to live.

I remember when I read Sa
Eric
Book three of the Idlewild trilogy. Black Ep has been conquered at last, and humanity has begun to live again, thawed and cured of disease, and siring children once more. The death of Halloween's son finally convinced him to help with humanity 2.0, and he begins to re-discover his more social side. But with populations come modern problems. Politics rears its ugly head once again, uncontrolled militias patrol the Catskills, and corruption finds a new niche. In all this, one neo-human, Fantasia, ...more
Julie
Okay. Hands down, the best of the trilogy -- reading the first two feels like a prelude to reach the awesomery that was Everfree. The scope just kept expanding in each book -- which makes all of the themes of the third novel really compelling: societal structure, the question of evolution, how to control crime, how to create a utopia. Power vacuums and reinstating political systems. Idlewild & Edenborn were really small in scope and isolated to its few characters, but an actual world started ...more
Brian
Jul 03, 2008 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biochemists, chemists, bay-staters
It's the third in a series that I've only read the last two of, but it continues a story that starts off, as all good biological thrillers do, with a doomsday bug wiping out a number of people. (I'm not giving anything away, read the dust jacket.) In this particular book, our story concludes with excitement, optimism, and a final dose of realism.

The story is neither too cynical nor too saccharine. Characters are realistic, relatable, and there are at least three good laughs, maybe more.

It also
Kristin Lundgren
Last book in the Idlewild trilogy. This book focused on the core group of post-humans, somewhat on a few on their children, and the communities of popsicles that they were unthawing, curing of the deadly disease that wiped out 99.9% of humanity, and overseeing the reconstruction of a society. It doesn't always go as you hope, and things can backfire. I found it to be a brilliant look at societies, how far people are willing to go to get their ends met, and does the end justify the means, etc. So ...more
Justin
This was an enjoyable read, but I wasn't moved enough to feel like I should recommend it to others. I read the whole trilogy after finding the first book at my college bookstore (more than 6 years ago) so I had to read the spoilers of the previous two books to understand what was going on.

I recommend it if you've read the first two, but I wouldn't necessarily pick up the series.
Debbie
Sep 11, 2011 Debbie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: David Stein
I think this is the weakest of the books in the trilogy, although not because of the writing. Overall, the character development and writing were well-done, but I felt that Sagan took on too many issues (things we've been talking about in the media and on campuses a lot lately) and didn't adequately deal with any of them. The pacing of the events and the suspense were fairly unbalanced, too, which made it hard to get through the second half. On the other hand, I really liked how creatively some ...more
Isa
i really loved this whole series/trilogy. it took me a while to finally pick this last one up and once i finally did i was so happy and excited to be reading about these characters that i burned right through it! i can't say that everything turned out exactly as i hoped it would, or that i got all of the resolutions that i pined for, but i'm not sure that can count against this as a book. i was thoroughly entertained and i felt like the characters stayed true to themselves. plus some great new c ...more
Sharon
Ok at the beginning but did not hold my interest.
Mander Pander
I enjoyed the first book of the trilogy ("Idlewild") enough to purchase the remaining books, even though the subject matter is a little more cyber punk/ dystopian than what I normally read. In hindsight, this was probably a mistake.
"Idlewild" stands on its own. In writing a follow up to it, Sagan got a little fumble. This book doesn't smooth out the fumbles, but the bus does roll home to its station, and the reader is left with a feeling of "ok, I guess that's it."

Jonathan Hockey
A good little book. A very nice flow to it,easy to follow and read along. Some interesting near future ideas and concepts are explored, and the first person perspective gives it a very real and down to earth feel. A welcome change from some recent science-fiction, which often is either very barren, and devoid of a good flowing quality, or is too pretentious or wish-fulfillment based. This is a good flowing story, with a dark edge.
Chris
It was interesting to see Hal now as a full adult in a full community, but still himself. I wasn't sure about the strange addition of the Free, if that was left open for a later novel? Regardless, this was written just as well as the rest, and gave a good closure to the trilogy. I thought that the idea of the "patch", and how that played out, was a darkly comedic point.
Brigitte
It was just okay. I think the trilogy became more of a sociological statement than anything else, and without trying to spoil the novel, the nod to his father (Carl Sagan) was very strange and unnecessary. There is a lot of complexity without much direction. If I were to recommend the trilogy to a friend, I would suggest reading Idlewild and leaving it at that.
Steve
I remain fascinated by how little attention this wonderfully creative triology generates. I got a kick out the premise, the characters, and the delivery. Far better than your average dystopia or post-apocalyptic yarn, this unique three-piece set, in my opinion, deserves higher standing in the sci-fi community than it has received to date. Alas...
Sheri
I loved the ending of this trilogy! Nick Sagan is so imaginative and creative. The idea behind Idlewild, Edenborn and Everfree was so interesting. This trilogy really made me think about technology in the future, and the human nature in people. I loved the characters in this series. They were flawed, but relatable and likable.
Jessica
It was OK. Not horrible, not awesome. I will say this: the first time you call something "Lovecraftian," I like the useage. When you use the same word to describe things over and over, it is lazy. write your own descriptions of stuff. Don't just keep calling everything "Lovecraftian." It's lazy. Period. Space.
Mick
I enjoyed this novel every bit as much as the first in the trilogy but for different reasons. Part of this may be personal taste as I've always been a sucker for a post-apocalytic story, but I also believe that Nick Sagan has improved his story telling skills from his first novel to his third.
Adam
I enjoyed reading this third book in the series more than the schizophrenic second. It still never reaches the level of the first book though. There are some interesting ideas presented on human society and evolution, but the story lacks a primary conflict and never comes to any kind of climax.
Ella
Jul 31, 2007 Ella rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: nicksagan
I didn't realize this was the last of a trilogy when I bought the book but I don't think I missed much by not having read the first two. Having said that I'm looking forwards to reading the other two as soon as I get my hands on them.
Helga Ganguly
Aug 14, 2011 Helga Ganguly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Insomniacs
Well-I finished the trilogy. As expected, the ending was not completely unexpected. Unfortunately,the ending also left the possibility of future volumes. Spare us,please. It's been done,and better.
  • The Machine's Child (The Company, #7)
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Once & Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
  • Children of the Dust
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • After London: or, Wild England
  • Vic and Blood: The Continuing Adventures of a Boy & His Dog
  • Caesar's Column: A Story of the Twentieth Century
  • One
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Plague Year (Plague, #1)
  • The City, Not Long After
  • Story Time
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • America the Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #3)
  • Quantum Level Zero
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)

Idlewild (3 books)
  • Idlewild (Idlewild, #1)
  • Edenborn (Idlewild, #2)
Idlewild (Idlewild, #1) Edenborn (Idlewild, #2) You Call This the Future?: The Greatest Inventions Sci-Fi Imagined and Science Promised Shrapnel: Hubris Shrapnel: Hubris 2