Start by marking “Trance-portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World” as Want to Read:
Trance-portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World

Trance-portation: Learning to Navigate the Inner World

The ability to move from the ordinary into an altered state of consciousness is one of the most valuable skills in both magic and religion. From the ceremonial magician to the shaman, using trance work to explore inner realms is essential to the magical process of healing, transcendence, and wisdom desired throughout diverse occult and spiritual traditions. Trance-Portatio ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trance-portation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trance-portation

Bridgett
This was a great introduction to altered states of consciousness and types of meditation, including visualizations and interacting with spirit guides. I learned a lot and intend to implement a lot of the suggestions.
Rebecca Cooper
I've been a pagan for 15 years and have been veering towards shamanism and mysticism, so I picked up this book hoping to strengthen some beginning trance and journeying techniques as it is not my strong suit. I was very disappointed in this book, as was our whole book group. This is one big book of prep and fluff with no real meat in it. I read the whole thing, and thought I must have missed something, because the author never actually gets to an exercise where she tells you how to journey. That ...more
Lindsay
**IMPORTANT NOTE FOR GROUPS**
Directions for group work is in Appendix 1. Unfortunately, this little tidbit is not mentioned within the main chapters. There is very little direction for group work within the book proper. When you're going from an ebook version, it's much harder to just flip through the book, so we had no idea that group exercises were sitting there.

Overall I'd have to say that I was disappointed with this book. The first half of the book gave pretty detailed and informative direc
Fawn
May 10, 2011 Fawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall the book was very helpful; although most was review, the last chapters of the book were extremely informative. Addressing problems such as "spiritual emergencies" and group adaptation to trance is probably what I will take with me as I travel on this path of serving the Gods. Highly recommend for anyone wanting to start serious Otherworld journeys.
Ancestral Gael
The information contained in this book may be sound, but I found the style of delivery rather dry and uninspiring; I had to push myself to read the book, as it was part of a book club group read. I am not a newcomer to trance, and perhaps this made it more difficult for me to engage with the information provided.

The book is designed to be read over a period of months, as each chapter's exercise is undertaken and understood before moving on to the next.

There appears to be a serious flaw with the
Ancestral Gael

There appears to be a serious flaw with the
Kecia
Aug 19, 2012 Kecia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may be because I read it in an e-version that the organization was hard to follow. She introduces an exercise, but it can't be implemented until the whole chapter is read, at which point, she supplies a list of exercises to "practice." If you want to work through this book sequentially, as she highly recommends, you have to construct your own schedule, pulling it piece by piece from the suggestions.

There was some attempt to embrace alternate traditions for the journey setting, but the result
Min
Feb 21, 2016 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A highly readable, flowing text that reaps the benefit of having worked this material with others as both teacher, and practitioner. Those students share a few insights along the way to demonstrate the variety of experiences possible. Several references to helpful books strengthens the possibilities once these exercises are tried.
Offering a slow, progressive program to build a solid foundation in trance work. Beginning by explaining the process, and how best to manage in a modern Western framew
Morgan
Dec 31, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for those who wish to begin using trance and journey techniques. The author does a thorough job of explaining the principles behind this type of spiritual work, but what makes this book such a good resource is the practical advice. The book touches on common problems people face, includes cautions and protection ideas, as well as how to connect to Otherwordly spirits and deities and what to expect.I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in beginning this ...more
Kathryn Harriet
Mar 25, 2014 Kathryn Harriet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the material was redundant to me personally, but I also picked up a few things I hadn't been aware of before. However, I think this book is a wonderfully clear, concise, and thorough manual for any responsible novice of trance work; a determined traveller can get a lot of mileage out of this book. Well done!
Elle Cardenas
Jan 27, 2013 Elle Cardenas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently taking the course that this book accompanies- and it's such a great read with good practices and exercises that I feel I can keep going back to. The material is well-written and very informative. Even if you feel like you're at a more advanced stage of practice, this book serves as a great basic/primer to have on-hand to aid in building these particular skills.
Dedrick
Oct 29, 2013 Dedrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Very thorough book about practicing trance and meditation. I enjoyed the mix of spiritual and empirical observations. This book covers a lot of territory and may be an advanced beginner book for people exploring meditation and trance, allowing those who have started with the basics to begin making more complex journeys into their subconscious or other psychic worlds.
Susan
Sep 28, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently reading this book right now!
Gina
Oct 04, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on meditation and spirit journeying. I only wish she had some guided meditations to go along with the book. I would buy that in a heartbeat!
Spider Goddess
Feb 11, 2012 Spider Goddess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous primer for the beginning journeyer. Paxson helps one through various stages and aspects of trance work. I definitely recommend it for anyone new to the experience.
Shannah
Shannah rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2017
Merel
Merel rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Faith Mattingly
Faith Mattingly rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Mia
Mia rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Maja Korpvinge
Maja Korpvinge rated it really liked it
May 13, 2011
Suzie
Suzie rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
OYJQ
OYJQ rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Chantal burke
Feb 08, 2011 Chantal burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im learning so much from this book really like it
Saevör
Saevör rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2009
Ashtoreth Eldritch
Ashtoreth Eldritch rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Kissa
Kissa rated it it was ok
May 19, 2013
Cs Park
Cs Park rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Dinysio Odinysio
Dinysio Odinysio rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Laura Fuller
Laura Fuller rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Power Spellcraft for Life: The Art of Crafting and Casting for Positive Change
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure
  • Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner: A Book of Prayer, Devotional Practice, and the Nine Worlds of Spirit
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Practical Solitary Magic
  • Nine Worlds of Seid Magic: Ecstasy and Neo-Shamanism in North-European Paganism
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life
  • Mrs Darley's Pagan Whispers: A Celebration of Pagan Festivals, Sacred Days, Spirituality and Traditions of the Year
  • Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • Psybermagick: Advanced Ideas in Chaos Magick
  • The Candle and the Crossroads: A Book of Appalachian Conjure and Southern Root-Work
Diana L. Paxson (born 1943) is a novelist and author of nonfiction, primarily in the fields of Paganism and Heathenism. Her published works include fantasy and historical fiction novels, as well as numerous short stories. More recently she has also published nonfiction books about Pagan and Heathen religions and practices.

In addition to her multiple novels and collaborations, she has written over
More about Diana L. Paxson...

“A disciplined body can dance or climb a mountain because the muscles obey the will. A disciplined mind can travel between the worlds.” 0 likes