Start by marking “Six Bits a Day” as Want to Read:
Six Bits a Day

Six Bits a Day

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Hewey Calloway, one of the best-loved cowboys in all of Western fiction, returns in this novel of his younger years as he and his beloved brother Walter leave the family farm in 1889 to find work in the West Texas cow country.
The brothers are polar opposites. Walter pines for a sedate life as a farmer, with wife and children; Hewey is a fiddle-footed cowboy content to work
Published April 1st 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Six Bits a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Bits a Day

Rae
Two brothers hire on as cowhands and end up on a cattle drive from San Antonio to the Pecos River. Because one of the brothers is an impulsive, clever and lucky spendthrift, the journey is filled with lots of action and fun. A pleasant read.

"A man ain't poor for not havin' money. He's poor from wantin' too much."

"But he found that the longer he stood back and looked at a bad horse, the tougher the ride when it finally came."
Rosemary
Dec 05, 2009 Rosemary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of cowboys and early Texas
Recommended to Rosemary by: from the San Antonio library
This first book of the Hewey Calloway series shows a typical cowboy and the Texas of 1889. Elmer Kelton truly paints a good picture of it.
David
So often, a western novel is an action-packed story about who is faster, getting vegeance, or good versus evil. This book was so very different that I enjoyed it very, very much.

Instead of trying to write an action-packed western, Kelton sat down and tells a number of cowboy stories that are interlaced with one another. Oh, there is some fighting and even some shooting, but the real story is about the dreary work of a cowboy, working with some nice fellows, some jerks, and a tight-fisted boss w
Floyd
Learned a new term: "Whistle Berries" like in Campbell's pork and whistle berries.
Waven
A prequel to Good Old Boys, this Kelton story gives us a better view of young Hewey and Walter, how they grew up and found their way to west Texas (and beyond), how C. C. and Frank "Fat" entered the picture, and how the Calloway boys always seemed to find their way into trouble armed only with good intentions. It isn't as good as Good Old Boys, but then that's a hard one to beat in this genre. It certainly has some good laughs in it and a lot of good characters. I would have given it three and a ...more
Sandy Neal
I asked Elmer Kelton at a book signing for a book that did not have romance in it. He recommended this book.

This is mostly a tale of young men learning the ropes while working as ranchhands, punching cattle, following orders and such but it is also a book about how different the dreams of 2 brothers can be. It touches on the dangers inherent in living in Texas after the Indians were contained and land was open for the taking and buying.

I love the way Elmer Kelton told a story!
Crystal
This was my first "cowboy fiction" since I was about eleven. Elmer Kelton's books were on display at the library, so I thought, "why not try something different?" Although a simple plot and simple writing (I didn't have to look up any words in the dictionary), the characters are endearing and developed well. The dialog was believable and the morality and integrity demonstrated in the book was refreshing. I would definitely read another of his books.
Anafalz
This was a disappointing book. Only got a little ore halfway before I had to set it down out of sheer boredom. It fails to live up to the first two of the series, "The Good Old Boys" and "The Smiling Country."

As a prequel I expected a little disconnect into it. But the writing seemed forced and bored, as if Kelton had no desire to write it.

So, feel fee to get it but do not spend much on it and prepare to be disappointed.
Peter Charleston
This is not a shoot them up western, it relates to the normal life of a cowboy in Texas. I felt Mr. Elmer Kelton provided a fine portrayal of the characters along with a nice plot. Hewey seems to find himself with problems while his brother Walter would like nothing better than to settle down. Overall an enjoyable reading adventure.
Jeff Dickison
A good entry to the Hewey Calloway series this is a prequel to The Good Old Boys. All your favorites are here: Hewey, Walter, C.C. Tarpley, Fats Gervin, Eve and even Snort Yarnell. A fun read and probably much truer to life than most westerns. Enjoyably recommended.
Kathy  Petersen
It's just a cowboy book, but boy, was it fun. The Calloway brothers join a cattle drive and get into various adventures. No attempt at great literature, but Kelton's writing is more than decent and his plot easy-going and absorbing.
B. Crocker
This was a lot of fun to read. I enjoyed not only how Elmer Kelton portrayed the cowboy point of view but also the way of speaking. I've gotten all my family to read it. Elmer Kelton did it again with this one.
Nathan Beck
A prequel to "Good Old Boys". Thanks to my father in law, I've really enjoyed reading Kelton.
Muld00n
Pure cowboy entertainment.
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Tate Shannon
Tate Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Elmer Kelton (1926-2009) was award-winning author of more than forty novels, including The Time It Never Rained, Other Men’s Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and ...more
More about Elmer Kelton...
The Time It Never Rained The Good Old Boys The Day the Cowboys Quit The Buckskin Line (Texas Rangers, #1) The Pumpkin Rollers