Start by marking “A Secret in Salem” as Want to Read:
A Secret in Salem

A Secret in Salem (Days of Our Lives #1)

2.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

Marlena & John have never been so close, and yet so far apart...

Marlena's love, John, has been paralyzed for two years, and she is becoming desperate. Although her love for him has never waned, she must find a cure before they drift too far apart as man and wife. But John's illness may not be all that it seems, and the truth could tear them apart forever.

On t

Published November 1st 2010 by Days of our Lives Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Secret in Salem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Secret in Salem

Wendy Hines
Back in the day, I watched Days of Our Lives religiously. I fell in love with the characters of Luke and Laura, Bo and Hope, Patch and Kayla and more. Then I got a full-time job and bye bye to my soaps! But when I was given the chance to read A Secret in Salem, I jumped at it!

I was not disappointed. Some of my favorite characters brought right back before my eyes. Marlena and John play a big part in this first book of a new trilogy. John is paralyzed and it really wreaking havoc on their marria
Bookaholics
Dec 28, 2010 Bookaholics rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Secret in Salem by Sheri Anderson
Contemporary Romance –Nov. 1st , 2010
4 stars

To retain viewers, television has taken the idea of publishing books related to popular series, of which I am now a convert. Sheri Anderson took pains to tie in the televised soap opera "Days of our Lives" characters into a real page turner that reminded me of the days before television.

Marlena, John, Jack, Jennifer et. al. make their prescribed appearances as the story revolves around a new character known simply as
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of daytime soap operas most memorable couples, John and Marlena must face a new obstacle together. It will test both of John and Marlena’s faith and love. John is dying from something mysterious. Marlena has gone to see some of the best doctors around. Marlena goes to see Dr. Blake Masters. Dr. Master’s is John’s last hope.

Meanwhile, Charlotte Gaines is the daughter of Richard Gaines of Financial Gaines Group, LLC. After Charlotte loses both her parents, Charlotte learns a shocking truth th
Donna
Sep 26, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I am an avid fan of Days of Our Lives. I found that this book brought back John and Marlena Black that had been taken off of the show. It starts with John and Marlena in Switzerland, where they went so John could get back his ability to move again after becoming paralyzed by and injection from Stefano DiMera that was actually meant for Marlena.
We also come to see Belle and Shawn also with their daughter, Claire. They are sailing around the world on a yacht that was given to them by John Black. T
Amanda
Oct 21, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know maybe I missed something along the lines somewhere but I read the description of this book here on Goodreads and then read the book and the whole time I was thinking "Who's this Amelia person they mention in the description?" I can only assume they are talking about "Charley". Although, Amelia and Charley are no where near like sounding names.

As for the actual book, I've been a Days fan for the better half of 20 some years. I appreciated some of the shows story line tie-ins and it
Margaret
May 13, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it
I grabbed this book on a whim, not realizing that it was a Days of Our Lives based book. I honestly thought it was about Salem witches or something similar. I've been a DOOL fan for years, but have missed the older characters immensely, so this book was great for me to read. Marlena and John were always a dream couple, the same with Shawn and Belle, so it was great to read about them.

My biggest complaint was how easily I picked up on where the story was going, especially with Charley and her par
Blodeuedd Finland
So not the freebie for me
Bethany
May 20, 2011 Bethany rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Seriously, the WORST book ever. From the poor pacing to the choppy transitions to the cheesy dialog; the Portuguese used was incorrect and the names inaccurate; the love scenes either "thrust" upon us or too long and drawn out. Here's the thing; I had zero expectations. I mean, it is, for goodness sakes, a Days of Our Lives novel. I figured it would just be a little bit of a fun, light read. It was even too bad for fun, sadly.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish it
Kathryn
Apr 30, 2011 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I watched Days from junior high through my early 30s, and I got the book after seeing some of the veteran cast at the RT book signing. Have to say, this book is not very good. Too much head-hopping and name-dropping, and the title is sort of misleading. Book doesn't even take place in Salem!

Just not a well-written book. It reads like mediocre fan fiction.

Krissy
Aug 04, 2011 Krissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was, in a word, ridiculous.

But, given that it's a Days of Our Lives novel, I suppose that was to be expected. It was *almost* awful enough to be great. For a short, fluffy read, it wasn't the worst thing I've ever read. It read essentially like Days of Our Lives fanfiction, with better grammar than the normal internet-offered fare.
Ashley
Oct 02, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very cheesy. However, the plot of the Gaines financial debacle was interesting, the characters were entertaining and over the top, and if you are a Days fan you will be entertained by characters we love.
Lisa
Aug 06, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If your a Days of our Lives fan, I think you will enjoy this book. If you really miss John, Marlena, Shawn and Belle this will really get you wanting more. True to Days form, this book is all about the drama!
Leah
Sep 19, 2011 Leah rated it did not like it
Horrible book. It had too many characters right from the start. Easy and boring. No substance whatsoever. I will not be reading any more from this author even when it's free.
Jen
May 21, 2011 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After I finished this, I found out it was a book about Days of Our Lives characters. That explains a lot. Like how I didn't understand one thing that happened.
Raquel Auriemma
Jul 07, 2011 Raquel Auriemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Days Fans
I have been watching Days of Our Lives for well over 20 years now and I really enjoyed reading this and picturing the characters as I know them.
Dawn Cook
It was hard for me to follow at first there are a lot of story lines running through the book. In the end it was an okay book.
Michelle
Mar 27, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Its a soap opera so what do you expect. None of the characters in the book were my favorites so it was just ok.
Irinak
Sep 19, 2012 Irinak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Now I remember why I don’t watch “A Days of our Lives.” I’ve tried for the first 50 pages, but than just gave up.
Stacy
May 05, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read...stayed true to the insane plots of soap operas.
Veronica Lindsey
Wasn't as much fun as watching the soap, but interesting nonetheless.
Marla
Apr 24, 2011 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving it. Bringing back all my favorite characters from DOOL
Bayareabookaholic
too many discordant strands at the get go
Connie
Jan 14, 2012 Connie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into this book at all.
Mimi Lovingbooks
Jan 09, 2012 Mimi Lovingbooks rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, free
didn't even finish this. ick.
AH
May 04, 2011 AH marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Kobo free download 5/4/11
Sheri
Aug 02, 2012 Sheri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun read for every DOOL fan!
Loretta Johnson
Loretta Johnson is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Franci
Franci marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
  • Bridleton
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Song of Renewal
  • SEALed with a Kiss (SEALed, #1)
  • Sparks Fly
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Dark Legacy
  • Last Night's Kiss (Clayton Family, #5)
  • One Lucky Cowboy (Lucky, #2)
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Dating Mr. December
  • Brandon's Story (Control Freak, #1)
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • The Mistress' House
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • Beyond the Quiet: Second Chances: The Awakening

Days of Our Lives (3 books)
  • A Stirring from Salem