A Second Chance at Eden

A Second Chance at Eden (Confederation Universe)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,163 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Acclaimed bestseller Peter Hamilton has taken the science fiction world by storm with his stunning, grand-scale epic: The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, and The Naked God. Now, with a collection of richly detailed original stories and short novels never before published in the U.S., Peter Hamilton spans more than five centuries in the future history of bite...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Aspect (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Second Chance at Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Second Chance at Eden

Matt Schiariti
Having read and loved the Night's Dawn Trilogy (as well as Fallen Dragon and the Mandell trilogy) it was only natural that I wanted to read Hamilton's collection of short story 'prequels' set in the confederation universe; the same universe that sets the backdrop for the NDT.

A handful of short stories that spans about 500 or so years of history leading up to the Night's Dawn Trilogy, this book paints and interesting picture of the years leading up to the sci fi epic. We get to see the growing pa...more
Robert
This collection of stories, one of which is a novel by 1960-1970s standards, is set in the universe of the bizarrely popular Night's Dawn Trilogy. All of the stories here are better than any of or all of the volumes in that trilogy. The novel is a murder-mystery, something that Hamilton does well. One of the stories features the crew of the Lady MacBeth,, familiar to all Night's Dawn readers. Other stories have disparate settings and themes and that is what makes this book much better than most...more
Eve
A series of short stories set in the same universe as Hamilton's fabulous Reality Dysfunction story. Fills in some of the gaps in the background of this series. Enjoyable stories, some quite poignant, but definitely lacking the punch of the Reality Dysfunction tale. Space opera, to be sure, but Hamilton envisions not only changes in science but changes in people, biological and psychological, as they adapt to their new worlds. This is what makes him such as interesting author.
Robert Day
So, I've had these massive doorstep sized books: the The Night's Dawn Trilogy sat in a box in the attic for the longest time and I really enjoyed Fallen Dragon, and I'm ahead on my quota of books read for the year, and so I thought to myself that I have enough bandwidth to work my way through this epic and not fall behind on my overall books read count. But then I realise that there are 2 companion volumes, this being one and The Confederation Handbook being the other.

I looked it up on the inter...more
Lauren Donoho
This collection is a little uneven, and in keeping with that, it highlights all my most and least favorite things about Hamilton's writing - the sexism is a little more visible, the techno-exposition is a little more random, the world-building is a little more startling. All the stories in Second Chance at Eden are set in the same world as the Night's Dawn trilogy (Reality Dysfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, Naked God), across a wide swathe of the future timeline.

The title novella is actually my...more
Andreas
The trilogy itself consists of:

* The Reality Dysfunction
* The Neutronium Alchemist
* The Naked God

There are also two ancillary volumes:

* A Second Chance at Eden – short story collection
* The Confederation Handbook – reference volume

In the USA, each volume of the trilogy was published in two parts, as evidenced by the thumbnails.

The Night’s Dawn trilogy is a huge story spanning over 4000 pages, in truth one massive multi-volume novel. It tells of a great evil that befalls the otherwise mostly...more
Mind Bridge
This is a book of short stories aimed at providing the social and technological background of the The Night's Dawn trilogy. The stories stand well by themselves, although they are at different levels, thus I will provide my ratings for each one separately:

Sonnie's Edge: 3/5
An introductory story that indirectly describes the initial steps in the development of the bio technologies core to this fictional universe. As in most other stories, Sonnie's Edge applies the current human mentality and soci...more
Joakim Ruud
I first read this one when I was 20, and it doesn't hold up at all. Hamilton the literary cheat is firing on all cylinders here, inventing circumstances and actions and motivations all because they are necessary for the narrative, and never because they make a lick of sense to the characters involved.

There was one short story here that was more interesting than the rest, a kind of psychosexual drama on an isolated island that seemed poised to be a cool little treatise on the nature of personal...more
Peter
Good short stories on their own, but better as background.: This is a series of short stories providing some background to the universe as it exists in the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

As with any collection, some are better than others, but for me those that cover the evolution of Affinity (a form of gene engineered group telepathy), and Bitek (Biological constructs) are particularly welcome.

To be honest, I would have preffered that the final part of the Dawn's night series had been published first, bu

Clayton
I read the book primarily to compliment the reading of the Night's Dawn series. I have only read the Reality Dysfunction so far and wanted to see if I could fill in any backstory by reading this.

The stories in the book that I think matter are and would be perhaps useful reading for someone prior to jumping into the Reality Dysfunction:
- A Second Chance at Eden (backstory on the start of the Edenist culture)
- Escape Route (backstory of Josh's dad and his ship from the Reality Dysfunction)
- Candy...more
Michael O'Donnell
A good read.

A brilliant read.

Explored new ideas and followed a theme. Man beyond the world but the same old things bring us down.
Writing was excellent.

One story in the middle was a little too blatant.

Otherwise.

5 stars.
Dave
I love short stories and this is a great collection. Set in the same universe as the Night's Dawn trilogy but before the start of that epic, these stories fill in the gaps between now and then.

Hamilton is an excellent genre writer, prone to writing fantastically complex space opera. When confined to the short story format most writers like to stick to a single point of view. But somehow Hamilton manages to evoke the feeling of a novel, with multiple points of view, into even some of his shortes...more
Dan Stoner
The Night's Dawn universe is so rich that Hamilton likely has an unlimited number of possible stories he can set there. This collection of stories is laid out chronologically with some of them taking place at key historic moments that eventually led to the complex universe where the novels are set. It was nice to meet important historic characters such as Wing-Tsit Chong and Marcus Calvert. I also enjoyed that some of the stories targeted the pivotal periods and cultural upheavals over developme...more
Bryan
A set of short stories that flesh out the Confederation Universe. There are some weak stories in the middle ("Candy Buds", "Deathday", "New Days Old Times"), but the book is very much rescued by the superb title story, along with "The Lives and Loves of Tiarella Rosa" and "Escape Route". I do think the Confederation well has probably run dry though after this collection (and indeed Hamilton has not revisited it in the 13 years since this book was published).
Tamahome
I've missed The Ham. The title short story is pretty good. I'm actually reading with the iphone app. It's a little confusing when characters talk to each other psychic-ly through 'affinity'. I have a feeling when the book was scanned in, some of the formatting was lost.

EDIT:
'Escape Route' is a pretty good space ship story, but I'm not sure I like how the captain escapes at the end.
Chip
A good set of Hamilton 'universe' short stories. I would recommend to anyone who has read other Peter Hamilton books. Many provide some glimpses into technology and character's that appear in other books. I especially enjoyed the beginnings of the Edenists, as described in the story 'Jupiter 2090: A Second Chance at Eden".
Janne Järvinen
I read this collection to get a feel for Hamilton. It's a mixed bag. Most of the world ideas and plot devices are awesome, but some of the characters are a bit too nasty for my taste. It's a shame, really. I want to like this more, but can't help but feel disappointed, partly because it's so close to being really good.
Colin
The murder mystery story set at a few years after the birth of the Eden habitat is almost a full size novel on its own. The book is worth it, even just for this one story. The last story is set closer to the Night's Dawn trilogy and adds some backstory to characters from those novels.
Joel
This is a selection of novellas from peter F hamilton, that are all very good, and not quite long enough teach be their own book. The one story with jupitor sets the stage for his future sagas, so it is worth reading this one even after reading the others as I did.
Becky
This was a nice chance to revisit the universe Hamilton has created, and give some backstory to the planets you "meet" in the other series.

Easy reading and enjoyable, definitely worth a read if you're a Hamilton fan, but not sure how they stand on their own.
Frank
Usually Peter F. Hamilton scores at least a 4 star... I had a really good time reading the novella, but I felt that the other short stories where to short :() ..... Peter is at his best when he at least can put in a 400 -500 pages .....
Tal
a novella and 6 stories set in the Night's Dawn universe.
Richard
A book of shorter stories, sharing the invention and wit of Hamilton's novels, so this is a good starting point if you feel daunted by the doorstop-size of them. I recommend you take the plunge.
Michael
A great read and a good foundation for reading the rest of The Reality Dysfunction series by Peter F. Hamilton.
Andy Farman
Definitely the ideas percolating up here to take solid novel form in Nightsdawn . Excellent stuff
Radu
A few short stories set in the "Night's Dawn" universe. Nothing too spectacular.
Dev
Hamilton works with epic sci-fi in a way that puts him among the best.
Mark Lyth
Some great short stories, but they all want you leaving more.
Don
Good stories. I really quite enjoyed reading this.
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • Across Realtime
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...
Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1) The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1) Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga, #2) The Dreaming Void (Void, #1) The Evolutionary Void (Void, #3)