Start by marking “Kilrone” as Want to Read:
Kilrone

Kilrone

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,052 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When Major Frank Paddock and Barnes Kilrone were dashing young officers in Paris, they both fell in love with the same woman. But now they are men in exile in one of the harshest territories of the American West. It is against this inhospitable backdrop, where survival itself is a day-to-day struggle, that Paddock makes a fateful decision that will plunge both men into a h ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 203 pages
Published October 1st 1981 by Bantam (first published October 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Kilrone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilrone

Diamond Cowboy
Nov 25, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent western novel comparing the stratagies of the Amercan soldiers to the stratagies and mindsets of the American Indian in a battle set in Montana. The author does a beautiful job describing cenery as well as campaign strategy. I recommend this book to all who like westerns. Enjoy and Be Blessed. Diamond
Allison
Sep 01, 2012 Allison rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This was the first western novel I've read. The early pages were slow but the main battle scene was pretty good. I found myself reading as fast as I could once it started. The Indians were the most interesting part. They were patient and clever, but also courageous and lethal. They would jump in and do some damage, then vanish for hours, leaving the looming question of what they were planning and when they would strike next.

I didn't care much for the main characters who seemed to float above eve
Warren Nast
Jan 29, 2017 Warren Nast rated it it was amazing
Louis L'amour at his best. I read this on my lunch breaks and looked forward to it everyday and was sad to have it end. I felt like I was back in the west. I just love his books and the characters he has.

Men are expected to be men and your word mean something.
Frontier woman are tough and add something to a man's life.
The pieces of history.
The lore that is sprinkled through the books.
No sex.
The violence means something.
People fighting to overcome great odds.
Good stuff.
Jefferson Coombs
Nov 01, 2016 Jefferson Coombs rated it liked it
Shelves: western
In 2004, after my divorce, I needed easy reads to keep my mind working but not something that required a ton of concentration. I chose L'Amour. It was a good choice most of his books, including this one, provide fast stories that are easy to follow with lots of action.
Ryan Mishap
Mar 08, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-lad
The one name titles of so many books involve odd monikers of reluctant heroes, hard men, and fast draws...and the same three or four plots replicated again and again like house designs in a subdivision.

My dad loves all his books and I read over a hundred while staving off the night terrors when growing up.

It is a strange fact about the old west, Indians, and the genocidal take over of the land now called the United States that fiction writing about them is often taken for truth (see Ward Church
Fredrick Danysh
May 03, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Kilrone is a former army officer roaming the West. After finding a massacred troop of cavalry, he sets out to warn the nearest military post. There an alcoholic major assumes command and decides to ride on a rescue mission to advance his stalled career leaving Kilrone and a handful of men to defend the post with its dependents and supplies. This is an engrossing tale by the master of Western fiction.
Susan
Feb 19, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Western. Major Padock wants to get out of the downward spiral in his career so takes a chance that the Indians won't attack the post when he is away chasing those who attacked M Troop. He leaves a post manned by a few non military, sick and those is the jail. Also leaves Kilrone,ex military, a drifter who brought the news of M Troop's problems.
Carol and Gary Curtis
Jan 17, 2015 Carol and Gary Curtis rated it really liked it
Excellent book, in the classic L'Amour style. I found all the plot changes very enjoyable. The romance connection at the end was weak but no real problem. The major villian was dispatched in normal western fashion. Too bad Dog couldn't have met a similar fate.
Theresa Ramp
Jan 22, 2015 Theresa Ramp rated it really liked it
This was my first Lamour book, and it was pretty much what I was expecting it to be. It had a hard, troubled main character who faces many challenges, and saves the day in the end. That being said, the story was enjoyable and I will definitely be picking up another couple books by this author.
Tyler Auffhammer
Nov 03, 2016 Tyler Auffhammer rated it really liked it
Another great Louis L'Amour classic. Great tale with a great story. The climax did seem kind of skipped over and I would have liked more about the main character at the end.
Shane Lutz
May 04, 2015 Shane Lutz rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very good book. I always enjoying reading Louis L'Amour books because there always so full of adventure and excitement.
Tyas
Sep 22, 2008 Tyas rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I was, am still, a lover of Wild West stories - and this one amazed me so much with the characters, especially that of Barney Kilrone.
Jimmy
Apr 23, 2013 Jimmy rated it did not like it
Read this in high school. If you've read one, you really have read them all. But then again, if your a western fan, you'll love it- because most westerns are all the same for the most part anyway.
Valerie Downs
Apr 21, 2016 Valerie Downs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read.

I have read this author's books for many years. They are always good. That is something that you can always count on.
Mar 15, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Holy freakin cow!! What a great book! Tons of battle/fighting sceans that put you into the moment! A great western novel that will keep you on your toes and wanting to know more.
Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl)
Jan 10, 2014 Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Had to read this for my literary types class for the western unit. It wasn't too bad though I don't think I'll be continuing the western reading in my free time.
Andrew Tucker
Andrew Tucker rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Cody Perry
Cody Perry rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
kevinnigli
kevinnigli rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Nita
Nita rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jerrica Knight
Jerrica Knight rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Danny Dutcher
Danny Dutcher rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Tommy Sherer
Tommy Sherer rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2008
Nelda
Nelda rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2010
Juqu
Juqu rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Jeremy Harrison
Jeremy Harrison rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Corey Hudson
Corey Hudson rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Bent J. Broadhead
Bent J. Broadhead rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Christie Dahms
Christie Dahms rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
  • Fate Takes a Hand
  • Desert Gold
  • Paradise Valley
  • The Baby Jackpot (Safe Harbor Medical, #10)
  • A Taste of the Forbidden (Buenos Aires Nights, #1)
  • No More Sweet Surrender
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Royal Bridesmaids
  • Cheyenne Amber
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Bull Hunter
  • The Long Way Home (Chesapeake Diaries, #6)
  • The Sword Dancer (Lovers and Rebels, #1; Tang Dynasty, #4)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...