Start by marking “What Da Vinci Didn't Know: An LDS Perspective” as Want to Read:
What Da Vinci Didn't Know: An LDS Perspective

What Da Vinci Didn't Know: An LDS Perspective

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Few books in recent years have enjoyed the popularity of Dan Brown's novel, The Da Vinci Code. Set amid the museums and cathedrals of Europe, the book purports to identify the Holy Grail and describes mysterious rituals and secret religious beliefs that have been kept hidden from the world by an ancient conspiracy. The most sensational claim made in the book is that Jesus ...more
Published May 2006 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Da Vinci Didn't Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Da Vinci Didn't Know

Janey
I wish I would have read this book right before, or after, I read "The Da Vinci Code". Very interesting! In reference to the title stating "An LDS Perspective," this book rarely mentions LDS perspectives; like maybe three or four very brief sentences, so I hope that statement doesn't turn some people off from reading the book. It was much more a Christian history or art history book.

Also, I loved the first chapter or so where the authors teach us the right way to take a respectful interest in hi
Don
Found this book on the discount table at Seagull Books. The authors all agree that Dan Brown's book is entertaining and well-written, but their careful examination of scholarly sources reveals some very blatant errors in the Da Vinci Code. Whether they were used as literary license to enhance the intriguing plot or Brown's agenda goes further than that to cast doubt on basic tenets of Christian belief is anyone's guess. Wonder if he has ever been interviewed or questioned regarding his provocati ...more
Leanne Franke
Good read, a great companion for someone like me who is LDS and who enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and wants a good religious discussion on some of the material presented within. Excellent read.
Kristopher Swinson
4.6: I wasn't blown away, but I was immensely pleased.

