Start by marking “The Bears' Vacation” as Want to Read:
The Bears' Vacation

The Bears' Vacation (The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books)

Stan and Jan Berenstain take readers on a fun-filled trip to the beach in this classic Beginner Book, edited by Dr. Seuss. “Hooray! Hooray! We’re on our way! Our summer vacation starts today!” School’s out, and the Bear family is ready for a vacation at the beach. Whether the Bears are sailing, swimming, surfing, snorkeling, or having a run-in with an angry whale, Father B ...more
Published August 12th 1968 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Bears' Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bears' Vacation

Cassandra Gelvin
Oct 07, 2016 Cassandra Gelvin rated it liked it
Papa Bear is a hypocrite.

Written in rhyme. It's a really old book from the 1960s when Brother was the only child and he was called Small Bear. In a case of false advertising, the cover has been redrawn more recently in the more modern style. The rhymes are sometimes okay, but sometimes the rhythm is off, like Then, on the other hand,/we might/end up on those rocks./You see? I was right!

Basically, Papa Bear is an idiot. This seems more common in the older books. He thinks he knows what to do, but
Devi Henn
The Bear family goes to visit the ocean for a family vacation. Papa Bear tries to teach his son the rules of water safety, but things don't go as smoothly as planned.
This could be tied into the classroom by talking about the school's own safety rules, and even the classroom rules. It could be talked about why we have rules. Students could make up a list of their own ideal rules and explain why they think they should be installed.
Jordan Lee
Apr 16, 2013 Jordan Lee rated it really liked it
The Bears’ decide to take a visit to the beach. Papa Bear takes this as an opportunity to teach his little Bear about proper safety at the beach. This could also translate to the classroom to teach students about how to be safe around water, and the dangerous things that can occur at the beach. The beach seems like it is just a place for fun and games, but there is some real dangers that can occur there. This book does a good job laying out what young people need to know when at the beach. The B ...more
Jenny Houle
Dec 16, 2014 Jenny Houle rated it liked it
It's so weird to me still, to see the "newer" of these books and not have Brother and Sister Bear in them, but to instead have Little Bear. Some day, I'll get over that fact because I do realize that I grew up reading them and am now reading them to everyone else's kids.

I also struggle with the fact that Papa Bear is a sort of the charge ahead and "teach my kid what not to do by doing all the things that could get him hurt" kind of dad. It's a generalizing stereotype that bugs me, even in a chil
Mar 21, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Waaaaaay back before they started their moralizing series of paperbacks, the Berenstain Bears starred in a series of early readers. These are MUCH funnier than the paperbacks, let me tell you!

In this one, Papa Bear resolves to teach Small Bear how to be Safe at the Beach, and loads him up with tip after tip... each one illustrated in graphic detail when Papa Bear forgets to follow his own advice and ends up needing to be saved by his son. LOL!

This sort of humor is a big hit with my nieces, and f
Tig Carson
Mar 18, 2015 Tig Carson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Top 3 childhood favorite! This book has everything a kid needs. The art is awesome, it's funny, it teaches you lessons, it's not too short, and it also teaches you numbers without knowing about it. This story takes you on vacation with the Berenstain Bears. Papa bear sets out to show his son all the dangers of the sea, but accidentally makes every mistake in the process. The son learns from it all, but Papa bear most likely did not. Ha!

Def a must for any children new to reading. Highly recommen
Oct 19, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another one of my favorite books to read. This book is not like the typically berenstain most teach a lesson in a normal day to day setting. This one though is teaching a lesson in a comedian type of a way. I laughed the whole time I was reading it. Which makes the kids want you to read it over and over. When you enjoy reading a book to a child it makes the child enjoy it more making it both if your favorites
Sep 10, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
My son, who recently started Kindergarten, read about half of this book by himself -- and it is a pretty long book. It is unusual to see numbers written out in book that are not specifically about numbers, but they were in this book, and that was great.

I haven't been a fan of Berenstain Bears books for years. I felt like they had become too earnest and lost their sense of humor. This book won me over.

