Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School

The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School (The Berenstain Bears)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  15,516 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
While out of school for a few days with a cold, Brother Bear ignores his make-up work. And when he returns to class, he discovers the consequences of neglecting his responsibilities: he fails his division test. Grizzly Gramps helps Brother learn that it's never too late to correct a mistake.
Published August 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School

Brittany Messer
Dec 03, 2012 Brittany Messer rated it really liked it
I read the book, "The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School" by Stan Berenstatin. This is a great book to teach children a lesson on cheating and earning good grades. Primary children will learn the consequences of cheating and what will happen when your grades start to fall. This is a great story for Primary children to read because at some point in time a child is going to want to cheat on a test or either on homework and this story will hopefully make them think twice about cheating. I love all ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
This cute story follows Brother as he catches cold and misses school, then doesn't study and fails a quiz. From here there is more trouble for Brother. The lesson at the end is a good one and young readers are sure to love the bears.
Megan Sewell
Mar 10, 2010 Megan Sewell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
These books are great for families trying to teach children valuable life lessons, for phone calls home, and of course bad grades, great book to help kids understand that they have to behave and do homeowrk, study etc.
Karsyn Konecny
Feb 19, 2017 Karsyn Konecny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
This book is about a young bear named bother bear who gets sick and has to miss school. He stays at home and while he's sick with a cold and plays with dinosaurs and watches TV but at the end of the day his sister brings home a folder full of school work to do. Brother bear doesn't do the schoolwork and ends up faling a quiz and having to get a paper signed by parents. I liked this book because it shows children responsibility and what to do if they miss school or if they are sick. The audience ...more
China Harris
Jan 26, 2017 China Harris rated it it was amazing
Trouble At School is about the time Brother Bear caught a cold and stayed in from school. He was supposed to study and do his school work so that he wouldn't be behind in his classes. Instead of doing his work, he decided to play video games and watch tv. The next week that Brother bears went back to school, he had to take a test that he neglected to study for. He receives a poor grade and now he must figure out how to tell Papa and Mama bear. His parents aren't very happy, but his mom tells him ...more
Demi Burns
Dec 04, 2015 Demi Burns rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School: Brother bear comes home from school one day with the cold, causing him to wheeze and sneeze. Mother bear takes his temperature, puts him to bed and calls in Dr. Grizzly. Drl Grizzly tells Momma to not let Brother out of bed until his fever goes down, for he needs plenty of rest and lots of juice. Brother is basically living the life; Momma bear makes Papa bring up a t.v. just for Brother bear, as well as his comics, and his dinosaur collection. The next d ...more
Tanya Bornstein
Feb 18, 2014 Tanya Bornstein rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-the-author
The bernstein bears was always one of my favorites mainly because my last name is bornstein and I felt apart of the books. This book is great for children who have a little trouble with school. Some children need a bit of extra help and this is a great book for the child to know that it is okay to ask for help when needed.

Jan and Stan Berenstain:
Jan Berenstain and her husband, Stan, published their first Berenstain Bears book in 1962. Three hundred titles about the family of bears that deal wit
Megan
Oct 16, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: School Problems
Theme: Making changes to be on the right path in life
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Late Transitional
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Repetition, Rhyme
Illustrations: Detailed illustrations support the text and help express the emotions of the characters. Helpful to readers because of the long texts on each page.
These books always send great messages to young readers. There is always a moral on the first page
Chuck Ramsey
Oct 19, 2015 Chuck Ramsey rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears Trouble at School was one of the few books I never read as a kid. I picked this up and read it and was actually shocked by how deep the meaning was behind it. The little kid bear was sick for a handful of days and missed out on his homework. The work was given to him but he decided he didnt want to do it. This ended up getting him in trouble and having certain consequences at home. A lot of children's books never really show the main characters breaking some kind of rule and ...more
Desiree Giroux
Jul 06, 2015 Desiree Giroux rated it it was amazing
My son is 6 years old and I love that he loves the Berenstain Bears! He really seems to take to heart the different messages that each book provides. I really liked this particular book because my son has some behavioral issues at school and though this book focuses on academic troubles...it helps show that you can overcome problems at school, start again and do better. I also really enjoyed that Brother Bear went to his grandparents for advice, and that they were able to help him by sharing pro ...more
Shayla Stevens
The Berenstain Bears books are about a family of bears and the challenges they face during their daily lives. The themes in each book are relevant to not only students and teachers, but also to parents. In this book, Brother Bear falls behind on his school work because he was absent due to illness and failed to complete his make up work. Many students have experienced this themselves, so they understand how Brother Bear feels and maybe they handled it differently, so it teaches them about perspe ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at school by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Oh, no. Brother Bear is sick and can not go to school. His school work is sent home so he will not get behind, but he decides not to do it. So when he gets back to school, he doesn't know division and fails his test.
The lesson to the one is a few days of slacking off, while it might be fun, you will regret in the end. It is better to do a small amount a day, than all of your work at once.
Jenna Spinazzola
Oct 16, 2008 Jenna Spinazzola rated it it was amazing
genre: picture book