This constitutes a fine team effort from three knowledgeable scholars. One gets the sense that, in concert, they produce a benevolent whole: one of them would gladly take Brown to task, while another is altogether too polite in seeking the good in everyone and everything. Instead, we just get the cold, hard facts presented in a fairly readable tone. They don't quite pull off the desired history-can-be-enjoyable tone, but it was more than suff
Lance
This book confirmed much of what I already sensed while reading The Da Vinci Code, but I also learned a great deal about religious and art history that I did not previously know. Of particular interest to me was the chapter discussing the question of Jesus's marital status. It provided no concrete answers; it didn't say that Jesus was married, as The Da Vinci Code assumes, but it didn't not say it either. But it did refute the idea that if Jesus were married he would be human and therefore not d ...more
Cory
May 21, 2012 Cory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
I liked this book, because it had a lot of information in it. However, a lot of the questions that are presented in the Da Vinci Code cannot be answered. So, for them to answer these questions is hard because the evidence doesn't exist to prove or disprove, for example, Jesus being married to Mary Magdelene, in the book they basically said it is possibly, but we cannot answer it. But, nonetheless, it was a good book with lots of early Christianity information and I learned lots of new things in ...more
Lorena
The authors (one of whom is Bro. Skinner - our New Testament teacher when we were in Jerusalem and whom we love), point out all the discrepancies and fallacies in the novel. They ask why, if this is a novel, does Mr. Brown say at the beginning of the book that all statements and art work, etc. in this book are accurate and factual. They take him to task for that. Very good follow-up to the novel - I liked their careful viewpoint and knowledgeable outline of the facts as we know them.
Sierra
This book makes some interesting points (that the Hebrew phrase "touch me not" when Mary and Jesus meet at the tomb would better translate to something like "cease from embracing me" and denotes a more personal relationship between the two, for instance) but I felt the book lacked a really in-depth look. Of course its purpose was mostly to distill the concept that everything in The DaVinci Code is completely presented correctly, which I think this book did.
Margaret
One of the authors, Richard Neitzel Holzapfel, was one of my BYU professors and he is an expert in ancient scripture and language. He and 2 other BYU professors discuss aspects of the book, The Da Vinci Code, that do not promote Christ's divinity. I liked The Da Vinci Code and read it as exciting fiction, not well-thought-out history. This book discusses the sources Dan Brown used and gives us an academic view of these sources.
Patty
"All description of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate." This quote comes from page 1 of The Da Vinci Code. "What Da Vinci Didn't Know" put holes in that statement. This is one of several books written to counter the lies in the Code. Easy reading of deep research - years and years of research - not just a few months research for a book (Code)that is definitely fiction.
Kathy
Interesting if you like history.
Trisha
Always good to remember that even historical novels are going to take some liberty with the details. I liked how the historians discussed a spiritual side too, noting that the book diminishes the divinity of the Savior, which was one of my major gripes with the book. As a mystery it's fine...just can't take all the "history" as fact.
Dad
Very well written and interesting critique of Brown's book "The Da Vinci Code". We all knew Brown was very biased when it came to the Catholic Church specifically and Christ's divinity in general. This book does a great job exposing that bias and bringing to the light a factual look at early Christianity. Well done!
Etta Mcquade
When "The DaVinci Code" first came out, many people, including regligionists, were in an uproar about some of Dan Brown's premises. This book answers the questions, "Was Jesus married?, "Did he give Mary Magdalene the authority to carry on the church?", "Was the Holy Grail the feminine mystic?",etc. Very interesting.
Summers
Just a really good reminder that we shouldn't take fiction seriously nor depend on the twisted "facts." This was a very easy and quick read, but very good. It's unfortunate that some people might base their religious beliefs on The Da Vinci Codes' liberal views. Worth reading, if you've read or seen The Da Vinci Code.
leslie
Very short, and, let's be honest - kind of dry. But it WAS intended to be only a scholarly examination of the Da Vinci Code's claims to accuracy, not a page-turner. It also takes on the "supposed" controversy surrounding Mary Magdalene. It was very straightforward and what I was expecting to hear.
Todd Cannon
What I liked most about this book is that the authors point out that Davinci Code is fiction. They then go on to show reasons why Davinci Code is not a very scholarly work and that no one should treat it as such. I just wish the book was longer and that it gave more information.
Carrie
I classify this as more of a "bathroom reader" than a novel to be read cover to cover. But the information was extremely enlightening, especially when so many people seem to make pop-culture their religion and accept literary fantasy as fact. This is eye-opening and clarifying.
Andrea
Jul 14, 2007 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS readers of "The Da Vinci Code"
The book really should be titled, "What Dan Brown Didn't Know", since it doesn't really talk about Da Vinci that much. It takes a closer look at the sources for some of what Brown claims are the "facts" behind his book, from an LDS (Mormon) perspective. Very interesting.
Matt
It is a shame that the authors would follow up such a nice series on the New Testament with this pathetic book. Was not worth my time. Jokingly call it "What Da Vinci Didn't Know Couldn't Hurt Him." Not sure what this means. Just makes me chuckle.
Tamra
Although much of this slim book was written in a dry, clinical way, there were interesting points which countered some of the claims made in the Dan Brown book, along with a stern reminder that "The Da Vinci Code" is FICTION.
Mark
Very interesting- it's been like 2 years since I read the da Vinci code, but a great perspective on what historical documents from ancient christianity we have and what conclusions we can draw.
Madison
I still love The Da Vinci Code, don't get me wrong. But I did appreciate the insight and analysis that this book provided.
Kris
Excellent for anyone confused about the doctrines explored in Da Vinci code from the LDS perspective.
Michael
Fascinating observations that I hadn't even thought of and a good reminder that fiction really is fiction.
Daniel
A very fair analysis of Dan Brown's book. Lots of interesting information. Overall a great read.
Kaye
An LDS rebuttle to parts of The Da Vinci Code. Was somewhat informative, but not much depth.
Mary
This book does a great job of explaining the "myths" promoted in The Da Vinci Code.
Rachel
Excellent religious historical proof showing the inaccuracies in the "Davinci Code"
Heather
Dec 31, 2007 Heather added it
Recommends it for: lds people
After reading The Da Vinci Code, listen to this CD. It gives you a reality check.
  • The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner
  • Into the Light (sequel to Out of Darkness)
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Student Manual
  • Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers (Spiritual Patterns, #1)
  • Be Your Best Self
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Living in the Eleventh Hour: Preparing for the Glorious Return of the Savior
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • The Greatest Quest
  • Presidents and Prophets: The Story of America's Presidents and the LDS Church
  • Prophecy and Modern Times
  • Get An Attitude! Heroic Examples From The Book Of Mormon
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
Dr. Richard Holzapfel is a Professor of Church History in the Religious Education Department at BYU. He attended BYU, Hebrew Union College, and the University of California, Irvine (B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.) emphasizing in Middle Eastern Studies, Jewish History, Ancient History. Dr. Holzapfel began teaching at Brigham Young University in 1993, and has taught in the Church History, Ancient Scripture, ...more
More about Richard Neitzel Holzapfel...
Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament: An Illustrated Reference for Latter-Day Saints Jehovah and the World of the Old Testament: An Illustrated Reference for Latter-Day Saints Sisters at the Well: Women and the Life and Teachings of Jesus Between the Testaments: From Malachi to Matthew Women of Nauvoo