Kalin Schwab
Jul 13, 2015 Kalin Schwab rated it liked it
The Bears’ decide to take a visit to the beach. Papa Bear takes this as an opportunity to teach his little Bear about proper safety at the beach. The beach seems like it is just a place for fun and games, but there is some real dangers that can occur there. This book does a good job laying out what young people need to know when at the beach. These books are an awesome way to teach children these small lessons that they will need to know their whole life.
Sarah Zarymbski
Dec 04, 2015 Sarah Zarymbski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng261
The Bears' Vacation is a part of the Berenstien Bears series, and in this book they go on their summer vacation. Papa Bear shows Little Bear how to do everything in the water, but ends up doing everything he says not to. It is a comical book for young beginner readers. I had this book when I was young and I loved reading it with my grandma. I would say the book is for preschool-1st grade, and would be good to have in a classroom.
Nov 16, 2015 Rina rated it it was amazing
A little long for a beginner book. Still, a nice pleasant rhythm and artwork that my baby enjoys. The Berenstain Bears beginner books are all becoming popular stories for my four-month-old. I think the rhyme is mellowing and the colorful drawings are enjoyable for him. He's now trying to hold the pages. I wonder if there are board book versions of the Berenstain Bears. We're just asking for paper cuts and ripped pages at the moment.
Jan 20, 2014 Maxwell rated it really liked it
Why does Papa do that? Max kept asking. He laughed when Papa did not read the sign. He laughed when Papa hit his head on the stick. He was too tired to read this book himself, his eyes kept closing but he asked me to sit in his room and read it while he fell asleep. He made it through the whole book, asked for Ferdinand and fell asleep on the second to last page.
Amanda Rathan
Jan 22, 2012 Amanda Rathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed this book because I like how it was very easy to learn the rules and safety of the ocean or any body of water. I found this piece of literature to be humorous and therefore it is able to keep a young student/reader interested in the story. Also, the use of words in this picture book allows for the child reading it to broaden their vocabulary as well.
Sep 01, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
This was another very funny story featuring Papa Bear. On a holiday to the beach, Papa Bear tries to teach how to be safe at the resort, getting into a lot of danger himself. Entertaining with a serious message, this book is great.
Fun pictures, easy reader, and a funny story that rhymes...perfect for kids to listen to or to learn to read. I love reading this to Rose, even if she doesn't yet have the attention span for the whole book.
Apr 23, 2012 Dee-Ann rated it it was amazing
These were my favourite series when I was young ... and they still make me laugh. Read it to my 6 year old son last night and he enjoyed it, tried to predict what misadventure would happen next, and still got surprised.
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
One of the Berenstain Bear's first books... full of lines the rhyme and are simple but yet still holds the reader-listener and even brings smiles and giggles to those that read-listen to it.
Dad has to show baby bear all the dangers of the seashore. Fun, silly and a delight from start to finish. You just can't go wrong with the Berenstain Bears series! :)
Jenny Wright
Oct 05, 2012 Jenny Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
This book has two elements that I am just a sucker for: rhyming and The Berenstain Bears which I read as a child. Cute book about safety at the beach.
Aug 13, 2016 Jeremy rated it did not like it
A stupid dad is the norm for these books. Read again on Dec. 17, 2013, and Jan. 5, 2014. What can I say? My daughter likes the bears.
Jocelyn Haeberle
Oct 07, 2011 Jocelyn Haeberle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Loved this book as a child. This was before the Bears books started cramming lessons down our throats and let us find the morals on our own.
Feb 21, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite early Berenstain Bear books. Has simple words, simple sentences, rhyming text, and fantastic illustrations.

themes: beaches, bears, families, vacations
May 29, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first graders laughed and laughed at this book. It was great fun. Papa Bear really took a beating though. Very enjoyable.
Amy Rogers
Apr 05, 2015 Amy Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What a delightful story for a beginning reader. Full of fun and you might accidentally learn something. I love it
Jul 02, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
I remember being annoyed by how stupid the dad was (Papa Bear, I guess) - the whole book was about him being an idiot and messing things up.
Amanda Clark
Amanda Clark rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Je74393 rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Jenna rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
Micah Jones
Micah Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Chris Trumbull
Chris Trumbull rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
  • Wings on Things
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Stop that Ball!
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R))
  • Walter the Farting Dog Goes on a Cruise
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Thomas and the Big Big Bridge (Thomas & Friends)
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • The Best Place to Read
  • The Very Brave Bear
  • Stella, Fairy of the Forest
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • The M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Counting Book
  • Oliver
  • Summer (Beginner Books)
  • Just Shopping With Mom (Little Critter)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears Beginner Books (8 books)
  • The Big Honey Hunt