Start by marking “The Long Surrender” as Want to Read:
The Long Surrender

The Long Surrender

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Should she accept this second chance?

Three years before, Selina's brief and diastrous marriage to Ashley Dent had ended in divorce. Now he had turned up and was pressuring her to marry him again.

"If you thought I'd gone out of your life for good, you were wrong," he informed her menacingly. "I don't give up anything without a struggle."

Circumstances had changed and Selina
Paperback, Mills & Boon Romance #1443, 192 pages
Published November 1978 by Mills & Boon (first published August 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Surrender

Temptation by Charlotte LambFrustration by Charlotte LambThe Devil's Arms by Charlotte LambSavage Surrender by Charlotte LambForbidden Fire by Charlotte Lamb
Favorite Charlotte Lamb Romances
9th out of 32 books — 50 voters
Bond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamThe Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamThe Ultimate Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Price of a Bride by Michelle ReidSale Or Return Bride by Sarah Morgan
Best Harlequin Presents Novels
78th out of 355 books — 355 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 18, 2010 Verity rated it 5 of 5 stars
One can’t help but notice a pattern in her books so far :
- Gray-eyed, jet-haired hero
- Green-eyed, red / gold-haired, calories-counting heroine
- The punisher aka hero’s overwhelming # of BRRRutal kisses bestowed on terrified heroine, w/ a domino effect, inducing a vivid, disturbing visual of heroine’s enhanced lips by end of the book. Who needs collagen when U have hero’s kisses as natural enhancer ?
- Insecure / violently jealous / possessive / stalkerific hero who can’t accept ‘No’ / “Don’t” f
I am loath to actually admit that I read this piece of complete and utter fucking shit. My real rating for this book is minus a hundred fucking stars and a death sentence.

What's that? Tell you what I really think? Well sit down, IT WOULD BE MY PLEASURE.

This book is what could possibly be described as THE WORST ROMANCE EVER WRITTEN IN THE HISTORY OF TIME AND SPACE, though if she's written anything else like this I could be wrong. As a human I feel I must disagree with everything it repre
Did not want to even rate it 1 star

Hero was a cruel cold mean abusive rapist monster and heroine taking all the blame for his behaviour and even taking his slappings and then she apologises cause she provoked him so he slapped her i was WTH???

Its the worst book i have read

Ignore it
Do Not Touch it
No Stars.

A truly terrible book with an absolutely rotten hero!

The H & H have been previously married but due to an attempted rape by her stepfather, the heroine was afraid of sex and the marriage broke down.

The heroine's brother gets into gambling debt and she approaches her ex husband for the money. He agrees to give her 10,000 pounds if she will remarry him. He says he will own her for the rest of her life.

They go on honeymoon. He treats the H like dirt. One minute he says that he wants
Nightclub singer reluctantly agrees to marry her ex-husband Hero again as payment for the money he loans her to pay for her brother’s gambling debt. Their 1st marriage only lasted 6 months due to heroine’s sexual issues and Hero is willing to persevere through it this time around. When the truth re: her sexual issues come out, they find that there are other problems they have to tackle to make their marriage work.

This was one dysfunctional romance. Lamb
Stalkerific hero + damaged heroine + the CL touch = 5 stars.
I only managed to read half of this book and I still feel incredibly dirty (and reading the other reviews here shows me that I was wise to stop when I did). I got to the part where the "hero" (can I use double quotation marks around that word? Because I don't think one set adequately indicates how far from a hero this guy is) admits that he knows that the heroine’s stepfather was mentally, physically, and sexually abusive – and in turn is apparently going to act just like him. Yay?! Man, I have ...more
If you're a fan of the very smitten hero (even the obsessively very smitten hero), then this one may be for you. This book seems to have love-it or hate-it reviews -- the angst and cruelty/revenge plot in this one is definitely on the more intense end of the spectrum. The hero was cruel, but actually I didn't think he did anything all that bad in comparison to other old HPs (and other Charlotte Lamb books) I've read -- there was no cold-blooded, angry rape -- just some punishing kiss attacks and ...more
Simply awful. The heroine has issues with sex due to her abusive step father trying to rape her when she was 16, followed by a traumatic trial and her mother's death. Knowing this, the hero slaps her for supposedly leading him on and then turning him down.

Three years ago, they were married to each other (hero didn't know about the attempted rape back then). He gets fed up with heroine freaking out about sex and tells her he is going to find another woman for the night. Heroine tries to kill hers
Oct 11, 2014 Raslalique rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sadists, masochists, abusers of all kinds who need a refresher course
Chantal Main
April Brookshire
The hero only pretends to be understanding of the abuse the heroine suffered growing up. Once she's finally over it, he throws this whole "poor me" tantrum. And the heroine being so suicidal throughout the book? That's different.
Disgusting hero
Jul 02, 2014 Jay added it
The only positive I can say about reading this book is hopefully the money I spent on it is used towards the therapy this author so clearly needs.
I mean this book made me hate men. And women. If this is a relationship that the author considers "romantic", I hope for her sake she stays single forever.
Totally disgusting hero, I couldnt finish the book. The heroine annoyed the hell out of me too for bowing to the hero's and her brother's me so mad i threw the book in a corner,I just can't deal with these overly simpering chics and these overly cruel dudes.
I regret reading this book so terrible story.Heroine who had attempted rape history but flirt with strangers(third -party) and dirty old man.She Kept resisting her hubby to make love to her but her actions tell different story.
Blaze King
I hated the hero at times for his cruelty. Wanted to bash his head open. But I loved every minute of reading this book!! He was Obsessed with the heroine.

I have always liked to read about heroes who love so much that they are tormented by it. Find them rather exciting in the pages of a book.

Ashley was jealous, obsessive and possessive. But when in the end he opened his heart it almost made up for forgiveness for all things he did.

The leading lady's sucide attempt was the only uncomfortable momen
I gave it two stars to be nice but personally I disliked this one. I usually love CL novels but this one turned me off.
it is my first book i read i English ! i looooooooooooved it <3
Fre06 Begum
Wow I loved this book what an obsessed stalkerfic hero he was so crazy for her! Def this hero is one of the best crazy in love psycho hero I still love. I really love the older HP books I really miss un-PC hero's. One of my fave CL books for sure.
Titre VF : En un long corps à corps
Titre VO : Long surrender
Interesting but too long.
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Claire marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Lekshmy Dileep
Lekshmy Dileep marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
  • Love Unspoken
  • Shattered Trust
  • A Lingering Melody
  • Breaking Point
  • Pagan Lover
  • By Love Bewitched
  • Return to Santa Flores (Loveswept, #40)
  • A Willing Surrender (Harlequin Presents, #976)
  • A Whirlwind Marriage
  • Melting Fire
  • Love Conspiracy
  • The Judas Kiss
  • Gold Ring of Betrayal
  • The Trophy Husband
  • Comparative Strangers
Sheila Ann Mary Coates Holland
aka Sheila Holland, Sheila Coates, Charlotte Lamb, Sheila Lancaster, Victoria Woolf, Laura Hardy

Sheila Ann Mary Coates was born on 1937 in Essex, England, just before the Second World War in the East End of London. As a child, she was moved from relative to relative to escape the bombings of World War II. Sheila attended the Ursuline Convent for Girls. On leaving scho
More about Charlotte Lamb...
Temptation Forbidden Fire Fever Savage Surrender Dark Dominion