Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School

The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School (The Berenstain Bears)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  12,886 ratings  ·  34 reviews
While out of school for a few days with a cold, Brother Bear ignores his make-up work. And when he returns to class, he discovers the consequences of neglecting his responsibilities: he fails his division test. Grizzly Gramps helps Brother learn that it's never too late to correct a mistake....more
Published August 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School

Brittany Messer
I read the book, "The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School" by Stan Berenstatin. This is a great book to teach children a lesson on cheating and earning good grades. Primary children will learn the consequences of cheating and what will happen when your grades start to fall. This is a great story for Primary children to read because at some point in time a child is going to want to cheat on a test or either on homework and this story will hopefully make them think twice about cheating. I love all...more
Tanya Bornstein
The bernstein bears was always one of my favorites mainly because my last name is bornstein and I felt apart of the books. This book is great for children who have a little trouble with school. Some children need a bit of extra help and this is a great book for the child to know that it is okay to ask for help when needed.

Jan and Stan Berenstain:
Jan Berenstain and her husband, Stan, published their first Berenstain Bears book in 1962. Three hundred titles about the family of bears that deal wit...more
Grace
I liked this book cause brother bear did not do good in school but than he realized that. You should always do good the first time so you don't have to do it a second time!
Page Parker
This was a cute book to read. I love the illustration, and it it was a great concept book. I could read this to my students either before or after talking about the attendance policy at the school.
Megan
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: School Problems
Theme: Making changes to be on the right path in life
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Late Transitional
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Repetition, Rhyme
Illustrations: Detailed illustrations support the text and help express the emotions of the characters. Helpful to readers because of the long texts on each page.
These books always send great messages to young readers. There is always a moral on the first page...more
Zoe W
I love this book so much!! When I was real little, My sister and I drew all over our copy and re-named it "We killed Brother Bear"!!
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at school by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Oh, no. Brother Bear is sick and can not go to school. His school work is sent home so he will not get behind, but he decides not to do it. So when he gets back to school, he doesn't know division and fails his test.
The lesson to the one is a few days of slacking off, while it might be fun, you will regret in the end. It is better to do a small amount a day, than all of your work at once.
Jenna Spinazzola
genre: picture book

audience: k - 4th

topic: school problems

theme: making changes to be on the correct path in life

curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading

reading level: late transitional

literary elements: dialogue, repetition, rhyme

illustrations: support the text, cute and creative, help express the emotions of the character, also helpful to the reader because there are many words to one page.
Allie Pierskalla
This book was about second chances. You could give it to a student in your class if they're having a bad day to show them that tomorrow is a new day. It was a little long though.
Chris
It was a very enjoyable Berenstain Bear book. It had very well done illustrations, great characters and a interesting storyline. I read this book in a long time. What I really like about this book was when Brother Bear retested the division quiz and played the soccer game. I'd recommend this book to Berenstain Bears fans.
Mallory White
Great book to show your students that they have responsibilities. It also shows that your mistakes will lead to consequences. Not studying for your test means you might fail when you take it. It also shows that it is never to late to fix a mistake or get on the right track.
♥ Sarah ♥
Aug 20, 2014 ♥ Sarah ♥ marked it as to-read-childrens

Age: ?
Lesson:
Purchased: 69 cents from eBay, 10 cents from Salvation Army
Kristal
Good message overall, but about the soccer thing: it's not always that a person will get what s/he wants. Cousin Freddy might have been better and might of stayed on brother's position. I guess it's just trying to show that even adults make mistakes though...
Megan Sewell
These books are great for families trying to teach children valuable life lessons, for phone calls home, and of course bad grades, great book to help kids understand that they have to behave and do homeowrk, study etc.
angrykitty
we were promised this book if we did well on our report cards. we did, and we got the book. boo-yah. i don't think we ever saw the irony that we were being rewarded with books and not money or candy.....
Jeanne
Brother Bear gets in trouble when he doesn't do his homework while he's out sick from school. Things don't go well when he goes back. Now he's in trouble and doesn't want to fess up to it.
Sally
I was never sick from primary school for long enough to be given "make-up work"... nor did we even have homework, really! So this was one of my intriductions to strange American ideas :P
Stacey
This is a great book that teaches students to take responsibility for their actions. This book is for all ages. The story is about how cheating on a test can have serious consequences.
Leah
I miss these books!!!! Such a cute story. I loved these books when I was little and I can't to collected more of them for my classroom. I feel they are very relatable to kids.
Lauren
This book is great for children especially when they learn to start reading. It teaches great morals and ideals for everyone to have and great general life lessons.
Laneika Cason
PB 43. I like how this book shows children that the consequences of their actions in the classroom can have an effect on their lives outside the classroom.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Loved this book!
It still makes me nervous for Brother Bear, as an ADULT!
And i'm not even in school anymore!

I loved it as a kid too.
Jessica
I enjoy Beranstain's approach to dealing with trouble. Might be considered naive, but considering the audience, it is quite appropriate.
Emily Huffman
I will never get sick of these books! Love the clever little illustrations, and the moral epithet on the cover page.
Karen
I loved reading the Berenstain Bears to my kids. The stories are great and the illustrations are fun.
Theresa
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.
Candie Jasso
loved it when I was a kid and still love reading it to my kids
Mandy Groover
this book might encourage students to do well in school.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Dimps
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Goodreads Librari...: Is this a series or a character?? 4 24 Feb 12, 2013 03:14PM
  • Just a Bully
  • Curious George Visits the Library
  • Just a Mess (Little Critter)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day