audience: k - 4th

topic: school problems

theme: making changes to be on the correct path in life

curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading

reading level: late transitional

literary elements: dialogue, repetition, rhyme

illustrations: support the text, cute and creative, help express the emotions of the character, also helpful to the reader because there are many words to one page.
Rosalie Mahler
Aug 27, 2015 Rosalie Mahler rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is wonderful for young students because it shows them the importance of keeping up with their school work and always trying their best even if they are sick. This book can be used in the classroom if many students are consistently missing assignments. It can be used as a model to show the consequences for this behavior.
Chris
Jan 18, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
It was a very enjoyable Berenstain Bear book. It had very well done illustrations, great characters and a interesting storyline. I read this book in a long time. What I really like about this book was when Brother Bear retested the division quiz and played the soccer game. I'd recommend this book to Berenstain Bears fans.
Kristal
Apr 03, 2013 Kristal rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good message overall, but about the soccer thing: it's not always that a person will get what s/he wants. Cousin Freddy might have been better and might of stayed on brother's position. I guess it's just trying to show that even adults make mistakes though...
Mallory White
Great book to show your students that they have responsibilities. It also shows that your mistakes will lead to consequences. Not studying for your test means you might fail when you take it. It also shows that it is never to late to fix a mistake or get on the right track.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
we were promised this book if we did well on our report cards. we did, and we got the book. boo-yah. i don't think we ever saw the irony that we were being rewarded with books and not money or candy.....
Emily Huffman
Nov 06, 2013 Emily Huffman rated it it was amazing
I will never get sick of these books! Love the clever little illustrations, and the moral epithet on the cover page.
Sally
I was never sick from primary school for long enough to be given "make-up work"... nor did we even have homework, really! So this was one of my intriductions to strange American ideas :P
Zoe W
Sep 22, 2014 Zoe W rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much!! When I was real little, My sister and I drew all over our copy and re-named it "We killed Brother Bear"!!
Jeanne
Jan 04, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Brother Bear gets in trouble when he doesn't do his homework while he's out sick from school. Things don't go well when he goes back. Now he's in trouble and doesn't want to fess up to it.
Ashton Hay
Jun 09, 2013 Ashton Hay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-my-niece
I love reading these books
Julie
Dec 03, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lesson in learning from your mistakes.
Grace
Sep 05, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it
I liked this book cause brother bear did not do good in school but than he realized that. You should always do good the first time so you don't have to do it a second time!
Maria Bulfamante
Mar 03, 2015 Maria Bulfamante rated it really liked it
These were my favorite book series when I was a child! I enjoyed re reading them.
Dimps
Feb 15, 2008 Dimps rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Brandy M
Feb 08, 2016 Brandy M rated it really liked it
love all these
Sa Schmidt
Aug 26, 2016 Sa Schmidt rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my son. He and I both loved these bears.
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
good message
Goodreads Librari...: Is this a series or a character?? 4 26 Feb 12, 2013 03:14PM
  • Just a Bully
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • Curious George Visits the Library
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark