Start by marking “The Shield That Fell from Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Shield That Fell from Heaven
read excerpt* *Different edition

The Shield That Fell from Heaven

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Recipient of the KIRKUS STAR. Named to Kirkus Reviews' Best of 2011. From Kirkus Reviews: A French journalist encounters the American Civil War-and something even stranger-in 1861 Kentucky. Edouard de Grimouville, a supercilious French stringer for Horace Greeley's New York Tribune, travels to the town of Somerset, Ky., on the eve of the Civil War-a conflict in which the n ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Groton Jemez Publishing (first published March 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shield That Fell from Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shield That Fell from Heaven

William
Named to Kirkus Reviews' Best of 2011.
Recipient of the KIRKUS STAR:
“A French journalist encounters the American Civil War—and something even stranger—in 1861 Kentucky. Edouard de Grimouville, a supercilious French stringer for Horace Greeley’s New York Tribune, travels to the town of Somerset, Ky., on the eve of the Civil War—a conflict in which the neutral state is coveted by both sides. The newspaper’s better-known, more diligent and more talented (monsieur is somewhat lackadaisical) reporter
Flora Bateman
I won this thru Firstreads and appreciate the opportunity to review it.

I would have probably given this one closer to 2.5 stars but since we can't give half stars I was generous and rounded up instead of down. This is a story set in Kentucky during the time of the Civil War. Its written in journal fashion from the point of view of a 41yr old Frenchman thats there serving as a journalist. He spends most of his time drinking whiskey and talking about politics with Hugh Graham (who is an elderly h
Buzz Malone
Aug 01, 2011 Buzz Malone rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I took 'The Shield that Fell from Heaven' with me for a ride yesterday when I knew I'd have some extra time to read. I will tell you that I have a stack of books beside my bed that I am working on currently, and another stack on the dresser of upcoming reads.

I should also tell you that I tend only to read classic fiction and history as a general rule, but Goodreads has expanded my horizons a bit (still cringe at the thought of anything with vampires in it though).

With all of that in mind, I had
Dale Hahn
This is the most literate thing I’ve read in any genre in the past couple of years. As other reviewers say, the style does slow down the action a little at the beginning, though it picks up in a big way closer to the middle. I don’t know, though, that the more action-oriented part of the book would make sense without the sort of build-up that the author does in the first part. That’s especially the case since the book seems to want to do more than one thing.

I can see at least five things it’s tr
G
(This is a Good Reads giveaway. Thank you!)

It took me a while to really get into the book, and sometimes I was a little confused by the time line, but once I got to a certain point, things started to go better, and reading was easier. The historical element was very well explored, and this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of historical fiction. The characters weren't unlikable, but they weren't to die for either.

I think the strongest point of the book is the way the history is explored
Jun 02, 2013 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book as a Good Reads Giveaway.

I am part way through at the moment but life is not giving me many reading windows right now. I am enjoying it so far. A full review will follow vey soon I hope.
LM
Sep 29, 2011 LM marked it as to-read
Shelves: read4review
Won it through Goodreads Giveaway and just received it in the mail! I'm excited to read it! Will review when I'm finished reading! I'm thankful for the opportunity to read this book!
Matthew
William S. Kerr’s first novel, The Shield that Fell from Heaven, is a delightful surprise. It is not a book I would have expected to find from such a small publisher, Groton Jemez Publishing, and it is not a book I would have expected to find in this century. Indeed, had I been told it was written in the 19th, I would have believed it, at least until I came to a more modern science fiction element.

It is written as the journal of a Frenchman who, in 1861, on the eve of our War for Southern Indepe
Justin Tyner
A poignant statement of the state. Starts as a civil War journal by a Frenchman and ends completely upside down.
Larry
Feb 13, 2012 Larry marked it as to-read
I won this book from Goodreads as a First Reads giveaway**

Thank you to the Goodreads author for sending me a free copy of this book. Review to follow upon completion
Oldecat
Oldecat marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jamesfrangos
Jamesfrangos marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Sheree Gravenhorst
Sheree Gravenhorst is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2013
Violet
Violet is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2013
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Beth Leatherman
Beth Leatherman is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2013
Mcrawford
Mcrawford is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2013
Maymac
Maymac is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2013
Francis Baraan
Francis Baraan is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2013
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Ush
Ush marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Akchara.sriram
Akchara.sriram marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Peggy Bechko
Peggy Bechko marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Rebecca Hill
Rebecca Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
  • Escape from Verona
  • A Cruel Harvest
  • Facing Demons
  • Damage Control
  • Mortals & Deities (Genesis of Oblivion, #2)
  • No Evidence of a Crime
  • The Strip
  • Captivity
  • Dangerously Placed
  • Xtabentum: A Novel of Yucatan
  • Therapy, A Novel
  • Secret of the Scarab
  • Bewitched in Time (Salem Moon, #1)
Weather of Wolves (Weather of Wolves, #1) Regula