Start by marking “He Bear, She Bear” as Want to Read:
He Bear, She Bear

He Bear, She Bear (The Berenstain Bears Bright & Early)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,187 ratings  ·  31 reviews
We'll jump and dig and build and fly
There's nothing that we cannot try.
We can do all these things, you see,
Whether we are he or she!

A young he bear and she bear discover they can do anything and be anything they want to--regardless of gender--in this empowering and fun, fast paced Bright & Early Board Book!
Board Book, 24 pages
Published August 17th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about He Bear, She Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Bear, She Bear

Jordan Lee
He Bear She Bear gives the brother and sister bears a chance to see all the things in life that they could someday be. They look at each other and notice that “we are he and she.” This is the basis of the rest of the story. They go around town and see all the different jobs that the townspeople have. These jobs range from painter to construction worker. They also see different activities that happen around town as well. These activities include playing in a band or jumping on the trampoline. The...more
Eric Wurm
This dramatic coming-of age story details the sexual encounters of teen bears who are confused and hormonally frustrated. Having noticed an intense desire to mash their genitalia together, they seek the help of a Catholic priest who is only too willing to offer "ASSistance". The now bowlegged and tearful bears waddle home with a vow of silence having been threatened with damnation. Only as adults do they finally have the courage to sue the opprobrious church, who send the offending clergyman to...more
Xae
Gender equality in the workplace! Considering the age of this book, the message is good and relevant.
Kim T.
I totally loved the repetition and rhyming! It was funny and engaging.
Rosa Cline
This book uses the Berenstain Bears to help children learn the difference in girls and boys. Simple cute way of teaching this. An early learning reader.
Luz
I love this book. Great pictures, bright colors funny characters, Teaches the kids that they can do anything they put their mine to. Boys and girls can be anything they want to be. My babies love this book so that sometimes I have to read it 3 or 4 times a day.

Extension:
Bring parents with different jobs; like doctor, construction worker, or any other .
Also pictures of different people doing different jobs.
jacky
I liked this as a beginning reader book, not a board book. Natalie wanted to read it, until I would get about two pages in. Then she lost interest every time. But, as a book for an early reader, I think its great. Lots of sight words, helpful illustrations to work with the harder words. Repetition of the same words a couple times for either confidence or practice. The gender equality theme worked, too.
Ed
Not the best Berenstain Bear book, but one of my daughter's favorites when she was 4. Now she is almost 15, but I made her and her 9 year-old brother listen to the book today in memory of Jan Berenstain's passing. I have many wonderful memories of reading the Berenstain Bear books over and over again. Thanks Jan, for all the wonderful times you brought my children at bedtime. You will be missed.
Miri
He bear and she bear see all the jobs in bear country that they both could have one day, regardless of whether they are a he or a she.
Bunnyjadwiga
This is one of the good, short, and not too moralizing Berenstain books, with a nice strong rhythym. Of course its underpinning message is that other than 'mother' and 'father' there's no job that is gender segregated, but it would be a fun read with children who are just tuning into the difference between gender pronouns (and gender divisions).
My son liked it.
Hope Johnson
This is a great book that expresses to kids that yes we are all either boys or girls BUT girls and boys can do all the same things. I think instilling this idea into children is very important because biases can be created early, and once created they are hard to break. Teaching children that boys and girls are equal are very important.
Lauren Brown
He Bear, She Bear uses the infamous Berenstain Bears to talk about the controversial issue of gender roles. This book is clearly ahead of its time (written in 1974). The book explains that a male or female can be whatever they want to be and are not restricted to a particular job just because of their gender. A great book for kids!
Dolly
Apr 15, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
A great book for beginning readers. It has a Dr. Seuss like rhythm to it with rhyming narrative and some repetitive verses. It strongly emphasizes that anyone, regardless of gender, can aspire to any number of careers. The illustrations are classic Berenstain Bears and it's great for young readers.
Amber Vranich
This is a book that I kept from when I was younger, I read it to my kids a lot, and I really love it. It has an uplifting story line giving your young ones the message that they can do anything they want when they are older.
Ashley Gibson
I thought the book was a great book for young kids. I liked that it taught that it didn't matter whether you were a girl or boy, that you could be anything that you wanted to be with hard work and a dream.
Julie
I find if helpful to review often as my daughter has a tough time with him her he she. Plus, she gets to see that jobs are not limited to male and female. I like the book quite a lot.
Robin
A childhood favorite, and still loved. Great illustration of full equality without the nastiness or drama that so often happens.
Brittany
My kids love all the Berenstain Bears books, and they don't realize there are important lessons in each story.
Tommy
Mysteriously appeared after Danny's birthday party. Pronouns and politically correct discussion of careers.
Sharon
Danny
Pretty good. Lots of details in the pictures. I think I've just read it one too many times. :-)
Jeremiah Lee
A nice early book dealing with cultural standards of gender, in relation to occupations.
Amy
This book shows how each person has a different job to do. It also talks about gender.
Theresa
berenstain bears are great beginning books for early readers
Gray
Way too long for the age group written for.
Katy Brandes
Aug 09, 2011 Katy Brandes marked it as to-read
Shelves: atticus
Has a wonderful message of diversity!
Sophia
I learned to read from this book.
Morris
"I liked when they were being helpers!"
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Glasses for D.W. (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Froggy's Sleepover
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV